Author Topic: NBA '07  (Read 34465 times)

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA '07
« Reply #450 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 01:53 AM »
If they cant win with Odom and Bynum around.......Id certainly welcome this.........do it Mitch!!!!!

PG ?
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Luke Walton
PF Brian Cook
C   Kevin Garnett

Even with KG, I dont think it will still be enough to supplant the Spurs or the Suns......they need help in the PG position.....Billups perhaps??? hehehehe....wishful thinking.. :P

Possible starters:
PG  ? / Jordan  ;D
SG  Kobe
SF  Luke Walton / Mo Evans / Vlad Rad
PF  Kevin Garnett
C   Kwame Brown / C. Mihm

With KG, plus an improved Farmar or a new starting PG to be named later (c'mon Chauncey don't be shy!) this is a team that can compete with the Spurs, the Suns, and the Mavs (don't sleep on the Mavs).  Defense from the bigs would still be the key!  Billups and Kidd are really not wishful thinking if (and only if) the Lakers can land Garnett.  Landing Garnett would be the first step needed to lure those PGs out there.  Brevin Knight is also a good pickup.  And if defense is the only concern on the PG position, Earl Watson can be had on the cheap.

Personally, I see the Minnesota-Phoenix-Boston deal as the most likely to happen.  :(

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #451 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 07:55 AM »
For me, KG, at this point in his career, is overrated.

If I were Kerr, I would focus on Leandro's consistency and Amare's defense.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 08:03 AM by bumblebee »

Offline runner10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #452 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 09:23 AM »
For me, KG, at this point in his career, is overrated.

If I were Kerr, I would focus on Leandro's consistency and Amare's defense.

I agree with bumblebee.  KG is at best a good player with a salary of a superstar -- way over rated and a proven choker in the games that matter.  Heck, he even can't get the TWolves to the play-offs and even if he does, they are out for sure in the 1st round.  I'll stick with what the Suns have right now.  Just develop the exisiting players and perhaps add 1 or 2 more quality role players to deepen the bench a bit. 

Kerr shouldn't shake the Suns' line-up too much.  Besides, if not for the Horry cheap shot, the Suns would have been the champs.  My cents of course.

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 09:39 AM »
boykins and gerald wallace are also free agents  ;)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 10:14 AM »
I agree with bumblebee.  KG is at best a good player with a salary of a superstar -- way over rated and a proven choker in the games that matter.  Heck, he even can't get the TWolves to the play-offs and even if he does, they are out for sure in the 1st round.  I'll stick with what the Suns have right now.  Just develop the exisiting players and perhaps add 1 or 2 more quality role players to deepen the bench a bit. 

Kerr shouldn't shake the Suns' line-up too much.  Besides, if not for the Horry cheap shot, the Suns would have been the champs.  My cents of course.
ok, my take:

cmon now guys,    a player who has a career average of 20.5 pts, 11.4 rebs, 4.5 assist, 1.4 stls and 1.7 blks certainly wouldnt qualify only as a good player.   In reality, KG never really had a teammate to rely on other than himself.   The only capable all-star caliber players he had for teammates were Cassell and Sprewell, and those two are  borderline all-stars at best.

I wouldnt call that over rated in my opinion.  And if im gonna go hypothetical and switch KG and Amare, Ill be surprised if Amare could produce those numbers night in and night out without Nash at his side.

Thats why Id take KG over Amare.   Better range, better passer, better defender.   The only thing going on for Amare's value is age and slashing capability.   Other than that, including intangibles and heart, its all KG for me.

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 10:17 AM by Munskie »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 10:43 AM »
It's one thing to have good numbers. It's another to make them count.

KG will slow down the Suns. I wouldn't want that.

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 11:07 AM »
It's one thing to have good numbers. It's another to make them count.

Amen to this.  KG can definitely post the numbers on the stat sheet but he can't post the numbers on the "W" column -- and this for $20M a year.  I think he will be the next Karl Malone... one of the best players not to win a ring.  Oh wait... I take that back.... Karl Malone delivers (pun intended) the numbers on the "W" column and is a play-off regular.  My opinion, of course.

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 11:11 AM by runner10 »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 11:20 AM »
The only reason why Malone doesn't have a ring is MJ ;D And no, KG is no Malone.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 11:27 AM by bumblebee »

Offline Chito C.

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #458 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM »
But Malone has John Stockton

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 12:42 PM »

True that!

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 12:49 PM »

Yup, but it doesn't make him less.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 12:56 PM »
My point is.....with or without the "W", no true basketball fan would call KG "way overrated" and simply a "good player".   He leads the league in efficiency rating.   No supertar can win much with that line-up, especially if you're in the Western Conference.  Its a different matter though if they are playing in the Eastern Conference (eg  Lebron)...... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 01:17 PM by Munskie »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 07:58 PM »
For me, anyone can call KG over-rated as long as he gets traded to the Lakers.  From there, he can erase that overrated tag.  And oh, between Malone and KG... I would definitely choose KG.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #463 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 08:09 PM »
Looks like KG is definitely on the move, but not to the Lakers.  Check out the latest ESPN report on the KG sweepstakes.  I agree with one of the earlier posts that KG doesn't seem like a good fit for the run-and-gun Suns.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually ends up there, with Amare as the casualty.  Sayang - I would've wanted to see KG team up with Kobe.  It will be interesting to see what LA's Plan B is, in case the pursuit for KG falls through.

If Amare ends up in Atlanta, at least he'll have new unis to wear. :) 
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 08:21 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 10:59 PM »
Kinda funny in the rumored four team trade between LA Lakers, Boston, Indiana and Minnesota........would you think former Celtics Danny Ainge, Kevin McHale and Larry Bird would actually help and give KG to the Lakers???  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 at 11:00 PM by Munskie »

Offline clea

• Collector
  • Hi-dilly-ho-dilly, neighboreenos.
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 11:04 PM »
even though Cassell is a borderline all-star, IMO he is a very good clutch player and has extreme heart; he isn't afraid t take the shots when it matters... ;)

garnett is a very good regular season player, same as dirk; unless he learns to take over games in the playoffs, that's the only way he'll be known for :P
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Toy Launch
Megamall A May30

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 07:31 AM »
Kinda funny in the rumored four team trade between LA Lakers, Boston, Indiana and Minnesota........would you think former Celtics Danny Ainge, Kevin McHale and Larry Bird would actually help and give KG to the Lakers???  ;D ;D ;D

Maybe they don't like him ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 07:45 AM »
I still prefer KG moving to the lakers, call him overrated or good but IMO he is still one of the best power forwards in the game today. This gives kobe a legit number two guy. I believe KG will thrive in a position where he is not the main man.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 08:01 AM »
I still prefer KG moving to the lakers, call him overrated or good but IMO he is still one of the best power forwards in the game today. This gives kobe a legit number two guy. I believe KG will thrive in a position where he is not the main man.

Hehehe....wishful thinking, I already moved KG to the Lakers in my NBA 2k7 roster, trading him with Odom and Bynum.... ;D ;D from a 70s team ranking, the move immediately gave the Lakers a 91 team ranking......dandy.. ;D ;D

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #469 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 09:47 AM »
Timberwolves talking three-way Garnett deal
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
June 27, 2007

NEW YORK – Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks, league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 09:54 AM »
hawks will be an EAST finalist all of a sudden with johnson, smith and stoudemire  :-\

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 09:56 AM »
And oh, between Malone and KG... I would definitely choose KG.

Really?  Your team is down 1 with 20 ticks on the clock.  Between KG and Malone, I'd rather put the ball in the Mailman's hands (during the peak of his career of course).

For power forwards in the modern era, I would consider Duncan (even if he's boring) as #1, Malone #2 (don't like the Jazz either), McHale #3 and Barkley/KG/Dirk at 4,5 & 6 respectively.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007 at 10:12 AM by runner10 »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
Really?  Your team is down 1 with 20 ticks on the clock.  Between KG and Malone, I'd rather put the ball in the Mailman's hands (during the peak of his career of course).

For power forwards in the modern era, I would consider Duncan (even if he's boring) as #1, Malone #2 (don't like the Jazz either), McHale #3 and Barkley/KG/Dirk at 4,5 & 6 respectively.

What usually happened for the Jazz then was that the ball was in the hands of John Stockton, and there's a 75% chance that it will either be Malone or Stockton who will get the last shot.  My preference of KG over Malone is not hinging on who I would want to take the last shot but on who I think is an overall phenomenal athlete.  If it were taking the last shot, it would be a toss between Bird and Reggie Miller.

Karl Malone for me is the embodiment of what a Power Forward is.  The PFs of today would be eaten alive by the bruising game of the NBA then: the kind of no-harm, no-foul games then was so fun to watch.  And that is where Malone can be considered to stand over all competitors back then.  But for me, I will take McHale and his freaking long hands over Malone when playing in that type of game.  Similarly, if Malone was in his prime in the type of game we have today, he may end up drawing lots of offensive fouls.

The best PFs of today are those that can play multiple positions.  Duncan is a PF who can play the Center position.  Both Nowitzki and Garnett can play the SF and C positions.

If I were to rank those players you mentioned above, my preference would be: (1) KG, (2) Dirk, (3) Duncan, (4) McHale, (5) Malone, and (6) Barkley.  Barkley is last because although he gives position flexibility, he really is an SF playing like a PF (too small to guard my top 3 choices).

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 11:51 AM »
What usually happened for the Jazz then was that the ball was in the hands of John Stockton, and there's a 75% chance that it will either be Malone or Stockton who will get the last shot.  My preference of KG over Malone is not hinging on who I would want to take the last shot but on who I think is an overall phenomenal athlete.  If it were taking the last shot, it would be a toss between Bird and Reggie Miller.

Errrr.... on taking the last shot, I was just choosing between KG and Malone.  ;D

But if it's any player taking the last shot, I'll be surprised if anyone would choose anyone other than #23.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 11:58 AM »
Malone (and a younger Derrick Coleman) then was the prototype big man: big, wide and can run like the wind (with the usual knows how to box out, can play D, reliable inside presence etc.) I think, like Jordan, Malone was pretty much dominant because of the lack of really athletic players that can match-up with him. Sure, the usual rough behemoths were there, but they couldn't do $hit against The Mailman coz he'll just run rings around them.

We seem to think that the players now are pampered because of the new rules, but then we forget how much the basketball players now have evolved into something other than no-blood-no-foul players. They know how to make use of their speed and the footwork of these players are unbelievable. These next gen players don't rely on rough plays when playing D, although they can and will resort to it at times.

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM »
If I were to rank those players you mentioned above, my preference would be: (1) KG, (2) Dirk, (3) Duncan, (4) McHale, (5) Malone, and (6) Barkley.  Barkley is last because although he gives position flexibility, he really is an SF playing like a PF (too small to guard my top 3 choices).

Hmmmm... KG & Dirk over Timmy D?  I don't know about that but I think it's TD be a mile on this one (and to think that I hate the Spurs).   ;D

What about the others, how would you rank these 6 PFs?  

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 12:09 PM »
TD, Dirk, KG.

Malone, Barkley, McHale.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
Hmmmm... KG & Dirk over Timmy D?  I don't know about that but I think it's TD be a mile on this one (and to think that I hate the Spurs).   ;D

What about the others, how would you rank these 6 PFs? 

Less it be misunderstood, I ranked them not as PFs but as to what they will bring to my team if I were a GM.  TD may have all the hardware right now, but I think that (between the 3 of them) he won't be the unanimous top choice of the GMs if they were to pick one.  (See sample Fantasy League drafts)

Btw, I, for one, don't hate the Spurs (too bland to hate for my purpose).  heheheh

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 01:48 PM »
Errrr.... on taking the last shot, I was just choosing between KG and Malone.  ;D

But if it's any player taking the last shot, I'll be surprised if anyone would choose anyone other than #23.

Ok, between KG and Malone... I will choose KG to take the last shot.  For a big man he has a good handle of the ball, and that makes him a better option for me.

I have chosen Bird and Reggie, over #23 (I assume you're talking about MJ).  Surprised?  ;)

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 01:55 PM »
Ok, between KG and Malone... I will choose KG to take the last shot.  For a big man he has a good handle of the ball, and that makes him a better option for me.

I have chosen Bird and Reggie, over #23 (I assume you're talking about MJ).  Surprised?  ;)

Nope.  LOL  ;D