Author Topic: NBA '07  (Read 34512 times)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: NBA '07
« Reply #120 on: Mar 27, 2007 at 09:59 AM »
this has to be the #1 play of the season

Denver 20 Sec. timeout
0:01.5  98-95  Marcus Camby bad pass (Rasheed Wallace steals) 
0:00.1  98-98  Rasheed Wallace makes 63-foot three point jumper
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007 at 10:00 AM by RNIverson »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #121 on: Mar 27, 2007 at 01:23 PM »
At nanalo pa! 113-109. Yan ang divine intervention.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #122 on: Mar 28, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
Enjoy the show
Don't knock Kobe, just appreciate his greatness

Lang Whitaker, CNNSI

As I sit down to write this column, it's Sunday night and the clock is showing 9:32 p.m. on the East Coast.

Tonight, I am looking forward to watching the Los Angeles Lakers play. Specifically the guy wearing No. 24.

If you like basketball, right now the greatest show on earth has nothing to do with CBS. Its name is Kobe Bryant. And it's become must-see TV.

I should stress that this wasn't an easy admission for me to make. Long ago, something about Kobe refused to let me appreciate him. I didn't like how brash and unconscionable he appeared early in his career. I didn't like the way he announced he'd be opting out of his contract during the NBA Draft, and then seemed to drag out his free agency for effect. I didn't like what happened in Colorado, whatever happened, and I didn't like the way all of that ended. Mostly, though, I just never liked the way Kobe never appears to show us his real self. Maybe what we see is what we get -- maybe this Kobe, as we know him now, really is who he is. But I'm convinced that somewhere deep down inside, there's a Kobe who pulls practical jokes on his teammates, who drives around with his windows down and The Clipse blasting, who doesn't intentionally try and channel Michael Jordan during interviews. We just don't get to see that Kobe.

At some point this year, I decided to give Kobe a fresh start. And you know what? It's been great. He's obviously not a perfect basketball player. Does Kobe share the ball like Steve Nash? No. Does he play defense like Bruce Bowen? Nope. But he sure is fun to watch, if for no reason other than the complete hedonism of his offensive game.

I can't recall the last time I saw a player with such a free reign to shoot whenever he feels like it. When the Lakers come down on a fast break, if Kobe gets the ball, it's going up, regardless of how the defense is aligned. If Kobe has the ball anywhere on the right side of the court, it's likely going up. Actually, if he's open anywhere on the floor, he's probably going to shoot. Even if defenders are right on him, he just jumps over them and gets his shot off.

The thing is, the ball keeps going in, and you eventually get conditioned to this brand of basketball Kobe is playing, until you find yourself cheering for Kobe to shoot the ball more and more and score 50 points once again. There was a point during the game tonight when Kobe came down and caught a pass from Luke Walton at the 3-point line. He pump-faked a defender, who sailed past. Kobe then re-set his feet and went up for the shot, without taking a dribble. Under normal circumstance, this would be probably be considered a bad shot, because he could have either taken a dribble to improve his rhythm or driven to the basket past his beaten defender. But as Kobe pulled up for the shot, instead of thinking, "Oh, come on, Kobe," I immediately thought, "Oh, I hope he makes it!"

That's the way he's been playing the last few weeks, and the other Lakers seem to have accepted that this was Kobe's destiny all along. Veteran NBA players can develop a certain veneer with the media, answering questions with little candor or expression. But when I asked Lakers center Andrew Bynum, the youngest player in the NBA, what it was like to play with Kobe, Bynum's face lit up. "Dude is so nasty on the basketball court!" Bynum enthused. "Playing with him, anything he does makes it easier on me. If he cuts by me, my guy almost always goes with him, which gives me openings on the court."

And to Kobe's credit, he's been finding the open guys when he's double-teamed. Well, usually. Then again, if I were Kobe, with some of these teammates, I'd be jacking the ball up, too. Kwame Brown is almost equally as entertaining to watch as Kobe, but for far more nefarious reasons. Brown must lead the league in forcing refs to choose between calling an offensive foul or a turnover. I'm not sure if it's ever been explained to Brown in such explicit terms, but the goal is to catch the basketball when it comes into your personal space, not bat it about aimlessly.

Phil Jackson referred to reserve forward Vlad Radmanovic as a "space cadet." That was a few weeks before Radmanovic separated his shoulder while snowboarding over the All-Star Break. Lamar Odom seems to drift in and out of games. Walton is probably their most solid player right now, other than Kobe. Never in his life was Brian Cook's return from an injury so eagerly awaited.

The more I watch the Lakers, the more I'm reminded that they're sort of a franchise adrift at the moment, not good enough to contend for a title but fitted with young players (like Bynum) who will be great a few years from now. In the meantime, until the Lakers are able to recover their royal lineage, there's Kobe, endlessly driving to the rim and firing up three-pointers.

During the game tonight, Kobe started out on fire, scoring nine points in the first three minutes, but then settled down and didn't look to force things in the fourth quarter. The Lakers won, but Kobe's streak of consecutive 50-point games ended at four games. Tonight, alas, he only scored 43 points. Again, he only scored 43. That's 268 points in his last five games, an average of just 53.6 points per game over the span.

Why shouldn't we root for Kobe to score, score and score? He may not play basketball the way Larry Brown would want him to, but he could morph into Magic Johnson and it still wouldn't help Kwame catch a pass. Right now, we're witnessing a prolonged show of dominance from Kobe Bryant, the likes of which we haven't seen in the NBA in a long time.

At least since that O'Neal guy was in L.A.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Apr 08, 2007 at 10:04 PM »
has anyone noticed this? i havent cause i always check the scoreboard from espn or nba site. so freakin funny  ;D

Robert Horry - DNP vs Suns   ???
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007 at 10:18 PM by RNIverson »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 07:11 PM »
has anyone noticed this? i havent cause i always check the scoreboard from espn or nba site. so freakin funny  ;D

Robert Horry - DNP vs Suns   ???

Hysterical!!!  ;D

I checked the other boxscores of San Antonio's games to see if they will say the same.  No luck... it said the usual "Coach's Decision"

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #125 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 11:18 AM »
From the Associated Press:

A look at the eight first-round series in the NBA playoffs, which start this weekend:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

No. 1 DETROIT PISTONS (53-29) vs. No. 8 ORLANDO MAGIC (40-42)

Season series: Pistons won 4-0, including a victory last week in Detroit that gave them home-court advantage throughout the East playoffs. Chauncey Billups shot 63 percent and averaged 26 points against the Magic.

Storyline: Top-seeded Detroit opens against a sub.-500 team for the second straight year, welcoming former Pistons Grant Hill and Darko Milicic back to the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Key Matchup I: Chris Webber vs. Dwight Howard. Howard has become nearly an automatic double-double, sort of like Webber was in his prime. Now Webber, who helped jump-start the Pistons after signing with his hometown team, will have to use his smarts to slow the Magic's All-Star center.

Key Matchup II: Tayshaun Prince vs. Hill. Hill has struggled with injuries ever since leaving Detroit, but had a nice game at the Palace in the most recent meeting, scoring 22 points. It's up to the versatile Prince to prevent him from doing it again.

X-Factor: Hedo Turkoglu. Had a strong April, and is one of the few Magic players with playoff experience from his years in Sacramento.

Prediction: Pistons in 4.

---

No. 2 CLEVELAND CAVALIERS (50-32) vs. No. 7 WASHINGTON WIZARDS (41-41)

Season series: Cavaliers, 2-1. Only one meeting came after the Wizards lost All-Stars Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler, with Cleveland winning 99-94 in Washington on April 6. LeBron James shot only 39 percent while averaging 23.7 points against the Wizards.

Storyline: Cavaliers clinched No. 2 seed on final night of the regular season to earn what many consider the easiest first-round opponent. The Wizards have stumbled badly since losing Arenas and Butler to injuries.

Key matchup I: James vs. Antawn Jamison. The Cavaliers ask James to do everything because he can. The Wizards are now forced to do the same with Jamison because they have no choice, since he's the only member of their Big Three still playing.

Key matchup II: Larry Hughes vs. Antonio Daniels. Washington needs someone else to score, and Daniels, a playoff veteran, has the quickness to do it. Hughes, the former Wizards star, is a strong defensive guard who will try to prevent it.

X-factor: DeShawn Stevenson. With so much scoring missing, the Wizards need to make up for it with defense. That's what Stevenson is in Washington for, and will get some turns at stopping James.

Prediction: Cavaliers in 5.

---

No. 3 TORONTO RAPTORS (47-35) vs. No. 6 NEW JERSEY NETS (41-41)

Season series: Tied, 2-2, with each team winning twice on its home floor. All four games were decided by double digits.

Storyline: The surprising Atlantic Division champions against the team that was the preseason pick to win it. The series sends former Raptors star Vince Carter back to Toronto, where he will likely be booed every time he touches the ball.

Key matchup I: Chris Bosh vs. Mikki Moore. Bosh, a first-time All-Star starter who averaged 22.6 points and 10.7 rebounds, is capable of scoring on the blocks or from the outside. Moore capitalized on the absence of Nenad Krstic to have the best season of his career, shooting a league-best 60.9 percent.

Key matchup II: T.J. Ford vs. Jason Kidd. The acquisition of the speedy Ford in an offseason trade with Milwaukee was one of the catalysts for Toronto's improvement. Kidd, one of the NBA's best defensive point guards, will try to slow him down.

X-factor: Anthony Parker. With the Raptors having such little postseason experience, the former star in Europe could be a calming presence, especially if he's knocking down his jumpers.

Prediction: Raptors in 7.

---

No. 4 MIAMI HEAT (44-38) vs. No. 5 CHICAGO BULLS (49-33)

Season series: Bulls, 3-1, highlighted by a 108-66 rout on opening night in Miami. The Heat's lone victory was a 103-70 romp in Chicago, where Miami is just 1-9 all-time in the postseason.

Storyline: Loss at New Jersey on final night of the regular season leaves the Bulls with rematch of tense first-round series with Heat. Miami won in six games last year to start its run to the NBA title.

Key matchup I: Dwyane Wade vs. Kirk Hinrich. Hinrich defends and frustrates his USA teammate about as well as anyone. The Bulls will surely bump Wade around to see if his shoulder and knee can handle the punishment.

Key matchup II: Ben Wallace vs. Shaquille O'Neal. No matter what teams they are playing for, this matchup in the pivot is becoming an annual occurrence. Both players had below-average regular seasons for their standards, but the Bulls didn't throw $60 million at Wallace for that, and this is the only time of year that matters to Shaq.

X-factor: James Posey. Missed the regular-season finale with an injured shoulder, but Heat expect him to be ready. He'd likely be called upon to slow Luol Deng or Andres Nocioni, Chicago's aggressive swingmen.

Prediction: Heat in 7.

---

WESTERN CONFERENCE

No. 1 DALLAS MAVERICKS (67-15) vs. No. 8 GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS (42-40)

Season series: Warriors, 3-0, though throw out the last one after Dallas rested just about anybody important in the second-to-last game of the season.

Storyline: A familiar face is the Mavericks' first obstacle in their quest to return to the NBA finals. Former Dallas coach Don Nelson has the Warriors back in the playoffs for the first time since 1994, when he was in his previous stint in the Bay Area.

Key matchup I: Josh Howard vs. Stephen Jackson or Al Harrington. A first-time All-Star, there are some who say Howard is the Mavs' best all-around player. Part of that is because of his strong defensive play, which he'll be called upon to show off against one of the Warriors' versatile forwards.

Key matchup II: Devin Harris vs. Baron Davis. Davis played superbly this season when healthy, and he has the strength to overpower Harris, who must take advantage of his quickness edge.

X-factor: Erick Dampier. Nellie loves to play small, but may have to alter his plans if the Mavericks leave their center out on the floor and he controls the area around the rim.

Prediction: Mavericks in 6.

---

No. 2 PHOENIX SUNS (61-21) vs. No. 7 LOS ANGELES LAKERS (42-40)

Season series: Suns, 3-1, giving them 10 victories in the last 12 regular-season meetings. Kobe Bryant averaged 27.3 points, more than four below his league-best average, in three games against Phoenix.

Storyline: Rematch of a first-round series from last year, which Suns won in seven games. But circumstances are different this time. Suns have Amare Stoudemire, and the Lakers don't have the momentum they did after a strong finish a year ago.

Key matchup I: Raja Bell vs. Bryant. Bell isn't afraid to challenge the league's leading scorer, getting hit with a one-game suspension in last year's series for taking Bryant down with a hard foul. Bryant shot only 40.5 percent against the Suns this season.

Key matchup II: Stoudemire vs. Kwame Brown. Lakers coach Phil Jackson has said this series will be tougher this time because of Stoudemire, who missed the 2006 postseason while recovering from knee surgery. Brown played well on both ends of that series for the Lakers, who need him to do it again.

X-factor: Kurt Thomas. If the Lakers are successful in slowing it down and pounding it into the post, Thomas will likely get a shot to guard one of the opposing big men.

Prediction: Suns in 5.

---

No. 3 SAN ANTONIO SPURS (58-24) vs. No. 6 DENVER NUGGETS (45-37)

Season series: Spurs, 2-1. Denver won easily in the season finale while both teams rested their top players. The first meeting came during Carmelo Anthony's suspension for fighting, and the Spurs held Anthony and Allen Iverson to a combined 24 points while winning the second one.

Storyline: Two teams with plenty of momentum heading to the postseason. San Antonio had the NBA's best record after the All-Star break, and is much healthier than it was at this time last year. The Anthony-Iverson pairing took some time, but it paid off down the stretch as the Nuggets surged to the No. 6 seed.

Key matchup I: Tony Parker vs. Iverson. Perhaps the NBA's two fastest players with the ball. Iverson was slowed by an ankle injury in the second matchup, so the Spurs have only seen that speed from him once since he joined the Nuggets.

Key matchup II: Bruce Bowen vs. Anthony. Bowen, one of the league's best 1-on-1 defenders, tries to shut down one of its top scorers. Anthony averaged 19.2 points while being played by Bowen when these teams met in the first round of the 2005 playoffs.

X-factor: Marcus Camby. When healthy, he has been a dominant shot blocker and defensive rebounder. Now he needs to make things tough for Tim Duncan and help negate the penetration by Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Prediction: Spurs in 6.

---

No. 4 UTAH JAZZ (51-31) vs. No. 5 HOUSTON ROCKETS (52-30)

Season series: Jazz, 3-1, though the Rockets rested Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming in a meaningless season-ending game Wednesday. Houston has scored 100 points only twice in the last 13 meetings.

Storyline: A pair of former Western Conference powers return to the postseason, with Houston All-Star McGrady trying again to get out of the opening round for the first time.

Key Matchup I: Mehmet Okur vs. Yao. Two All-Star international centers who play the game in different ways. Okur is a terrific perimeter shooter who came through with a number of clutch baskets this season. Yao has been dominant down on the blocks when healthy.

Key Matchup II: Andrei Kirilenko vs. Shane Battier. Excellent team defenders who can block shots, get steals, and guard players at multiple positions. Kirilenko had a disappointing season and missed five games down the stretch with a thumb injury, but this is a chance to forget about that.

X-Factor: Chuck Hayes. The Rockets know they'll get offense from Yao and McGrady, but need somebody to defend and rebound against Jazz All-Star Carlos Boozer. Hayes, only 6-foot-6, might be the best hope.

Prediction: Rockets in 6.

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2007 at 11:26 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 11:33 AM »
My Fearless Predictions for the First Round:
================================

Dallas Mavericks over Golden State Warriors (4-1)
LA Lakers over Phoenix Suns (4-2)
SA Spurs over Denver Nuggets (4-3)
Houston Rockets over Utah Jazz (4-3)

Detroit Pistons over Orlando Magic (4-2)
Cleveland Cavaliers over Washington Wizards (4-1)
NJ Nets over Toronto Raptors (4-2)
Miami Heat over Chicago Bulls (4-3)

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 09:37 AM »
nuggets won at san antonio, 95-86  ;D

ai 31, melo 30  8)

but of course, i know spurs will bounce back  :-X

looking at the playoff bracket, it'll be a long series for the nuggets... spurs at round 1, suns at round 2, mavs at round 3

i hope the west bottom 4 wins  :P

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 09:58 AM »
i hope the west bottom 4 wins  :P
  in my wildest dreams!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D  underdog galore to.....

Offline skylynx888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 12:22 PM »
WARRIORS OVER MAVS 97-85.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 12:25 PM »
I'm not suprised ;D GS is Dallas' unofficial kryptonite.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 02:32 PM »
  in my wildest dreams!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D  underdog galore to.....

so far, only lakers lost their game 1  ;D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 02:36 PM »
Anyone favoring the Bulls over the Heat? I'd love to see a Jordan-less Bulls in the Finals ;D

Go Suns!

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 02:53 PM »
i want big ben to go against sheed in the semis  ;)

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 03:30 PM »
D@mnit! My LAkers completely missed out on Upset Sunday. Argh!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 03:47 PM »
I'd take any of the 15 other playoff teams over the Fakers anytime ;D Kobe is the best player in the league but he just can't go on doing this all by himself.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 05:24 PM »
D@mnit! My LAkers completely missed out on Upset Sunday. Argh!

Yeah, sayang. Although Kobe racked up the points the last month or so of the regular season, the Lakers still finished with a losing record during that span. Unlike last year when they were on a winning streak and gave the Suns a near first round exit.

They've suffered through key injuries this year with Odom, Walton and Brown. Which in turn hindered the team in finding consistency on both offense and defense. If they don't improve their defense, expect the Suns to finish them off in 5 games.

If they somehow manage to keep it close, I would not bet against Bryant when the game's on the line. He's still one of the best closers in the NBA.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 05:30 PM »
sub daw  :P

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 07:30 PM »
I'd take any of the 15 other playoff teams over the Fakers anytime

I just don't get the Fakers insult. They're supposed to be faking what? LOL

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 08:46 AM »
Remember the 2004 Lakers? 5 HOFs, was supposed to win but didn't?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 09:01 AM »
I just don't get the Fakers insult. They're supposed to be faking what? LOL

I understand that there are Kobe-haters and Lakers-haters...everywhere I go there will be........just like the NY Yankees.........when you're a successful franchise....and heavily marketed......you're bound to get it.    But Fakers??   dont get it too............ah wait.....I get it........Sir Battoussai....its the reference to the T-Shirt!!!!!   hahahahaha   

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 11:09 AM »

Huh? You mean everyone was supposed to bend over and let the LAkers fcuk them in the ass just coz of potential HOFs? That doesn't sound like basketball to me. With that in mind, Fakers still doesn't make sense. Then again, LAkers as a team name only made sense when they were at Minneapolis. But Fakers? Come on!

Unless your team is the Celtics and can look down on the LAkers as an organization with lesser championship trophies to show off, then all that is just trash talk.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
I understand that there are Kobe-haters and Lakers-haters...everywhere I go there will be........just like the NY Yankees.........when you're a successful franchise....and heavily marketed......you're bound to get it.    But Fakers??   dont get it too............ah wait.....I get it........Sir Battoussai....its the reference to the T-Shirt!!!!!   hahahahaha   

I find myself rooting against the Yankees, but I can't deny their winning ways, too.

Fakers, though, rhymes with LAkers, so we can't fault these "creative" fans from using that.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 12:06 PM »

I think that's 4 HOFs, but that's nitpicking.  At any rate, I think that series was 5 vs. 8 (add the 3 refs)... hard to win that way.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 12:12 PM »
Poppovich, A. Johnson, Riley, and Jackson... these are coaches with good reputations that need to do some major adjustment after their Game 1 debacles.  Of the 4 mentioned above, I'm hesitant about the chances of A.Johnson to make that necessary adjustment.  He's the only 1 of the 4 who was clearly outcoached by his opponent.  The onus is on him to get back at his former coach and mentor.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 12:32 PM »
Five. Including Phil.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 04:16 PM »
Boggles the mind that when the LAkers only had 3 HOF (including Phil), they won three straight.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 04:34 PM »
Wala pa kasing LQ sina Shaq and Kobe nun.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 04:46 PM »
Wala pa kasing LQ sina Shaq and Kobe nun.

Huh? What do you mean? It was a well-documented feud that happened during the LAker's championship reign. Remember, even Jackson wasn't too fond of Kobe.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 08:43 PM »
Boggles the mind that when the LAkers only had 3 HOF (including Phil), they won three straight.

The Lakers were too stacked that the NBA has deem it fit to balance it out via the refs.  ;)