Author Topic: Superman: The Ultimate Collection R3  (Read 70087 times)

Offline rafgar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Superman: The Ultimate Collection R3 (13 Disc Set)
« Reply #90 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 09:24 AM »
Nakakalaway naman ang ultimate collection.  Too bad that I have to budget my money and have to settle with the 2-disc Superman Returns (with comic book).  Siguro, kung makaluwag sa pera in the future at meron pang available ultimate collection, makakabili rin ako.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #91 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 12:23 PM »
Tonight I'll do a comparison between my old Superman R1 flipper disc and this new remastered version. Was able to briefly browse the film this morning and the print seems cleaner and the colors more vivid.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #92 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 01:02 PM »
Hi. When do online pinoybiz buyers expect their orders to arrive? Tnx

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 01:17 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Grabe ang ganda nung Ultimate Collection.  Can't wait for my copy!!!  ;)

hubes,

according to randyv.  bukas makuha ng mga online buyers yung copies nila if they were able to pay for it today.  same date as the street release. 

hope this helps.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 01:44 PM »
Wow! Thanks for posting the pics. Although I preordered this at Astrovision, I was still having second thoughts on purchasing it when it arrives (I asked if is is possible to use the 200 peso reservation fee on another purchase in case I'm not satisfied with the R3 Ultimate Collection release, which they said I can), because of the lack of the 14th disc and uncertainty over the quality of the packaging (remember the local Batman Anthology?). Thanks to these pictures, I'm already looking forward to getting my copy tomorrow!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #95 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 01:57 PM »
For me, I'm dying to pick this up from Astro tomorrow, but I'm still wrestling with the idea of the missing 14th disc.

Do I really need Bryan Singer's Video Diary? I mean, I bought Peter Jackson's King Kong Production Diaries, watched half of one disc, got bored, then fast forwarded through the rest of it. I never even played the Post-Production Diaries in the 2-Disc Set of King Kong.

But I've been a Superman fanatic since I was a kid, so everytime I look at that tin box set on my shelf, it'll be taunting me:

"Kulang ako! Kulang ako! Bili ka ng R1! Bili ka ng R1!"

Man, DVD addiction is a bad thing.

;D
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006 at 02:03 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #96 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 04:36 PM »
For me, I'm dying to pick this up from Astro tomorrow, but I'm still wrestling with the idea of the missing 14th disc.

Do I really need Bryan Singer's Video Diary? I mean, I bought Peter Jackson's King Kong Production Diaries, watched half of one disc, got bored, then fast forwarded through the rest of it. I never even played the Post-Production Diaries in the 2-Disc Set of King Kong.

But I've been a Superman fanatic since I was a kid, so everytime I look at that tin box set on my shelf, it'll be taunting me:

"Kulang ako! Kulang ako! Bili ka ng R1! Bili ka ng R1!"

;D

I'm getting both R1 & R3.  Baka next year pa makauwi relatives from the states so I'm getting the R3 for the meantime.  Looks excellent naman!

;D

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 07:03 PM »
Just by looking at the pics, walang-wala na kong pagsisisi. Better than any box sets released in the Philippines yata to.  Worth the P3250.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #98 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 07:07 PM »
Nice looking set...made my pre-order the other day. But like some of us here, I'm still thinking of getting the R1 at least to get the complete set. Oh well, will probably get both anyway. Thanks for the pix sir firewired. ;)
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline clea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 07:12 PM »
Sir firewired or anyone who knows this, may idea po ba kayo ano pa difference with the R1 and R3 aside from the Bryan Singer Journal? kasi if yun lang talaga baka di na ako kumuha ng R1 ;D
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30

Offline chinoh151

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 07:41 PM »
 :o WOW! That is a bautiful set, thinking about ordering but still can't afford it anyways...for the meantime. Sana may copies pa on Christmas!  :D

Thanks Sir Firewired for the pics  :)

Offline duncanfranchise

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Don't think you are; know you are.
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 07:57 PM »
Saw the sealed actual product along with the Superman Returns 2-Disc w/ Comic Book a while ago at Astroplus Podium.  Not bad, indeed.   ;D

By the way, it's not a comic book that's bundled with Superman Returns but rather, a condensed Ultimate Guide to Superman from DK Publishing.  Comes with a shiny silver-foil cover.   ;D

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 09:57 PM »
Do I really need Bryan Singer's Video Diary?

That's the point.  90% of the time, I don't even watch the commentaries/deleted scenes that comes with other DVDs.  I rather watch the movie again a second time or another movie entirely  unless it really really awesome. 

So I decided to get the R3 over R1.  The Astro gals are hounding me to preorder it, didn't tell them I got it online. :)

I was expecting this to be a long Digipack inside a tin (like Band of Brothers tin).  But it looks like a flipper inside the tin... really neat.  And well worth the price.

DVD addiction is really a disease.  My stack is filing up as well.   Keep thinking what would happen to them in ten years like my CD collection which I ripped to my ipod and is now gathering dust and storage space...  Ooops, off topic.

Can't wait to get mine as well.  Will be looking to the Air21 van tomorrow...
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006 at 10:05 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:19 AM »
I caved. I cancelled my Amazon order, since my relative sent an email today telling me she postponed her trip to next MARCH, so I figured it was a sign.  ;D

Sir firewired or anyone who knows this, may idea po ba kayo ano pa difference with the R1 and R3 aside from the Bryan Singer Journal?

Yup, the Bryan Singer Video Journal disc, PLUS the mail-in offer for 5 Superman posters are missing. Other than that, the sets seem identical. I'm actually wondering if the actual discs are the same, since the cardboard around the package has MPAA ratings from the movies, and the language tracks for Superman 1-4 are English, Spanish and Portuguese - not Asian.

It's a beautiful set - tin case na, may plastic slipcase with lenticular image pa... may Php 25 discount for purchase of Ant Bully DVD pa!
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:24 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 02:50 AM »
Took some pictures this morning of the set that we were showing off during the Hi-Fi Show event. Like I mentioned in another post, it's pretty impressive.

If you're using a CRT monitor, you may have to adjust contrast and brightness. I edited the files on my laptop so the images are tweaked for LCD displays.

Click on the thumbnail for the full 800x600 image:

OT: Why does Superman on the comic book cover look like Dave Batista? :)
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 02:56 AM by MultipleAngles »

Offline Koolkat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #105 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 06:38 AM »
I just saw a huge Superman poster yesterday at Astro Glorietta. I read in this thread that Astro reservations for the Ultimate Boxed Set comes with the poster. I hope it's true.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 07:28 AM »
The sales rep at Astro Glorietta told me that the poster displayed outside is the poster for the UE. :)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:00 AM »
We watched the Donner Cut of Superman II last night and enjoyed it. It's better than Richard Lester's version in most places though its has its share of weak moments IMHO. I love the fact that they brought the Brando sequences back since Jor-El plays a pivotal role in explaining the consequences of Kal-El's choices.

My only gripe is that this cut was assembled from found elements so certain sequences aren't in great shape. The new flashback at the start of the film uses alternate shots from Superman the Movie but these are grainy with some artifacting in the Krypton portions. Also, Donner insisted that certain scenes be reconstructed from test/rehearsal shots so you'll notice wardrobe and hairstyle inconsistencies.

Overall, these are minor quibbles in what is already being hailed as the definitive version of Superman II.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:01 AM by firewired »

Offline Koolkat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #108 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:09 AM »
The sales rep at Astro Glorietta told me that the poster displayed outside is the poster for the UE. :)

YESSS!!! I'll get my copy later. I hope there's no "dissapointing suprises". Thanks.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:16 AM »

firewired, is that the comic book that came with your Ultimate Edition? It's different from mine. Yours matches comic book in the images of the R4 posted at ezydvd.com.au, while mine matches the one in the R1 picture at Amazon.

Up close:

Since ours are different - the included comics throughout the region don't match?
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:51 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
I'll say I'm a bit envious of those who already has this set. Me, I still have to wait few more weeks before the R1 is released.

Just curious though, since this is a 13-disc set, how is the digipak designed? I mean, how are discs stacked inside? Are discs on back-to-back position? If yes, is there a blank slot left that is supposed to be for the 14th disc?
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:01 AM »
just got my copy via pinoydvd.biz.

great packaging, kaso the rear of the tin case has several dents in it. plus, my insert booklet has a tear.

can this be remedied, sir randy? i'd like a replacement sana.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:04 AM by wrAth »
Quo vadis?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:03 AM »
Just curious though, since this is a 13-disc set, how is the digipak designed? I mean, how are discs stacked inside? Are discs on back-to-back position? If yes, is there a blank slot left that is supposed to be for the 14th disc?

The discs are back-to-back. Although there is no central hub to anchor a disc, it's fairly obvious that the package was designed to hold one more disc on the very last page of the "book." (And now I'm having a few regrets about my decision to buy the R3 instead of the R1).

Although - the included featurettes on The Making of Superman Returns already run three hours. How much more of "The Making" can you take with the additional diaries?

(Rationalization.)  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:05 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:32 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

My package arrived this morning. 

Tin can is in good condition.  No dents whatsoever.  Dun lang sa loob merong slight scratches sa edges yung cardboard holding the DVDs.  pero was able to fix it.  dinaanan ko lang ng pencil to smoothen the edges. 

The DVDs are in good condition, no scratches whatsoever.  MEdyo dusty lang ng konti.

Was able to get the dog tag. 

I have the same comics as the one posted by firewired.

Medyo mahirap lang tanggalin yung DVD dun sa case nya kasi hindi masyadong lumulubog yung middle part nung casing. 

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with my first order sa PinoyDVD.biz.  No hassle in going to the stores na.  hehehe.

More power to PinoyDVD.biz!

Many thanks.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 07:38 AM by DVDiva »

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:38 AM »
The discs are back-to-back. Although there is no central hub to anchor a disc, it's fairly obvious that the package was designed to hold one more disc on the very last page of the "book." (And now I'm having a few regrets about my decision to buy the R3 instead of the R1).

Although - the included featurettes on The Making of Superman Returns already run three hours. How much more of "The Making" can you take with the additional diaries?

(Rationalization.)  ;D

Thank you very much Mr. Hankey.
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:07 PM »
Wrath, spoke with Randy and he'll get in touch with you over e-mail.

Mr. Hankey, apparently the the standard comic book is the one that came with your box. The variant, limited  R4 version shouldn't be part of the Philippine R3 release, but copies may have been inadvertantly placed in some boxes.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:08 PM by firewired »

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:11 PM »
Got mine too.  Small dents on the cover, a bit annoying so I take the sticker off the shrinkwrap and covered the dents.  Now I don't even know it's there.

Getting the disc to dislodge is really a problem.  I had to press hard on the disc and literally pry it to get it loose.

I hate these type of digipack where there's sort of some blemishes (it's on the top of each double layer case), if you rotate the disc inside the case (like aligning it), it could sometimes scratch the disc.  I learned the hard way with my Hossiers DVD, where I keep wondering where the deep scratches come from until I realize they are in the same area as the imperfection. :(

All in all, well worth the price.  Not for the casual DVD fan (because of the huge cash-out), but one of the best R3 release ever. 

Iba talaga ang Warner, talagang classy ang dating - tin, comics, packaging.

Mr. Hankey, so alam yata na gusto mo ng R1, so they include the R1 comics for you.  So even more collector's 'yun sa iyo...

is there a blank slot left that is supposed to be for the 14th disc?

Yes and no, since each digipack can hold 2-discs back-to-back, then 14 disc could've easily fit without additional digipack.  But the last one is single sided, so thirteen lang talaga for this edition...
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:20 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #117 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:35 PM »
I'll say I'm a bit envious of those who already has this set. Me, I still have to wait few more weeks before the R1 is released.

All 12 discs are stored back to back.  Th 13th disc has a lone slot not back to back.

Offline aesha

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:47 PM »
got my copy today...all i can say is "Good Job Warner"!

this is really worth the wait even if it's the r3 release.  ;D

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 02:08 PM »
friend of mine also got his copy, but had 2 small dents in the front.  I dont know if it was packed with bubblewrap, but i suggest they should double the bubblewrap next time para maiwasan yun dents  ;)

But overall im very much impressed with the set... hmmmm..... bibili na ba ako?  ??? ??? esep esep