Author Topic: NBA '07  (Read 34457 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA '07
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:18 AM »
It's not entirely about the numbers. And each team has it's own system. It's how effective you are in your system.

Put Kobe in Phoenix he will score 50. Question: will the other players score as well?

If Kobe is in Phoenix he doesnt have to score 50 with marion, stoudamire, and barbosa around.   Leadership skills can only get you so far with the line-up you have.   Kobe has Odom, Brown, and Walton. 

Case in point........Kevin Garnett.   I dont doubt his leadership skills.  But what can he do with the teammates he has??

On the other hand too.....if Nash is with the Lakers, san Kobe, with the system used by Mike D'Antoni.....will his leadership skills take them so far???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 10:27 AM by Munskie »

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 854
« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:28 AM »
Kobe will surely get help this season in the form of a trade. They almost got J.Kidd before the trade deadline but the Nets wanted to include Bynum in the deal which turned out to be the dealbreaker. The Lakers management really wants to turn things around next year. Sad to say that Odom may be included in the trade bait. The Lakers badly need a point guard plus a formidable inside presence.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 10:29 AM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:37 AM »
Kobe will surely get help this season in the form of a trade. They almost got J.Kidd before the trade deadline but the Nets wanted to include Bynum in the deal which turned out to be the dealbreaker. The Lakers management really wants to turn things around next year. Sad to say that Odom may be included in the trade bait. The Lakers badly need a point guard plus a formidable inside presence.
Alanganin kasi si Odom kaya inconsistent......He's not a formidable inside presence and he's not also a real outside threat. 

Read in some rumors that another Bryant-O'Neal tandem is in the works......but this time Jermaine O'Neal.    Im certain Buss wont let Kobe's prime years go into waste......plus Buss is getting older.....money will not be a problem to him.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 10:39 AM by Munskie »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:39 AM »
If Nash is in LA, players would have equal opportunity to shoot. The more you shoot, the more confidence you develop, the more chances you hit your shots, the more you become the player you ought to be.

And even if they don't win, players, at least, would feel they are "involved" in the game. And fans love to see effort from 5 players, not just 1.

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:46 AM »
Alanganin kasi si Odom kaya inconsistent......He's not a formidable inside presence and he's not also a real outside threat. 

Read in some rumors that another Bryant-O'Neal tandem is in the works......but this time Jermaine O'Neal.    Im certain Buss wont let Kobe's prime years go into waste......plus Buss is getting older.....money will not be a problem to him.

wouldn't it be easier to get gasol? i think he wants out anyway

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:52 AM »
If Nash is in LA, players would have equal opportunity to shoot. The more you shoot, the more confidence you develop, the more chances you hit your shots, the more you become the player you ought to be.

And even if they don't win, players, at least, would feel they are "involved" in the game. And fans love to see effort from 5 players, not just 1.
Yup, that would really be nice until Parker bricks a shot and Brown fumbles a perfectly timed pass from Nash.   If Nash would lead that team to a 50 win season... he'll be MVP in my book anytime.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:55 AM »
wouldn't it be easier to get gasol? i think he wants out anyway
Gasol or O'Neal, kahit sino sa dalawa pwede.......fit dun sa posisyon iniwan ni Shaq sa Triangle offense.

Offline kimpOy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:00 AM »
KOBE and KG.... imagine the heart... imagine the passion....

o common mitch trade odom and smush  for KG!

Online synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:02 AM »

Kobe plus Jermaine plus a slowly but surely improving Andrew Bynum as a front line will be a contender any day. Now they just have to shop around for a pass first point. Smush will be traded thats for sure.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:05 AM »

that would be a very good pairing.......salary cap though complicates things......

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
Yup, that would really be nice until Parker bricks a shot and Brown fumbles a perfectly timed pass from Nash.   If Nash would lead that team to a 50 win season... he'll be MVP in my book anytime.

They have 82 games to catch that pass and make the shot. If they don't, then I don't know why they even reached the NBA.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:14 AM »

a very one-sided deal  :P  i dont think the twolves management will agree, unless KG demands a trade this summer  ;)  which i hope he does. his talent is wasted in minnesota

Online synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:20 AM »
a very one-sided deal  :P  i dont think the twolves management will agree, unless KG demands a trade this summer  ;)  which i hope he does. his talent is wasted in minnesota

True. Espn reported that KG would want to stay as long as he gets management's commitment that they get him serious help for this year.

for me the trade baits include: Odom, Smush, Radmanovic, Brown, Vujacic. btw does anybody know if the contract of Grant will come off the books for the Lakers this year? if it does they will surely have serious money to spend for a free agent.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 11:31 AM by synchro_01 »
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
IMO a player cant be considered MVP if his team has a losing or 50-50 record. so i prefer your MVPBT. as bumblebee said, the MVP "infects" his teammates making the team a title contender and reach the 50-60 win mark

The only way that another player can "infect" another player is if he got AIDS.  ;D jk

As I've said, the problem lies with the definition.  It's very subjective plus the fact that Kobe has that ability to rub you the wrong way.  But MVP should not be a personality contest either, that should be Most Popular Player (MPP).

It's not an MVP's job to make his teammates BETTER.  It's a player's job to make himself better through practice and hardwork.  Let's not forget that these are all professional athletes, although most of them are way overpaid (but that's a topic for some other time).  The correct word should be EASIER and not BETTER... it's a requirement for the MVP to make the game EASIER for his teammates.  And in that aspect, Kobe, Dirk and Nash are all qualified.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:27 AM »
They have 82 games to catch that pass and make the shot. If they don't, then I don't know why they even reached the NBA.
i know that....thats why i said Nash will be my MVP if he could make that team win.    And im sure experts would agree on me. He'll win it hands down.

On the other hand, If Kobe leads a team to a 50+ win season, whether with a Laker team or a phoenix team,  im still not sure if he'll win MVP.   Kobe doesnt own the media.....coz of his arrogance, he rubs people the wrong way...and sometimes too....he doesnt get the credit he deserves to get.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:30 AM »
yikes, mavs' best season are in danger, leading only by one point in the 3rd qtr. i thought they're more focused this time. losing the series to an 8th seed in your homecourt is embarassing enough

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:35 AM »
New basketball rule: Never go for top seed if the 8th seed has beaten you 5 times in row ;D

Kidding aside, I pity Dirk. It seems that all the pressures/blames on him. Hey, he's just one man.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 11:37 AM by bumblebee »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:40 AM »
It's not entirely about the numbers. And each team has it's own system. It's how effective you are in your system.

Put Kobe in Phoenix he will score 50. Question: will the other players score as well?

Yes.  If Odom and Walton can score into double digits with Kobe, it's a sure bet that Amare and Marion can do as well.  And yes, they will be winning, too.  Btw this may come as a surprise to some of you, but last time I checked Marion is ranked as No. 1 in NBA fantasy  (using season average and the standard 9 stats).  Kobe was No. 2, I'll re-check later to confirm this.

And another thing, if you put Kobe in Phoenix with Nash as the PG... that's a Western Conference All-Star Team already!  And a sure bet to win the championship.  AND Kobe will be the MVP of the team, not Nash.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:46 AM »
New basketball rule: Never go for top seed if the 8th seed has beaten you 5 times in row ;D

Kidding aside, I pity Dirk. It seems that all the pressures/blames on him. Hey, he's just one man.

Almost everyone blames Dirk, but I blame Avery.  Once again, he is being outcoached by his opponent.  Happened with Riley, now with Nellie.  (Hey, that rhymes!)  ;D

It may be karma, I think they have a chance to bury the Warriors at the end of the regular season but they instead opt to rest their main men.  But I still believe that the Mavs can pull off this one.  Yes, I'm talking about winning the series.  ;)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:50 AM »
Yes.  If Odom and Walton can score into double digits with Kobe, it's a sure bet that Amare and Marion can do as well.  And yes, they will be winning, too.  Btw this may come as a surprise to some of you, but last time I checked Marion is ranked as No. 1 in NBA fantasy  (using season average and the standard 9 stats).  Kobe was No. 2, I'll re-check later to confirm this.

And another thing, if you put Kobe in Phoenix with Nash as the PG... that's a Western Conference All-Star Team already!  And a sure bet to win the championship.  AND Kobe will be the MVP of the team, not Nash.
  thats why its also easier for players like Nash , Kobe and the like if some teammates make it easier for them  to do their job too...reciprocity.   Nash enjoys it now.......Kobe doesnt.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:55 AM »
Kobe in Phoenix? He gotta get used to moving w/o the ball first ;D

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:00 PM »

Although a Bryant-O'Neal tandem would put the Lakers in title-contender status, I still have my reservations on this.  JO is way too fragile for the Lakers to build their next dynasty.  I like the idea of having Gasol instead of JO.  Getting KG is the no. 1 goal, that's a no-brainer.  Let's trade Odom, Brown, Radma, and Smush to get him.  We can add Kupchak for McHale to sweeten the deal!  ;D  If Minnesota insists on either Farmar and/or Bynum, I say we agree only if Minnesota will give their first round draft pick this year.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:02 PM »

Uh, there's too many alley-hoop (spelling?) dunks of Kobe in youtube to dispel the myth you're trying to create.
 ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:03 PM »
this is  why Kobe might not get his MVP. the leadership standpoint is just a cloak.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:08 PM »
Although a Bryant-O'Neal tandem would put the Lakers in title-contender status, I still have my reservations on this.  JO is way too fragile for the Lakers to build their next dynasty.  I like the idea of having Gasol instead of JO.  Getting KG is the no. 1 goal, that's a no-brainer.  Let's trade Odom, Brown, Radma, and Smush to get him.  We can add Kupchak for McHale to sweeten the deal!  ;D  If Minnesota insists on either Farmar and/or Bynum, I say we agree only if Minnesota will give their first round draft pick this year.

yup...forgot that JO is injury prone.......

grabe yung Dallas-GS game!!!  Its  a shooutout.....6 point lead for GS!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 12:10 PM by Munskie »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:09 PM »
Uh, there's too many alley-hoop (spelling?) dunks of Kobe in youtube to dispel the myth you're trying to create.
 ;D

There are also too many times I've seen Kobe dribbling past defenders to get his shots. His other teammates are just there - waiting for kingdom come.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:11 PM »
Almost everyone blames Dirk, but I blame Avery.  Once again, he is being outcoached by his opponent.  Happened with Riley, now with Nellie.  (Hey, that rhymes!)  ;D

It may be karma, I think they have a chance to bury the Warriors at the end of the regular season but they instead opt to rest their main men.  But I still believe that the Mavs can pull off this one.  Yes, I'm talking about winning the series.  ;)

warriors up by 6, 4mins remaining. its raining 3s in dallas  :o

i hope the mavs win the series too. west finals would be much easier for the spurs/suns without them

just remembered this from mavs, "anything less than a championship is a disappointment"  :P

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:23 PM »
looks like mavs will survive this one. great defense to win the game

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:28 PM »
looks like mavs will survive this one. great defense to win the game

Yeah!  Dallas dodged a bullet with this win.  Would have a been an instant classic had GS pulled this one out, what with coming from 21 points down.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 12:28 PM by X-Ran »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:31 PM »
There are also too many times I've seen Kobe dribbling past defenders to get his shots. His other teammates are just there - waiting for kingdom come.

Uh, that's the ability to create his own shot... all the great players should have that.  With regards to the teammates waiting... that's what's wrong... you don't wait.. you either cut into the basket or create an angle from long range where the dribbler can easily give you a pass.