Author Topic: NBA '07  (Read 34464 times)

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
Re: NBA '07
« Reply #330 on: May 20, 2007 at 10:17 AM »

(AP) - Capsule preview of the NBA conference finals, which start Sunday (with regular-season record, playoff mark in parentheses):

EASTERN CONFERENCE

No. 1 DETROIT PISTONS (53-29, 8-2) vs. No. 2 CLEVELAND CAVALIERS (50-32, 8-2)

Season series: Pistons, 3-1, by limiting the Cavaliers to 83 points per game. Cleveland's only victory came in overtime on March 7, when LeBron James scored a season-high 41 points in the Cavs' first win in Detroit in more than three years. Every Pistons starter averaged in double figures against Cleveland, while James scored 27 points per game.

Storyline: Back in the conference finals for the first time since 1992, Cleveland runs into a Detroit team that is here for the fifth year in a row. The Central Division rivals met in the second round last year, with the Pistons winning the final two games to take the series in seven.

Key Matchup I: Tayshaun Prince vs. James. Prince did a good job on Chicago's Luol Deng in the conference semifinals after Deng had torched Miami in the first round, but he couldn't slow James much in last year's series. New Jersey had some success when it turned James into a passer, but he might need to score big numbers in this round. Prince, who shot 52 percent and averaged 13 points this season against Cleveland, will try to make him work on the other end.

Key Matchup II: Antonio McDyess vs. Anderson Varejao. McDyess shot 65 percent and averaged 12 points in only 23 minutes per game against the Cavs. Varejao, also a reserve power forward, frustrated the Pistons in the series last year with his energy and toughness on the boards. Cleveland doesn't shoot a great percentage, but he can help them overcome that by hustling after loose balls to create extra possessions.

X-Factor: 3-point shooting. Detroit shot 25 percent from behind the arc against Cleveland, but the Cavs were even worse (10-for-52, 19 percent). Both teams play tough defense in the paint, and the best way to loosen them up is by hitting from the perimeter -- if either team can. Rasheed Wallace (2-for-15) and Chauncey Billups (5-for-17) must do better, and the Cavs probably can't live with Larry Hughes (1-for-11) and Donyell Marshall (2-for-11) struggling the way they did in the regular season.

Prediction: Pistons in 6.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

No. 3 SAN ANTONIO SPURS (58-24, 8-3) vs. No. 4 UTAH JAZZ (51-31, 8-4)

Season series: Tied, 2-2, with the Spurs extending their home winning streak against Utah to 16 games by winning both meetings in San Antonio. Tim Duncan and Tony Parker each averaged 21.5 points, with Duncan adding 11.3 rebounds per game. The Jazz held Manu Ginobili to 25 percent shooting. The Jazz limited the Spurs to 85.5 points per game in their two victories, but San Antonio averaged 104 at home.

Storyline: With the top two winners in the West gone, the longtime conference powers meet for a spot in the NBA finals. The Spurs are looking to reach the finals for the third time in five years, while the Jazz haven't been this far since 1998. Utah has won 11 of the 15 playoff series between the teams.

Key Matchup I: Duncan vs. Carlos Boozer. Duncan remains as good as it gets at power forward, but Boozer isn't far behind. However, Boozer managed only 16.7 points on 49 percent shooting in three games against San Antonio this season, well below the regular-season numbers that landed him on the All-Star team.

Key Matchup II: Bruce Bowen vs. Andrei Kirilenko. Bowen was at his best against Phoenix in the second round, annoying the Suns with his in-your-face defense and hitting some timely 3-pointers when left open. If the confused-looking Kirilenko from the first round shows up in this series, Utah is in trouble. But if he plays the way he did against Golden State, when he scored in double figures in every game while playing his terrific all-around defense, the Jazz will be in much better shape. Bad news for Utah fans: He averaged only 8.8 points and shot under 30 percent against the Spurs this season.

X-Factor: Derek Fisher. His return to the team after attending to his daughter's serious illness was an inspiration to the Jazz, and he added some timely 3-pointers and strong defense on Baron Davis. He'll probably be asked to slow Parker, and Spurs fans don't need to be reminded that he's a clutch playoff performer: His game-winning jumper for the Lakers in Game 5 of the 2004 West semifinals at San Antonio was perhaps the decisive blow in the Spurs' hopes to repeat that season.

Prediction: Spurs in 6.

We deserve better.

Offline kimpOy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2007 at 10:28 AM »
trade marion? i dont think so... clearly phoenix needed another defensive big men to give 6 fouls on big fundamentals...

sayang lang ang bench full of 2s and 3s...jalen rose, the joneses,

this is the reason why dallas signed kevin willis if they meet the spurs in the west finals... kaso olats din sila.

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2007 at 02:00 PM »
My Fearless Predictions for the Second Round:
==================================
Utah Jazz over Golden State Warriors (4-2)  - right - right
Phoenix Suns over SA Spurs (4-1)  - wrong winner

Detroit Pistons over Chicago Bulls (4-2)  - right - right
NJ Nets over Cleveland Cavaliers (4-2)  - wrong winner
Only got 2 out of 4 (50%) for correct winning team... got (100%) correct on # of games though!

All my fave teams are officially out after the second round.  :(

My Fearless Predictions for the Conference Finals:
====================================
Detroit Pistons over Cleveland Cavaliers (4-1)
Utah Jazz over San Antonio Spurs (4-3)

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2007 at 10:40 AM »
lost interest when both my fave teams got the boot -- New Jersey and Phoenix... but found myself rooting really hard for Utah... too bad their run in the 4th came too late... dunno why but I really hate San Antonio ... go Jazz!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 04:23 PM by jeckjeck »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2007 at 03:22 PM »
lost interest when both my fave teams got the boot -- New Jersye and Phoenix... but found myself rooting really hard for Utah... too bad their run in the 4th came too late... dunno why but I really hate San Antonio ... go Jazz!  ;D

Hate is too strong a word for a bland team like the Spurs.  ;)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2007 at 03:43 PM »
i understand, winning teams are usually hated. but its only this playoffs that the spurs are treated that way. last time i also hated the lakers when they were champs, and i dunno why  ;)

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2007 at 05:45 PM »
As I've said, hate is a strong word for the Spurs.  Hate is usually reserved for the Lakers, the Knicks, and the Celtics.  ;)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2007 at 05:54 PM »
Yep, the Spurs are bland but they get the job done.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2007 at 06:00 PM »
As I've said, hate is a strong word for the Spurs.  Hate is usually reserved for the Lakers, the Knicks, and the Celtics.  ;)

Yeah, but the Lakers haven't been the same since Shaq left. While the Knicks and Cetics have been tarnished lately with front office incompetence. The Spurs have been consistent the past few years. They're the closest thing to a dynasty these days. So I guess there's some reason to "hate" them. But really, I hate David Stern more  ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #339 on: May 21, 2007 at 08:17 PM »
the spurs are a very good team.  they do have three rings...but they are not great champs.

and they are boring as hell.  but being boring doesn't translate to them being mediocre.  they get the job done.

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2007 at 09:23 AM »
the spurs are a very good team.  they do have three rings...but they are not great champs.

and they are boring as hell.  but being boring doesn't translate to them being mediocre.  they get the job done.

I agree.  The Spurs have championship rings but they are boring as hell.  I'd rather watch Ginebra play.  No wonder they are not a big market team in the NBA despite their championships.

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2007 at 10:25 AM »
I want LBJ and the Cavs to be in the NBA Finals to make it more interesting.
Don't want another boring Spurs-Pistons championship.  :P

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2007 at 10:45 AM »
"Lebron Rules" seem to work again... limiting LBJ to only 10 pts on 10-15fg  :o :o :o  but he did have 11rebs 9ast 4stls 1blk

looks like this will be a long series for the pistons like last year...

i'd welcome another pistons-spurs matchup to see c-webb's face when the spurs win their 4th title  ;D

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2007 at 11:22 AM »
Bron Bron's been dialing in his performance the whole year. At this point, he's more concerned about becoming a multi millionaire. Please show us you care, drop 50 points against Detroit! Please!

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2007 at 09:38 AM »
I think too much credit is being given to Detroit's and Prince's defense. Actually, it seems it was the Cavs game plan after all to make LBJ pass first. He just took 15 shots, and was not that aggressive in going to the basket. Kobe, AI, Melo, Arenas and the rest of the scorers like him take around 25-30 shots a game. To think that LBJ scored just 10 points, took only 15 shots, passed up on the game-winning shot, and they were one Donyell Marshall 3 pointer away from upsetting the Pistons at home, is not bad at all.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2007 at 09:50 AM »
Blazers win draft lottery, No. 1 pick

Boston's luck has really run out!

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2007 at 10:01 AM »
I'm just watching the Spurs torch the Jazz by scoring 58 points already by halftime. In my opinion, I don't think they are as boring as most people think. They have abandoned their slow low post game anchored on Duncan, and instead go on pick and rolls, run when they have an opportunity, score successive three pointers, etc. They have one of the quickest point guards in the league, plus an unorthodox shooting guard who dribbles behind the back amidst traffic or during fast breaks, a Horry or Finley to knock down clutch shots, and add to that a "rugged" defender who could probably drill corner threes with one eye closed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007 at 06:44 PM by lord_vader »

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2007 at 01:53 PM »
Blazers win draft lottery, No. 1 pick

Boston's luck has really run out!

The West just got stronger (if Oden and Durant are picked 1-2 in the draft by Portland and Seattle), while the East became less interesting. :P
We deserve better.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2007 at 02:43 PM »
everybody's talking about oden and durant, but that batch might just have another wade and bosh  ;)

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2007 at 05:06 PM »
I hope so, but Oden is legit in my eyes 8) he more than held his own against the star players of florida.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2007 at 05:32 PM »
With the likelihood of both Oden and Durant being in the West, this might very well be the final straw that would push Garnett to demand for that trade.  Portland's future looks very bright with Oden or Durant, Aldridge, and Roy.  If they can manage to trade Randolph for a PG of same value, it's most likely that the Trailblazers would be a better team than the Timberwolves.  Seattle can get either Durant or Oden depending on the Blazer's choice.  If they can manage to retain both Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis, Seattle looks to be better than the Wolves, too.

With this, Garnett may demand for that trade.  To go to the East where it's easier to reach the Finals or at the least pair up with a middle of the pack team (Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets, Warriors, etc.) out West.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: May 25, 2007 at 11:52 AM »
argh, another meltdown by the cavs! 26pts in the second half!?! c'mon bron bron  >:(

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: May 25, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
Lebron still needs to assert himself more, driving to the hoop then passing  at the last minute wont get the job done.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: May 25, 2007 at 07:03 PM »
Lebron still needs to assert himself more, driving to the hoop then passing  at the last minute wont get the job done.

It's turning out that he's a notch lower than Wade at this point of time in their careers.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: May 25, 2007 at 07:34 PM »
I think Lebron should go and drive more to the basket and draw the fouls, regardless if the Pistons are a pretty good defensive team. Hell, Wade gets a lot of phantom calls, so he should get some of them, too.

If only James had a reliable jumper, then he'd truly be impossible to contain.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: May 28, 2007 at 08:39 AM »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: May 29, 2007 at 09:01 AM »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: May 29, 2007 at 11:59 AM »
suggestion...demand... i thought both means the same in the nba   :P

Kobe says he's just suggesting West's return, not demanding it

Uh, when has suggestion meant the same as demand?  :o

It's been weeks since the Lakers has been eliminated from the playoffs.  We're right at the middle of the conference finals, and still Kobe and the Lakers gets front page news!  That's why it would be an act of foolishness to think that the Lakers will trade arguably the best player in the NBA and without a doubt the most popular one.

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: May 29, 2007 at 08:16 PM »
lost interest when both my fave teams got the boot -- New Jersey and Phoenix... but found myself rooting really hard for Utah... too bad their run in the 4th came too late... dunno why but I really hate San Antonio ... go Jazz!  ;D

Same here!  :D

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: May 30, 2007 at 09:20 AM »
As much as i like the spurs, i am now a fan of deron williams, that kid can play 8)