Author Topic: Help..Subwoofer frequency? What settings can i do ???  (Read 800 times)

Offline acostaml

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help..Subwoofer frequency? What settings can i do ???
« on: Oct 05, 2006 at 04:29 PM »
Hello,

I was playing around with my new HT setup. Meron ako nakita sa setting nung receiver about yung frequency cutoff the default was 80Hz doon naman sa sub nakita ko nasa 85Hz. i haven't touch it yet but i was planning to tinker around with it...What is the suggested settings for this? Pwede ko sabihin that i like listening to music than watching movies i wanted sana 50/50 settings. I just want it a little bit more on the kick bass. I had set everything to the SML speaker settings.Thanks!

Yamaha 557
Wharfedale SW120
Wharfedale 9.4
Wharfedale CM
Wharfedale WH2
HK AVR 335
Wharfedale 9.4
Wharfedale 9 CS / WH2
Whafedale SW150

Offline acostaml

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Help..Subwoofer frequency? What settings can i do ???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2006 at 04:41 PM »
Hello,

I was playing around with my new HT setup. Meron ako nakita sa setting nung receiver about yung frequency cutoff the default was 80Hz doon naman sa sub nakita ko nasa 85Hz. i haven't touch it yet but i was planning to tinker around with it...What is the suggested settings for this? Pwede ko sabihin that i like listening to music than watching movies i wanted sana 50/50 settings. I just want it a little bit more on the kick bass. I had set everything to the SML speaker settings.Thanks!

Yamaha 557
Wharfedale SW120
Wharfedale 9.4
Wharfedale CS pala yung nakuha ko
Wharfedale WH2
HK AVR 335
Wharfedale 9.4
Wharfedale 9 CS / WH2
Whafedale SW150

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
80hz cutover from the receiver is just fine with 85hz cutover on the subwoofer side.  Your receiver will send frequencies 80hz and below.  Your subwoofer set at 85hz means it will only reproduce input frequencies 85hz and below.  It willl reproduce what your receiver sent. 
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2006 at 11:22 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2006 at 10:49 PM »
The cut-over frequency is supposed to define at which frequency the sound is diverted from the front speakers to the subwoofer.  Ideally, you should set it at a point where the transition from the front speakers to the subwoofer sounds seamless or smooth.  Normally, this frequency is 80Hz.  If you have a way to generate a frequency sweep (and an RTA to go with it if possible, otherwise you'd have to rely on your ears), it would help you a lot in determing where the front speakers roll off and consequently where the subwoofer should come in.  What you do not want is to have a "frequency hole" where the front speakers are not capable of playing the particular frequency anymore and the subwoofer hasn't cut in yet.  When you generate a frequency sweep, the sound will fade towards the frequency hole and come back again.

The subwoofer level volume setting (if it has one) should also be set such that it is loud enough to enhance the low frequency effects but doesn't attract attention to itself.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy!

Offline acostaml

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2006 at 06:32 AM »
Thanks!
HK AVR 335
Wharfedale 9.4
Wharfedale 9 CS / WH2
Whafedale SW150