Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 56127 times)

Offline lord_vader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Heroes
« Reply #300 on: May 22, 2007 at 11:19 PM »
Heroes Season One
It's Official: August 28 DVD Release!

Now available for pre-order at Amazon.com for just $39. With the exchange rate now at P45.90:$1, this just comes out at around P1790! You get a full season boxset (all 23 episodes) for the equivalent price of 2 local Magnavision DVDs.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007 at 11:22 PM by lord_vader »

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #301 on: May 23, 2007 at 01:00 AM »
i totally enjoyed the last episode!!
can't wait for season 2!! :D
well i'm guessing Hiro will definitely be in Season 2!!  hehe  ;D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #302 on: May 23, 2007 at 07:18 AM »
I wouldn't even mind it being completely set in the Tokugawa era though I highly doubt it. ;D

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: May 23, 2007 at 09:34 AM »
Excerpt from Greg Beeman's blog:

while you guys may have to wait 3 months or so for the next installment, let me encourage you with the following news: First we here at HEROES are already all back at work. Episode 1 is being written as we speak and we begin shooting episode 1 in about 1 short month. I have heard the writers pitch out the story lines for the next season and lemme tell you they are freakin’ awesome. There are new characters. New powers. Some of the characters you have come to know and love, in fact, DID die last night. And ALL those who survive will be moving on in new and unexpected directions. We are all ABSOLUTELY COMMITTED to not repeating ourselves next season – but in bringing you a freshly conceived show. Also, the reason we are beginning so early is that we are all committed to long runs of the show next year with very few, and very short hiatuses. We don’t want to be off the air with new episodes for 5 or 6 weeks anymore.

Also, the DVD will be out on August 28th and it will be loaded with lots of extras. We have been working on many of those extras for several months already.

OK – that’s it. As for me, my blog will go dark for a couple of months. But this season, my plan is to come back online a few times before we air, to fill you in on what’s developing, and maybe to answer some questions you have. I’m sure the official NBC site and Herosite.net will alert you when new blogs are up.

Hang in there. And we’ll see you next year!!!

Beeman

Offline czedryk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: May 23, 2007 at 09:51 AM »
loved the season finale... now the long wait for volume 2...  :'(
i actually laughed when i saw Hiro in the Tokugawa era...
he miscalculated his time travel again, but at least he now has the chance to meet his hero Kensei in person  ;D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2007 at 11:02 AM »
What if it turns out he, in fact, is Kensei. ;D

Offline formerlysane

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: May 23, 2007 at 11:19 AM »
loved the season finale...

you serious?!  i think that episode blew.

first of all, lemme just say that the writers kinda (if not really) gimped sylar in this one... he gets stabbed by hiro just like that after stopping the bullets from parkman, shot from his blindside too.  c'mon! they were standing in front of each other and probably a good 4-5 feet away.

personally, i'm really disappointed at how they closed the season.

i hope they get better writers for season 2.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: May 23, 2007 at 11:26 AM »
it'd be nice to have Hiro's teleporting ability right now.. we could just jump straight to September for the start of Season 2.. :D

and mr. bennet's name is Noah.. huh..

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2007 at 12:21 PM »
I was just wondering:

Can't Peter use two powers at the same time? Technically, he didn't need Nathan for that last bit if he can, right? I just can't remember if he's done that before...

Overall, a pretty solid first season, and I can't wait to get this on HD DVD this summer!

Here's a possible reason (taken from a very good review in TV.com):

Peter was fighting with every fiber of his (Hero) being against the runaway nuclear reaction. He could not divert any of his energy or concentration to another ability without losing control and immediately detonating. In fact, if he had launched himself in the air and climbed to 10,000 feet before detonating, the devastating effect on the city would have been far worse than detonating on the ground. Hint: This is why nuclear weapons are detonated at altitude instead of at surface level.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2007 at 12:36 PM »
I think Kensei was the first in the line of Supers, and the legend that surrounds him is because of what he can do. Hiro is there (Tokugawa Era) to provide the back story.

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2007 at 12:49 PM »
you serious?!  i think that episode blew.

first of all, lemme just say that the writers kinda (if not really) gimped sylar in this one... he gets stabbed by hiro just like that after stopping the bullets from parkman, shot from his blindside too.  c'mon! they were standing in front of each other and probably a good 4-5 feet away.

personally, i'm really disappointed at how they closed the season.

i hope they get better writers for season 2.

i agree. the finale was just so so.

its nothing like the "five years after" episode. it would have been ok for a normal episode but it sucked as a season finale. hiro did'nt even have to stop time to stab sylar! and nathan didn't have to fly peter away, they should have let claire shoot him coz he would have regenerated anyway :P

there were a few brightspots though. i loved it when nikki hit sylar w/ the parking meter!

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: May 23, 2007 at 03:56 PM »
i agree. the finale was just so so.

its nothing like the "five years after" episode. it would have been ok for a normal episode but it sucked as a season finale. hiro did'nt even have to stop time to stab sylar! and nathan didn't have to fly peter away, they should have let claire shoot him coz he would have regenerated anyway :P

there were a few brightspots though. i loved it when nikki hit sylar w/ the parking meter!

If Claire shot Peter, the nuclear reaction would just stop for a few minutes, but it would start again as soon as he regenerated.  At best, he would be right back in the same situation.  At worst, the reaction runs out of control while he is regaining consciousness and pulling himself together.
Because of this, I think that Peter is already dead.  It will just be always the same problem if he gets regenerated.  Nathan may be alive, if Peter had persuaded him to fly off after he has flown Peter to the necessary altitude.  Parkman may be wearing a bullet-proof vest.

Offline pendrell

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
I don't know how to do these "hover to show" things on the board, so I'll just post this old fashioned, simple warning for those who wouldn't want to read these things:

****SPOILERS*****

With regards to x-ran's comments, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of Claire shooting Peter before he goes nuclear supposed to stop Peter totally from ever regenerating, since people with this ability tend to be left for dead if they got something lodged in their heads?  So, if Peter gets it,meaning getting a bullet to his head, he won't even get the chance to heal.  I think, their original plan was to shoot him in the back of his head, but at the Plaza, they were face to face with each other. So I think, it seems that it doesn't matter if it's on the back or on the front, just as long as something gets in their noggin.

Also, what was Nikki's beef with Sylar?  Can't seem to remember they ever crossed paths.  So, she just charged in the Peter-Sylar skirmish and slammed Sylar with a parking meter?  For what?  Out of the goodness of her heart to help Peter?  Or was she holding a grduge against the villain as well?  Can't seem to recall.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2007 at 12:01 PM »
I think it's out of realization what's happening and who the bad guy is. Nikki seemed to be in control of Jessica and used her power to help though she haven't met Sylar before.

Offline chocovim

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2007 at 12:23 PM »
yeah. the last episode wasnt so great. they could have done better.

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2007 at 01:15 PM »
spoiler alert

i don't think Peter is dead. it's not like the nuclear man's power makes him blow up to bits. if going nuclear kills him then he wouldn't have been in the 5 years after episode.

pendrell is right. peter wouldn't have regenerated until they took the bullet out. in the same episode peter passed out on the street when he was going nuclear and was alright afterwards so there is reason to believe that he would have exploded when he woke up.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: May 24, 2007 at 01:56 PM »
I don't know how to do these "hover to show" things on the board, so I'll just post this old fashioned, simple warning for those who wouldn't want to read these things:

****SPOILERS*****

With regards to x-ran's comments, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of Claire shooting Peter before he goes nuclear supposed to stop Peter totally from ever regenerating, since people with this ability tend to be left for dead if they got something lodged in their heads?  So, if Peter gets it,meaning getting a bullet to his head, he won't even get the chance to heal.  I think, their original plan was to shoot him in the back of his head, but at the Plaza, they were face to face with each other. So I think, it seems that it doesn't matter if it's on the back or on the front, just as long as something gets in their noggin.

Also, what was Nikki's beef with Sylar?  Can't seem to remember they ever crossed paths.  So, she just charged in the Peter-Sylar skirmish and slammed Sylar with a parking meter?  For what?  Out of the goodness of her heart to help Peter?  Or was she holding a grduge against the villain as well?  Can't seem to recall.

I can think of two things that will happen when Peter gets shot by a gun: (1) the bullet would totally pass through him, temporarily injuring him with a gunshot wound but he would be totally regenerated coz there's no obstruction; and (2) the bullet would hit a hard part (skeleton) and would get lodged inside of him, this has happened to Claire in the episode "Company Man" and remember that Claire just spat out the bullet after regenerating.  So yes, I see Peter regenerating in both instances bringing us back into a loop.  A tranquilizer would have serve the purpose better than a gun (Once again as seen in "Company Man"), but I guess the writers opt not to rehash the same trick again.

Nikki saw Sylar using his power to stop Parkman and deduced that Sylar is the bad guy.  And they were also together with Molly and Mohinder in the elevator, enough time for both of them to keep Micah's family in the loop.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007 at 02:00 PM by X-Ran »

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: May 24, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
spoiler alert

i don't think Peter is dead. it's not like the nuclear man's power makes him blow up to bits. if going nuclear kills him then he wouldn't have been in the 5 years after episode.

-somewhat of a spoiler-

That 5 years after episode is an "alternate" universe, in their world the explosion happened.  and kendo is dead.

but, i still believe he'll be back next season, cause sylar is not dead yet, he escaped thru the sewers.

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #318 on: May 24, 2007 at 03:15 PM »
Peter is alive. They've stolen so much from comicbooks that they're bound to adopt the "if there's no body..." rule. What I'm interested in is Nathan. Could he have flown fast enough to escape the blast? Or will Adrian Pasdar (whose contract, I think, has been renewed) just appear in flashbacks and as Angela's illusions?

I'm gunning for the latter. It'll be cool to have mama Petrelli using Linderman's henchwoman to maximize Nathan's Congressional seat. Plus Milo and Adrian can gay it up even more. :)   

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #319 on: May 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder whether Episode 23 was originally a two-hour episode, and if they were just forced to cram everything into one hour.  The climactic scene involving PP and Sylar had too much of a build-up too - it certainly didn't merit just the 5 mins or so of screen time that made the cut.  Hope we'll see some of the deleted scenes from this episode in the DVD. 

Having said that, I think it was still a pretty good season ender over-all.  Certainly worth a second run.

BTW, where is the Haitian (The Five Years Gone episode doesn't count)?  And we still don't know what Sylar does to the other heroes' brains to get their powers.         
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007 at 11:10 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline pendrell

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2007 at 11:02 AM »

I can think of two things that will happen when Peter gets shot by a gun: (1) the bullet would totally pass through him, temporarily injuring him with a gunshot wound but he would be totally regenerated coz there's no obstruction; and (2) the bullet would hit a hard part (skeleton) and would get lodged inside of him, this has happened to Claire in the episode "Company Man" and remember that Claire just spat out the bullet after regenerating.  So yes, I see Peter regenerating in both instances bringing us back into a loop.  A tranquilizer would have serve the purpose better than a gun (Once again as seen in "Company Man"), but I guess the writers opt not to rehash the same trick again.

Nikki saw Sylar using his power to stop Parkman and deduced that Sylar is the bad guy.  And they were also together with Molly and Mohinder in the elevator, enough time for both of them to keep Micah's family in the loop.

Sir x-ran, I've just rewatched episode 17 "Company Man,"  just to see how Claire got shot in that instance.  But the way I saw it, Claire didn't got shot straight to her head!  Parkman shot her on her torso, so even if the bullet get lodged somewhere in her chest, she can still regenerate.  Thus, she just easily regurgitated that bullet after a few minutes. The idea was to incapacitate people with this ability by leaving them dead after a fatal attack to their heads.

In episode 21 "The Hard Part,"  when Peter entrusted Claire with the gun, Peter was confident enough that Claire knows where to shoot him in the back of his head, since according to him, Claire knew the spot where she pulled out that shard of glass when Peter was thought to be dead.

So, I guess, their plan would still have worked IF Claire did shoot Peter on his head, and IF she was able to shoot her specifically at the point where she's supposed to put that bullet (even at that distance?), thus effectively terminating Peter's own ability to heal and render him dead.

A tranquilizer would have also worked, I guess, but for a short time.  When Peter was starting to heat up and at the same time looking for Claire in episode 23 "How to Stop an Exploding Man," then passed out, it delayed the sort of nuclear reaction in him.  But eventually, as we all saw it, when he was back on his feet, he started to glow again, and expectedly in the thick of his fight with Sylar.  The power must have been too much really for him to contain, and that inevitably he will explode.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007 at 11:53 AM by pendrell »

Offline pendrell

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2007 at 11:51 AM »
Here's a possible reason (taken from a very good review in TV.com):

Peter was fighting with every fiber of his (Hero) being against the runaway nuclear reaction. He could not divert any of his energy or concentration to another ability without losing control and immediately detonating. In fact, if he had launched himself in the air and climbed to 10,000 feet before detonating, the devastating effect on the city would have been far worse than detonating on the ground. Hint: This is why nuclear weapons are detonated at altitude instead of at surface level.

And here's the reason straight from the creator's mouth:

Tim Kring On Why Peter Didn't Fly Away
Posted by HeroesFan on 2007/5/24 12:41:25 (410 reads) 
So one of the big questions/debates going on in the forums since the finale is "why didn't Peter just fly away by himself before he exploded"?

Here is an answer straight from the horses mouth.

Quote:

How do you stop an exploding man? Apparently, the best way is to fly him up as high as he can go, and let him explode to his heart's content.

Certainly not the most implausible way to end the first season of NBC's hit show "Heroes," but fans were left wondering why Milo Ventimiglia's character of Peter Petrelli -- who can absorb the powers of other heroes he comes in contact with -- simply didn't fly himself away when he started to go nuclear. Instead, it was up to his character's brother, newly elected congressman Nathan Petrelli (Adrian Pasdar), to use his own flying ability to rescue his brother -- and the rest of New York City.

"You know, theoretically, you're not supposed to be thinking about that," series creator Tim Kring told TV Guide's Matt Webb Mitovich and Michael Logan. However, Kring did prove correct many theories following Monday's airing that Peter was so distracted by the fact he was about to explode that he didn't have the energy or the attention span to use an of his other abilities.

Of course, that's trying to find a way to explain an action from a story standpoint. But from an entertainment factor, Kring admitted that he was much more interested in having Nathan -- who had become somewhat of a bad guy on the show in recent weeks -- to save the day.

"Yes, I will admit that there's a very tiny window of logic there, but what can I say?" Kring said. "It requires the proverbial suspension of disbelief."

Source: syfyportal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline et414

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2007 at 01:01 PM »
-somewhat of a spoiler-

That 5 years after episode is an "alternate" universe, in their world the explosion happened.  and kendo is dead.

what i meant was if the explosion could kill him he wouldn't have been in the alternate universe.
in the current timeline the explosion still happened. peter still exploded, just not in the middle of the city

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2007 at 07:18 PM »
And here's the reason straight from the creator's mouth:

Tim Kring On Why Peter Didn't Fly Away
Posted by HeroesFan on 2007/5/24 12:41:25 (410 reads) 
So one of the big questions/debates going on in the forums since the finale is "why didn't Peter just fly away by himself before he exploded"?

Here is an answer straight from the horses mouth.

Quote:

How do you stop an exploding man? Apparently, the best way is to fly him up as high as he can go, and let him explode to his heart's content.

Certainly not the most implausible way to end the first season of NBC's hit show "Heroes," but fans were left wondering why Milo Ventimiglia's character of Peter Petrelli -- who can absorb the powers of other heroes he comes in contact with -- simply didn't fly himself away when he started to go nuclear. Instead, it was up to his character's brother, newly elected congressman Nathan Petrelli (Adrian Pasdar), to use his own flying ability to rescue his brother -- and the rest of New York City.

"You know, theoretically, you're not supposed to be thinking about that," series creator Tim Kring told TV Guide's Matt Webb Mitovich and Michael Logan. However, Kring did prove correct many theories following Monday's airing that Peter was so distracted by the fact he was about to explode that he didn't have the energy or the attention span to use an of his other abilities.

Of course, that's trying to find a way to explain an action from a story standpoint. But from an entertainment factor, Kring admitted that he was much more interested in having Nathan -- who had become somewhat of a bad guy on the show in recent weeks -- to save the day.

"Yes, I will admit that there's a very tiny window of logic there, but what can I say?" Kring said. "It requires the proverbial suspension of disbelief."

Source: syfyportal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent research work, pendrell!

So it was just done for a dramatic purpose.  I've just think of another 'loophole(?)', if you may call it that.  Sylar was able to control Ted's power... it's because his ability is to know how things work.  But Peter has been in contact with Sylar numerous times, how come he hasn't used that ability.  I think that Sylar's ability is not an active ability so in my opinion no need to be learned by Peter.  Did I just make sense or am I grasping at straws with this?  ;D

Offline pendrell

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: May 25, 2007 at 10:34 PM »

So it was just done for a dramatic purpose.  I've just think of another 'loophole(?)', if you may call it that.  Sylar was able to control Ted's power... it's because his ability is to know how things work.  But Peter has been in contact with Sylar numerous times, how come he hasn't used that ability.  I think that Sylar's ability is not an active ability so in my opinion no need to be learned by Peter.  Did I just make sense or am I grasping at straws with this?  ;D

Thanks for the compliment, sir.

Yes, I believe Sylar was able to control Ted's power, because as you said, his ability really is to know how things work.   As for Peter, though as you mentioned, that he has been in close proximity with Sylar several times, but wasn't able to harness that ability, I would think that it's because Peter really never completed his "crash" training with Claude, the invisible guy.  Thus, he never fully reached his potential of coming to that point of confidently using his own power and utilizing it to his own advantage especially in his battle with Sylar.  In essence, we all know his power is mimicry, but still, in Peter's case, it still takes time for him to master it, as we saw how he was grappling with his ability throughout the entire season.

If you remember, sir, in episodes 13 (The Fix) and 14  (Unexpected),  Claude already told Peter that it would be difficult to control his powers, but he still ended up training him, anyway.  (His instruction to Pete was to clear his mind of all attachments, but he later came on to his own realization that he would just need to remember the people whom he had met with abilities, and how he felt when he met them.)  Their training was prematurely terminated when the Primatech people became hot on Claude's tail, and for Claude dissolving their partnership immediately thinking he won't be safe with Peter and wouldn't want to risk being caught by HRG and his men.

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 01:21 PM »

I think Sylar also had enough time to learn how to control ted's powers (there was this episode where he was overlooking the city and practicing those nuclear bursts in his hand).

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 04:35 PM »
I think Sylar also had enough time to learn how to control ted's powers (there was this episode where he was overlooking the city and practicing those nuclear bursts in his hand).

Peter absorbed the power first, so if time was the factor... he would have mastered it by then.  Notice that Peter was trying to control Ted's power the first time he got it.  While Sylar looks like he was playing with it in that scene.

I think Sylar's ability to know how things work is at play there.

Offline alcobobaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 11:15 PM »
It looks like this year's Miss Universe winner will be having a role on Heroes' upcoming season..

"Mori said she is hoping to devote herself to her new role -- which includes acting as a spokeswoman for AIDS issues -- and is also looking for a possible role on the TV series "Heroes," broadcast by NBC, which has rights to the Miss Universe pageant.

"As soon as I won Miss Universe I had this big chance," she said. "I've never acted before. I went to the casting audition and read a script in English and Japanese, and they said it was really good. So I hope I can be in the show."

Mori said her role would be "Yaeko," a love interest for one of the main characters."

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/13018010.html

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 01:41 PM »
Love interest for Hiro???

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #329 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 04:45 PM »
Love interest for Hiro???

Perhaps for the samurai warrior, who in some circles is rumored to be the same person as Hiro's dad.  He may be an immortal.