Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 107266 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1110 on: Mar 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM »
I was hoping Final Flight of the Osiris would be in HD but from what I heard the Animatrix is in SD lang ...  :'(

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1111 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 12:00 AM »
Downloads of 20GB 720p files from torrent sites are said to take 3-4 hours in the UK with DSL throughputs averaging 1.5mbps.   50GB 1080p files would last longer and will require overnight downloads so you can sleep through them.  Definitely 160gbps speeds are a welcome development. But I think the article talks about optical networks to allow this and you have to uprade some devices,  I wonder what these devices are.  I don't know how ISPs like  PLDT DSL and SMART Bro still struggling to get 300kbps thrroughputs will benefit from this. 

As far I  understood the articles, the IBM optical chipset will operate only on fiber optics; hence, FTTP (Fiber to the Premises) would be a prerequisite to its operation. 

Since even in the U.S., very few homes have fiber optic connections until now, it seems that the technology would not be able to take off at this time or in the near future.  Nevertheless, what is important is that research is heading in the right direction. 

What are the devices that have to be upgraded?  I have no idea. Those upgrading devices probably don't even exist yet. As far as I understood it, the IBM press release was merely intended to generate public awareness.  They came up with the "HD movie download in 1 second" tag line so that the general public can easily comprehend the mind-boggling speed and potential application of this technology.

For the home video enthusiast community, this kind of potential download speed serves as an indication that HD-DVD and Blu ray might well be the last disc-based video formats.  The next generation of higher-than-1080p resolution HD home videos will probably go the way of video-on-demand via lightning-fast downloads on fiber optics. 
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007 at 08:50 PM by barrister »

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1112 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 07:02 PM »
I was hoping Final Flight of the Osiris would be in HD but from what I heard the Animatrix is in SD lang ...  :'(

Crap, I already have 2 versions of that. Don't want third >:( >:( >:(

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #1113 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 08:08 PM »
Crap, I already have 2 versions of that. Don't want third >:( >:( >:(

Triple dipping?   ;D ;D ;D

Time to sell or give away the SD versions.  ;D
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1114 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 08:29 PM »

For the home video enthusiast community, this kind of potential download speed serves as an indication that HD-DVD and Blu ray might well be the last disc-based video formats.  The next generation of higher-than-1080p resolution HD home videos will probably go the way of video-on-demand via lightning-fast downloads on fiber optics. 

Heard the same sentiments in other AV forums.  There's every observation to support that.  Coz as it is, there are already HD downloads being done in the UK and US for 720p video materials.  And at the rate HD DVD and BD are progressing, or not progressing, HD downloads just could stop these HD discs from becoming as mainstream as DVD.  You really just need real broadband throughputs in excess of 1.5mbps.  And that's fairly common for ADSL/DSL home connections in the UK and other industrialized countries.  And I heard the next PS4 and Xbox won't even have disc trays anymore.  Because the games will execute online from a remote ultra-speed server.  ;D

Oh BTW, 160gbps will actually download about 4 HD movies in 1080p.  ;D  The now infamous ripped Serendipity HD DVD movie is just around 40Gb total.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007 at 08:38 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1115 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 08:58 PM »
Oh BTW, 160gbps will actually download about 4 HD movies in 1080p.  ;D  The now infamous ripped Serendipity HD DVD movie is just around 40Gb total.

Amazing!  4 HD movies per second!

For now, the potential customers are the massive corporate users such as google and yahoo.  Malayo pa yan sa home video, pero mabuti na yung alam natin ang pupuntahan ng technology.  Para hindi ko na naririnig yung mga nagsasabing "future proof" na daw yung gear na bibilhin niya  ;D 

Kagaya ng flat panel screens, I thought that 1080 resolutions would be the highest home video res for a very long time, but after reading this article on Sharp's super high res LCD, I'm not so sure anymore: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39029474,49288581,00.htm

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007 at 09:22 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1116 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
Yup, only to corporations that have rich multimedia traffic.    At home, I really will be quite happy if Smart Bro can just manage 500kbps consistently.  1mbps throughput seems a dream for home internet. I won't even dare imagine 1 gbps.  Even that will be heaven already.  As I can download a 40GB HD movie file in a blazing 40 secs.   ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1117 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 10:03 PM »
HD DVD Promotions Group Touts 2007 Release Line-Up; Reveals More Upcoming Titles (ZZZZzzzz...)

"With the continued support of five major studios, the HD DVD Promotions Group has issued a new press release touting the format's summer 2007 release schedule, including a peek at more upcoming titles.

Led by HD DVD-exclusive backer Universal Studios Home Entertainment, over 70 HD DVD titles are now due for release throughout the first half of 2007.

The press release, outlines every title officially announced on the format through early summer, including Universal's most extensive batch of recently-unveiled June catalog releases, as well as such major hits as DreamWorks' first foray into next-gen, 'Dreamgirls,' and Warner's just-announced 'Matrix' trilogy box sets.

But most notable is the preview included at the end of the release of Universal's July HD DVD line-up, which the studio has not yet officially announced (though it has been long been rumored on the web). Among the hits due in that wave include 'Shaun of the Dead,' 'Dante's Peak,' 'Streets of Fire,' 'In Good Company' and 'The Bourne Identity.'

Also sprinkled into the schedule are a number of music releases due in June which have also not been given official announcements, including new HD DVD releases from such classic bands as Yes, Deep Purple and Santana."

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007 at 10:04 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1118 on: Mar 29, 2007 at 11:45 PM »

Kagaya ng flat panel screens, I thought that 1080 resolutions would be the highest home video res for a very long time, but after reading this article on Sharp's super high res LCD, I'm not so sure anymore: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39029474,49288581,00.htm

Nice.  It just proves LCD tech is not size limited as before and can match any size Plasma tech can deliver.  Also, with 4000x2000 native resolution, you can expect the next next generation HD DVD and BD players to be upscaling the 1080p discs soon.  This, or the Ultra Definition Sharp wil do the upscaling.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1119 on: Mar 30, 2007 at 08:15 AM »

Barrister Bro, not sure if it was you but I recall reading in this forum that somebody is wondering why Sharp is so damn popular in Japan (still nearly 60% share of that market) compared to any other LCD brand especially the renowned Sony Bravia.  This is one of the primary reasons.  Sharp has always been the undisputed leader in LCD R&D since the days of the calculator that the Japanese market soooo closely attaches Sharp to all LCD applications.  They completely stopped producing all other forms of TV and non-selling products to concentrate on the technology they've always known best and it certainly paid off in billions of revenues.  Kaya lang, they are certainly not that Sharp when it comes to marketing outside Japan, in Southeast Asia for instance.  Well, it's quite tough to match the brand recognition of Sony worldwide and the price level of the Koreans and the Chinese.  Na OT na naman yata ako...Peace...but yeah, the competing hi-def disc formats better be future-proof enough to have the upgradability to resolutions much higher than 1080p. 

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1120 on: Mar 30, 2007 at 08:26 AM »
Yup, only to corporations that have rich multimedia traffic.    At home, I really will be quite happy if Smart Bro can just manage 500kbps consistently.  1mbps throughput seems a dream for home internet. I won't even dare imagine 1 gbps.  Even that will be heaven already.  As I can download a 40GB HD movie file in a blazing 40 secs.   ;D

Just too many bottlenecks and clogged arteries in existing networks really.  Last night, I was downloading some sample hi-def clips and depending on the site, my throughput fluctuated from 350kbps up to 8mbps even though my ISP is 100mbps fiber optic system.   So before I even think about giga-bps, I would be most thrilled if I could actually experience the maximum potential speed of my existing system.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2007 at 08:27 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1121 on: Mar 30, 2007 at 08:47 AM »
Wala pa nga ako sa 1080p.....nasa 720p pa lang......enjoy na muna natin current HD format.... ;D ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1122 on: Mar 30, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
Wala pa nga ako sa 1080p.....nasa 720p pa lang......enjoy na muna natin current HD format.... ;D ;D

My solution so far is to watch real close on a 37V LCD or 32 inch CRT HDTV, so kahit 720p or 1080i yung content grabe ang visual immersion,   but that is not advisable if you have projection screen. 

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1123 on: Mar 30, 2007 at 07:35 PM »
'Children of Men' HD DVD Hits Xbox 360 Playback Snag?

"We've received numerous reader reports that Universal's new 'Children of Men' HD DVD is a bit of lemon for some Xbox 360 owners, due to incompatibility problems with the console's HD DVD add-on drive.

'Children of Men' hit stores earlier this week on March 27, as one of the most highly-anticipated HD DVD releases on the format thus far, and as our Kenneth Brown wrote in his recent review of the disc, it apparently boasts stellar video and audio. Unfortunately, more than a few Xbox 360 owners have had issues playing it on the device's popular HD DVD add-on drive, with many of our readers writing in to say that the disc simply won't play, and that even multiple returns of the disc have produced the same issue.

When testing the disc out on our own Xbox 360 add-on HD DVD drive, we had the same results -- the disc spins in the tray, but is seemingly unrecognized by the system. A black screen and a reboot threw us back to the Microsoft Dashboard menu regardless of how many times we continued to try and load the film. We tried this dic on another Xbox 360 and found the same problem. Strangely, that tryout was even more unsuccessful -- we didn't even make it to a black screen, it simply spun the disc longer than usual and remained at the Dashboard menu.

We should note that since word of these issues first emerged, readers have also written in to say that the disc plays back fine on their Xbox 360 devices, while others have reported playback problems with the disc on Toshiba's XA2 player (we had no such issues on our XA2).

We've contacted both Microsoft and Universal, but have not yet received any official word on whether it is a hardware problem, a software problem, or both."

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #1124 on: Mar 31, 2007 at 07:16 AM »
yup I read about this, this sucks i wanna get this title but im holding back bec of this

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1125 on: Mar 31, 2007 at 03:29 PM »
My solution so far is to watch real close on a 37V LCD or 32 inch CRT HDTV, so kahit 720p or 1080i yung content grabe ang visual immersion,   but that is not advisable if you have projection screen. 

I do this too, even if I have a projection screen. I notice the images on my 32" LCD are so clear and colors are more lush (but maybe not natural, but still I prefer lush). The images on a PJ screen OTH, are big, captures the movie feel, but not as clear & rich as a small screen, though colors are more natural.

So if someone tells me to go HD, I usually joke that all I have to do is to watch on my bedroom LCD. Bec of the small size, it doesnt pale in comparison to the HD demo's I saw in LIS in clarity & saturation, talo lang sa size, LOL.

I even installed an HT for my good friend that I B.I.'ed just this week into the HT hobby. He was using a 27" CRT TV via crappy composite cable & generic DVDp. I couldnt complain of the pic quality at that size. Watched a DVD w/ my friend and didnt feel too much of a lack of impact from a small display. 

ERGO:

Regarding PQ vs SQ mentioned a few posts before. I know its a matter of personal preferences, but for me, as a fan of action movies, I would still prioritize investing in a better sound system rather than a kick@$$ display. For me, better sound makes a movie more immersive than a better display. Its quite obvious in the way I prioritize & spend for my HT.  :D

But thats just me. Kanya kanya naman tayo eh.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2007 at 03:34 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline NeilNo

• DVD Guru
  • PSN:redoctober
  • Liked:
« Reply #1126 on: Apr 01, 2007 at 12:55 AM »
'Children of Men' HD DVD Hits Xbox 360 Playback Snag?

"We've received numerous reader reports that Universal's new 'Children of Men' HD DVD is a bit of lemon for some Xbox 360 owners, due to incompatibility problems with the console's HD DVD add-on drive.

'Children of Men' hit stores earlier this week on March 27, as one of the most highly-anticipated HD DVD releases on the format thus far, and as our Kenneth Brown wrote in his recent review of the disc, it apparently boasts stellar video and audio. Unfortunately, more than a few Xbox 360 owners have had issues playing it on the device's popular HD DVD add-on drive, with many of our readers writing in to say that the disc simply won't play, and that even multiple returns of the disc have produced the same issue.

When testing the disc out on our own Xbox 360 add-on HD DVD drive, we had the same results -- the disc spins in the tray, but is seemingly unrecognized by the system. A black screen and a reboot threw us back to the Microsoft Dashboard menu regardless of how many times we continued to try and load the film. We tried this dic on another Xbox 360 and found the same problem. Strangely, that tryout was even more unsuccessful -- we didn't even make it to a black screen, it simply spun the disc longer than usual and remained at the Dashboard menu.

We should note that since word of these issues first emerged, readers have also written in to say that the disc plays back fine on their Xbox 360 devices, while others have reported playback problems with the disc on Toshiba's XA2 player (we had no such issues on our XA2).

We've contacted both Microsoft and Universal, but have not yet received any official word on whether it is a hardware problem, a software problem, or both."

Not all.. I have it and I watched COM 3 times already with no problems at all. This ones a good movie for your surrounds lalo na sa "building siege" part - you can hear the bullets whizzing by, the LFE explosions and the gunfire exchange between the rebels and the military.

Cheers!
UN65H6400 3D, LN52A650, 55LW5600 3D, TX-NR636 7.2/5.2.2 Dolby Atmos

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1127 on: Apr 01, 2007 at 07:28 AM »
Nice NeilNo...already watched 3 times!  :D 

Good to hear your positiv ecomments. Will pick up this tittle very soon.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2007 at 07:56 AM by pchin »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1128 on: Apr 01, 2007 at 07:55 AM »
Universal Goes Non-Combo with 'Army of Darkness,' ' Unleashed' Reissues
Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 02:55 PM ET

"In the first example of a studio "demoting" a combo release, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will re-issue 'Army of Darkness' and 'Unleashed' as stand-alone HD DVD titles this June.

Universal first released both 'Army of Darkness' and 'Unleashed' last year as HD DVD/DVD combos, at the format's slightly higher $34.95 price tag. The studio is now discontinuing those versions from the market, and re-issuing both as $29.95 HD DVD-only versions on June 26.

Specs and features remain the same -- Universal is simply dropping the standard-def DVD side, with no other changes to the discs' content.

The move comes as a bit of a surprise, since only a couple of months ago, the studio was touting an aggressive release strategy that would see an estimated 90 percent of its entire HD DVD 2007 line-up go combo. However, over the past several weeks, the studio has announced its HD DVD release schedule all the way through July, and not a single catalog title is a combo.

Of Universal's 2007 titles announced thus far, only new release theatrical hits, including the recently-announced 'The Hitcher' and 'Alpha Dog,' are slated to be combos.

No word has come from Universal on just what the strategy is behind their seeming about-face on combos. Perhaps the lower price point on HD DVD-only catalog titles will prove more attractive to consumers, and help further drive sales? Certainly, with the news of Blu-ray's success with titles like 'Casino Royale,' which last week became the first next-gen title to ship over 100,000 copies, the battle for sales bragging rights is certainly more competitive than ever.

We'll keep you posted on any further Universal conversions of combo titles to HD DVD-only releases. We've also added new listings for both 'Army of Darkness' and 'Unleashed' to our HD DVD Release Schedule, under June 26."
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2007 at 07:55 AM by pchin »

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1129 on: Apr 01, 2007 at 05:20 PM »
Hi Guys

Just bought a xbox hd dvd player with a free King Kong disc and a remote. I was blown away by the clarity of the picture. It is connected to my panasonic pv500a plasma not 1080p but 1080i. You couldn't see the difference anyway between the two. You can see the detail of these video, if you have seen it  you won't go back to watching standard dvd discs anymore. Got the xbox because it is a cheaper alternative than the PS3, I did not regret it. Only problem is the availability of discs here down under.\

regards,
Bonjit 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1130 on: Apr 01, 2007 at 05:54 PM »
Welcome on board bonjit & glad you've decided to join the HD-DVD camp... ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2007 at 05:54 PM by pchin »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1131 on: Apr 01, 2007 at 07:22 PM »
National Geographic - Relentless Enemies HD-DVD

Those that are considering the above tittle may have to think twice as there's a compatibility issue reported on HD players inclusive Tosh HD-A2, HD-XA2 and MS Xbox 360 add-on. However, a member reported firmware updates is coming soon in may for the A2 & XA2. Hopefully, it will resolv ethis concern.

Luckily Tosh 1st gen HD-A1 is spared from the same fate. 
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2007 at 07:22 PM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1132 on: Apr 01, 2007 at 10:23 PM »
The HD DVD add-on drive (Jap version) is down to $135 at Play-Asia. 

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #1133 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 04:48 PM »
What's the best way to get an HD DVD player?  Ang mahal kasi ng player being sold in the local stores...

May linaw na ba which format is winning?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1134 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 05:10 PM »
Not in 2007.

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #1135 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 05:13 PM »
I guess I'll just wait.... ;D....and make do with upscaling muna

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1136 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 05:43 PM »
It's a gamble at this point of time to say which format will win. Getting involved now is a risk.  ::)

Yes, waiting is the best solution for the time being. Too bad I lack the patient....  ;D

Offline Lantis

• Collector
  • Dattebayo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1137 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
Yes, waiting is the best solution for the time being. Too bad I lack the patient....  ;D

wala rin akong patience!! kabibili ko lang ng Pioneer 696 but I am left wanting more...  ::)
Back from the grave!

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1138 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 06:06 PM »
watching in HD is definitely a treat 8)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1139 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 06:07 PM »
It's a gamble at this point of time to say which format will win. Getting involved now is a risk.  ::)

Pchin, the fact that you can afford a Yamaha receiver with HDMI, you don't have to feel sorry for being impatient.   :)

Last time I checked (and that was last Saturday), the cheapest Yamaha with HDMI in Tokyo is about Yen150,000.   I can buy a PS3, an Xbox360 with add-on, and about 15 HD movies for that money. :) :) :)