Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106910 times)

Offline crey014

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Buongiorno a Tutti!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1260 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 05:31 PM »
I am so tempted to go to HD-DVDs because they have some titles that I WOULD LOVE TO OWN in HD

America: "Lost in Translation", "Eternal Sunshine", "Children of Men", "V for Vendetta", "King Kong"
Germany: "Perfume: Story of a Murderer"
France: "Mulholland Drive" (My heart sank when I saw this in HD-DVD), "Ran", "The Chorus", "Renaissance"

Bring out more quality titles Blu-Ray! Not freaking "Employee of the Month".  >:(

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1261 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 05:38 PM »
Let me guess, assuming there are 3M PS3 owners, the total user base of BD is approximately 3,005,000 give or take some thousands.  :)  Still a whole lot more than the 100K standalone HD DVDs combined with perhaps some hundreds of thousands of HD DVD add-on drive owners. 

So the difference in disk sales figures is only "1.2M less 0.937M"?   Interesting. 

true, what i wanted to know is the number of standalone players other than the ps3, then again the ps3 is the best blu ray player so far.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1262 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 06:05 PM »
I am so tempted to go to HD-DVDs because they have some titles that I WOULD LOVE TO OWN in HD

Speaking of tittles, we are only in quarter two.... I can't imagine what other titles will be released in Qtr 3 & 4! More goodies to come...that's for sure  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2007 at 10:00 PM by pchin »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1263 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 06:55 PM »
Let me guess, assuming there are 3M PS3 owners, the total user base of BD is approximately 3,005,000 give or take some thousands.  :)  Still a whole lot more than the 100K standalone HD DVDs combined with perhaps some hundreds of thousands of HD DVD add-on drive owners. 

So the difference in disk sales figures is only "1.2M less 0.937M"?   Interesting. 

That's because only a fraction of PS3 owners use them as BD players.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1264 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 07:12 PM »
HD DVD camp unable to confirm Wal-Mart HD DVD player

The biggest news to hit the format war in some time hit last week with word that Wal-Mart and China's Great Wall corporation struck a deal to bring inexpensive HD DVD players to market. While this is would be great news for all HD fans, we were left a bit worrisome by the translation dispute between the two camps. Just to make sure we had our facts straight, we updated the post and contacted HD DVD to get the full story. While the HD DVD camp reminded us that they have inexpensive players from China on the way, they weren't able to confirm any "specific reports relating to Wal-Mart". It seems to us that if this were indeed true, that the HD DVD camp would be the first to trumpet its significance to their success in the format war. As much as we all want inexpensive next generation HD disc players, we will just have to wait for something more official before we hold off on our purchases waiting for Wal-Mart.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/24/hd-dvd-camp-unable-to-confirm-wal-mart-hd-dvd-player/
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1265 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 03:38 PM »
akala ko nawala na yung thread...... lol

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1266 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 04:17 PM »
Now HD has its very own section.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007 at 04:34 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1267 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 05:11 PM »
finally ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1268 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 05:13 PM »
yes, its just appropriate timing.  Many guys have been up for adoption lately.   Thanks to the Mods for heeding the call.  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1269 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 09:17 PM »
Great news!  :D

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1270 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 10:43 PM »
nice to see this new HD section

but i'm not really sold to this HD and Blu-ray thing yet.
there's just not much difference with picture quality unless you have a
50 inch screen.

the jump in picture quality from DVD to HD or Blu-ray isn't as huge
as compared to VHS to DVD where even on a small screen there was a huge difference.

maybe when star wars comes out :D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1271 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 11:41 PM »
the jump in picture quality from DVD to HD or Blu-ray isn't as huge
as compared to VHS to DVD where even on a small screen there was a huge difference.

I agree, most of the movies I watched tho' sharp were grainy but still, there is noticeable improvement on an 80" display. If you are not impressed w/ the PQ there are other reasons to upgrade and go HD like the clearer audio quality and that PIP thing they call 'U-control' where you can access commentaries, bloopers, artworks and other extras on the fly w/o stopping the movie and going to the root or title menu. very convenient.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1272 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 11:45 PM »
. . . and speaking of convenience . . . madali na maghanap ngayon everything about HD. . . o ha. :D Kudos to all the mods! Tenkyu po. . .

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1273 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 12:13 PM »
Kudos to the mods for this new HD section.

Take note, they even got the hyphen right.  No hyphen for "HD DVD"; with hyphen for "Blu-ray".   ;)

================================================================

Fuh Yuan retracts $299 Wal-Mart HD DVD statement
Posted Apr 26th 2007 11:10PM by Darren Murph

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/26/fuh-yuan-retracts-299-wal-mart-hd-dvd-statement/

Wal-Mart Shoots Down Cheap HD DVD Rumor

... A spokesperson for the company said Thursday that reported leak concerning Taiwan-based consumer electronics manufacturer, Fuh Yuan, partnering with TDK in China to manufacture the $250-299 players, had no merit.

xxx

On Thursday, the following statement appeared on Fuh Yuan's site:

"We are sorry to correct the statement that we have two million HD-DVD players order from Wal-Mart and manufactured by China Great Wall Group," Fuh Yuan said. "The actuality is that we had not received yet. We are asked to provide the schedule to Wal-Mart and cost to determine the quantity even more than two million, if the cost is good enough and timing is correct. So the capacity is under consideration. Any qualified manufactured base group will be welcome."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2122715,00.asp

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2007 at 12:35 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1274 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 10:28 AM »
Number of discs sold:

If you look at the figure 1.2 million for bluray and 937,500 for hddvd so far, To me its still too close to call...

It's even closer, considering that the latest HD DVD sales figures are now at 998,000. 

What I don't get is why observers are making such a big deal out of 1.2 million discs, when this figure, if placed in a proper perspective, is a dismally insignificant number.

Take UMD, for example.  How many movie discs has this format sold? 

Well, the latest stat I can find on the net was released way back in 2005, claiming a sales figure of 8.2 milion copies of UMD movies.

More than 8.2 million copies later, most people still don't even know what the hell a UMD is.  That's how insignificant 8.2 million discs are.  But for Blu-ray fanboys, a measly 1.2 million copies sold and they think the war is over.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007 at 01:14 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1275 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 04:03 PM »
Take note, they even got the hyphen right.  No hyphen for "HD DVD"; with hyphen for "Blu-ray".   ;)

I always got it wrong...got used to putting the hyphen  :-X

Offline Lantis

• Collector
  • Dattebayo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1276 on: May 02, 2007 at 08:35 AM »
Universal Breaks Silence on HD DVD Playback Issues; Announces Disc Replacement Program

After weeks of persistent complaints from early adopters, Universal has issued a statement regarding playback issues with several of their most recent HD DVD releases.

The issues first surfaced in late March when 'Children of Men' was released on HD DVD, and consumers experienced inconsistent playback problems on both the Xbox 360 add-on and other stand-alone HD DVD playback devices. Since then, readers have reported similar playback issues on 'The Good Shepherd' and other more recently released Universal titles.

While the studio had been mum on the topic for over a month, today they issued a statement to High-Def Digest acknowledging the problems, and initiated a disc replacement program for affected consumers. The studio's full statement follows below:

"Universal is currently investigating reports that Children of Men, The Good Shepherd, and select other discs not playing properly in some HD DVD players. While we believe this is limited to a small number of HD DVD discs, Universal is offering a replacement service for any customers who are experiencing this problem. We are still investigating the cause and will provide further updates as we get them. Any customer problems should be directed to [email protected]."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Technical_Glitches/Universal/Universal_Breaks_Silence_on_HD_DVD_Playback_Issues_Announces_Disc_Replacement_Program/603
Back from the grave!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1277 on: May 03, 2007 at 08:32 AM »
Tensilica Offers Dolby Digital Plus 7.1-Channel Decoder for HD DVD Players, Blu-ray Disc Players, and Set-Top Boxes

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – May 1, 2007 – Tensilica, Inc. today announced that it will deliver a Dolby Digital Plus 7.1-channel decoder designed for HD DVD players, Blu-ray Disc players, and set-top boxes. Tensilica will also offer a Dolby Digital Plus 5.1-channel decoder/converter to ensure compatibility with most existing home theater systems equipped with coaxial or optical digital audio inputs. These two optimized decoders have been approved by Dolby for use with Tensilica’s popular HiFi 2 Audio Engine for Xtensa processors and the Diamond Standard 330HiFi audio processor core.

Full article:
http://www.tensilica.com/news_events/pr_2007_05_01.htm

Offline Lantis

• Collector
  • Dattebayo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1278 on: May 03, 2007 at 05:48 PM »
To those who has "the itch" to jump to HD like me

10 Reasons Why High Definition DVD Formats Have Already Failed

I know the article is almost a year already, but reading it stopped my itching a bit... little bit lang ;D
Back from the grave!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1279 on: May 03, 2007 at 06:12 PM »
Yes the fact that the format wars are already a year old and both are still poised to release major titles just thrashes this article which I've also read last year and was about to rebut it point by point in audioholics but thought better and didn't.  I'd be up against the site "guru" Clint De Boer.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007 at 06:13 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1280 on: May 03, 2007 at 09:12 PM »
It's an old & obsolete article.

There are many changes & improvements na now so the article should be taken only as a grain of salt. ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1281 on: May 03, 2007 at 11:18 PM »
Toshiba Ramps Up LCD TV and HD DVD Marketing With Launch of New Brand Campaigns

Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. ("Toshiba") announced today the launch of new marketing initiatives to support the company's rapidly growing HD DVD and REGZA brands. The combination of an HD DVD player and a REGZA 1080p LCD TV results in an incredible high definition home movie experience. Highlighting each product's attributes, technology and style, the two new ad campaigns emphasize the quality and entertainment experience that REGZA and HD DVD provide.

Full article:
http://www.sys-con.com/read/370003.htm

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1282 on: May 08, 2007 at 12:04 PM »
US$299 HD DVD players unlikely this year

On the heels of the Fuh Yuan Electronic Development admitting that it has not received orders from Wal-Mart for two million HD DVD players at a target retail price of US$299, industry sources commented that it is unlikely that HD DVD players will fall to such a low price this year.

The sources explained that global supply of HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) pick-up heads (PUHs) is still tight because yield rates on blue-laser laser diodes are quite low and the world's major suppliers of such PUHs, including Sony and Matsucrapa (Panasonic), have assigned their production capacities for own use first. Since PUHs and chipsets together account for 60-70% of the production costs of HD DVD and BD players, the shortage of PUHs renders it almost impossible to minimize the production costs to below US$299 this year, the sources noted.

Other industry sources summed it up by saying any HD DVD player selling for US$299 this you would be priced below production costs.

Fuh Yuan Electronic Development found itself in a bit of hot water last month when its president, Hung-chi Teng, was cited in a Chinese-language Eastern Multimedia report as saying that the company had received orders from Wal-Mart for two million HD DVD players. In response, Wal-Mart denied the claims and Fuh Yuan had to issue a press release on April 26 saying that Wal-Mart had only inquired about possible schedules and costs of producing such HD DVD players.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20070502PD215.html

Offline crey014

• Collector
  • Buongiorno a Tutti!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1283 on: May 08, 2007 at 05:30 PM »
Is it true you can use the XBOX 360 HD DVD add on drive on a microsoft computer? If it works, I'm getting one tomorrow. :D

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1284 on: May 08, 2007 at 05:51 PM »
Yes it does, you just need to install a driver if you are using XP pag Vista plug and play.

Offline crey014

• Collector
  • Buongiorno a Tutti!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1285 on: May 08, 2007 at 07:08 PM »
A What Now? What driver is it? I'm too excited to think! I'm going to be neurtral sooner than I thought if I can pull this off.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1286 on: May 09, 2007 at 07:10 AM »
I guess Tosh A2 is still a good buy considering theres a mail in rebate of 5 HD DVDs.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1287 on: May 09, 2007 at 09:12 AM »
A What Now? What driver is it? I'm too excited to think! I'm going to be neurtral sooner than I thought if I can pull this off.

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/11/8303/

I almost forgot, you need the latest version of cyberlink powerdvd to play hd dvd movies from your pc.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1288 on: May 10, 2007 at 11:01 AM »
Rumour: Largest HD-DVD studio, Universal, going neutral

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-38720.aspx
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline john5479