Author Topic: Speaker Break-in  (Read 9238 times)

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
Re:Speaker Break-in
« Reply #30 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 11:02 AM »
Hans,

Did you do the sand thing to your missions?

Just got my M73i, M70 and M7c1.  

Sound is very good out of the box and I am afraid on using sand baka mali magawa ko.

Havent used any sand yet..pero may difference daw sa bass yung m73 pag nilagyan ng sand  ;) M7c1 na lang kulang ko...same na rin tayo ng speakers.

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 11:20 AM »
Hans,

Did you do the sand thing to your missions?

Just got my M73i, M70 and M7c1.  

Sound is very good out of the box and I am afraid on using sand baka mali magawa ko.

i did the sand thing na on my m73i and it did give me a better bass.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2003 at 11:21 AM by julsp168 »

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #32 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 11:53 AM »
whats the sand thing? can you do it on a mission m72 ?
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline htboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 12:09 PM »
julsp,

Pre, suggest naman on the proper way to use sand on my M73i.

Gusto ko kasi ma break-in properly to achieve the best performance of my speakers.

Dextr,

Hirap nga magdecide, una gusto ko sana wharfs lang pero due to the magnetically shieded ng missions that answered my problem.  Mahal lang nga...  Pero very much worth it...

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #34 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 02:38 PM »
julsp,

Pre, suggest naman on the proper way to use sand on my M73i.

Gusto ko kasi ma break-in properly to achieve the best performance of my speakers.

Dextr,

Hirap nga magdecide, una gusto ko sana wharfs lang pero due to the magnetically shieded ng missions that answered my problem.  Mahal lang nga...  Pero very much worth it...

Htboy,

Mas madaling i drive yung mission kaysa sa wharf..pero given na maganda ang high powered yung avr mo maganda rin tumunog ang wharf.....yup sulit na sulit talaga ang mission

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 10, 2003 at 12:08 PM »
Htboy,

Yes naglagay ako ng sand for M73i gawa ko i made use of plastic to make ice ( doubled) tapos nag-kilo ako ng tig-1/2 kilo ng sand ( sand should be fine and dry ) tapos i ask a kid to insert so mga 5 plastic bags each speaker.

Joms,

M73i pwede but M72i hindi    

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 24, 2003 at 01:28 AM »
bump for albert

Offline tamulmol

• Collector
  • Wallanjo...Oongi!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 16, 2003 at 11:36 PM »
Mga Bro, Ang Wharf 8.3 ba mga gaano katagal siya i brake-in.  Tsaka pwede rin ba yung sand tweak dito and how? tnx...OOngi....

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 01:23 AM »
around one to two months depending on your usage.  

sand tweak,  try to carefully pry-out the rubber bungs at the back of the enclosure.  ingat lang bro sa pag-tanggal medyo mahirap, baka magasgasan yung enclosure.  try adding a little at a time (initially, almost halfway filled) until you reach the desired bass response of the speakers.

Offline De Niro

• Apprentice
  • Ace Rothstein is in the HOUSE!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 01:43 AM »
meron naman CD na pang break-in. you will use that for 8 hours i think at a certain volume level. takpan nyo na lang ng towel speakers para hindi kakahiya sa neighbors. :)  or isa pang option is, since malapit na New Years Eve isabay nyo na lang gaya ng ginawa ko three years ago. ginamit ko sakin yun Chelsky pero meron pa mas maganda dun di ko lang matandaan. . .
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2003 at 01:45 AM by De Niro »

Offline tamulmol

• Collector
  • Wallanjo...Oongi!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 02:51 AM »
Kimpao, pag napasyal ka sa MGO next week kita tayo...tanong ko tuloy sa iyo yung sand tweak....Kelangan pa ba naka-plastic yung ilalagay ko then ibabalik ko yung takip ng 8.3?  OOngiii...

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 11:32 AM »
actually, sealed naman yung pag-lalagyan (this is separate enclosure insided the speakers). para mas madali lang tanggalin yung sand pag nakaplastic.

Offline [slayer]

• Collector
  • Upgrade is Inevitable!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 17, 2003 at 01:40 PM »
For Wharfdale Owners RE: Sandfilling

Dear Sir,

You need to remove the rubber bung at the rear of the loudspeaker. You must use 'Kiln-dired' sand and no other sort.

We find here that filling the chambers about half-full produces the best mix of dynamics. Weigh out each side carefully, to ensure both get equal volumes of sand.

Best Regards

David Patching
Marketing

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2003 at 12:52 PM »
Guys,

Try nyo music with lots of bass like the one used by cars audiophiles.. mas softer ang bass hehehe.. got idea from Sir Nels76..

Offline berniebau

• Collector
  • Two heads are better, if they flock together...
  • Liked:
Breaking-in Ur Speakers
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2004 at 07:40 PM »
To all,

What's the best way to break-in your speakers? Or quickest way? I've read at MA site to break-in speakers quickly, you can put them face to face with each other, then you have to put one out-of-phase. Is this true? What's your experience in breaking in?

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2004 at 09:17 AM »
To break in left-right speakers, use music. Better yet, buy one of those test discs (like Chesky, available at Astro) that have sweep tones that you can put on repeat mode. These play all frequencies (low to high) in one sweep.

If your receiver can put out music (or those tones) in all the channels simultaneously, then do so.

By using movies only, you break in the center channel faster than the other four.

Cheers.

Offline berniebau

• Collector
  • Two heads are better, if they flock together...
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2004 at 12:21 PM »
Slowhand,
Thanks for the info.

Mods,
Thanks for showing me the way. hehehe. i tried to look for this thread. hindi ko nakita.

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Newbie here... be kind to me. =)
  • Liked:
speaker break-in
« Reply #47 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 01:28 AM »
pardon my ignorance... ???

what is "speaker break-in"? what exactly happens during this so-called "break-in period"?
how long does it take for a speaker to be "broken-in"?

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2005 at 01:34 AM by doorknob2k1 »

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
Re: speaker break-in
« Reply #48 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 10:34 AM »
Speaker break-in is similar to vehicle break-in.  When you get a new speaker... the woofers are still new, as such they are not as flexible as they should be.  Likewise, the capacitors are also new and doesnt allow current to flow as smoothly.  We normally "break-in" a speaker by allowing it to run for 100-200 hours before we can enjoy its full potential.

Breaking-in is also required for tube and ss units as well as wires and cables  :) 

As for the period of break-in; its really subjective to the type of speaker and/or music you use to break in.  There are break-in CD's available out there.  You can contact noel... his nick name is crisel at audio amplified and he can copy you one of our break-in CD's  :) 

Hope i was able to help.

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 01:07 AM »
Speaker break-in is similar to vehicle break-in.  When you get a new speaker... the woofers are still new, as such they are not as flexible as they should be.  Likewise, the capacitors are also new and doesnt allow current to flow as smoothly.  We normally "break-in" a speaker by allowing it to run for 100-200 hours before we can enjoy its full potential.

Breaking-in is also required for tube and ss units as well as wires and cables  :) 

As for the period of break-in; its really subjective to the type of speaker and/or music you use to break in.  There are break-in CD's available out there.  You can contact noel... his nick name is crisel at audio amplified and he can copy you one of our break-in CD's  :) 

Hope i was able to help.

any procedure how to break in the unit?just simple brake-in lang

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 08:23 AM »
any procedure how to break in the unit?just simple brake-in lang

Just play some music at moderate level for the initial 50 hours then increase to comfortable volume when your reach 100 hours.. Btw if you have those burn in Cd with pink noise mas ok..

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #51 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 08:53 AM »
agree with hans...try some of those XLO burn in CDs or Cheskly test discs...thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2006 at 08:55 AM by Superman »
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline magnum5

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #52 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 11:28 AM »
...just bought MS carnival 6, floorstanding speakers...sa kanilang manual, on breaking-in a new speakers, pinagharap dalawang speakers with a distance of about 10 cm, while naka out of phase ang isang speaker, meaning positive line to negtive line and negative line to positive line ng speakers..for 36  hours of moderate volume ...maganda ang resulta...sana makatulong...mga comments, welcome po...
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2006 at 11:29 AM by magnum5 »

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2007 at 10:01 AM »
sir na apply muna ba ito? ano balita?

...just bought MS carnival 6, floorstanding speakers...sa kanilang manual, on breaking-in a new speakers, pinagharap dalawang speakers with a distance of about 10 cm, while naka out of phase ang isang speaker, meaning positive line to negtive line and negative line to positive line ng speakers..for 36  hours of moderate volume ...maganda ang resulta...sana makatulong...mga comments, welcome po...

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
speaker break-in
« Reply #54 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
hi there. i always see the term "break-in" regarding speakers.

my question is how do i break-in my speakers? any do's and don'ts? when will i know that my speakers had already attained that break-in status? and what advantage will i get if i break-in my speakers?

thanks. :)

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #55 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 11:30 AM »
there's no such thing as break in.   :)

logically speaking:

if an item should be broken in because some parts change during use (that's not considering if these changes are audible or not), is it not logical to assume, continued use will further change the sound throughout the item's lifetime?
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 11:43 AM »
I don't believe in speaker break-in either. 

Speaker break-in affects woofers and subwoofers more than tweeters.

My advice is just to calibrate and use normally.  The speaker will break in normally without need for any special procedures.  After a while, when the sound changes as the parts become more flexible, just recalibrate.

Using special CDs to break in the speakers will just speed up the process of softening up the woofer's surround material.  After the speaker is broken in, the surround will not stop softening --- it will continue to deteriorate as long as the speaker is being used.

It's like a new pair of shoes.  You break in your new shoes by simply wearing them and using them normally.  After a few weeks, the shoes feel more comfortable because the flexing parts became softer.  But the shoes will continue softening as long as they are being used. 

A special break-in procedure for your shoes will speed up the process of making them more comfortable, but your shoes will also get old faster.

The same is true for speakers.  You can speed up the break-in process artificially, or just allow it to break in naturally during normal use. 
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008 at 11:44 AM by barrister »

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #57 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM »
I've had varied experiences with new speakers and cans. My Sennheiser headphones sounded bass heavy at first but it gradually lost its bass after a while. I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality with my monitor audio BR2s from the first five minutes to the 100th hour of use.

I agree and do everything that was posted above, but in addition, I go easy on the speakers at first by listening at moderate levels instead of blasting them out of the box. Kind of like keeping the revs low for the first thousand kms after bringing a car out of the dealership.

By the way, I consider speaker break-in to be at least 50% psychoacoustic. Maybe even more.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008 at 12:42 PM by kromestar »

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 01:03 PM »
thanks so much!  ;D
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #59 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 01:48 PM »

Hope i was able to help.

There is no current flow inside a capacitor. If ever, there is only leakage current.

Break in is not appropriate for an electrical device. The appropriate term is burn-in.