Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 56122 times)

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Heroes
« Reply #360 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 11:14 AM »
Suresh and Parkman are lovers, that's what I'll remember most from the season debut. But seriously, it's just the first episode of a LONG season. I can't say I'm disappointed since I'm just really excited that it's back. As always, I'll be keeping an eye on Greg Beeman's blog (http://gregbeeman.blogspot.com/) for his insights and behind the scenes stuff.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #361 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 06:10 PM »
They must have really regretted what they did at the finale. The 'sacrifice' made by the Petrellis are now insignificant. Hiro did not really kill a man.

I'm also not disappointed. Just glad to have the show back. I thought they did a good job reintroducing the characters. I'm also eager to see how 'Veronica Mars' gets in the mix.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Heroes Season2 Episode1
« Reply #362 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 09:17 PM »
s2e1 was so-so, a little boring at times but will still let you stay focused at some

-hiros japanese hero and idol turns out to be a white guy
 -little molly seems to have a nasty temper
- this really shouldnt be a surprise but the brothers live, flying man has grown a beard and exploding man is heavily scarred

peter/exploding man was fine, as seen on the last scene. the scarred guy shown on the reflection was just on nathan's head, right?  ::)

i think they did ok with the introduction of the season's new problem - the virus  :-X

They must have really regretted what they did at the finale. The 'sacrifice' made by the Petrellis are now insignificant. Hiro did not really kill a man.

I'm also not disappointed. Just glad to have the show back. I thought they did a good job reintroducing the characters. I'm also eager to see how 'Veronica Mars' gets in the mix.

is she Sylar's shiny new toy?  ::)
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2007 at 09:18 PM by RNIverson »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #363 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 09:54 PM »
Really regret I miss out this wonderful series in the TV. Finally got the DVD season 1, thus started the marathon 2 nights ago. Now chapter 7 na....hope to finish all chapters by this Sun.  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #364 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 03:59 PM »
Episode was okay. I didn't find it boring at all. The episode basically gives the lay of the land for the second season allowing us a glimpse of how the storyline will develop. The most obvious stoyline is hiro's. Apparently it is from him that the Kensei legend will develop.

Dobler, I also got that impression with Parkman and Suresh -- it's a domestic partnership with an adoptive kid to boot. :)

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 04:14 PM »
Really regret I miss out this wonderful series in the TV. Finally got the DVD season 1, thus started the marathon 2 nights ago. Now chapter 7 na....hope to finish all chapters by this Sun.  ;D

A heroes weekend bro paul  ;D

missed the first S2 episode, i'll just get a copy from a friend (flashdrive)
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007 at 04:15 PM by Dowals »
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 01:33 PM »
Ever so slightly disappointing premiere.

But with the only casualty being an hour of my time, why gripe? No shark jumping here. . .not yet. My very slight disappointment stems not from lackadaisical pacing - - -go back to the first season and you'll find that the favors that kind of slow burn pacing, and frankly, so do I. Character over wall-to-wall action anytime. Nope it's the whiff of rehash becoming even more rank. Halfway through Heroes 1 I've sort of acclimatized to the idea that Tim Kring will be ripping off comicbook stroylines for the entire series' run and I've learned to live with it. Just wished Jeph Loeb would help him finesse his appropriating a bit. Maybe over the season. Not here, though.

And like last season's wholesale allusions to Watchmen, X Men: Days of Future Past, Rising Stars, Civil War,  this is  stuff which any self-respecting comic/TV/sci fic geek would see coming a mile away - - - the serial (or what looks like a potential serial) killing of the old guard (who are sort of like the Minutemen to the current group's Watchmen at that) is ,of course, out of  Rising Stars but more tellingly from Watchmen (is there an Ozymandias out there orchestrating all this?) , Hiro re-enacting the Kenzei legend is , of course, straight out of Michael Moorcock's Behold the Man if the arc does follow that trajectory which it most likely will knowing Tim Kring  and of course, anybody who catches Suresh's speech in the beginning knows that's Marvel's  Legacy Virus story arc they're about to tap into - - - even Adrian Pasdar's beard reminds me of Matthew Fox's beard from the last five minutes of last season's Lost, which sort of stole the thunder from Heroes for me.

Still, it was OK. Not wetting my pants and getting all giddy but will be here for the duration just to see how things pan out. One good thing is that we're spared Ali Larter's awful acting, at least for this episode. Also, the dialogue seems to be better-written this season. And then there's Stephen Tobolowsky turning that spoon into gold.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007 at 01:34 PM by X44 »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #367 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 06:26 PM »
A heroes weekend bro paul  ;D

Phew just finished season 1 after 5 days & 4 nights. :D Really enjoy it. Nice ending with all the heroes crossed paths.

Hiro has never fail to make me laugh. His future self is one serious looking guy tho.. ;D

It's good to see Nikki kicked Sylar's butt!I was expecting more action from Nikki (ops I meant Jessica) who would turn violent & shooting her way in at Sylar ;D

Since Sylar doesn't posses healing or regeneration power how on earth did he survive Hiro's attack? ??? Probbaly it will be explained in the next season. I'm dyin gto know who's the other villain that will be much worse than Sylar...could it be Linderman still alive & turns really bad @$$?  :P
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007 at 07:17 PM by pchin »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #368 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 08:48 PM »
Phew just finished season 1 after 5 days & 4 nights. :D Really enjoy it. Nice ending with all the heroes crossed paths.

Hiro has never fail to make me laugh. His future self is one serious looking guy tho.. ;D

It's good to see Nikki kicked Sylar's butt!I was expecting more action from Nikki (ops I meant Jessica) who would turn violent & shooting her way in at Sylar ;D

Since Sylar doesn't posses healing or regeneration power how on earth did he survive Hiro's attack? ??? Probbaly it will be explained in the next season. I'm dyin gto know who's the other villain that will be much worse than Sylar...could it be Linderman still alive & turns really bad @$$?  :P

future hiro's outlook in life changed and he became more serious most probably because of the death of ando.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #369 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:30 AM »
Press Release excerpt:

'HEROES' RETURNS AS MONDAY'S #1 SHOW IN ADULTS 18-49

SECOND-SEASON DEBUT OF 'HEROES' TOPS ITS YEAR-AGO SERIES PREMIERE BY 10 PERCENT IN 18-49

--------------------

BURBANK, Calif. September 25, 2007 The second-season debut of "Heroes" was Monday night's #1 show in primetime's key demographic of adults 18-49, according to preliminary "fast affiliate-based" "live plus same day" viewing figures from Nielsen Media Research. In the key 18-49 category, the season debut of "Heroes" jumped 10 percent above the show's series premiere last year on September 25, 2006.

Last night at 9 p.m. ET, "Heroes" (6.5 rating, 15 share in adults 18-49, 14.1 million viewers overall) returned as the night's #1 program in adults 18-49, topping such competition as ABC's season premiere of "Dancing With the Stars," CBS' season premieres of "Two and a Half Men" and "CSI: Miami" and Fox's "Prison Break."

"Heroes" delivered the highest 18-49 rating for any entertainment telecast on any network since the season finale of Fox's "House" on May 29.

"Heroes" won both its half-hours in adults 18-49, topping the final half-hour of "Dancing With the Stars" from 9-9:30 p.m. ET. Among adults 18-34, "Heroes" doubled its closest competition (7.3 vs. a 3.6 for ABC's "Dancing"/"Bachelor" combo). Among men 18-34, "Heroes" tripled its closest competitor (7.8 vs. a 2.5 for CBS's comedies).

This marks the top-scoring episode of "Heroes" in both 18-49 and total viewers since March 5. Versus its year-ago series-debut 18-49 results (a 5.9/14 on September 25, 2006), "Heroes" grew by 10 percent.

Preliminary 18-49 averages for Monday night are: ABC, 4.7/12; NBC, 4.6/11; CBS, 4.2/10; Fox, 2.7/7; CW, 0.7/2. In overall total viewers, September 24 preliminary results are: ABC, 15.4 million; CBS, 12.2 million; NBC, 11.0 million; Fox, 6.7 million; CW, 1.7 million

Note that all national ratings are "live plus same day" unless otherwise indicated. Metered-market household ratings are live only.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #370 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 03:08 PM »
Ever so slightly disappointing premiere.

But with the only casualty being an hour of my time, why gripe? No shark jumping here. . .not yet. My very slight disappointment stems not from lackadaisical pacing - - -go back to the first season and you'll find that the favors that kind of slow burn pacing, and frankly, so do I. Character over wall-to-wall action anytime. Nope it's the whiff of rehash becoming even more rank. Halfway through Heroes 1 I've sort of acclimatized to the idea that Tim Kring will be ripping off comicbook stroylines for the entire series' run and I've learned to live with it. Just wished Jeph Loeb would help him finesse his appropriating a bit. Maybe over the season. Not here, though.

And like last season's wholesale allusions to Watchmen, X Men: Days of Future Past, Rising Stars, Civil War,  this is  stuff which any self-respecting comic/TV/sci fic geek would see coming a mile away - - - the serial (or what looks like a potential serial) killing of the old guard (who are sort of like the Minutemen to the current group's Watchmen at that) is ,of course, out of  Rising Stars but more tellingly from Watchmen (is there an Ozymandias out there orchestrating all this?) , Hiro re-enacting the Kenzei legend is , of course, straight out of Michael Moorcock's Behold the Man if the arc does follow that trajectory which it most likely will knowing Tim Kring  and of course, anybody who catches Suresh's speech in the beginning knows that's Marvel's  Legacy Virus story arc they're about to tap into - - - even Adrian Pasdar's beard reminds me of Matthew Fox's beard from the last five minutes of last season's Lost, which sort of stole the thunder from Heroes for me.

Still, it was OK. Not wetting my pants and getting all giddy but will be here for the duration just to see how things pan out. One good thing is that we're spared Ali Larter's awful acting, at least for this episode. Also, the dialogue seems to be better-written this season. And then there's Stephen Tobolowsky turning that spoon into gold.

At least we get our fill of Ali Larter from "Resident Evil: Extinction".

As for the Moorcock allusion, wasn't Behold the Man the book where the hero goes back to the time of Jesus Christ's crucifixion only to find out that God's son was a babbling idiot - so he decides to take over His place on the cross????   Speaking of Moorcock, I hear his Elric saga is being developed by the Weitz brothers for a major studio - it's about time Hollywood pays its respects to a true hero of the fantasy genre.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 04:35 PM »
Ali's hot. Just a bad actress. Or at least badly directed. Hope she steps up her game in Season 2. She's the series' Eliza Cuthbert, pure eyecandy with no chops.

You're right about Behold the Man , dewey. I can imagine the Weitz brothers doing Elric proud , they know their stuff. Just hope that gets people to read Moorcock the way the ads for the Golden Compass movie are making some ( a few, at least) lemmings. .  .I mean, people read the Pullman books. Unlikely but we can all hope.

Waiting for someone to take a stab at Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius myself. Or did Buckaroo Banzai already do that in an offhand way?

Offline kixter

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 06:45 PM »
I just finished downloading the 1st episode.. will watch it tonight!! cant wait!! hehe..
~With great power, comes great responsibility~

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:30 AM »
Saw the second episode of the second season. It's kinda' picking up from where the first season left off.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #374 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 04:09 PM »
Ali's hot. Just a bad actress. Or at least badly directed. Hope she steps up her game in Season 2. She's the series' Eliza Cuthbert, pure eyecandy with no chops.

You're right about Behold the Man , dewey. I can imagine the Weitz brothers doing Elric proud , they know their stuff. Just hope that gets people to read Moorcock the way the ads for the Golden Compass movie are making some ( a few, at least) lemmings. .  .I mean, people read the Pullman books. Unlikely but we can all hope.

Waiting for someone to take a stab at Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius myself. Or did Buckaroo Banzai already do that in an offhand way?

Btw....I'd agree that Paul Bettany (the albino baddie from The Da Vinci Code) would make a good choice to portray the alibno swordsman with his haunted blade.  Speaking of Moorcock, how about an anime version of Hawkmoon?  I've been playing Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP and somehow, going through the lenghty but well-made anime cut scenes I keep getting reminded of Hawkmoon's well-conceptualised alternate Europe.

A Jerry Cornelius movie - don't think so.  Too British - baka babauyin naman ng mga brain-dead na Hollywood studio execs iyan like what they did with the Thunderbirds franchise or even Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy (aka HG2G).         

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
A Jerry Cornelius movie - don't think so.  Too British - baka babauyin naman ng mga brain-dead na Hollywood studio execs iyan like what they did with the Thunderbirds franchise or even Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy (aka HG2G).         

Yeah Hollywood would ruin it. Unless the Brits do it themselves. Some of the finest sci-fic out now are being done by the brits, albeit on TV - - - Dr.Who, Torchwood, etc. Grant Morrison writing it would be a dream. Of course he already did it with the Gideon Stargrave issues of his Invisibles comic.

Paul Bettany as Elric? That'll do. Bettany's also my second choice for John Constantine role that Keanu eventually played. First choice: Sting, whom the original comic book character of Constantine was based on.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 02:25 AM »
The Brits often do a good job especially when it comes to sci-fi tv. I remember Edge of Darkness, though, not at all very sci-fi-ish, but it borders on that. One aspect that I like is how they exude the atmosphere. Very plausible.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #377 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 02:14 PM »
Saw the second episode of the second season. It's kinda' picking up from where the first season left off.

I agree. But one thing bothered me again:

Much like "Why did Peter have to let Nathan fly him into the sky to explode when he can fly on his own?" my question this time is "Why would Peter agree to do one crime to get the contents of the box, when he knows he can easily disarm the thief and take the box whenever he damn well pleases?" It's just... stupid. I enjoyed the rest of the episode though, despite the continued absence of the hotness that is Nikki.  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 02:38 PM »
Could be his amnesia, hankey.

But then again he already disarmed the two thugs so that's a feeble excuse. Still an excuse, though (different from an actual reason) and one that Kring is most likely falling back on, if pressed.

It's these lapses into silliness that stops me from really loving this series. It's not one of those things where you have to shut your brain off (thank God) but most of the time it isn't that bright or sharp.

This was a better paced episode , though,and that flying toe was just a hoot!
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 02:39 PM by X44 »

Offline Pasoot

• Collector
  • d dif'rnce bet. success and failure is 1 more try
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
Could be his amnesia, hankey.

But then again he already disarmed the two thugs so that's a feeble excuse. Still an excuse, though (different from an actual reason) and one that Kring is most likely falling back on, if pressed.

It's these lapses into silliness that stops me from really loving this series. It's not one of those things where you have to shut your brain off (thank God) but most of the time it isn't that bright or sharp.

This was a better paced episode , though,and that flying toe was just a hoot!

i totally agree on that chief X44.
i also think that it's because of Peter's amnesia, or maybe the Haitian's doing? ;)
Peter seems to be no idea of whta's happening or what he is even  capable of, hence he is afraid of what he can and cannot do. remember last season he seems to be immature still.
I am wondering though when  Kristen Bell is gonna show up.  :D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 03:44 PM »
But then again he already disarmed the two thugs so that's a feeble excuse.

Exactly. He just used that power on two criminals to help the girl, and with great control - so "amnesia" really isn't something I'd accept as an explanation. Like I said - I thought it was just... stupid!  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 04:02 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #381 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 05:53 PM »
maybe it's selective amnesia..... ;D  isn't selective amnesia medically proven to exist?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 06:34 PM »
Exactly. He just used that power on two criminals to help the girl, and with great control - so "amnesia" really isn't something I'd accept as an explanation. Like I said - I thought it was just... stupid!  ;D

Agree.

I'm sure if this becomes an issue, there'll be some damage control answer but unless it's part of Kring's design, I'm willing to bet that it isn't amnesia or selective amnesia but . . .sloppy writing.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 08:55 PM »
You guys still having fun watching? Or is making sense of every little detail more important? The amnesia angle is certainly possible. There are 3 types of amnesia, Anterograde, Retrograde and Global. Oh wait, I just lost myself...  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 11:38 PM »
You guys still having fun watching? Or is making sense of every little detail more important?

Yes.

::)

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 09:47 PM »
Yes and yes,dobler.

Parang tinga lang minsan yung inconsistencies, takes a little away from fully enjoying the cuisine, so to speak, but you can still taste the flavor. Does that make sense? :)
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007 at 09:49 PM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:44 PM »
Yes and yes,dobler.

Parang tinga lang minsan yung inconsistencies, takes a little away from fully enjoying the cuisine, so to speak, but you can still taste the flavor. Does that make sense? :)

Yeah, have you read Greg Beeman's (show producer) blog yet? I think you might find his musings like an after dinner mint. If you like after dinner mint, hehe...

http://gregbeeman.blogspot.com/

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 05:04 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Incidentally, Herc of AICN has a sum-up of the two episodes so far and . . .well,disagree on a few nits he picks (Claire and Noah, specifically) and I seem to like the season a bit more than he does but he did take the words out of my mouth somewhat  - - specially on the Hiro situation and the silliness that was Angela thinking those thoughts.

Here it is.

Possible SPOILERS.

My ardor for “Heroes” continues to wane!

It is spinning its wheels and needs to find traction fast!

PETER. Beaten by Irishmen who want iPods. Sponge-bathed by Caitlin. Discovers he can heal. Discovers he can phase. Saves Caitlin from gangster’s son. Won’t get his driver’s license back unless he helps with a robbery. Why not just zap the guy until he gives you what you want?

CLAIRE. Loses her new Nissan (so peeping flying-boy can retrieve it?). She is also much more shocked than the viewers when her toe grows back.

NOAH. Has one of eight Isaac paintings and will search for the missing seven. Why is he working that stupid CopyKingdom job? Does he need that big CopyKingdom salary so he can give Claire the flashy Nissan? Is threatening his CopyKingdom boss the best possible way to lay low?

MATT. Investigates Nakamura’s murder. Brings in Angela Petrelli for questioning.

ANGELA. “We did something terrible and now someone wants revenge,” thinks Mama Petrelli just before something scratches her bloody inside an interrogation room. We kinda figured that out last week.

NATHAN. Still has a giant beard.

HIRO. Impersonates Kensei and saves the princess. Learns Kensei can do the cheerleader’s trick. Hiro couldn’t save his girlfriend/waitress but now he can alter and re-alter history? Since your powers are obviously firing on all cylinders, shouldn’t he maybe get back to the future in case the forces of good need help with Sylar?

MOHINDER. Cures the virus-stricken Haitian. He and Noah and the Haitian are all working together now. Quite the meh reveal!

MAYA & ALEJANDRO. Maya can cry deadly black tears; her brother can make them evaporate. “We are going to America to find a real doctor.” You and your brother and your superpower are boring.

Remember how great the episode-ending cliffhangers were last season?

Betcha Sylar works for the good guys this year.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 at 05:06 PM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 05:18 PM »
Also check out The A.V. Club's interview with Mohinder Suresh:

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/sendhil_ramamurthy

Possible spoilers follow...

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #389 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 06:18 PM »
just watched episode 3. so so episode :( parang wala ng focus yung storyline not like last season