Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 56088 times)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Heroes
« Reply #450 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 09:39 AM »
yup..episode 6 is pretty lame.  considering the story arc for chapter 2i s what...11-13 episodes?  the shows pace better pick up.

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #451 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 10:56 AM »
Heroes has just been de-prioritized on my download queue. I'd still see this sucker through if only because of the goodwill it got from me with Season 1.

One season wonder,eh? Could be. Just didn't think a show with this much going for it would jump the shark so soon.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 11:04 AM »
I believe second seasons are more of breakout seasons, like for instance, X-Files, which I think had their best episodes written on Season 2. But then, I just hope that it's too early to conclude of Heroes' downhill plunge (that is if their writers has not yet pulled them rabbits, it's about time to do so).

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 03:50 PM »
Agree on X Files. A lot of shows that get picked up for second seasons usually get better 
- - -Battlestar Galactica, Deadwood, 24. But Heroes ain't any of this. Either Tim Kring's a mad genius with something radical up his sleeve or a hack in deep trouble. Should we start shutting off our brains now to enjoy this?
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007 at 03:51 PM by X44 »

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #454 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 01:48 AM »
Crap, not even a glimpse of Elle  >:(  Don't you think it has too many subplots already for the main story to move on? And the future NY scene is totally cheap f/x. Please, I expect more from these big-budgeted shows... that is still airing while my other fave series are cancelled  >:( ;D :P

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 02:04 PM »
Crap, not even a glimpse of Elle  >:(  Don't you think it has too many subplots already for the main story to move on? And the future NY scene is totally cheap f/x. Please, I expect more from these big-budgeted shows... that is still airing while my other fave series are cancelled  >:( ;D :P

Sometimes I'm not really sure what is the main plot and what is the subplot. I just think the whole thing's a heap of distangled mess. Maybe Kring should make the proper organization and not give his writers the complete freedom in developing the storyline.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 01:43 PM »
From EW.com

'Heroes' Creator Apologizes to Fans

Tim Kring admits mistakes were made at the beginning of season 2, but promises to get back on track
''In retrospect, I don't think romance is a natural fit for us,'' says Kring of the love stories starring Claire and Hiro

On the chilly Monday morning that Hollywood's writers went on strike, Heroes creator Tim Kring called from the streets outside the Hollywood studio where his NBC series is shot. ''Yes, I'm picketing my own show,'' says the 50-year-old writer-producer. ''So surreal.''

But Kring wasn't calling to discuss labor woes — he was calling to explain why Heroes, suffering a creative decline and a 15 percent ratings drop from the same period last year, went from Human Torch hot to Iceman cold. The good news? A turnaround appears to be under way. After weeks of sluggish storytelling, the Nov. 5 episode recaptured some of last season's fanciful energy. We've also seen the next two episodes — and we like them, too. The cliff-hangers are back. Narrative purpose has been discovered. Old favorites like Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) and Horn-Rimmed Glasses (Jack Coleman) take center stage. Even more encouraging: Kring himself is keenly aware that Heroes is broken. Here's his candid critique:

THE PACE IS TOO SLOW ''We assumed the audience wanted season 1 — a buildup of intrigue about these characters and the discovery of their powers. We taught [them] to expect a certain kind of storytelling. They wanted adrenaline. We made a mistake.''

THE WORLD-SAVING STAKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED SOONER The premonition of nuclear apocalypse created a larger context that unified every story line last season. Kring now sees that Volume 2 (the first 11 episodes of season 2) would have been better served if Peter's vision of viral Armageddon had appeared in the season premiere rather than episode 7. ''We took too long to get to the big-picture story,'' he says.

THE ROOKIES DIDN'T GREET THEMSELVES PROPERLY New Heroes Monica (Dana Davis), Maya (Dania Ramirez), and Alejandro (Shalim Ortiz) ''shouldn't have been introduced in separate story lines that felt unattached to the show. The way we introduced Elle (Kristen Bell) — by weaving her in via Peter's story line — is a more logical way to bring new characters into the show.'' (That said, Kring says a few newbies won't make it beyond this second volume, which wraps Dec. 3.)

HIRO WAS IN JAPAN WAY TOO LONG Hiro's (Masi Oka) time-bending adventure in 17th-century Japan — where he mentored samurai hero Takezo Kensei (David Anders) — finally came to an end on Nov. 5. But Kring says it ''should have [lasted] three episodes. We didn't give the audience enough story to justify the time we allotted it.''

YOUNG LOVE STINKS Kring regrets sticking Claire (Hayden Panettiere) with a super-dud boyfriend and forcing Hiro to moon over a cutesy princess. ''I've seen more convincing romances on TV,'' he admits. ''In retrospect, I don't think romance is a natural fit for us.''

Yet while Heroes has finally found some dramatic traction, this second volume is pretty much a wash. The Dec. 3 episode has been retooled to function as a potential season finale — a move inspired by the writers' strike and a desire to give the show ''a clean slate'' when it goes back into production for Volume 3. At that point, Kring wants to craft a rebooted Heroes that can attract new fans and win back those who've tuned out: ''The message is that we've heard the complaints — and we're doing something about it.''

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 04:43 PM »
Even Tim Kring thinks his show sucks. Wonder how the talkbacks will look like now specially among the faithful few. Hehe.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 05:01 PM »
Even Tim Kring thinks his show sucks. Wonder how the talkbacks will look like now specially among the faithful few. Hehe.

Five stages yan pre. I think they're in denial right now with the writer's strike and all. They should be like Homer Simpson when he ate that blowfish and went through all 5 stages in under a minute. Hehe!  ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
i am still a fan of the show...

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 06:57 PM »
Five stages yan pre. I think they're in denial right now with the writer's strike and all. They should be like Homer Simpson when he ate that blowfish and went through all 5 stages in under a minute. Hehe!  ;D

Yeah, probably. Although madami dami na ding talkbackers who have smartly moved past denial. Umamin na yung mismo gumawa e. Hehe.

Kring says he's planning a reboot, which is what they do in comics when the material goes stale. Obviously Kring has the good sense and the good taste to admit that his own creation is experiencing massive problems and getting rather bland. Good for him and good luck with the reboot ,if it pushes through. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I just saw Ep. 7 and it has improved in terms of excitement and pacing (Daniel Attias is a competent craftsman, I liked his Silver Bullet) but it's still not reaching the bar they set for themselves with Season 1. Maybe when we get to the December 3 episode. We are back in "save-the-cheerleader-save-the-world" mode again apparently or maybe we never left.  Too bad about the Origins spinoff being suspended, though.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007 at 06:59 PM by X44 »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 04:58 AM »
Yeah, I think the previous episode somehow got the whole nine yards closer to a first down. Hehe.

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 12:57 PM »
The Dec. 3 episode has been retooled to function as a potential season finale — a move inspired by the writers' strike and a desire to give the show ''a clean slate'' when it goes back into production for Volume 3.

What?? So we are now down to the last 4 episodes? Just when things are beginning to heat up?

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 01:23 PM »
^

Sure looks like it. Not just for Heroes, but the majority of the shows on the air right now. That writer's strike sure was able to strike a big blow to the current TV season.
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #464 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 07:43 PM »
Just when things are beginning to heat up?

Yeah, I was about ready to give up on the show, then BAM!

It got a reprieve from me, which is different from what happened when I got fed up with Lost early in its second season.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 11:20 AM »
Episode 8 should have been the second season debut. Oh and Darth Veronica's appearance is proof once again why Kristin Bell is the bomb.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 11:35 AM »
kristin bell was hot here in ep8.  she plays it so well.  comes so naturally!

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 12:02 PM »
kristin bell was hot here in ep8.  she plays it so well.  comes so naturally!

Amen brother!  ;D

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 03:07 PM »
wow!  :o  :o  episode 8 brought everything together very nicely!

buhay pa pala si TK?!! how? can't wait to find out how. :) tagal pa ng next episode!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 08:24 PM »
buhay pa pala si TK?!! how? can't wait to find out how. :) tagal pa ng next episode!

I'm wondering if we watched the same episode 8, or if you're referring to a spoiler for a future episode.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 at 08:25 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 09:13 AM »
I'm beginning to think who's the real villain now...

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 10:34 AM »
I'm wondering if we watched the same episode 8, or if you're referring to a spoiler for a future episode.

yep, same episode.

TK (don't wanna mention his name lest i spoil the episode for everyone but that's his legend name ;) ) was with Peter when they esc****, remember? he's one of (if not) the first with powers (healing). ;) maybe the reason why he survived and haven't aged! ;)

was just surprised to find him there with peter. didn't expect that a bit.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007 at 10:35 AM by staind01 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 11:44 AM »
yep, same episode.

TK (don't wanna mention his name lest i spoil the episode for everyone but that's his legend name ;) ) was with Peter when they esc****, remember? he's one of (if not) the first with powers (healing). ;) maybe the reason why he survived and haven't aged! ;)

was just surprised to find him there with peter. didn't expect that a bit.

Wait. Is this the same TK that walked in the door and introduced himself to Peter at the end of episode 7?
Or was there another surprise reappearance to Peter of a dead character in Episode 8, which I still haven't seen?

If it's the same TK who had his surprise reveal iat the end of episode 7, how he managed to survive has been pretty much established since Episode 3 or so. He regenerates. Like Claire, who survived a nuclear explosion last season.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007 at 11:48 AM by X44 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 02:40 PM »
yep, same episode.

Ah, ako pala yung hilo...

I didn't know you were referring to Takezo Kensei, I just saw two initials and assumed that you were talking about Nikki's husband, who clearly died in episode 8. DL pala yun, hindi TK...

Hirap ng tumatanda, oo...  ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 02:49 PM »
....maybe they are using the same formula as they did with the Bennett character...a bad guy....or is he a good guy....or maybe a bad guy...so he is a good guy.... :D

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 01:26 AM »
Flirty Veronica!  :P

So does that mean Bob is her daddy;)

I pity her though. She's like Rogue of the X-Men.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 02:32 AM »
Why the comparison with Rogue? Bell's character can control her power, right?

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 10:01 AM »
I mean limited physical contact  ;D  I guess that's why she likes Peter since he can heal. BTW, she's still not totally in control of her power, right? Or did she electrocute Peter on purpose during their kissing scene?
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2007 at 10:33 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 07:12 PM »
Ah, ako pala yung hilo...

I didn't know you were referring to Takezo Kensei, I just saw two initials and assumed that you were talking about Nikki's husband, who clearly died in episode 8. DL pala yun, hindi TK...

Hirap ng tumatanda, oo...  ;D

yep, that's who i'm referring to. ;)  was really surprised to see him in the present!  :o can't wait to find out more. :)

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 08:25 PM »
yep, that's who i'm referring to. ;)  was really surprised to see him in the present!  :o can't wait to find out more. :)

If you read IMDb message boards, this isn't a surprise anymore cause a lot of fanboys have predicted this already. Of course, before Episode 8 was aired it was all just theories  ;D