Author Topic: Disney's "The Little Mermaid" R3  (Read 11666 times)

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Little Mermaid R3
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 10:33 PM »
Is this it? I got this at P550..

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #31 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 10:47 PM »

That's the remastered version.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 10:55 PM »
The Little Mermaid was remastered in a 2-disc version on R1.  The 550 is disc one of that remastered 2-disc version.  While the remastered one was 2 discs, what we got was the first disc of that same version.

I have to interject: that's not quite accurate. The single disc R3 is NOT the same as Disc One of the R1 version. It contains the film and MOST of the special features of Disc 2. Missing from the local R3 are the audio commentary of Disc One, and the Deleted Scenes from Disc Two.

Check techdude's two posts earlier on this thread for more information.

Edited to add: Two threads merged by moderator, making some parts of the discussion slightly odd.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007 at 05:48 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 11:01 PM »
Boredfilmaker, Neat background there. :)

I can't fathom Viva's reasoning for releasing two different version, if one was meant to be fullscreen, they should have indicated it as such...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 11:08 PM »
Boredfilmaker, Neat background there. :)

They're probably auditioning for the role of Ariel in the local stage production of Disney's The Little Mermaid;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 11:09 PM »
I have to interject: that's not quite accurate. The single disc R3 is NOT the same as Disc One of the R1 version. It contains the film and MOST of the special features of Disc 2. Missing from the local R3 are the audio commentary of Disc One, and the Deleted Scenes from Disc Two.

Check techdude's two posts on this thread for more information.

Thanks for the correction Mr. Hankey.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 11:15 PM »
They're probably auditioning for the role of Ariel in the local stage production of Disney's The Little Mermaid;D

;D ;D ;D

-------
Actually, that same version is what I see at most Astroplus and Video City outlets selling for P450..

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 11:27 PM »
anyone aside from av_phile who see both the versions already?  Are they both digipacks, and how are their packaging (or labeling (ie Special editions) different...

and I think Moderators have lots of work to do tomorrow, moving these discussion to the proper 'The Little Mermaid' thread. :)
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 12:19 AM »
Saw Little Mermaid in Digipak selling for P450 and P550 on the same shelf at Video City. 

Here is where I got lost... :-\

Are they both digipacks, and how are their packaging (or labeling (ie Special editions) different...

Same Q.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007 at 02:27 AM by frootloops »

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 07:15 AM »
Saw Little Mermaid in Digipak selling for P450 and P550 on the same shelf at Video City.  I almost got one as it says 16:9 in very small prints at the back but the sample pictures are in 4:3 so I asked the saleslady to check it.  True enough it was Fullscreen.  So I passed. 

Did the saleslady play the disc?  Kasi, I find it weird that Viva would have two masters for Little Mermaid - one widescreen and one fullscreen.  Hindi ba mas mahal ang cost nun sa Viva kung dalawa ang versions nila?  I got my R3 Little Mermaid (Special Edition) when it was released last October.  The sample pictures on the back cover are in 4:3, but the movie is in widescreen.  And from what I know, even the original 1999 release of Little Mermaid was already in widescreen format (although non-anamorphic).

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
Did the saleslady play the disc?  Kasi, I find it weird that Viva would have two masters for Little Mermaid - one widescreen and one fullscreen.  Hindi ba mas mahal ang cost nun sa Viva kung dalawa ang versions nila?  I got my R3 Little Mermaid (Special Edition) when it was released last October.  The sample pictures on the back cover are in 4:3, but the movie is in widescreen.  And from what I know, even the original 1999 release of Little Mermaid was already in widescreen format (although non-anamorphic).

They both look the same to me, packaging and printing.    Because SM Sucat had a grand sale before valentines, I simply surmised that the different pricing was more a result of mistagging, the 450 had the SALE on its sticker which may be a leftover from the SALE, while I assume the 550 is the regular price.  When I had the 450 played, it was fullscreen, and I didn't bother checking the 550.

Are there really two versions of Little Mermaid available locally?, if the 550 is widescreen, I'll probably go back and get it. 
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007 at 11:05 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 11:01 AM »

That's the one I saw with two different pricing at Video City here at SM Sucat.  The P450 could be a SALE price leftover from SM Sucat's preivous Sale weekened before valentines.  It's in Fullscreen.  Is what you have in Widescreen?

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
I saw a bundled one of these (little mermaid 1 & 2) all for 550 :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 12:48 PM »
When I had the 450 played, it was fullscreen, and I didn't bother checking the 550.

I have the local R3 single disc in digipak, and my copy is widescreen. From my online research, I'm unaware of any fullscreen DVD releases of this title in any region.

Is it possible that the shop's DVD player was set so that it stretched or cropped the screen image to force a fullscreen image? Some shops do that, since most consumers in the Philippines still apparently prefer fullscreen to widescreen.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 01:41 PM »
could it be that the DVD player that tested the alleged fullscreen video of the Little Mermaid was set at anamorphic?  Thus, making it appear on the TV as fullscreen?

Anamorpgic ratio is 1:78:1.  Thus di sya ganun ka stretch ang itsura sa TV lalo na sa 14" TV and might be mistaken as fullscreen.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007 at 01:45 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 01:51 PM »
at this point, somebody has to step in and do an actual review of this DVD so as to clear the confusion.  ::)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 03:48 PM »
I have the local R3 single disc in digipak, and my copy is widescreen. From my online research, I'm unaware of any fullscreen DVD releases of this title in any region.

Is it possible that the shop's DVD player was set so that it stretched or cropped the screen image to force a fullscreen image? Some shops do that, since most consumers in the Philippines still apparently prefer fullscreen to widescreen.

Now that's something to think about.  I was there with the saleslady when she plunked the DVD into the player.  From what I know, all settings on the player revert to default when you put in a new DVD.  So if the player had settings for zoom to fit a widescreen into fullscreen in the previous DVD, it should have defaulted when the new DVD was inserted.  And I swear the saleslady didn't do anything on the player settings.  The Disney logo went fullscreen right from the start and we went chapter after chapter.  It was fullscreen. 
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007 at 03:56 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #47 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 04:54 PM »
Now that's something to think about.  I was there with the saleslady when she plunked the DVD into the player.  From what I know, all settings on the player revert to default when you put in a new DVD.  So if the player had settings for zoom to fit a widescreen into fullscreen in the previous DVD, it should have defaulted when the new DVD was inserted.  And I swear the saleslady didn't do anything on the player settings.  The Disney logo went fullscreen right from the start and we went chapter after chapter.  It was fullscreen. 

Zoom feature reverts but not the anamorphic ratio.

Given that the DVD has a 1.78:1 ratio, the player wouldn't vertically stretch the picture that much thus, it can look like a fullscreen.

The old release is still widescreen letterbox (not anamorphic), thus the P450 might really be AWS!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 05:29 PM »
Zoom feature reverts but not the anamorphic ratio.

Exactly, the DVD player setting for "TV Display Type" will not reset when you just change discs, or even if you turn off the player. You need to reset it manually.

Watching it on a 4:3 TV, if the DVD player was set to Anamorphic (or "Wide," as seen below):

The DVD of The Little Mermaid will seem to be fullscreen:

Whereas if the TV Display Type setting of the DVD is on 4:3 Letterbox ("LB" below):

Then the DVD will appear in its actual 1.78:1 aspect ratio:

I have a feeling that's the case here, av_phile1. I can't confirm it, since I only have my copy as reference, but like I said, I haven't come across any fullscreen release of The Little Mermaid in any region.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2009 at 09:10 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Disney's "The Little Mermaid" R3
« Reply #49 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 07:06 PM »
That must be it.  I have to admit, it's been more than a year since I tinkered with the player settings so I have lost all idea on these things.  I'll just take your word that there are no fullscreen versions of this film and get that 450 at Video City.   ;D

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 10:04 AM »
Give us your feedback afterwards, avphile! Thanks!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 09:34 AM »
Got the 550 from video city last night.  Someone just beat me to the 450.  Just previewed it last night and it is widescreen anamorphic alright.  No complaints on the video transfer so far.

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2007 at 09:53 AM »
Got The Little Mermaid: Special Edition in digipack at Astro SM Pampanga yesterday at P299.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 07:40 AM »
Lucky you.  ;D   Didn't see this at Astro yesterday.

Offline Koolkat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #54 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 08:55 AM »
Congrats. Hinalughog ko Ayala kahapon pero lahat ng stores out of stock. :(
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 09:26 AM »
Got The Little Mermaid: Special Edition in digipack at Astro SM Pampanga yesterday at P299.

There were a lot of copies of The Little Mermaid and The Little Mermaid II selling for 299 at Music One along Quezon Avenue (National Bookstore) yesterday, in case anyone's still looking and is willing to make the trip.

Viva's making it really difficult to buy brand new releases at 750/550 with these price reductions.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 01:48 PM »

Viva's making it really difficult to buy brand new releases at 750/550 with these price reductions.

Maybe so.  But this seems to be the sales life cycle of any product.  Charge high upon release of a new product for the market segments eagerly anticipating the product and would like to be the first to own them.  Especially if it's a HIT product.  Then at the end of the lifecycle, launch into mark-downs to convince the rest with lukewarm interest or who are patient enough to wait for it to go on SALE, which eventually happens.   Actually, I heard that after a certain sales volume has been achieved, say, the first 1000 or so, any further sales beyond that is considered tubong lugaw na.   ;D So they can afford to mark them down after a certain time and still get profits.  There will always be a market for high initial prices for early takers/adopters.  Evidenced by the fact that some people can't even get enough of reservations and promos for some new releases even if we know they'll all end up on nearly half-price SALE eventually. 
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007 at 05:05 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 04:02 PM »
The only thing I don't like with this DVD is half the label/print side of the disc is a magnet for finger prints.

Offline lovetowatch

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 12:38 AM »
i agree. sana regular disc labeling na lang instead of this.

btw, bakit kaya wala pang r3 peter pan SE? :-\

Offline sechiong

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 18, 2007 at 08:49 PM »

what?? only at P299 sa Astro SM Pampanga?? got this today at ODYSSEY angeles city at P450...,
waaaa.... namahalan yata ako! :-[