Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 56112 times)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Heroes
« Reply #390 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 06:54 PM »
maybe it will all tie and connect itself up during the latter part of the season.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #391 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 07:16 AM »
Give it time, people... last year, when the show premiered, critics said it was the worst new show of the year--going back to page 1 of this thread, I'll quote the Chicago Tribune comment that Reuven posted: "You could watch the first few episodes of Heroes, or you could repeatedly hit yourself on the head with a brick. The effect is surprisingly similar."

Tim Kring has mentioned several times last year that they've actually plotted the first 5 years of Heroes; not sure if they've rewritten since then.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #392 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
umm, isnt heroes at Solar-Crime/Suspense channel still at Season 1 (part where Isaac tried to shoot Peter)

Is season 2 being shown in the Solar-Crime/Suspense channel na? Which day & what time is the show? :)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #393 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
It's a fun, often dynamic,  show that plays around with interesting concepts  . . . but lapses in logic can't be tied up like plot strands or ironed out  over a season. For example,Peter COULD HAVE/SHOULD HAVE disarmed the bad guy and gotten his personal stuff. But that would probably  mean losing some kind of buildup (i.e. viewer torture) over a few episodes. So there could be a fragile scaffolding to prop up why Peter DIDN'T do what he didn't do, all  for the sake of drawing out the situation. Fair enough. Name of the game in Network TV. Heroes isn't an HBO series after all. Maybe Kring's invoking creative license. Sloppy writing, whichever way you cut it, though,and a little annoying- - -as my friend who's a major fan of the show says: may butas,kita tali. But I still follow the thing like church.

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 at 11:32 AM by X44 »

Offline Pasoot

• Collector
  • d dif'rnce bet. success and failure is 1 more try
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 01:03 PM »
Is season 2 being shown in the Solar-Crime/Suspense channel na? Which day & what time is the show? :)

Nope not yet. they are still on Season 1.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 01:49 PM »
It's a fun, often dynamic,  show that plays around with interesting concepts  . . . but lapses in logic can't be tied up like plot strands or ironed out  over a season. For example,Peter COULD HAVE/SHOULD HAVE disarmed the bad guy and gotten his personal stuff. But that would probably  mean losing some kind of buildup (i.e. viewer torture) over a few episodes. So there could be a fragile scaffolding to prop up why Peter DIDN'T do what he didn't do, all  for the sake of drawing out the situation. Fair enough. Name of the game in Network TV. Heroes isn't an HBO series after all. Maybe Kring's invoking creative license. Sloppy writing, whichever way you cut it, though,and a little annoying- - -as my friend who's a major fan of the show says: may butas,kita tali. But I still follow the thing like church.

Imagine if US network TV followed the British model of having just 6 to 8 episodes per season. The writers would be forced to tighten everything. Possibly even getting rid of characters like Nikki/Jessica. Hehe!

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 02:12 PM »
i truly enjoy the watching heroes.  i tend not to over analyze stuff regarding the series.  it is a show after all where there's a flying man and a flying boy.  how realistic really can it get.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 at 02:34 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 02:30 PM »
A bit off topic but West, the flying boy and Claire's love interest played Hunter, Jan Levinson's assistant in The Office. "Kindred" was written by JJ Philbin formerly of The O.C., daughter of Regis and wife of Michael Shur, a writer/producer also of The Office.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 03:44 PM »
i truly enjoy the watching heroes.  i tend not to over analyze stuff regarding the series.  it is a show after all where there's a flying man and a flying boy.  how realistic really can it get.

I enjoy it,too. And I don't think it's overanalyzing.  I think Tim Kring doesn't want his audience to shut off their brains while watching his show, the way they overeagerly do so at a Bruckheimer flick.  So I don't shut it off and these little nits nag at me as a result. Nobody goes into a piece of superhero fiction  - - or any piece of speculative fiction for that matter- - - expecting dry realism.  There's a lot of suspension of disbelief going on from the get-go and you plunge into something like this with that mindset  or else. . .well, you're f**ked.  But this is a show about how people with unreal superpowers would fare in the real world. And it becomes something of a disservice to one's imagination and intelligence when such things as those little lapses in logic occur. I mean, if we're willing to accept that things don't have to make any kind of logical sense whatsoever because it is, after all, a series "with a flying man and a flying boy", then  Tim Kring and his cohorts shouldn't bother, should they? Nor should the smarter, more sharply written Marvel and DC superhero comics out there. Have Claire's SUV transform into a robot that goes back in time and fetches Hiro for the season ender battle against the 40 ft tall Sylar in downtown Shibuya - - just because it's kewl. It's a superhero TV show - - -realism isn't crucial after all, right? ;)

Sloppy writing is the culprit here, which is fine, even impeccably-written shows like West Wing and  Deadwood had instances of that and sometimes you can live with it, sometimes you can't.  Sloppy writing - - -or that nuclear blast made Peter monumentally stupid. ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 at 04:04 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 03:47 PM »
A bit off topic but West, the flying boy and Claire's love interest played Hunter, Jan Levinson's assistant in The Office. "Kindred" was written by JJ Philbin formerly of The O.C., daughter of Regis and wife of Michael Shur, a writer/producer also of The Office.

The American Office - - -a show that took the efficient "6 to 8 episode per season" model of the British original and stretched it out to . . what, is it 4 seasons already? Still funny in spots but shows you how these network moneymen don't know when to stop.

Heroes without Ali Larter? I can live with that. Good acting over eyecandy any time. :)

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 04:09 PM »
I enjoy it,too. And I don't think it's overanalyzing.  I think Tim Kring doesn't want his audience to shut off their brains while watching his show, the way they overeagerly do so at a Bruckheimer flick.  So I don't shut it off and these little nits nag at me as a result. Nobody goes into a piece of superhero fiction  - - or any piece of speculative fiction for that matter- - - expecting dry realism.  There's a lot of suspension of disbelief going on from the get-go and you plunge into something like this with that mindset  or else. . .well, you're f**ked.  But this is a show about how people with unreal superpowers would fare in the real world. And it becomes something of a disservice to one's imagination and intelligence when such things as those little lapses in logic occur. I mean, if we're willing to accept that things don't have to make any kind of logical sense whatsoever because it is, after all, a series "with a flying man and a flying boy", then  Tim Kring and his cohorts shouldn't bother, should they? Nor should the smarter, more sharply written Marvel and DC superhero comics out there. Have Claire's SUV transform into a robot that goes back in time and fetches Hiro for the season ender battle against the 40 ft tall Sylar in downtown Shibuya - - just because it's kewl. It's a superhero TV show - - -realism isn't crucial after all, right? ;)

Sloppy writing is the culprit here, which is fine, even impeccably-written shows like West Wing and  Deadwood had instances of that and sometimes you can live with it, sometimes you can't.  Sloppy writing - - -or that nuclear blast made Peter monumentally stupid. ;D

i was actually just posting my take on the matter and not generalizing that others tend to overanalyze everything. ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 at 04:14 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #401 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 04:27 PM »
Oh, sorry.  :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #402 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 09:21 PM »
The American Office - - -a show that took the efficient "6 to 8 episode per season" model of the British original and stretched it out to . . what, is it 4 seasons already? Still funny in spots but shows you how these network moneymen don't know when to stop.

I still feel the show is the best sitcom currently on air, but I really think making it an hour-long show for an entire month is too much. The episodes would be so much tighter and funnier if they had stuck to the half hour format. I mean, like, Dwight Schrute is funny in small doses. An hour of a freaky character who killed a live cat by placing it in a freezer without any remorse gets a bit too grating.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm actually getting into Heroes' second season storyline already. Random episode thoughts:

1. I loved that almost immediately after the death of Sulu, they brought in Uhura.  ;D I was completely unspoiled on this, so seeing her name in the credits and waiting for her appearance was a blast.

2. The Peter storyline really annoys me. Gee, these thugs were beating you senseless about 48 hours ago, forcing you to do a crime with them. Now just because they've embraced you, you decide that it's better NOT to find out about your unknown past, and to embrace a life of... crime? Well, Peter really wasn't very smart, even in season one, when you think about it. Still, it just seems so stupid, even for him.

3. Really, what's the deal with Mohinder and Matt? They really do act like a same-sex couple.  ::)

4. Did anyone else get the feeling that panel #8 is probably a forgery, created by "the bad guys" to create distrust between Mr. Bennet and Claire? They know that he betrayed their organization for his daughter and that they've escaped and are in hiding, they know Mr. Bennet's aware of Isaac's prophecies and will be looking for these paintings - they probably want to create discord between these two to get one of them to turn on the other. I hope I'm wrong, but that was the first thing that entered my mind when I saw episode cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007 at 09:34 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 01:21 AM »
I still feel the show is the best sitcom currently on air, but I really think making it an hour-long show for an entire month is too much. The episodes would be so much tighter and funnier if they had stuck to the half hour format. I mean, like, Dwight Schrute is funny in small doses. An hour of a freaky character who killed a live cat by placing it in a freezer without any remorse gets a bit too grating.

Agree. Although I've never truly warmed to the American version, not out of anything it did wrong but out of everything the original did right. I still re-watch the Ricky Gervais model occasionally and still get the same laughs. Not so much the Carrell model,though.

Back on topic . . .

Heroes Episode 3  - - in which Sylar displays the extraordinary ability of cleaning bloodstained hands in the time it takes to walk out of a screen door.

Maya and Alejandro are starting to to get on my nerves. Week in week out, they run, whine, get caught, display abilities ,whine, run, whine, get caught, display abilities, whine, run, whine ,get caught, display abilities, whine . . . nothing has happened to them storywise or characterwise  in the three weeks we've seen them. Get to where you're going already, Wondertwins.

And am with you on the Peter subplot. The Reverse Regarding Henry Amnesia trope - - -good and evil are aspects of memory - - -and easing him into an antihero role is interesting but there are smarter ways of doing it. "You're one of us now . . ." then cue little sister nodding in glee  ::)   Peter's character here is just going through the same conflicts his character went through last year- - -stumbling around in a haze trying to figure out who he is, what he is. How long will this guy soulsearch anyway?  The amnesia is sort of belaboring it but it's the tastiest wrinkle in his story. And NOT opening the box - - -now there's a lame way to stretch out the season as much as they can.

And those notes in the sword  - - - and the inscription to open on the hilt that turns out to be soooo easy to open. A bit dumb eh? If Kring doesn't have a big reveal planned for this - - -or at least explain why no one bothered opening  it all these years - - -this goes in the Peter Petrelli-not-opening-the-box slot.

Felt a tingle of geek pleasure when that other Enterprise crewmember made an appearance - - -as a New Orleans doyenne ,too. Hope her story turns out to be interesting. Looks it.

Also think the last painting is  forged or at least something to that effect, if only because you could see that reveal coming all the way from middle of Season 1. It's a pretty blah reveal is all and I'd like to think Tim Kring is upping his game this season around so he's not bothering with blah reveals like that anymore. Misdirection bodes well  if only because it means he has something up his sleeve and that he's gonna make me eat all my disgruntled fan ranting  - - -like turning Mohinder and Parkman into his show's Midnighter and Apollo or bringing back Chris Eccleston's invisible man or having something happen with Claire's  . . . um, appendage. Making me eat all my disgruntled fan ranting is something I want this show to make me do as soon as possible . . . like maybe next episode?

The whole thing with Noah/Mohinder/Parkman/Molly/The Company is possibly the only interesting subplot in the series so far, the one with the most possibilities for an interesting ride.

The return of Sylar  did give the dose of endorphin the series needs at this point. (Fat Candice was a hoot) The third episode was so-so but for the scenes that he was in - - - not including that  aforementioned gaffe,of course.

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 02:15 AM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 02:26 AM »
Episode 4 could do the trick.

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 02:27 AM by X44 »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 02:28 AM »
I always thought that Peter's inability to manifest his powers is a byproduct of his inability to control them. Not because he has an amnesia or something. I do think that he knew he possess a kind of extraordinary ability, but I believe there is something that precludes him from using it---not a psychosomatic dysfunction, but more of an emotional one. And yeah, it's a low point in the story. There is the possibility that this subplot would not contribute to the whole storyline, as far as some of the characters are concerned.

Yes, the Hispanic duo pretty much annoys me, I'd say. Whether they would do some good in the next few episodes or not, I guess they're just another filler to tilt the balance a little. But aside from that, they're just a less-burnished ornament that will garner the early boot out.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:49 AM »
By the end of Season 1, Peter already had a sorta firm grasp of his abilities and what to do with it  but seemed pretty conflicted as to what his role in the big picture was - - -will he destroy NY or save it?  In Season 2, he goes down that road again, it seems. He knows he has abilities but he's conflicted after he almost killed the thug   - - -is he a good guy or a bad guy?

The amnesia is  an interesting wrinkle but it's actually stalling his subplot at the same time. Why rehash a character's emotional/narrative arc? Aren't you supposed to build on it? Even 24 does that.

Granted, he doesn't much have to do with regards to the big picture not that any is forming yet) but it would have been waaaay better if Peter appeared mid-season and the first six or seven episodes we're left thinking if he was indeed alive or dead. Or, hell, if he had started off as a villain, without all this lame expositiory subplot  with the thugs etc. That would've been killer.

But maybe Kring will pull a rabbit out of the hat. You';re apparently supposed to pay attention to these first few episoides the way you would an episode of Lost. Maybe Peter Petrelli went back in time, too. Long shot but better than where he seems to be at now.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 04:06 PM by X44 »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 03:52 PM »
i will probably wait til mid season and see if the story does progress.  it' s too premature for me to judge the series right now after three episodes.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 04:03 PM »
I'll stick with this 'til the end most likely. I waited months for season 2.

I'm just pretty bored with it right now. And I never got bored with this series in Season 1 - - -it always came out the gate running, even during its lamer episodes. I just expected Season 2 to have a higher level of excitement.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 04:07 PM by X44 »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 04:11 PM »
i know what you mean.  during the first season lagi akong bitin at the end of every episode...yes even the first episode.  for season 2...ngayon third episode lang ako bitin.  the first two episodes did not do the same for me.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #410 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 10:10 PM »
I forgot Candice was also in Season 1  ;D  She seems more powerful this time, that's why I believe she's still alive.

Knowing that the mighty Sylar is a mutant serial killer and still got tricked...by a powerless Sylar  ???

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 06:10 PM »
looks like it's RPN that's carrying the new season and not Crime Suspense.. saw their commercial and it says it's coming this October..

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 06:27 PM »
Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry for RPN 9 says Heroes Season 2 already airs on Sundays at 8PM.

Could it be?  :o

ETA: Apparently not. ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007 at 08:29 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Oct 15, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
Waiting for Kristen Bell?  ;)

Bell will make her first “Heroes” appearance in October. She’ll play Elle, a character described as a sexy, mysterious young lady who has ties to the supposed death of Peter, H.R.G.’s past and the future of Claire. Elle will kick off her arc by committing a serious crime, though it’s unclear whether she’s good or bad.

I tried to search on what her powers are and I keep getting it's something electric  8)

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 11:28 AM »
From the previews following tonight's episode, Kristen Bell will be showing up on next week's ep!
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline TeddyCuds

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • This is It!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #415 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 12:31 PM »
wanna bet that Takeso Kensei is the one who killed Hiro's father? The helix is his insignia right? and would you believe that Kensei is in fact IMMORTAL?  ;D

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 02:20 PM »
Bell will make her first “Heroes” appearance in October. She’ll play Elle, a character described as a sexy, mysterious young lady who has ties to the supposed death of Peter, H.R.G.’s past and the future of Claire. Elle will kick off her arc by committing a serious crime, though it’s unclear whether she’s good or bad.

Well, I guess Greg Beeman (according to his blog) already revealed the character's supposed "loyalty". I'll still wait and see, though.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 03:10 PM »
Can't resist and looked for that blog. If that's true then there are 3 villains for Season 2 - Sylar, Bell, and Molly's Boogeyman, unless one of them become an anti-hero  ::)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 04:57 PM »
Question: Did Matt already know last season that the baby his wife was carrying wasn't his, or was that just revealed in this week's episode? I really don't remember it from last year.

I just realized that without a Peter storyline, I enjoyed this week's episode so much more!  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2007 at 06:03 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 06:31 PM »
Question: Did Matt already know last season that the baby his wife was carrying wasn't his, or was that just revealed in this week's episode? I really don't remember it from last year.

I just realized that without a Peter storyline, I enjoyed this week's episode so much more!  ;D

I think it's in the four month blind spot the show isn't showing us yet, together with DL's fate etc
- - -although why it took Hiro four months to get up off the grass and into the nearby forest with Kenzei is yet another thing that nags at my brain. The first episode was called Four Months Later and I assumed that included Hiro,too.

There could be a lot revealed when they show the Four Months Before episode down the line. Or maybe not. I think there's also a lot of crucial info to be found in the graphic novels and other peripheral stuff which I find a bit silly of the producers to make so aggressively co-dependent since not everyone is geek enough to bother with anything outside the TV show.

Haven't seen Episode 4 yet but I'm hoping it is a lot better than the last three. I'm still waiting for anybody who's actively enjoyed the last three episodes to make sense of Hiro's notes in the sword for me.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2007 at 06:33 PM by X44 »