Author Topic: Hitachi 42PD8900TA  (Read 11114 times)

Offline tambutsoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hitachi 42PD8900TA
« Reply #30 on: Mar 24, 2007 at 11:22 PM »
Digital Tuner na ba ito?

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 11:44 AM »
Guys, I just noticed last night while watching Bourne Identity that there was indeed flickering on my Hitachi panel. The flickering occurs on dark scenes. Very strange. Care to shed some light into this matter? TIA. :)

I just called Hitachi Service Center (412-4755), and asked about this flicker issue. They said they haven't got any complaints about this issue. They said they'll call Hitachi main to inquire about this.

I encourage the Hitachi owners who have experienced this "flickering" to also call them and inform them of this issue. So that they'll be aware of it and not just dismiss it as an isolated case.

Offline chuckyboy

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 04, 2007 at 09:20 AM »
Guys how about 42PD9800TA model of hitachi or the new 50PD9800TA? Does it have the same flicker issues mentioned in this thread? I appreciate all inputs before I pull the trigger on the 50-incher. Thanks

The Cnet review on this model was superb though - giving it the editor's choice award.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 07, 2007 at 05:48 PM »
I just called Hitachi Service Center (412-4755), and asked about this flicker issue. They said they haven't got any complaints about this issue. They said they'll call Hitachi main to inquire about this.

I encourage the Hitachi owners who have experienced this "flickering" to also call them and inform them of this issue. So that they'll be aware of it and not just dismiss it as an isolated case.

They'd better know about it.  It's discussed on the 3 biggest English-speaking forums (AVS Forum, AV Forums and DTV Forum), so they should be aware of the market situation.  There are already 2 pinoydvd members who have noticed the problem. 

Why not send them an email with a link to the 4 forums.  Also, inform them that Hitachi Australia already has a service menu fix.

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 03:23 PM »
They'd better know about it.  It's discussed on the 3 biggest English-speaking forums (AVS Forum, AV Forums and DTV Forum), so they should be aware of the market situation.  There are already 2 pinoydvd members who have noticed the problem. 

Why not send them an email with a link to the 4 forums.  Also, inform them that Hitachi Australia already has a service menu fix.

I'm starting to doubt the customer service quality of Hitachi here. The technician that I talked to said that he will call me back upon consulting this issue with Hitachi's main. But I have to call them back for their feedback. Just called them and the technician was said to be out on home service. The lady on the customer service doesn't even know what was my complaint before, which means they haven't recorded it, which means they have not taken my concern seriously. 

I'm crossing my fingers, I hope I'm wrong with my perception of their service quality. I'll wait again for the call of the technician.

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 16, 2007 at 05:21 PM »
A technician from Hitachi visited me last Saturday to see what was the flickering issue that I raised. Unfortunately the flickering did not show up. Exactly what I'm afraid about when I raised the complaint. If there were, they're so subtle that if you have not seen it before, you wont notice it. Some of the instances that I pointed out is considered by the technician as just because of the shift in the lightings from the scene.

He said that it could be my settings are too low. We even had a small argument on how to set, because I said that I based my settings on the THX Optimizer and also on how movies looked like.

He may think I don't know what I was talking about and was just paranoid.  ;D

I just shared to him the site of AVS forums so he can read about what I was talking about.

If other owners of Hitachi here can also raise this issue if they have it, maybe they'll believe it.

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007 at 05:21 PM by jvm »

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 12:06 AM »
if you can, try to catch it on photo or video, or try to remember what scene of a particular dvd movie displays the flickering.

try the first scene of JURASSIC III, when the chute is near the island with the mountains in the background and see if you can notice flickering on the parachute's ropes as it glides.

"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 01:55 AM »
A technician from Hitachi visited me last Saturday to see what was the flickering issue that I raised. Unfortunately the flickering did not show up. Exactly what I'm afraid about when I raised the complaint. If there were, they're so subtle that if you have not seen it before, you wont notice it. Some of the instances that I pointed out is considered by the technician as just because of the shift in the lightings from the scene.

He said that it could be my settings are too low. We even had a small argument on how to set, because I said that I based my settings on the THX Optimizer and also on how movies looked like.

He may think I don't know what I was talking about and was just paranoid.  ;D

I just shared to him the site of AVS forums so he can read about what I was talking about.

If other owners of Hitachi here can also raise this issue if they have it, maybe they'll believe it.

Well, at least may dumating na technician.  Unfortunately, he did not seem to know anything about the flicker issue.

In your post #34 above, you said that they will consult this issue with "Hitachi's main".  What I'd like to know is whether or not they did in fact consult it, and if they did, the outcome of the consultation. 

Are they or are they not aware of the flicker issue?  Have they ever heard of the firmware update (even if the same appears to be ineffective)?  Are they or are they not aware of the service menu fix (which seems to have solved the problem in the Australian forum)? 
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007 at 02:04 AM by barrister »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 10:16 AM »

Well, at least may dumating na technician.  Unfortunately, he did not seem to know anything about the flicker issue.

In your post #34 above, you said that they will consult this issue with "Hitachi's main".  What I'd like to know is whether or not they did in fact consult it, and if they did, the outcome of the consultation. 

Are they or are they not aware of the flicker issue?  Have they ever heard of the firmware update (even if the same appears to be ineffective)?  Are they or are they not aware of the service menu fix (which seems to have solved the problem in the Australian forum)? 

At least nga dumating, mas maaga pa sa usapan namin.

He consulted Hitachi Singapore daw. Wala daw flickering issue sa Asia.  I also mentioned about the firmware and service menu fix. He even asked me what I meant by firmware. ;D They really don't know about it.

Sana may iba pang mag-complain, to make them aware of the extent of this issue.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 12:41 PM »
He even asked me what I meant by firmware. ;D

I really hate it when somebody puts it that way.  Instead of asking, "What do you mean by firmware", he should have candidly asked, "What is a firmware", para mas honest ang dating  ;D .

Sana may iba pang mag-complain, to make them aware of the extent of this issue.

As far as I know, there are only you and axn8882003 in this forum who have noticed the problem.  Dapat magreklamo din siya.  Munskie has a new Hitachi plasma 42PD9500TA, I'm waiting for him to say whether the flicker is present on his panel or not. 

In the meantime, maybe you can email Hitachi Australia and request them to forward the service menu settings to Hitachi Philippines.  Let's see what happens.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007 at 12:43 PM by barrister »

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 01:24 PM »
Guys, I just called Hitachi and talked to a guy named Jas. He said that the flickering is "normal". "Para lumiwanag ang mga dark scenes."  ???  >:( Diba kaya nga dark scenes, kasi kelangan "dark".

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 02:07 PM »
Now that confirms it ... Confirmed na wala ka na talagang pag-asa sa Hitachi Philippines kung may reklamo ka sa flickering.

Huwag nilang sabihing walang problema, since this is a known issue.  At huwag nilang sabihin na maarte lang tayo.  Kaya nga tayo bumili ng plasma dahil maarte tayo, e.  Pasalamat pa sila dahil kung walang maarte, e di wala na sigurong bumili ng plasma  ::)

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 04:43 PM »
Guys, I just called Hitachi and talked to a guy named Jas. He said that the flickering is "normal". "Para lumiwanag ang mga dark scenes."  ???  >:( Diba kaya nga dark scenes, kasi kelangan "dark".

Nakakatawa ;D; Nakakainis >:(.

I really really doubt their knowledge about their technology, and their ability to troubleshoot and correct problems that may be experienced by their consumers.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007 at 04:49 PM by jvm »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 04:46 PM »
In the meantime, maybe you can email Hitachi Australia and request them to forward the service menu settings to Hitachi Philippines.  Let's see what happens.

Good suggestion Atty. I think I'll do this. I just got the email of Hitachi's service provider this morning. It will be easy to look for Australia's.

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 09:20 PM »
Good suggestion Atty. I think I'll do this. I just got the email of Hitachi's service provider this morning. It will be easy to look for Australia's.

Hi, might as well post the email address of Hitachi Australia here. I am going to shoot them an email too. Thanks.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 17, 2007 at 11:41 PM »
Ninerbiyos naman ako sa yo...  I thought you were going to shoot them all at Hitachi... shoot them an email pala...   ;D

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 06:53 AM »
atty kung puede lang naunahan ko na si jvm nung november 06 pa, pero magtitira ako ng isa para 'shoot' ni jvm, kita na lang kami sa munti ;D

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 01:11 PM »
atty kung puede lang naunahan ko na si jvm nung november 06 pa, pero magtitira ako ng isa para 'shoot' ni jvm, kita na lang kami sa munti ;D

Gamitan natin ng plasma ray gun ;D

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 05:08 PM »
 plasma ray bazooka!!!  ;D

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 11:02 PM »
Ninerbiyos naman ako sa yo...  I thought you were going to shoot them all at Hitachi... shoot them an email pala...   ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline chuckyboy

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
Guys have you seen the 50PD9800TA plasma from Hitachi? I hooked it up on cable TV (no booster) and changed the cheap power cord to aftermarket one and the result was very good. You should check this model out.

This wkend I plan to audition a DVD player with HDMI. No affiliation with hitachi whatsoever. Just one happy camper.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 11:51 AM »
9800 is essentially the 9500 model but with motorized swivel and memory card reader.... :) :) might save you some bucks if you dont care about those features...

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #52 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 08:12 AM »
9800 is essentially the 9500 model but with motorized swivel and memory card reader.... :) :) might save you some bucks if you dont care about those features...

Actually I think only the 9500 has the 2-tuner PIP feature, which makes it considerably more expensive.  Unlike last years series where both the 8500 and the 8800 had the 2-tuner PIP.  I may be wrong though.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 10:00 AM »
Actually I think only the 9500 has the 2-tuner PIP feature, which makes it considerably more expensive.  Unlike last years series where both the 8500 and the 8800 had the 2-tuner PIP.  I may be wrong though.

paolo im sure you mean the 9800 has the features you mention ;) i think you skipped coffee this morning  ;D

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 11:33 AM »
I watched The Last Samurai last night and boy, it was a flicker frenzy movie.  :( Call me O.C. but it is really annoying.

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 05:41 PM »
I watched The Last Samurai last night and boy, it was a flicker frenzy movie.  :( Call me O.C. but it is really annoying.

Ask them to visit you. Call them again. I hope they'll see it on your set. Just be patient, because you might disagree on the technician's assessment. What matters will be for them to see it for themselves.

Ako kinulit ko sila para puntahan nila. Kaya lang di masyado naging obvious noong pumunta sila >:(.

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 05:43 PM »
I was also advised by their technician to turn off the Black Enhancement feature to reduce the "flickering".

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #57 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 08:45 PM »
paolo im sure you mean the 9800 has the features you mention ;) i think you skipped coffee this morning  ;D
My bad... :-[

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 11:19 PM »
I was also advised by their technician to turn off the Black Enhancement feature to reduce the "flickering".

did doing so help reduce or eliminate the flickering?

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 10:50 AM »
did doing so help reduce or eliminate the flickering?

It somehow reduced it.