Author Topic: Acoustic Energy Speakers  (Read 94777 times)

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Acoustic Energy Speakers
« on: Dec 31, 2003 at 01:16 AM »
hi guys,

have you heard this speakers??? Pls give feedback.... balita ko kasi magagnda din ang mga ito eh... ;D

Offline LtCool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Ass U Were
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Acoustic Energy Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003 at 04:39 AM »
Planning to upgrade bro?

Cheers,
-LtCool-

Offline Machine

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2003 at 12:04 PM »
I listened to the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo One in Upscale Audio (connected to a Rotel RA-01 amp).  In one word.... superb!

Of course it was connected to a very good amp, but when I auditioned it with another speaker, the difference was huge.

Off-hand I'd say that the tonal balance was excellent, frequency response was nicely extended considering the bass driver's size, soundstage and depth were beautifully expansive yet focused, detail and clarity were also very good, over-all, sound reproduction was highly natural.

This particular model is a five-star What Hi-Fi awardee, and it won the 2002 model of the year.  In the same price range though, it was replaced in the 2003 awards by the Monitor Audio B2.  But still, the Acoustic Energy home theater package reigns as 2003's model of the year.  The only slight problem is price.  In the UK, the Evo Ones are a little cheaper than the B2s (though I think they are better), but here, the B2s are only around 12k, while the Evo Ones are over 16k.  Though in my opinion, it's still good value-for-money.  I would rank its performance equal to B&W 601 S3, which is priced around 20k (I think).

In fact, I'm planning to buy a pair as soon as I sell my Polk Audio RT35i bookshelf speakers.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2003 at 12:08 PM by Machine »

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2003 at 12:29 PM »
I've have also heard the same model at upscale makati and noticed that even when the speakers were practically set up in the middle of the listening area, the bass was there. Impressive i woud say for such small speakers. The retail price is kind of high though imho.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2003 at 01:07 PM »
hi guys,

have you heard this speakers??? Pls give feedback.... balita ko kasi magagnda din ang mga ito eh... ;D

he he he simula ka na naman ha... Happy New Year!
money is best spent

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2004 at 03:36 PM »
i used to own the Aegis One, the older model... having heard many speakers in its price range, i think its one of those gems that compete well above its price (at that time they were priced around 12k)... it squares off against the B&W 601, Mission 780, MA B2, Tannoy R1, etc.

i regret having sold off 2 pairs last year (tama si superman, i should have kept 1 pair)... in fact i told the guy who bought it that if he wasn't happy with it, i'd buy it from him at no loss.  but he said nahh i won't sell it for sure... 3 months later i texted him to check if he was ready to sell it, and he replied: no, i'm still enjoying it.

bummer... the mids on those things were hard to beat.  there were times when i would play the same song over and over again before i sleep simply because the female voice sounded so darn good.  it also made me listen to choral tracks, which i was never into until i got these speakers.

and the bass is surprising coming from 5" woofers.  there is one track in the starbucks CD that produces sub-bass.  the Aegis One is the only bookshelf i've heard that makes me feel the bass in that track with my butt (because the leather covering of the sofa would vibrate).  i was expecting speakers with 6" woofers to do the same, but they couldn't, no sir.  the bass of the B2 is tighter but the Aegis goes lower.  the result: it can rock... on the downside, the bass isn't very tight especially when played loud.

there's one area where i think the Aegis was a little weak and that's in the very high frequencies.  there is a slight rolloff in the treble that tames the edginess from bad recordings, but also diminishes the detail in HT and good recordings.  it needs matching with the right amp and the right ears.  personally i'm not a big fan of treble brightness and extreme detail (though i still like to hear alot of detail, just not at the expense of fatigue) so i loved this speaker for audio... but HT was a different story.

strange thing about audioreview, they removed the Aegis One from the listing... i remember there were about 70+ consumer reviews with an average of 4.86 out of 5.00.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2004 at 05:30 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 05:04 PM »
AE Aegis Evo 3B Speaker Package - Product of the Year

In naming the AE speaker package "this year's best full-sized multichannel speaker set-up," they said, "Those who take their hi-fi and home cinema seriously won't find a set-up to better the Evo 3B at this price."

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 05:43 PM »
AE Aegis Evo 3B Speaker Package - Product of the Year

In naming the AE speaker package "this year's best full-sized multichannel speaker set-up," they said, "Those who take their hi-fi and home cinema seriously won't find a set-up to better the Evo 3B at this price."

paired with what AVR pre?  :)
money is best spent

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 05:49 PM »
paired with what AVR pre?  :)

hmmm dunno eh... been looking for an online version of the review but couldn't find any link to it... i got the info from the AE website under News:

26th September 2003

Product of the Year Award for the second year running

Acoustic Energy's AEGIS EVO 3B package won Product of the Year in the 'Full-size multi-channel speakers' category for the second year in a row at the prestigious What HiFi awards 2003.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2004 at 05:51 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 06:24 PM »
hmmmm. mukhang matindi itong AE na ito ha.

If I am going to buy an AE same class as MS 912 or B2, mga how much kaya?
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 06:33 PM »
Grabe yang speaker manufacturer na AE, one set of  tower model at spectra according to the sales person cost PhP800K. Expect more quality from this brand.

Offline Muttley

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 07:44 PM »
Try nyo AE Evo + RA971mkII. For me  :o :o :o

Offline bongerds

• Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 08:43 PM »
I own a pair of Aegis Evo1, bought it early 2002 after auditioning several bookshelves.  Included in my shortlist were JMLab Chorus 706/7, MA B2, Audience 42/52 & Aegis1 but when I heard the Evo1, I was surprised and amazed with the amount of bass and soundstage this baby can offer.  Kaya napabili agad ako.  Really good for rock, acoustic and excellent vocal jazz.  But I think I'll be happy with any of the above speakers.

Among the speakers in my list this is the heaviest at 7kgs each.  Rated 120 watts, 8-ohms with 89db sensitivity.  I'm currently using it with my TS Audio 34.1 and I should say it's a great match.  I'm also using this with my luxman solid state amp.  I think this speaker will match with most amps.

I also read in WHF that EVO3 beats B&W DM602.5 S3, HEco Xenon 600, Heybrook HB3, Jamo 850, KEF Q3 and 2 other floorstanders.

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 08:56 PM »
Grabe yang speaker manufacturer na AE, one set of  tower model at spectra according to the sales person cost PhP800K. Expect more quality from this brand.
is he pulling your leg? the most expensive acoustic energy in their line up is the reference series - AE1 now Mk III. it will cost you around 280,000 pesos, but that's a bookshelf.

the biggest floorstander AE309 is around 55,000 last year at upscale audio.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 10:55 AM »
i think the one displayed at spectra is the AE5 Reference which is now no longer in production... retail price then was $14,995 but now the street price has gone down to about $7,500.

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 10:58 AM »
i used to own the Aegis One, the older model... having heard many speakers in its price range, i think its one of those gems that compete well above its price (at that time they were priced around 12k)... it squares off against the B&W 601, Mission 780, MA B2, Tannoy R1, etc.

i regret having sold off 2 pairs last year (tama si superman, i should have kept 1 pair)... in fact i told the guy who bought it that if he wasn't happy with it, i'd buy it from him at no loss.  but he said nahh i won't sell it for sure... 3 months later i texted him to check if he was ready to sell it, and he replied: no, i'm still enjoying it.

bummer... the mids on those things were hard to beat.  there were times when i would play the same song over and over again before i sleep simply because the female voice sounded so darn good.  it also made me listen to choral tracks, which i was never into until i got these speakers.

and the bass is surprising coming from 5" woofers.  there is one track in the starbucks CD that produces sub-bass.  the Aegis One is the only bookshelf i've heard that makes me feel the bass in that track with my butt (because the leather covering of the sofa would vibrate).  i was expecting speakers with 6" woofers to do the same, but they couldn't, no sir.  the bass of the B2 is tighter but the Aegis goes lower.  the result: it can rock... on the downside, the bass isn't very tight especially when played loud.

there's one area where i think the Aegis was a little weak and that's in the very high frequencies.  there is a slight rolloff in the treble that tames the edginess from bad recordings, but also diminishes the detail in HT and good recordings.  it needs matching with the right amp and the right ears.  personally i'm not a big fan of treble brightness and extreme detail (though i still like to hear alot of detail, just not at the expense of fatigue) so i loved this speaker for audio... but HT was a different story.

strange thing about audioreview, they removed the Aegis One from the listing... i remember there were about 70+ consumer reviews with an average of 4.86 out of 5.00.

climbingmountain,  ;D ;D

nice review bro. was actually hoping that someone would make a review like the one you did comparing the AEs with others in its price range. kudos!

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 12:47 PM »
is he pulling your leg? the most expensive acoustic energy in their line up is the reference series - AE1 now Mk III. it will cost you around 280,000 pesos, but that's a bookshelf.

the biggest floorstander AE309 is around 55,000 last year at upscale audio.

just went to the AE website and checked out the specs of the AE1 MKIII reference series and saw that its sensitivity is rated at 87db. please correct me if im wrong, but i was under the impression that reference series speakers should have high sensitivity ratings, somewhere in the 90+ range . . .

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 01:46 PM »

oops sorry, i though they removed it... it's still in audioreview.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 07:12 PM »
Guys,

Any pictures of this babys maganda ito..

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 08:10 PM »
Guys,

Any pictures of this babys maganda ito..

AEGIS EVO SERIES

AESPRIT SERIES

AE1 SERIES

site: http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 08:58 PM »
i auditioned both Acoustic Energy Evo 3B package and Monitor Audio B4av2 package (consists of B4/B2/Bcenter/ASW sub).....though both are extremely superb speakers, i kinda leaned towards the MA as i "feel" they're more accurate....but if you get the AE evo 3B package, you wont go wrong, they're very good speakers.......i got the MA set for about Php75K equivalent

to nels76: if ur looking for AE's MA counterpart, that would be B4/B2/Bcenter/ASW sub package...they go head to head and have the same price ...the thing with this AE pack is they're kinda old esp the Evo1..but again, i say they're good

hth

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2004 at 12:18 PM »
I got the older AEGIS 1, definitely not for VIDEO, the high are rolled off...you be missing a lot of detail for  for Video...but this gives those with overlybright systems a perfect match

I hooked mine to an older Pioneer SA 9500 AMP and connected a pair of 12 inch woofers from the KEF 105/2 to a separate power AMP and the combination was IMHO ABSOLUTELY SUPERB !!!

This speaker would also work great alone in smaller rooms, but for larger rooms a subwoofer would be much appreciated !!!

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2004 at 04:03 PM »
Sir Julsp,

Thanks very nice picture yun aegis evo have almost same facade with MA b4 hehehe

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2004 at 05:04 AM »
hi guys,

i heard an analogy between the AE and MA from akyatbundok,

as far as he can remember its like comparing tube (AE) vs solidsate (MA) as far as music.... It still boils down to taste though...

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 12:55 PM »
James,

Was able to audition the EVO 3 with J_albert, JVM and Yukon.. pre mukhang another gem ito.. ganda balance din sound pre.. must audition ito for upgrading and looking for new speaker.. :D

Offline james16

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 03:12 PM »
James,

Was able to audition the EVO 3 with J_albert, JVM and Yukon.. pre mukhang another gem ito.. ganda balance din sound pre.. must audition ito for upgrading and looking for new speaker.. :D

buti pa kayo, narinig nyo na ah.... anyway, mukhang panibagong SARS na naman ito ah... ;D

Offline [slayer]

• Collector
  • Upgrade is Inevitable!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2004 at 03:19 PM »
Mukhang upgrade si Hans to AE... andito lang ako sa B4 mo if in case. Ahehehehe... ;D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2004 at 10:26 AM »
Slayer,

Di pwede sir hehehe love my B4 talaga.. ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2004 at 10:57 AM »
Ang ganda ng AE1  ;D

AEGIS EVO SERIES

AESPRIT SERIES

AE1 SERIES

site: http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2004 at 12:01 PM »
another addition to my wishlist. ::)  hayyyyyyyy  :-\ :-\ :-\  panibagong ipunan nanaman. dapat pala di ko na sinilip itong thread ng AE :-\