Author Topic: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers  (Read 188487 times)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers
« Reply #120 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 05:00 PM »
Well....I tend to differ because I like the sound of Harman Kardon over Denon but its all in what your ears think  ;D

Offline EB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 11:15 PM »
Differences in our opinions just reiterate the fact that audio is highly subjective.  That is why it is never enough to state: "Buy the speakers that you prefer and not what reviewers and others prefer".

Based on my observation, Harman Kardon receivers are more musical than Denons.  It has more body, it is more involving and sounds more natural and warm.  The Denons are warmer than Yamahas but not as warm as h/ks.  Denons sound faster, more detailed and livelier than h/ks.

But these are my opinions.

Buy what tickles your fancy and not someone elses  ;)

Offline mdman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Aug 06, 2002 at 08:46 PM »
confused......
i'm more inclined to get the onkyo tx-sr500, which do you think is better? tx-sr500 or the denon 1602? any suggestions?

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:50 AM »
Hi uh.. just wondering.. which store already carries 1803/ 2803s in stock?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:57 AM »
Reposting for Jeremi,

Preliminaries

I know nothing about HT.  All the info I have now is from all the browsing I've made in this forum.

Room Size: 16 sq meters
Bed room, bed is flushed against the wall
Already have the video equipment, am in the market for:
1.  Receiver
2.  5 speakers
3.  Subs
Budget: 80-90k
Principal use of HT:  Watching DVD's
Concerns:  Have two kids (ages 1 &2) ergo concerns of speakers getting tipped over =)

Preferences
Receiver:  Yamaha's particularly because of its price and wide spread popularity in this forum.  Am looking at the RXV-630 (lowest price canvassed so far is at P24,600 from Upscale Mega), I might not be able to use the 6.1 function, but am looking at a little head room for any future adjustments.

Speakers:  Am considering Missions, B&W, and JBL's.  A question that I would like to throw to the forum is whether my room of 16 sq meters can take floor standers or should I definitely go for bookshelves?  My preference is floorstanders BECAUSE of concerns of having my kids tip over bookshelves atop a stand.  Or should I look at wall mounted bookshelves as alternatives?  Any suggestions?  Guys, I really need opinions and suggestions, would like to go ahead with my purchase with a week or two.

Subs:  Am really not very particular about the brand, all I know is, since there is this thread about subs below 10K, I'm just thinking of the Dynaquest D120, lowest quote so far 7t, Sound Dimension, PS.

Audition Experiences...

Today was officially the first day that I lost the virginity of my ears as I went around to audition some equipment.  One fault of mine was I did not heed everybody's suggestion of bringing my own DVD.  But here are some of my feedback, more of experiences with the stores, less of my experiences with the equipment. =)

First Shop that I went to: (forgot the name, the person who assisted my also forgot to write down the name of the store, he only had his number and name [Rey de Vera]...)
Mordaunt Short (Fronts, center, sorround and subs), Yamaha 620's.  Watched Eagles' Hell Freezes Over and Kiss of the Dragon.  Noticed that the right sorround had nothing coming out, mentioned this to the guy and he just said "meron yan..." turns out his connections were wrong.  Also turns out that some of the models that he wrote down weren't the ones that were being used...ang labo ng tindahan na toh!  Somehow, I felt that the guy was doing me a huge favor for letting me audtion--what gives?

Sound Dimension
This Eugene guy was okay, perfunctorily helpful.  But as I noticed that he was consulting someone else whom I was assuming was the owner, I decided to strike up a conversation with the owner.  Lo and behold: one of those I'm-opening-my-mouth-and-doing-you-a-huge-favor type of thing.  I mean, gosh, here I am walking around literally wanting to park my near 100K hard-earned money and I have these people who are treating me like I'm buying tinapa!  What gives?!

Sights & Sounds
Was assisted by this Freddie guy.  I mentioned that I was interested in their Yammies and wanted to audition them.  He went throught the "heavy" motions of moving my preferred equipment back and forth.  You could see that these people AREN'T making enough commissions.  In fact, while I was already speaking to him and specifying the equipment that I wanted to audition, one of the sales ladies was still sitting pretty in the couch busy READING a magazine, not even bothering to look up at us!  Grabe talaga ang Park Square gang...a little customer empathy naman, a little common courtesy.  I mean, I get more polite treatment from the parking attendants for crying out loud!!!!

Upscale Audio
Had a certain Nani to contend with.  Service was not any significant improvement from the crappy treatment that I received from the friggin' stores above.  Auditioned their Denon 1802 with their PSB's, Velodyne CHT10, his total quote to me was P104k++

Architectural Audio
Buti na lang, I chose to end my day at Nico's New World Nook.  It was a delight and a pleasant experience to finally speak with someone who treats customers properly, he was intelligent, helpful, attentive and warm.  Auditioned his Denon 1802's with JBL Xti 20, Xti Center ---->pretty good.  Also tried his Infinity Alpha 20 ---> not as good as his JBL's.  Gosh, I really wished this shop had a wider range of products to offer, I would gladly pay a premium just to get the service and respect that he gives to clients.  Iba talaga pag may ari ang kausap mo.  Nico also suggested that I NOT get floorstanders, its gonna be "too boomy" daw for my small room.  You guys agree or disagree?  He also suggested that I get real expensive cables, as in 300++/meter, ganyan ba talaga kamahal ang cable?!

General questions:
1.  What is the usual terms of payment for the stores? Kung cash diba may discount?  Hindi pa pwedeng COD?
2.  When you buy, do the shops "deliver", tapos pag delivery nila kasama na ba sa service nila ang installation, hook up and eveything?
3.  What is the usual warranty for HT equipment?  May pull out ba or carry in?
4.  Please offer speakers suggestions for me, considering my room size and my "security" concerns.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:58 AM »
Reposting for greatbop

well... for 90K.. there's a lot of possible solutions you can get off it..

i'm just speculating that your room's no larger than 4 x 4 meters... (16 m^2)..

Try out umm... satellites. GOOD QUALITY SATELLITES..

Uh.. I recommend Paradigm's Cinema Series..

Energy's Take 5+1 system

and Energy's Encore series.

Or even that funky new Mirage Omnisat speakers...

They're gonna cost you considerable less than what you were willing to paying for...

And just get a good quality a/v receiver. a Yamaha 530/ 430.., Denon 1803/ 2803, or Marantz 4200, 5200...

I think if you spend 25K for the 630 receiver... you're left with 75K for your speakers and subs.. and the only speakers that would give that receiver justice is if you atleast get a good pair of TOWERs AND a SUB.. which will easily eat 60K more out of your pocket.

Keep in mind na in a system, the receiver is the 'disposable' part. Kaya don't go overkill on those.. for that size of a room.. anywhere from 80- 90 watts per channel is way more than good enough! You're gonna be upgrading your receiver once in a while every few years (ie new formats come out, etc.. Ngayon may bagong format nanaman ang DTS for DVD- As.. ).

Anyway... yeah.. Give satellites a try..

www.energy-speakers.com

- encore series
- Take 5 + 1 system
- XL series (hell.. might as well take a look)

www.paradigm.com

- cinema series
- performance series

www.psbspeakers.com

- alpha series

www.miragespeakers.com

- Omnisat series

Almost everyone in here is pimping bw, polk, klipsh, missions.. kaya no need to mention those... So i'm introducing you to canadian speaker brands. They constantly get great reviews off speakers and home theater magazines. And i think you should give these speakers a try as well.

Give the sites a little visit. Then if you think the speakers interest you, bring your cds and start auditioning.. CDs are better for auditioning speakers than DVDs, btw...

Oh, another thing.. Kung itanong nila sayo 'Kailan mo balak bumili ng system?'

always reply, "pag nahanap mo yung right set of speakers" that response right there will automatically get you a free ticket to maximum customer service.

That's my suggetions for you!! Hope i was helpful to you. Atleast always keep in mind yung response to their $tupid little question to you of "when are you planning to buy your system?'.. and always bring your cds with you. That alone tells them that you're serious in buying.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:59 AM »
Reposting for tuff_u_gong

hi,

here's my suggested setup and sources for a more or less complete audio system within your budget

a/v receiver:

yamaha rx-v800
weaknesses: no dts-es, pro-logic 2
strengths:can serve as pre-amp for possible power amp upgrade in the future, affordable for the power rating and features (e.g. centralized component video connections)

speakers:
2 pairs for front  & rear: b&w dm303
center: b&w - Lcr-3
weakness: not magnetically shielded, laminated woodframe
strength: compatible with your room size

sub: velodyne-vlf-1012
strength: it has two woofers:a 10'' active front-firing sub, 1 12'' passive,
weakness: slightly bigger than what you need.
or velodyne - cht-12 (not sure about the price)

sources: (prices may have changed, though )

rxv-800 (P23.5 k) and velodyne vlf-1012 (P24.0k): the listening room, 3/f bldg b, mega mall

b&w:
- image video- G/f harrison plaza 4 dm303s (P20k), lcr-3 (P7.9k) or
- b&w store, shangrila edsa

- with this you still have around 4k to spare for stands or mounts

just a general comment: i'm not an expert and have been hit by the ht bug just last May. honestly, though, i think a decent sub does a lot more for your ht setup than a new receiver model or powerful and branded floorstanders. in fact, my suggestion is that if you don't plan to get power amps in the future, that (since you seem to prefer yamaha over onkyo or denon or harman kardon) you get the award-winning yamaha rxv-620 instead (P18.0 k) to free up some cash for really good stands or line conditioners. i think the 630 is fine, but i don't think you can use it as a pre-amp/processor in case you decide to drive your speakers with more decent amps.

you may want to audition wharfedale's diamond series (8.1, 8.2, 8.3, etc. at ambassador appliances - greenhills or shangri-la branch) for your speaker fronts and surrounds. this will easily save you another P10k.

of course, if you're not rushing to complete your system but would want to have a really good one over a year or two, that you start out with a new receiver and pair of really good front speakers (e.g. b&w cdm -series, dynaudio audience, energy, paradigm) as the other greatbop and the other members have suggested earlier in the other threads.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 02:01 AM »
Reposting for Jermi

And just get a good quality a/v receiver. a Yamaha 530/ 430.., Denon 1803/ 2803, or Marantz 4200, 5200...

I think if you spend 25K for the 630 receiver... you're left with 75K for your speakers and subs.. and the only speakers that would give that receiver justice is if you atleast get a good pair of TOWERs AND a SUB.. which will easily eat 60K more out of your pocket.

Keep in mind na in a system, the receiver is the 'disposable' part. Kaya don't go overkill on those.. for that size of a room.. anywhere from 80- 90 watts per channel is way more than good enough! You're gonna be upgrading your receiver once in a while every few years (ie new formats come out, etc.. Ngayon may bagong format nanaman ang DTS for DVD- As.. ).

I think I will heed your advice, but the quote I got for Denon 1803 was around 23K.  Maybe I should look around for Yammie's below 19T.

Do you think my room can take foorstanders or it might be too boomy?

Almost everyone in here is pimping bw, polk, klipsh, missions.. kaya no need to mention those... So i'm introducing you to canadian speaker brands. They constantly get great reviews off speakers and home theater magazines. And i think you should give these speakers a try as well.

I think I'll stick it out with the tried and tested b&w's or Missions.  I mean, c'mon all, all of you guys have auditioned endless hours and have endless hours of "research" so, I guess I'll just stick it out with the "popular" brands here in the forum.

That's my suggetions for you!! Hope i was helpful to you. Atleast always keep in mind yung response to their $tupid little question to you of "when are you planning to buy your system?'.. and always bring your cds with you. That alone tells them that you're serious in buying.

Greatbop, many thanks.  What can I say, you were...er...great! :)

tuff_u_going:

Thanks for your suggested setup, will try to audition your specs and will give you feedback.  The speakers look good though...

http://www.bwspeakers.com/products/gallery/photo_details.cfm?object_id=9B5FBC3D-0C98-11D5-815600D0B74745A0

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 02:02 AM »
Reposting for Greatbop

Try paradigms and Energy... I acctually prefer Paradigm and Evergy over Mission eh. But that's my preference..

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 02:03 AM »
Reposting for meowpao,

Hi Jeremi,

This has got to be one of the more informative 'HT Buyers' post that I have read!  :)

If you want a Yamaha / Mission combination to audition, one of the better places to go is to The Home Theater of Sonny Tuazon. You can check his contact number here in this thread: Directory of Audio-Video Stores. You can always ask Sonny for a second opinion regarding floorstanders/bookshelves for your room.

IMHO, its better to use good quality cables.

As for the warranties, deliveries, payment options, etc., it varies from store to store. You better ask them yourself. :)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 02:05 AM »
Reposting for John5479

Canadian brands are more on the neutral side as i noticed in my auditions but due to my current budget when i first started an ht setup i never afforded them, i only audtioned psb and energy but they say paradigm is also good for the price.

If you are more into ht than in music the yammies are a good choice but if you prefer an allrounder you might want to stretch your budget just a bit  :) and try onkyo denon harman kardon.

for speakers you can go for the b&w dm series, psb alpha series (alpha B for front and rear and the matching alpha center), you can also they the acoustic energy aegis series as well, though only upscale i think sells these.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 02:06 AM »
Reposting for notaku

Canadian brands are more on the neutral side as i noticed in my auditions but due to my current budget when i first started an ht setup i never afforded them, i only audtioned psb and energy but they say paradigm is also good for the price.

If you are more into ht than in music the yammies are a good choice but if you prefer an allrounder you might want to stretch your budget just a bit  :) and try onkyo denon harman kardon.

for speakers you can go for the b&w dm series, psb alpha series (alpha B for front and rear and the matching alpha center), you can also they the acoustic energy aegis series as well, though only upscale i think sells these.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 02:07 AM »
Reposting for Greatbop

Yeah... Same company that owns energy and mirage owns Athena Tech.. kaso.. they're manufactured in China lang eh. While engineered in the same roof as enrgy/ mirage.

And i seriously waaay prefer Energy over athena.. Pero... i do think they give serious bang for your buck..

400 usd for their top floorstander!! the one which is
comparable to a connoiseur 7s (approx 800 usd)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 02:29 AM »
Hi Jeremi,

For your requirement, you can choose between Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha or Harman Kardon, you wont go wrong with any of these brands. It will only depend on your preferences. If the park square shops wont ententain you properly, then we have several member-shop-owners who are more than willing to help you like Hyperaudio, Sonny Tuason of Hometheater, Arch. Audio, Elec Depot etc. I dont want to single out a single brand or shop but these people have all the brands and gears you will need. Just call them and if you can contact them just send me a PM and I will try to call them for you.

Happy Hunting
levi

rtsy

« Reply #134 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 10:41 AM »
Concerns:  Have two kids (ages 1 &2) ergo concerns of speakers getting tipped over =)

Bookshelves on solid stands are pretty difficult to tip over.  Perform a search in this forum for Jun G. Reyes stands.

Receiver:  Yamaha's particularly because of its price and wide spread popularity in this forum.  Am looking at the RXV-630 (lowest price canvassed so far is at P24,600 from Upscale Mega), I might not be able to use the 6.1 function, but am looking at a little head room for any future adjustments.

I think 6.1 is necessary only for really wide rooms.  Your room is 16sqm so the longest side would probably be 5m+ (then ~3m on one side).  I doubt 6.1 would matter in that room.

I auditioned extensively when I bought my receiver (though not the current models).  For what it's worth and assuming the brands have retained their characteristic "house" sound, I find Yammies great on HT but rather bright, lean, and flat-imaging on music.  Denons and Onkyos are warmer (good for typically bright entry-level speakers) with an expansive soundstage.  I bought a NAD T760--warm like the Denon/Onkyo with a smaller yet more accurate soundstage.  I'm biased towards receivers with solid solid Hi-Fi roots like NAD, Arcam, Rotel, and Harman Kardon among those available locally.

I agree with your choice though of an entry-level receiver only.  I think that speakers contrbute more to the overall sound than do electronics so I'd put more money there.

Speakers:  Am considering Missions, B&W, and JBL's.  A question that I would like to throw to the forum is whether my room of 16 sq meters can take floor standers or should I definitely go for bookshelves?

While floorstanders tend to be boomier, than bookshelves, it isn't always the case.  The svelte Mission m773 comes to mind.  Dynaudio bookshelves (I have the Audience 40) on the other hand would put may floorstanders to shame with the quality of their lower frequencies.

The Mission m71/m72 are solid value for money speakers.  As for B&W, I much prefer the DM303 over the more expensive DM601 S3!  (Maybe cheap tenga ko--he, he).  You can audition these side by side at Hyperaudio's place.  I see you complained about the service in most of the Upscale stores.  I bet Hyperaudio would change your impression on Makati stores.  ;-)  Also check out Sonny Tuazon's Home Theater behind Makati Sports.

I met Nico once also.  Yes, he is very, very nice and knowledgeable.  I agree with your hope that he carry a wider range of stuff.  I told him this when we met.

Also check out Tannoys, PSBs, and Acoustic Energy.

Subs:  Am really not very particular about the brand, all I know is, since there is this thread about subs below 10K, I'm just thinking of the Dynaquest D120, lowest quote so far 7t, Sound Dimension, PS.

I hate to sound like a broken record and at the risk of being labeled as a "bass snob," let me say these:

1--good bass is expensive.  good subs need solid cabinets, lots of quality power, a great crossover, and a driver that can take a beating.  These cost money.

2--no bass is better than bad bass.

These said, I like subs from PSB (PhP20k range) and REL (PhP30k up).  M&K, Velodyne, and Paradigm subs I like tend to be sealed designs.

Let me put it this way, you'll spend several thousand on a sub anyway, might as well spend it right.  If you can't afford a good one now, be patient and save up some more.  You'd not only enjoy better bass later, you'd also enjoy the addtion of a sub more than if you had one from day 1.

First Shop that I went to: (forgot the name...Mordaunt Short

This should be 5th Avenue/Audio By Design.

Sights & Sounds
Was assisted by this Freddie guy.Grabe talaga ang Park Square gang...a little customer empathy naman, a little common courtesy.  I mean, I get more polite treatment from the parking attendants for crying out loud!!!!
Upscale Audio

See a thread I started several months ago on Reviews of Philippine Audio Stores.  More at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinoydiophiles

He also suggested that I get real expensive cables, as in 300++/meter, ganyan ba talaga kamahal ang cable?!
At that price range, you can get the Ixos 6003/6006.  I moved from a 16 guage Monster Cable to a bi-wire rin of the Ixos 6003 and boy it was an ear-opener.  I've since believed in good cables.  I now use Analysis Plus Oval 12.  Don't ask how much, OK?   :P

1.  What is the usual terms of payment for the stores? Kung cash diba may discount?  Hindi pa pwedeng COD?
2.  When you buy, do the shops "deliver", tapos pag delivery nila kasama na ba sa service nila ang installation, hook up and eveything?
3.  What is the usual warranty for HT equipment?  May pull out ba or carry in?

Cash is best.  They'll deliver after paying.  I tend to deposit straight into their accounts so I hold a document from a 3rd party (the deposit slip from the bank proving the transaction) and so I don't bring cash in the malls.  I haven't heard of a store running away with your money.

They will install but to make the most of it, tweak the system yourself.

What's pull out/carry in?

Hope this helps!

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:20 PM »

Bumping q after getting burried...

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:23 PM »

Bumping q after getting burried...

Offline jay_cee_em

• Collector
  • Ciao!
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:25 PM »
Hey Guys....check out the hot, new Denon AVR1803 (A/V receiver)...on display at the Home Theater :)

This new model, part of Denon's '03' AVR line, was just released recently along with the new AVR1603.  Was surprised to know that its a 6.1 receiver already  ;)

Here's some detailed specs on the new AVR1803:
http://www.customaudioandvideo.com/hmtheater/denon1803.html

This might be the answer to your question, greatbop  ;)  Check it out...I think stocks are just limited ...you may call Mr Sonny Tuazon for other details/pricing  ;)

Happy AVR hunting !

Ciao  ;)

Offline hyperaudio

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 09:53 PM »
hi jeremi,
here's what a killer P100,000 (less than actually) ht & music system will look like!
Receiver:
Onkyo tx-sr600 6.1 – channel digital surround receiver. Dts, dts-es discrete/matrix
6.1, dts neo:6, dolby digital ex, dolby prologic II, dolby digital ac-3. 145wx5 max
at 6 ohms (JEITA). Available in black or gold.
Digital cable: 1 meter ixos 105 75-ohm.
Speakers, stands & cables:
Front: B&W 601s3 2-way speakers. Lovan 2400 24” spiked stands. 2.5 meter pair
Ixos gamma 6003 speaker cables.
Center: B&W LCR60s3. 1.5 meter ixos gamma 6003 speaker cable.
Surround: B&W 600s3 2-way speakers. Lovan imperial 5600 56” surround stands.
? meters Wolf 14-gage speaker cables.
Subwoofer & cable:
Velodyne CHT-10 active subwoofer. 10” woofer, 150w. 2-3 meters ixos 105  75-
Ohm subwoofer cable.
Optional add-ons:
1 pc B&W 600s3 speaker for the 6th channel.
Optical digital cable.
This set-up (or most of it) is on demo at my place. Come and listen anytime. Just
Contact me at 8325710/0917-9761009.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 11:57 PM »
I acctually am interested with how this setup would sound like..

uh.. what speaker brands do you carry?? you guys got 1803s yet, (if ever you carry denons). ?

Offline hyperaudio

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 01:00 PM »
the sound...get ready to be blown away! (yabang no?)
no honestly, marami nang nakarinig and they were all very impressed (o baka binobola lang nila ko he he). ask jong for example. no man really, come and listen.
sorry greatbop, only onkyo at my shop.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 02:33 PM »
if... you carry bws... it sorta not make sense of carrying onkyos though... i think..

oh wait.. you guys have Integras, then?
(onkyo's high end receivers?)

Offline jay_cee_em

• Collector
  • Ciao!
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 03:13 PM »
Yup, greatbop   :)

Have heard the set-up and indeed I'm very much impressed  ;)  

...was so impressed I took an Onkyo receiver and a set of B&W 600s..... home  :)

I suggest you give it an audition and hear for yourself - I must say the Onkyo and the B&W speakers are a very good match  ;)  

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 05:04 PM »
this is just my opinion. i think.. for 600s to 602s you can get away with an onkyo receiver. pero for the floorstanders... I don't think onkyos are enough to push those na eh..

I've heard stories of power dips ng onkyo eh. like sa sobrang nde na makayanan mag supply ng power.. it'll just shut off yung back to speakers, etc.

Offline jay_cee_em

• Collector
  • Ciao!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 06:37 PM »
Havent had this concern with the Onkyo receiver I got (TX-DS797).  Its even able to drive my 86dB, 4-ohm Dynaudio Audience 60 floorstanders that I temporarily use as front speakers   :)

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 07:19 PM »
hmm... only happens to select fews, then. kinda like marantz going in flames... lol.

Offline hyperaudio

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 09:47 PM »
yes, some bad apples on a bunch but the bad one shouldn't spoil the whole bunch. there are some cases of onkyo (and any brand for that matter) overheating, shutting down (protect mode) or eventually going kaput (with some smoke to boot). these things can happen to our precious toys (again any brand). that's why we have our warranty cards to protect us. just fill them cards and watch all your favorite movies, listen to your favorite cd's (or lp's) as long as you like and if a misfortune befalls your receiver (or speakers, etc), let the dealer/distributor worry about the repairs (i.e.
within one year; after that you have to foot the bill, but happy to note that the service and parts are always there).
BTW, the B&W floorstanders are more sensitive than the standmounted ones (e.g. 601's 88db, 603's 90 db)
so the onkyo tx-sr600 would drive them more easily.

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Oct 04, 2002 at 09:38 AM »

try architectural audio and the home theater shop of sonny tuazon. i saw an 1803 box at the shop of sonny tuazon when i dropped by yesterday.

Offline hyperaudio

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Oct 04, 2002 at 12:38 PM »
jeremy: sent you an e-mail.

Offline Nilo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Oct 04, 2002 at 05:36 PM »
Warpzone 18,

Try having SHERWOOD AV receivers and KLIPSCH,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Speakers...The following brands are now available at the 2nd flr. robinsons galleria the shop to look for is the CALL audio video center... they just happens to know what your looking for.!!...look for nilo!!!