Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 56275 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Heroes
« Reply #420 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 09:59 PM »
I think Hiro's notes are mere portents of events to come---which is oddly inexplicable for Ando to find them at the sword's hidden hilt cache (except maybe he has this strange ability to prod things that needs excessive prodding, or he is just an overcurious fella). It might tell us who exactly Takezo Kensei is, who, I think the writers need to fully develop since much of the story arc revolves around him.

One thing also that bothers me is if Hiro has the capacity to alter future events, and with his messing/rectifying up the Kensei timeline, would that have important repercussions on what transpired with season one?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #421 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 02:25 AM »
Never mind the time/space conundrums. I'm not even going there.

Ando opened it, wedge , I think, because the hilt said "Ando. Open" in Japanese.

And ,actually what bothers me about the notes are not the notes or the concept behind the notes per se  . . .but something very elementary.

An ancient sword ,probably a hundred years at least, the focus of major study, a major (or at least semi-major) museum artifact in fact prodded over years and years by experts (and maybe mostly by Lindermann, that much I give it) , with a hilt that reads "open".

And not only is it soooo easy to open but . . .

. . .nobody opens it.

(Of course, Kring could be a JJ Abrams and pull a twist out of that that would knock all our socks off. Like maybe Linderman did open it and a virtual database of things to come landed on his lap, courtesy of Hiro. I could sort of buy that. Sort of. But we'll see.)

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Or maybe just thinking. (Must.Shut.Brain.Off.) ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 02:27 AM by X44 »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #422 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 03:03 AM »
Oh, I stand corrected then. Hehe, thanks for clarifying that. Sometimes, I'm beginning to think the degree of Ando's importance to the show: if he's just an ornamental sidekick or a Dr. Watson to an unsuspecting Sherlock Holmes. Especially now that his screentime starts to wane...

Re: the notes. Those scribbled at the bottom of the hilt could, I'd surmise, be an effect caused by the ripples made by Hiro's teleportation. One reason why it escaped scrutiny by the people who studied it.

Well, that's just me. Yep, maybe the writers have some rabbits on a hat that they'll pull later on.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #423 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 10:22 AM »
@X44  -  i see your point.  an artifact hidden in the vault of mr. linderman...maybe mr. linderman has indeed read the notes already that's why he was behind everything and planned for everything for the coming events.  also why the hell were the notes still in there.  i'm sure mr. linderman's personal curator has studied everything about the sword already.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #424 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 12:25 PM »
That's the most plausible train of events, dvd freak. Although why Linderman and his cohorts would leave the notes there is what stretches credibility.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #425 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 12:28 PM »
Well, that's just me. Yep, maybe the writers have some rabbits on a hat that they'll pull later on.

If Tim Kring's writing this all by his lonesome, I'd be more lenient - - - he's only human and it's not easy. But he's got a boardroom full of highly-paid writers on this, some of them veterans, like Jeph Loeb. They better have a few rabbits in their hats or else these lapses are just unforgivable.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #426 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 01:04 PM »
Finally got up to speed with the second season. The first episode for me was ok. Not very disappointing. But the second and third episodes just leave so many obvious narrative and logical lapses that it really keeps you from being immersed completely. The sword notes are the most glaring, I think. The fourth episode is an improvement and hopefully this means that the show is starting to hit its stride again.

Personally, I think the show is becoming overburdened by so many subplots. The first season masterfully handled it but then it had fewer characters than this season's. Kring mentioned before that their plan is to follow comicbook narrative methods in that each season could focus on certain characters and leave out other character's stories for other seasons. From the four episodes I've seen it looks like that plan is not being followed. Did Kring change his mind or could this be a sign of network pressure on Kring and his team to cram in all of the characters in case some fans might get disappointed that their favorites are not appearing this season?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 02:33 PM »
Season 1 had a fairly simplistic, derivative but admittedly cohesive and entertaining arc: the "heroes" discover their powers but one of them goes rogue and goes after them as they  slowly come together . . .to save New York from a dire fate. It was, and still is, about the friction of extraordinary people  rubbing up against the ordinary world.

Season 2 has nothing new on the table yet - - -we've seen duplicating powers in the last season so Kenzei doing a Claire and West doing a Nathan isn't really special, we've also had a murder mystery before so the old heroes being stalked one by one isn't new anymore (and who else is left to kill after Angela?), we've seen Peter go conflicted and emo before too, we've seen all of them try to integrate themselves into the ordinary world. Then there's those Wondertwins. Plus . . .they're seperated again. I mean you've got a bunch of superpowered people here and they're afraid of a "company". Granted, they're missing their two most powerful members - - -Petrelli and Hiro - - but wouldn't they have more of a fighting chance if they just banded together and help each other figure out their powers, destinies, etc.

My wish is that Kring is a master of misdirection and that he will tie alll this up wonderfully. That Four Months Before episode better kick major butt.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 02:42 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 02:39 PM »
Oh, I stand corrected then. Hehe, thanks for clarifying that. Sometimes, I'm beginning to think the degree of Ando's importance to the show: if he's just an ornamental sidekick or a Dr. Watson to an unsuspecting Sherlock Holmes. Especially now that his screentime starts to wane...

Ando's the quintessence of the comic book sidekick, really. He's Hiro's Rick Jones. Of course he could have powers, too. Dig his Eraserhead do, though.

Hiro's story is starting to bore me and, as one fan said in some mesaage board, you know there's something the matter with Heroes if Hiro starts to bore you. I really think Hiro's the center of gravity of this series.

For a more obvious Holmes/Watson parallel, check the dynamic between House/Wilson in House MD. Singer and his cohorts have admitted that Holmes was their model for the House character - - - medical detective, drug habit, lives in 222B - - - but stops at having Watson/Wilson ghost-solve the cases.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 02:43 PM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 04:08 PM »
From Sendhil Ramamurthy's AV Club interview:

This season we're not going to have one overarching storyline. The first 23 episodes of last season were "Volume One," and this season the first episode through the eleventh episode are "Volume Two" and that's going to wrap up at the end of the eleventh episode. Then a new story starts "Volume Three," and "Volume Four" ends the season. We're telling more compact stories to avoid having a 23-episode build-up that's inevitably going to be a letdown for some people.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #430 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 04:37 PM »
Episode 4's relatively better.

New kid with powers shows it off before episode ends - - -that's the way to do it, not how the Wondertwins subplot plays out, who are still in Mexico albeit with Sylar in tow riding Claire's stolen SUV. Less lapses in logic. Slightly better pacing. Writing still sucks in places. There's nothing to chew on with the West/Claire romance, though, but it doesn't meander as much. And there is  one juicy tidbit involving Parkman that could potentially be interesting. And sans the wildly inconsistent and implausible Peter and Hiro stories, there's also a feeling of coherence and cohesion - - it's tighter.

Still no wow factor on the level of  . . .oh, say, Claire waking up in the autopsy room from the first season but it has picked up a bit.

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 04:41 PM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 05:52 PM »
Another development you might also find welcome X is the separation of Micah and Nikki. Greg Beeman's latest blog points out their plan is for Micah to branch out a bit with his cousins in New Orleans.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 08:09 PM by dobler »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 06:05 PM »
Yeah. That kid Micah's infinitely more interesting than his mom. Not as hot, though. :) I like the Micah In Post-Katrina New Orleans subplot mostly for Uhura. It's a geek thing. ;D

Pepful girl cousin's mimicky powers are neat, too. Just don't remember which comic character they're shoplifting that one from. Micah, of course, is a little bit of Doug from Claremont-era New Mutants and Mayor Hundred from Ex Machina. Potentially destructive power he has, too, almost on the scale of Hiro or Petrelli, in terms of offense.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 06:09 PM by X44 »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 06:43 PM »
Mimicky powers? Wouldn't that be the Marvel villain, Taskmaster?
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 08:14 PM »
Mimicky powers? Wouldn't that be the Marvel villain, Taskmaster?

Yeah. That kid Micah's infinitely more interesting than his mom. Not as hot, though. :) I like the Micah In Post-Katrina New Orleans subplot mostly for Uhura. It's a geek thing. ;D

Pepful girl cousin's mimicky powers are neat, too. Just don't remember which comic character they're shoplifting that one from.

According to TVsquad, she's got powers similar to Echo aka Ronin, a supporting character in Daredevil.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #435 on: Oct 18, 2007 at 01:04 AM »
Taskmaster - - yeah.

Echo,eh? Maya Lopez.

Must re-read my Daredevils.Echo came out during David Mack's run and she was, to my knowledge, deaf and  could replicate whatever physical ability she was in close contact with. The fight between Electra and Daredevil in that dreadful Ben Affleck Daredevil movie was lifted chapter and verse form a fight scene in the Mack arc. She was Ronin for a time in the Bendis-Yu New Avengers, although, as of my last issue read, the ressurrected Clint Barton aka Hawkeye is the new Ronin.

Oh wait,wait . . .Micah's cousin's powers are exactly like . . . Hiro's girlfriend Charlie. ::)

Apparently, the ratings have been in a steady decline since Epsiode 1, meaning a lot of people are getting smarter and have started losing interest. It appears that most of America isn;t too keen on shutting its brains off when watching this series. Not anywhere else, I'm presuming,
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007 at 01:57 AM by X44 »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 02:19 AM »
Mars attacks in Heroes!  ;D Hehe.

Though there lingers a huge doubt on which side she is...and is she a lone operator or works for someone, um, say the company?

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 10:15 AM »
Mars attacks in Heroes!  ;D Hehe.

Though there lingers a huge doubt on which side she is...and is she a lone operator or works for someone, um, say the company?

Ah yes, The Onion's AV Club calls her Darth Veronica. Who's her Daddy? I am! (In my dreams anyway).  ;D

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 11:59 PM »
She's still tracking down people  ;D ;D ;D

And the first episode to not have Claire-bear? I don't miss her at all.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 at 10:20 AM by RNIverson »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 10:42 AM »
I had high hopes for Kristin Bell's episode but sadly Episode 5 continues the downslide of quality. Except for the tantalizing possibility that Matt Parkman's abilities will evolve into something else, it was still underwhelming and still silly. An improvement over the last four episodes but that isn't saying much as the last four episodes were crap.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 10:42 AM »
Season 2 starts on the 29th at Crime Suspense..

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #441 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 11:11 AM »
Thanks for the update. Do you know what time will it be shown?

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #442 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 11:26 AM »
Thanks for the update. Do you know what time will it be shown?

I think same time as before.. 9-10pm just before Prison Break S3.. season 2 on RPN starts on sunday, the 28th at 8pm..
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007 at 03:59 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM »
I hate to admit it, but Heroes is beginning to wear me off. They've yet to establish a plausible course of the plot, and not some convoluted setpiece that wriggles its way just to make it to the 22nd episode.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 03:42 PM »
Sixth episode was bleeh. And Hiro's subplot is really starting to wear thin.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #445 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 05:01 PM »
Sophomore-slumping Heroes is turning out to be one big disappointment. Well, at least , to a few of us here, from the looks of it. Anybody still enjoying this? Curious to know if there's anything good in it that I'm missing   . . . outside of blind faith in anticipation that something good will happen . . .next episode or the next episode after that or the next episode after that.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007 at 05:02 PM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #446 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 05:17 PM »
Sophomore-slumping Heroes is turning out to be one big disappointment. Well, at least , to a few of us here, from the looks of it. Anybody still enjoying this? Curious to know if there's anything good in it that I'm missing   . . . outside of blind faith in anticipation that something good will happen . . .next episode or the next episode after that or the next episode after that.

Kill Nikki.

Bring Hiro back to the present.

Get rid of the black eye twins.

More Darth Veronica.

More Logan. More Mac. Opps, wrong show...  ;D

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007 at 05:19 PM by dobler »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #447 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 06:18 PM »
And bring Kara Thrace back! Oops wrong show din. ;D

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #448 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 02:18 AM »
Hopefully, Heroes won't be a one-season-wonder. Now that they messed up the space/time continuum that they really diverted from what makes the show ticks.

Well, probably because Jeannot Swarcz directed it, who ironically, also tried to mess up time travel with Somewhere in Time...
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007 at 02:22 AM by wedge »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #449 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 08:35 AM »
The thing with time travel stories is you never really can tell. It could be that the Kensei of legend is really Hiro and it's really Hiro who gets the girl.