Author Topic: ideal combinations for budget, mid-priced and high-end ht set up  (Read 2412 times)

Offline maximusIII

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • sing no sad song for me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hello mga pare

if you have the following budget, what amps and speaker combinations will you buy.

thanks a lot.  can you please also recommend the stores from which to buy these set ups

atty. jccastro
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2006 at 03:46 PM by maximusIII »
he is not poor who has so little, only he that desires much.

Offline D75C

• Collector
  • Sounds good but it makes my coffee bitter.
  • Liked:
Re: ideal combinations for budget, mid-priced and high-end ht set up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 05:37 PM »
I'm sorry for not putting out a recommendation right away.

I think we'll start off with a question for you first. How big will your listening area be? If you're married, how much of the room are you in control of?

Determining room size, will help you determine the wattage necessary to fill the room. More watts, more money. But of course, you can't go wrong with too many watts.

Speakers are really a selfish thing, you buy the brand that suits your listening taste. You don't buy the brand that other people just tell you to get.

A good start would be in the malls at Mandaluyong. You can just park in one place and walk to each and every one with the an audio CD and DVD you are MOST familiar with. and start auditioning speakers to your hearts content.

When auditioning speakers and amps, Ask them if they could play your CD, or a scene from your DVD. Then tell them to turn off the TV. You don't your other senses to be influenced by the nice visuals. You're just after the audio.

Ignore the sales pitch, be polite, and go visit the next store. You'll finish your day in no time.

Take your time, don't feel under pressure to make a purchase. It doesn't matter how many times you come back to the store, if they go all jerk-mode on you it's their loss.

Your sub may be your biggest investment, the ones that play really low cost a lot. An adequate one would probably hit your base budget of P30K.

If its going to mess on your budget. If you can't afford it, don't buy the cheaper model. Wait for a couple of paychecks then buy your super sub. A subwoofer giving up on you in the middle of a movie is a lot more distracting than the 5 other speakers sounding a little unpleasant.

This hobby is sky's the limit in terms of cost and it never ends. Only you get to decide when enough is enough.
You wonder why it still not good enough after spending P1M.

Offline maximusIII

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 04:40 AM »
thanks a lot sir. i am planning to use a 15 square meter part of our house as my entertainment center. i am also planning to buy a pj but that will come later on after i have set up my audio.  my interest is mainly on watching movies where i want dialogues to be crisp and clear.  i have no attachment to any particular brand, i just want them to be the most bang for the buck and really good at what they do. 

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 09:11 AM »
Bang for the buckcombination.... Yamaha AVR and Whafedale Diamond series...wala na atang tatalo dyan ......

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 11:48 AM »
I agree.
Since you're more into HT get a Yamaha and Wharfs.
Bang for the buck and really good for what they do.
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
Greetings, panyero  :D

Mostly movies din ako, and I also require clear dialog because I find subtitles distracting. 

If it's clarity you need, start with Yamaha receivers.  Then try matching it with speakers that will produce the tonal quality your prefer.  Bright speakers matched with Yamahas tend to produce a harsh midrange, but when matched with warmer speakers (such as the Wharfedales), the Yamaha will produce a more balanced output.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2006 at 12:21 PM by barrister »

Offline audibleillusions

• Collector
  • Hi-fi, HT,Professional Audio and Video Store
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS
sir try to drop by
50D TIMOG AVENUE. QUEZON CITY
FEEL FREE TO DROP BY VISIT THE PLACE

or call us 3743620

Offline maximusIII

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 01:36 PM »
thanks mga pare.  give me free advice on audio matters and i'd give you free advice on annulment of your marriages.  hehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 02:36 PM »
AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS
sir try to drop by
50D TIMOG AVENUE. QUEZON CITY
FEEL FREE TO DROP BY VISIT THE PLACE

or call us 3743620

sir, san po malapit ito if i'm coming from East Ave.? is it near the circle?

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 02:44 PM »
im not familiar with the streets po, but if you know where the former LEXUS is located, is right beside it. Hope this helps  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2006 at 03:30 PM by skylynx888 »

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 10:10 PM »
im not familiar with the streets po, but if you know where the former LEXUS is located, is right beside it. Hope this helps  ;)

thanks sir, familiar na ako sa streets dun.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 01:04 PM »
Hmm, mga suki ng Lexus  :D

30k wont buy much but 60-120k is just right.

for 120k I would get, in order of priority:

Sub Velodyne or M&K sub---24-34k depending on model
AVR HK340 or Yamaha 1500, Denon 2105 or up--- 30+k
Speakers Mid level Mission, Monitor Audio, JBL, B&W bookshelf speaker or Wharfe Evo series.

This is still a Mid level setup. High end HT's cost 300k & up (separates). And high end receivers alone cost at least
120k.

A common mistake I see a lot is prioritizing the speakers (specially floorstanders) then to give whats left of the budget to any receiver that fits the bill. Then somehow, you might see these people selling their setup someday  :(, cuz of wrong system matching (HT has no UMPH!). Their HT's might not perform to their best potential cuz of an underpowered AVR .

If you were to cut corners due to budget, I suggest you cut corners with speakers, not receivers. Speakers are very easy to sell, but NOT receivers (specially the weaker ones). So get an GOOD one at the start. Bookshelf speakers are easier to power, and since the sub takes care of the LFE, bookshelves are enough for HT if you want to cut corners. Also, you can use cheaper surrounds from other brands and sell em (speakers are easy to sell) in the future when you have funds for matching rears, as they are not too critical in HT.

Always take note that floorstanders are harder to power. You may be able to make them produce sound even with lower powered receivers, but whether its giving you its 20% or its 99% best performance is the question. If you are willing to produce funds to buy a "pretty" floorstander, always keep in mind that you need to set aside funds to make the "pretty" floorstander sound PRETTY.  :)

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 10:55 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 02:03 PM »
Also another excellent HT setup I heard:

Infinity HCS 5.1 speaker set & HK 630. around 80+k

Excellent tiny (surround spkr sized) bookshelf speakers that sound like floorstanders when well powered.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2006 at 02:08 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 09:46 PM »
I took Matz advice and got a good receiver now I'm looking around for speakers to match....a lot of people have recommended the Aurum Cantus F series....planning on the 5000c and the four 5000r speakers going to use generic cable and basic stands at first then work my way up from there.... ;D...will use the set-up 90% for movies and 10% for music....

I think I'm going to end up with a mix of the mid priced and budget regions....

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 10:00 PM »
Advise needed:  :)

I'm looking to buy a new set of HT speakers.  Sold my previous one a couple of years ago (B&W, Velo).  Gusto ko sana yung di expensive kasi I'm saving my money for a separate stereo setup.  I still have my old AVR (Yamaha RXV1200) and I'm set on Velo again for the sub (pwede na CHT10, used to have a VLF1012) so front, surrounds & center na lang ang kailangan.

I've read good things about Wharfdale Diamond 9 & Pacific Evos and I can't believe how cheap they are. How do these compare to the old entry-level favorites from Mission & Monitor Audio?.  How about the Mordaunt Short Carnivals which are so cheap din. How about Archi Audios Dali offerings? Budget is 30 to 50, the lower the better syempre.

Thanks.

Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 10:42 AM »
I took Matz advice and got a good receiver now I'm looking around for speakers to match....a lot of people have recommended the Aurum Cantus F series....planning on the 5000c and the four 5000r speakers going to use generic cable and basic stands at first then work my way up from there.... ;D...will use the set-up 90% for movies and 10% for music....

I think I'm going to end up with a mix of the mid priced and budget regions....

You have an excellent receiver there that could drive even B&W 602's if you want them. The nice thing about having a good receiver is that you have a wider choice between entry level to mid level speakers since your AVR can handle them without a sweat. I think AC plus your NAD will be a good combo since AC is bright & NAD is warm, IMO a good combo!

For 90% HT use, Bookshelf speakers & generic cables are no problem at all & I would recommend the same. But use at least 12awg wires.  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 10:43 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new set of HT speakers.  Sold my previous one a couple of years ago (B&W, Velo).  Gusto ko sana yung di expensive kasi I'm saving my money for a separate stereo setup.  I still have my old AVR (Yamaha RXV1200) and I'm set on Velo again for the sub (pwede na CHT10, used to have a VLF1012) so front, surrounds & center na lang ang kailangan.

I've read good things about Wharfdale Diamond 9 & Pacific Evos and I can't believe how cheap they are. How do these compare to the old entry-level favorites from Mission & Monitor Audio?.  How about the Mordaunt Short Carnivals which are so cheap din. How about Archi Audios Dali offerings? Budget is 30 to 50, the lower the better syempre.

Since your AVR is a good mid level model, go for the Mid level speakers if you can. The Wharfe evo's are wonderful sounding & wonderfully priced as well. They would beat entry level Missions & MA's, but are at par in performance with the same mid level models....but cheaper!

My 2 cents recommendation with your Yamaha 1200, since you will be having a separate audio setup, would be Wharfefe Evo bookshelves & velo sub.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 11:10 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 11:35 AM »

I suggest you audtion the diamond 9.5 speakers and compare with the brands you have in mind and see if you like what you hear for the price they are asking.  C/net reviews and many other online reviews say they are the best sounding speakers below the $1,000 price point.  And it's great they're so cheap locally.  Ofcourse you don't have to believe them so auditioning is best. 
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 11:36 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 11:43 AM »
IMHO:

30k - NAD 521BEE integrated amp + B&W 302
60k - ST 70 + (Monitor Audio Silver series / Triangle spkrs / Epos)
120k - too many options

:)
money is best spent

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 11:58 PM »
matzter & av_phile, thank you for your feedback.  I see you're both wharfedale fans. Auditioning is easier said than done because of variances in room acoustics, gear and other acoustics influences. Kaya I'd rather read and rely on forum reviews (for HT anyway). The internet has such a wealth of info and opinions, its just a matter of choosing the trustworthy ones. (But if I'm gonna blow big bucks on a stereo setup, thats another matter.) If I'd learned anything from my initial foray into HT, it is that you don't need megabuck speakers to enjoy HT where the most important speakers are the sub and the center.   

Question po, do you think the Evos are worth the price diff over the 9's if used purely for HT?
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 12:05 PM »
Hehe, no, I am more of a Mission fan but I also like the EVO's.

If I'd learned anything from my initial foray into HT, it is that you don't need megabuck speakers to enjoy HT where the most important speakers are the sub and the center.

True most of the time, but that also depends on your level of enthusiasm for HT. I have heard of a 20m HT setup (phils) using Burmesters. I guess the guy is enthusiastic with HT & spending.

If you were to spend megabucks for speakers, spend it for music na lang, not really sa HT.

Question po, do you think the Evos are worth the price diff over the 9's if used purely for HT?

My recommendation. Get wharfe 9 bookshelves plus a good sub for HT & get the EVO for audio. Your 1200 will power the easier to drive bookshelves better, since the subs handle the LFE for HT anyway, no need for floorstanders. Whatever you save, allocate it to your audio setup. This way, you are following what you learned in the quote above.

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 12:25 PM »
I'm currently planning to change my setup. I'm using a yammy 650 avr, i'm contemplating on getting a MIssion M52 as my fronts. And I'm also getting a Onkyo 5160 power amp. Would the M52 fit my AVR with the power amp? I'm really confuse on what to get but no plans of getting rid of my avr. anything that you can recommend is greatly appreciated. My budget for the front is 30k max. The setup would be 60/40, 60 for HT.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006 at 12:26 PM by Assassin101 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 12:44 PM »
I'm currently planning to change my setup. I'm using a yammy 650 avr, i'm contemplating on getting a MIssion M52 as my fronts. And I'm also getting a Onkyo 5160 power amp. Would the M52 fit my AVR with the power amp? I'm really confuse on what to get but no plans of getting rid of my avr. anything that you can recommend is greatly appreciated. My budget for the front is 30k max. The setup would be 60/40, 60 for HT.

Of course it will fit. You dont need to get rid of your AVR of course since its got pre outs.

Nice amp!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 02:45 PM »
Ayt. Diamond 9.2 fronts, 9.1 rears, the 9 center, and a Velo CHT10 should do the trick for HT right?.  For the audio setup I'm thinking something closer to Triangle floorstander level but thats for another day. Thanks and good day.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 03:04 PM »
Ayt. Diamond 9.2 fronts, 9.1 rears, the 9 center, and a Velo CHT10 should do the trick for HT right?. 

Plus the Yammy 1200, superb!  8) Based on my experiences, I believe your setup will even sound better than a setup w/ a lower model receiver trying hard (naghihingalo) to power floorstanders.  8)

Since the 1200 is a good mid level AVR, you can also opt for the mid level Evo bookshelf speakers. Thats the advantage of getting a good AVR, you have the option to choose between mid & entry level speakers and still have great results. I believe otherwise for getting an entry level AVR & pairing it with mid level speakers (just my 2 cents). I know a friend who did this, his comment "kapos eh"  :-\.

For the audio setup I'm thinking something closer to Triangle floorstander level but thats for another day.

Superb choice again! I love those speakers! (just couldn't afford em yet  :D)

Listen also to ProAcs. They may look plain...but the sound is just stunning.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006 at 04:28 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2006 at 09:51 AM »
Of course it will fit. You dont need to get rid of your AVR of course since its got pre outs.

Nice amp!

tama po ba, it will give good results. hindi kakapusin ang m52.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2006 at 05:21 PM »
Saw the Diamond 9's in person for the first time.  Nice looking speakers. I think I will be getting the bipole 9DFS in lieu of the 9.1 as surrounds for better sound dispersion and easier wall mounting. Anyone know where I can get nice speaker stands (better than those cheap Perfectviews anyway)? Thanks.

Also got a quote for the CHT-10.  Lol my sub will be 50% more expensive than the rest of the speakers.

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 12:10 AM »
Good Morning Again Sir!

Just read your posts for the different budgets and can agree to the Yamaha wharf combination.  Check out the store at Powwrplant too, there is one for Yamaha, near the cinema and an AV surfer if you are still into Denon's.The SM aplliance center (yes at powerplant too!) at the basement, has HK drivers just in case you want to check that.  They will be more than glad to assist you there, it is hooked up to JBL speakers though.

Cheers!

Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer