Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 55961 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Heroes
« on: May 16, 2006 at 12:56 PM »
NBC just announced a new series called Heroes, which will air Monday nights this Fall 2006.  Heroes is produced by creator/writer Tim Kring, Dennis Hammer and David Semel, who also directed the pilot.

From the network press release:
The epic drama Heroes chronicles the lives of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities. As a total eclipse casts it shadow across the globe, viewers follow a genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy) in India whose father's disappearance leads him to uncover a secret theory -- there are people with super powers living among us.

"A young dreamer (Milo Ventimiglia) tries to convince his politician brother (Adrian Pasdar) that he can fly. A high school cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere) learns that she is totally indestructible. A Las Vegas stripper (Ali Larter), struggling to make ends meet to support her young son (Noah Gray-Cabey), uncovers that her mirror image has a secret. A prison inmate (Leonard Roberts) mysteriously finds himself waking up outside of his cell. A gifted artist (Santiago Cabrera), whose drug addiction is destroying his life and the relationship with his girlfriend (Tawny Cypress), can paint the future. A down-on-his-luck beat cop (Greg Grunberg) can hear people's thoughts, including the secrets of a captured terrorist. In Japan, a young man (Masi Oka) develops a way to stop time through sheer will power.

"Their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world."

There are some familiar names there, notably Greg Grunberg (Alias, Lost, Felicity); Adrian Pasdar (Profit, Judging Amy, Desperate Housewives); and Milo Ventimiglia (Gilmore Girls).

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006 at 02:29 PM »
The premise seems interesting but it comes from the same guy responsible for Crossing Jordan which dampens my enthusiasm a bit.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2006 at 12:07 PM »
Looks like the series is defying expectations. Alan Sepinwall previewed the pilot:

"Pluses: Given the resume of creator Tim Kring (Crossing Jordan, Providence), this is much more interesting than I was expecting. Just as Friday Night Lights appealed to the sports nut in me, this played to my inner comic book geek. The idea of "What would happen if people got super powers in the real world?" has been done plenty of times before, from Watchmen to Unbreakable, but Kring has a nice spin on it: not nearly as solemn and pretentious as "Unbreakable," but serious enough that it doesn't seem like camp. I particularly liked Masi Oka as the Japanese hero (named Hiro, of course) and Sendhil Ramamurthy as an Indian genetics professor obsessed with proving that humans can evolve into superhumans. Also, director David Semel finds a way to shoot certain scenes as if they were comic book panels without cribbing the visual style of Ang Lee's Hulk.

Minuses: It's a huge cast (Grunberg and a few other castmembers aren't even in the pilot) and, like Surface before it, so sprawling that I'm not sure what a typical episode might look like. Despite the avoidance of spandex and other comic book tropes (though Panettiere's cheerleader uniform sort of qualifies as a costume), you really have to be a geek like me to appreciate it, I think."
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2006 at 12:09 PM by Reuven Malter »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 06:42 PM »
If the pilot is any indication, the creators were able to pull this off ala Singer's X-Men. I loved the pilot. I'm so glad this was no Mutant X. Ventimiglia wasn't irritating... yet.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 12:08 PM »
Oh, got pre-air? ;D There are 7 shows floating around. This ain't the best one.

I have a problem with this one:

It's a huge cast

I would have been fine with just the brothers' story.

It's cinematic. But made me feel sleepy, parang droned yung mood ng show.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 12:23 PM »
Hehe, droned nga ang mood. Plus, it starts during an eclipse. Saw five already. I like all of them so far: Traveler, Shark, Jericho, The Nine, and The Class. Any feedback on the other two? Runaway and Hidden Palms. Also, read that they leaked Secrets in a Small Town [sic].

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 12:58 PM »
Also, read that they leaked Secrets in a Small Town [sic].

"Picking that up" right now. That's apparently all you're going to see of the show, since the pilot wasn't picked up by ABC after all.

Any feedback on the other two? Runaway and Hidden Palms

Hidden Palms is very Kevin Williamson. Similar in tone to Wasteland/Dawson's Creek, but more urban. I'm on the fence with it. Rules of Engagement is also out already. Just started the episode, but it stars "David Puddy" and "Joey's geeky nephew." Hmm...

Whoa, this has gone off-topic. Sorry!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006 at 01:01 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2006 at 04:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Mr. Hankey! Might pass those up siguro. Picking up Runaway na lang based on CrUzAC[k]H's recommendation.

On topic, that son of Ali Larter might soon be typecasted as a wonder kid. He's also in Lady in the Water.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2006 at 09:01 PM »
Did anybody else catch the Asian Backstreet Boys reference in the Pilot?

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2006 at 10:08 PM »
That was hilarious. The creators said the original pilot was supposedly two hours but it will premiere as a one hour. Greg Grunberg was relieved he was not in the final version of the pilot. He playfully remarked in Comic Con that he was superstitious about being in pilots. We all know what happened to him in Lost.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 01:12 PM »
By the way, the pilot episode will be made available online starting Sept 1. That is, if you guys haven't already downloaded it.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2006 at 06:25 PM »
One series that I am really anticipating is Heroes. The series premier will be on Sept. 25 and here is the website:  http://www.heroes.nbc.com/

I absolutely love the concept as it mirrors J Michael Straczynski's Rising Stars comic book.

Some critics are already labeling this as the fall's worst new show:

You could watch the first few episodes of Heroes, or you could repeatedly hit yourself on the head with a brick. The effect is surprisingly similar. (Chicago Tribune)

...but I actually dug the pilot. It certainly appealed to the geek in me.

Offline coco_men182

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 12:28 AM »
Anyone else following the show? I was sold from the Pilot, but this last episode just blew me away.

*SPOILERS*

I didn't think that Hiro had to look all Terminator-slash-Samurai-like in that final scene. The writers must be thinking that the show would go for the long run (and I'm hoping that that's the case), because Hiro can't possibly learn English and grow a wicked soul patch in 5 weeks' time (just in time for New York's destruction, which I suppose is the reason for his visit to the younger Petrelli). That is, unless he travels through time and gets some language lessons.

But, godd*mn, the show just gets more and more interesting.

And how the hell can Creepy Dad Guy be in so many places with such little time in between trips? Teleporter much?

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 11:26 AM »
With the ratings it's been pulling in, expecting it to run for quite some time is not that much of a stretch. And with their way of not showing anything yet means the writers know it.

Surprisingly, that's what I'm digging about the show. That they're not blowing their wad to please the kiddies. They're taking their sweet time in establishing each of the characters first, what each of their motivations are and what not.

Also, Nikki's powers are clearer now. A lot of talk has been going around regarding what her powers may actually be. Initially, I thought that she can create a very powerful double which can get rid of anybody who tries to cross her. But in light of what this episode has shown, that may not be exactly right. While she can indeed create a double, they may not be able to exist in the same physical plane at the same time. Whenever her double comes into play, she turns dormant and is possibly stored in the nearest reflective surface. Think schizophernia, but with the half of a DNA double helix:

Take note of that symbol kiddies. It's going to be popping up more in future episodes.

And Hiro and Ando are my favorite characters on the show so far. So hell yeah, I'm buying the Futuristic Matrix Hiro.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2006 at 11:29 AM by Phobos »

Offline demented_angel

• DVD Guru
  • i'm wishing on a star, to follow where you are...
  • Liked:
Heroes
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 08:45 AM »

it's a new series on nbc before grey's anatomy, i've heard good news about this show

click here
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2006 at 04:28 PM by Phobos »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 11:01 AM »
I just got Episode 6 last week so I think it's still going strong. I've only watched up to the 3rd episode and I really am hooked. I really can't help but be reminded of J. Michael Straczynski's Rising Stars when I watch Heroes as it handles the superhero mythos with the same amount of drama and "humanity". Agree with Phobos in that it is a good thing the show is not rushing the "superhero" aspect of the characters. It really makes you feel more for the the characters and, as I've said, further humanizes them.

By the way, I've seen both the Pilot that appeared a few months ago and the Pilot that was broadcast on TV -- there were a number of changes between the two, most notably in the scene where they saw the artist on the floor (the original pilot had a far more gruesome scene) and in the final scene between the two brothers.

Offline garee

• DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 12:48 PM »
pinalabas ba ito sa studio23?
parang familiar kase

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 03:50 PM »
If you can't get enough of Heroes check out Producer-Director Greg Beeman's blog for an inside look. It's a good read with a lot of extras like this one:

http://www.gregbeeman.blogspot.com/

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
Just saw the pilot...its interesting.....another TV show...another good find.. :)

Offline coco_men182

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 05:27 PM »
What a brilliant friggin' episode.

Mr. Bennet's apparent face turn surprised the hell out of me. Who knew he had good intentions all along? He's still a major douche though.

By the way, I suggest that you guys avoid finding out which actor will be playing Syler. It's a cool casting choice. I would have been really glad and surprised once he showed up, only if I didn't know who was playing the character. Stupid IMDB.
[/Spoiler]

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 04:07 PM »
Great writing for this episode. It really propelled the plot. Jeph Loeb's fingerprints on this episode is all over the place. Can't wait for the next episode, as well as episode 10. I've read somewhere that Episode 11 will be a filler episode -a flashback on what happened to the characters before they started manifesting their powers.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 04:19 PM »
It's been implied that Eden also has powers. From what I've seen, it is to convince men to do anything she wants. For normal people, this power is also known as boobies.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2006 at 04:30 PM by Phobos »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 04:36 PM »
I like Eden. She's the femme fatale Laura from Brick
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2006 at 04:38 PM by Phobos »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 11:26 AM »
The hit NBC series has tapped Star Trek icon George Takei to play the father of Hiro Nakamura, the plucky Japanese office worker who happens to be able to bend the space-time continuum.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20061117/en_tv_eo/fed133ee-2545-4600-8073-0a626192faf0

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 12:54 PM »
Monday na naman! By tuesday afternoon we get to watch the next episode. I can't wait!

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 10:36 AM »
So the waitress can remember everything she reads?

Now that's just impossible. Everybody knows that women can't read!

Offline dibidi

• DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 02:35 PM »
I can't wait to watch Heroes my yahoo group just had a marathon on this series and they said it was remarkable.

Offline garee

• DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 07:41 PM »
Episode.10 - "Six Months Ago"
..finally Sylar was introduced.

Offline coco_men182

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 09:54 AM »
Sean Bean would have put the cream in my jeans (three times!) if he had played Sylar, but hopefully Former 24 Guy could pull it off. He looks douchey enough. Still, it's quite disappointing.

Also, if the mutation is genetic, shouldn't Mohinder have his powers revealed to him soon? Seeing as his sister had some sort of ability as well. Nikki and D.L. have their freak son, and then there's the Petrelli brothers...

This seems like the perfect opportunity for the show to take a break, though that's something I wouldn't want. Any word on the show's schedule?

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 03:45 PM »
Next week's episode, Fallout is the show's so-called fall finale. The show will return on 22 Jan 2007.

This penultimate episode was a step down from last week's suspenseful turn. Too bad Sean Bean did not play Sylar after all. Bad IMDB!

I was hesitant to watch this show after I heard Milo Ventimiglia was in it. I'm surprised he has become less annoying. It's that Suresh kid that has to go! The show would have been better off with the senior Suresh. And, how can you not love a show that has Nora Zehetner?