Author Topic: NBA '07  (Read 34461 times)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: NBA '07
« Reply #180 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 09:12 PM »
Miami is in BIG trouble..  Has a defending champion ever been bumped off in the first round of the NBA playoffs?  On the other hand, Chicago is turning out to be a serious contender (for the East title at least). 

in a 7 games series none yet...

but in the 1980-81 season...the houston rockets bumped of the defending champion LA lakers.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 09:32 PM »
then in the 1983-84 season, the defending champion 76ers were eliminated in the 5-game 1st round series by the new jersey nets.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2007 at 09:33 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #182 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 08:43 AM »
early vacation now for the heat. big ben to play D against former team. i love this playoffs drama  :D

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 08:52 AM »
Has a defending champion ever been bumped off in the first round of the NBA playoffs?

Chicago, which meets Detroit next, became the first team to oust a defending champion in the first round since Phoenix did it to San Antonio in 2000.

from Bulls strip Heat's crown, win first series since Jordan era

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #184 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 09:02 AM »
early vacation now for the heat. big ben to play D against former team. i love this playoffs drama  :D

More time for Shaq to fatten himself up.  :D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 11:02 AM »
More time for Shaq to fatten himself up.  :D
its time for Shaq to retire......hate to see them go down the hill like that.......

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 11:42 AM »
With proper conditioning, Shaq has two good years left out his hulking body. He can still impose his will inside when he feels like it and he's still athletic enough to pull off those spin moves and big enough to still be of use in the lane.

Sadly, Shaq's former team might be joining his current one in an early exit. I hope they still have some fight left in them and take the series back to Staples for a game 6.

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM »
Warriors just won!!!!! 3-1 na!!!!  Yahuyahu!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #188 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
I won't be surprised if Nash gets MV3.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:54 PM »
Wow! 3 - 1 na lamang ng Warriors. Who would've thought, huh?

Seems the chant of "Overrated!" ring true. What an upset that would be if Golden State wins this series.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM »
I think the problem with Miami is that everybody wants to be a superstar. Why not leave the superstar thing to Wade and be contented with being role players?

As for the Warriors-Mavs series, Nellie's boys could wrap it up on Tuesday, unless they want to extend it and lose some momentum in the process.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:58 PM »
I think the problem with Miami is that everybody wants to be a superstar. Why not leave the superstar thing to Wade and be contented with being role players?

I didn't know this. Care to elaborate?

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:02 PM »
Well, there's Walker to begin with. Most who comprise the team are has-beens. They are way past their prime, and the current way they played during the playoffs is evident that they were trying to put the whole weight of the team on their shoulders.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for Miami and Orlando. I hate to see a Florida team to fall in the first round  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:03 PM by wedge »

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #193 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:10 PM »
I like Golden State's chances for an upset.  Maybe in 6 games.  With the way they're playing in this series (esp. Baron Davis), I don't think they'll collapse like the Lakers last year.  Lakers could have wrapped that up in six, no thanks to Tim Thomas.  >:(  As for the Lakers, they really have problems defensively against Phoenix.  They still can't figure out Mr. Steve Nash.  Hope there's still time for them to make further adjustments.
We deserve better.

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #194 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:43 PM »
Nellie is the main reason why GS is lording over Dallas... remember he did let Avery coach during his term as coach of dallas...and ofcourse he knows the weaknesses of its former team...

GO GS....

maganda ang ang matchup ng Phoenix vs Golden State... puro takbuhan to...

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:45 PM »
I won't be surprised if Nash gets MV3.

the playoffs won't affect MVP voting, would it? based on regular season, i'll still go with dirk. btw, when do they usually announce the MVP? if its really dirk, he might not a second round to prove it  ;D

i remember during the last games of regular season, dallas played their bench against golden state, allowing the warriors to hold on to the 8th spot. they're probably thinking now the clippers would've been much easier  :P
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:47 PM by RNIverson »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:48 PM »
maganda ang ang matchup ng Phoenix vs Golden State... puro takbuhan to...

before this matchup, they still have to beat boozer/williams or yao/tmac  ;)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 02:01 PM »

IMO, its more of Miami having too much old players in its lineup who cant cover the perimeter anymore.  Last year there were burst in their bodies when they needed them primarily becoz they were title-hungry, and they were healthy.

This year,  Chicago exposed their weaknesses..that is the inability to cover people on the outside, leaving them with jumpers and penetration....thats why Ben Gordon and Deng burned them.   Miami cant win with the same lineup anymore...they need to rebuild while Wade is young.  They need to reassess their lineup.  Not much upside when you have Williams, Mourning, Payton, and Walker are in there.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 02:01 PM »
the playoffs won't affect MVP voting, would it? based on regular season, i'll still go with dirk. btw, when do they usually announce the MVP? if its really dirk, he might not a second round to prove it  ;D

It shouldn't. I'm just not sure if they've voted already. If they did, then it's Dirk. If they haven't yet...well, w/c do you prefer? A MVP having his team eliminated (just assuming) by an 8th seed in a best-of-seven (a historical first, pls correct) or putting someone in the company of Bill, Wilt and Larry?
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 02:02 PM by bumblebee »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 02:08 PM »
good question, but i'd still go with dirk. its quite unfair if he's voted off because of this upset, since if the rule says only regular season. if its a historical first, then at least its during our time  ;D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 02:16 PM »
I'm for Dirk too. He has good numbers-points, rebounds, assists; best player in the best team this season. I'm sure Suns fans won mind. As long Nash gets Finals MVP ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 05:24 PM »
the playoffs won't affect MVP voting, would it? based on regular season, i'll still go with dirk. btw, when do they usually announce the MVP? if its really dirk, he might not a second round to prove it  ;D

i remember during the last games of regular season, dallas played their bench against golden state, allowing the warriors to hold on to the 8th spot. they're probably thinking now the clippers would've been much easier  :P

voting for the mvp should be based on their performances form the regular season.  however, voting for the mvp is done during the first round of the players.  so you can't but help be affected in the media' ballot.  take for example monta ellis.  he edged kevin martin for the most improved player award.

the mvp is given during the 2nd round of the playoffs.  baka nga hindi umabot si dirk sa 2nd round if he ever wins it.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 05:33 PM »
It's MVP, Most Valuable Player.  Problem with voted awards like that is how you define an MVP.  If it's Most Valuable Player of the Best Team (MVPBT), then it should be Dirk.  If it's Most Valuable Player of A Playoff Team (MVPPT), it should be Kobe.  Some will say Nash for MVPPT but exchange Nash and Kobe and Suns will still be in the playoffs, Lakers may not.

I like Nash and the way he plays, and it's not that he doesn't deserve the award coz it will put him in elite company.  Shaq was robbed when Nash was given his first MVP.  Kobe was robbed last year.  Because of how the media votes, I actually don't think that Kobe will win any MVP award (ever).  And that would be a big shame.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 05:36 PM »
voting for the mvp should be based on their performances form the regular season.  however, voting for the mvp is done during the first round of the players.  so you can't but help be affected in the media' ballot.  take for example monta ellis.  he edged kevin martin for the most improved player award.

the mvp is given during the 2nd round of the playoffs.  baka nga hindi umabot si dirk sa 2nd round if he ever wins it.

Ellis deserved that Most Improved Player (MIP) award that he got.  Here's the usual suspects of candidates for the MIP award this year: Ellis, Deron Williams, Kevin Martin, and Al Jefferson.  Of the four, only Ellis was the unknown.  Of the four, only Ellis was not drafted during this year's fantasy drafts.  He was a second round draft pick just like that other dude named Arenas.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
Ellis deserved that Most Improved Player (MIP) award that he got.  Here's the usual suspects of candidates for the MIP award this year: Ellis, Deron Williams, Kevin Martin, and Al Jefferson.  Of the four, only Ellis was the unknown.  Of the four, only Ellis was not drafted during this year's fantasy drafts.  He was a second round draft pick just like that other dude named Arenas.

i have no objections with ellis winning.  but he is not the most improved player per se.  his stats are misleading during the regular season...

the most improved player award should be given to those players who have been in the NBA for at least 2 years. coz 2 years is the time a player gets adjusted to the rigors sa league.

when you analyze the stats of ellis....he averaged 6.8ppg at 18mpg last season.

this year he is averaging 16.5ppg at 35mpg. so his stats improved not because of improved skills...just more playing time.

his FG% at the field & free throw line have actually been the same the previous year. his 3pt% is down this year.

so more minutes lang is the key. while kevin martin has improved in almost all categories while still averaging almost the same minutes per game as last year.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2007 at 07:47 AM »
Because of how the media votes, I actually don't think that Kobe will win any MVP award (ever).  And that would be a big shame.

Kobe is good, but he's not quite "ripe" yet. He's a great scorer, a great defender-just like (maybe even better than) MJ. Difference is leadership skills. MJ somehow "infects" his teammates w/ desire and passion to win. And that's what Nash been doing for Phoenix. He has total control of the offense, he is getting 6 people in double figures w/ equal share of FGA. Nash makes it 5 vs 5. Again.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2007 at 09:45 AM »
Kobe is good, but he's not quite "ripe" yet. He's a great scorer, a great defender-just like (maybe even better than) MJ. Difference is leadership skills. MJ somehow "infects" his teammates w/ desire and passion to win. And that's what Nash been doing for Phoenix. He has total control of the offense, he is getting 6 people in double figures w/ equal share of FGA. Nash makes it 5 vs 5. Again.

That's his role, he's a Point Guard for the team.  Kobe is the Shooting Guard.  Nash can be easily replaced by at least 5 PGs (Kidd, Billups, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, and Deron Williams to name a few) and Phoenix will still be winning that much games.  Kidd would average a triple double if he was with Phoenix.  It's the system (in Phoenix) that D'Antoni put that makes them play that way.  Amare, Marion, Barbosa, and Diaw are All-Star caliber players so having them score in double figures is an easy thing to do.  Now name me a SG who you think can do a better job in LA than what Kobe has done.

Let's not talk about leadership cause I think that's a very subjective matter.  Case in point, some of us here think that PGMA is a good leader ;D... but that's another topic.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 11:26 AM by X-Ran »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:09 AM »
It's MVP, Most Valuable Player.  Problem with voted awards like that is how you define an MVP.  If it's Most Valuable Player of the Best Team (MVPBT), then it should be Dirk.  If it's Most Valuable Player of A Playoff Team (MVPPT), it should be Kobe.  Some will say Nash for MVPPT but exchange Nash and Kobe and Suns will still be in the playoffs, Lakers may not.

I like Nash and the way he plays, and it's not that he doesn't deserve the award coz it will put him in elite company.  Shaq was robbed when Nash was given his first MVP.  Kobe was robbed last year.  Because of how the media votes, I actually don't think that Kobe will win any MVP award (ever).  And that would be a big shame.

IMO a player cant be considered MVP if his team has a losing or 50-50 record. so i prefer your MVPBT. as bumblebee said, the MVP "infects" his teammates making the team a title contender and reach the 50-60 win mark

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:10 AM »
It's not entirely about the numbers. And each team has it's own system. It's how effective you are in your system.

Put Kobe in Phoenix he will score 50. Question: will the other players score as well?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:11 AM »
It easy to lead the team and win if you have at least better than average players on the roster.   MJ has in his time Pippen and Rodman.  The former a certified all-star, and the latter, one of the greatest rebounders in the 90s.   And both are first class defenders.   

And look what Kobe has....Odom, Brown and Walton.   Odom is near all-star caliber, but thats it.......if you replace Kobe with any other SG (except Lebron James), this Laker team is going lottery.

Kobe on his own is very good.....but for him to win MVP...they must win, at least in 50 win range....... They did flirt with a 50 win pace, until injuries destroyed the momentum they had.