Author Topic: What's your Halloween/All Saint's Day DVD?  (Read 36588 times)

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What's your Halloween/All Saint's Day DVD?
« on: Oct 26, 2001 at 02:43 PM »
with halloween just around the corner.(just a week to go)
just wondering what dvd's you would consider watching on halloween night.

my favorite is tim burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
since this dvd is good from halloween till x'mas.
i know this is not really a scarry movie....
so i've ordered suspiria limited ed.
, hopefully this will be the dvd that i'll be watching on halloween night. if i don't get it by then then i would have to settle for my box set of nightmare in elm street.

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2005 at 11:29 AM by Kahon »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: so what's your halloween dvd?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2001 at 06:25 PM »
good choice on "nightmare before christmas", i still feel that the movie is really unappreciated, hope it does age well

for me, ill be watching "wizard of oz" this halloween, for some reason the movie still creeps me out, especially yun tin man and the flying monkeys..takot ako eh
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2001 at 07:31 PM »
;D ;D Little shop of horrors!!  hehehe!! sa title pa lang horror na!!! although comedy sya...eh okey na pang horror!! di kasi kami bumibili ng horror kasi matatakutin si misis sa mga ganyang pelikula!! hehehe!! ;D ;D

Pero siguro kung merong horror movie na bagay sa halloween ....maganda yung Exorcists!!  talagang nakakatakot yun!!   ;D ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2001 at 08:22 PM »
Boogeyman- a compilation of film clips from Friday the 13th, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wishmaster, Child's Play, Hellraiser, etc.  Also includes the trailers of each plus the history of each Boogeyman.  :o :o :oBOOOOO!!!!

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2001 at 11:16 PM »
Pero siguro kung merong horror movie na bagay sa halloween ....

Just watch the news on TV...

"Nightmare Before Christmas" is my personal favorite though.

JOHN

Offline clockwork chico

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2001 at 12:13 AM »
i remember doing the "rocky horror picture show" thing when i was in the states 4 years ago..nung una nakakahiya but after absorbing the cheesiness of it all, it got to be very fun..

sana mayron ren dito...pero kaunti lang yun nakakaalam na pinoy ng movie na yun and its tradition  :(

btw, the dvd comes with a "theatre experience" feature..u guys should check it out

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2001 at 08:35 AM »
I havent watched the last 7 DVDs I bought so I might be able to watch them now. I might watch Ghost on  halloween para romantic hindi spooky.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2001 at 08:47 AM »

i remember doing the "rocky horror picture show" thing when i was in the states 4 years ago..nung una nakakahiya but after absorbing the cheesiness of it all, it got to be very fun..

sana mayron ren dito...pero kaunti lang yun nakakaalam na pinoy ng movie na yun and its tradition  :(

btw, the dvd comes with a "theatre experience" feature..u guys should check it out

sige sama ko diyan sa rocky horror theatre experience ;D

i'll even wear my  Frank-n-Furter transexual costume.... :o

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2001 at 10:19 AM »
Here my top 10 list of scariest dvd's for halloween:

10.Halloween
  Masked psycho Michael Myers gives Jamie Lee Curtis one scary night of baby-sitting
  in a groundbreaking flick that buries its unworthy sequels.
9.The Evil Dead
 Low-budget screams: Cult hero Bruce Campbell hacks up his buddies
 with an ax and Sam Raimi scores first blood as director.
8.Salem's Lot
 From horror-meister Stephen King: The pint-sized bloodsuckers summon
 the biggest scares in this vampire flick that doesn't bite.
7.Carnival of Souls
 The '60s "Sixth Sense"? Church organist sees dead people,
 in a cult classic that proves black and white is still scary.
6.Dawn of the Dead
 A crowd-free shopping mall sounds like a dream, but brain-munching
 zombies turn it into a gruesome nightmare.
5.Rosemary's Baby
 Sex with Satan? Mia Farrow unwittingly beds the beast in this chilling fable.
 And yes, he's scarier than Woody Allen.
4.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
 It's common sense to avoid guys named Leatherface who own chainsaws,
 a lesson this flick teaches with gory gusto.
3.The Shining
 Is anything scarier than Jack Nicholson going out of his gourd?
 Oh yeah, creepy twin girls and a hallway of blood.
2.Suspiria
 It's a bad time to be in ballet when fellow students are getting stabbed,  
 hanged and tortured. Watch this with the lights out.
1.The Exorcist
 Head-spinning and projectile vomiting are just the beginning in a movie
 that features some of the most disturbing religious perversions on film.

Offline freakondvd

• Collector
  • Fellow dvd addicts, unite!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2001 at 12:05 PM »
Bently, thanks for that list. I'm especially intrigued by "Carnival of Souls".

I saw "Suspiria", "Salem's Lot" and "Rosemary's Baby" on VHS lang. Pero dun pa lang, natakot na ako. Paano pa kaya pag DVD na? Lalo na 'yung "Suspiria"! Opening sequence pa lang, kakatakot na! And the music of The Goblins really gives me the creeps--I even bought the soundtrack from Amazon! Siguro, gagamitin ko sa Halloween--pang-mood music! And I really have a thing with glass windows--for me, a horror film is not a horror film without them! Sometimes, looking through a glass window can really be a frightening experience, and this film effectively brings out that fright. I watched this movie, though, with my friends pero hindi sila gaano natakot. Mas effective nga itong panoorin pag nag-iisa ka at patay ang ilaw (it worked for me that way kasi... I remember stopping the tape dahil hindi ko na kaya!)...

And what about "Salem's Lot"?! Again, the glass window scene freaked me out!

Here are my recommendations:

"The Innocents"--another must for your Halloween DVD list! It's the story of a governess (played by Deborah Kerr) who thinks that her two wards are possessed by the devil--yup, "Sound of Music" (minus the jolly songs) meets "The Exorcist"! I also can't forget the glass window scene!

I saw Ridley Scott's "Alien" a couple of years ago and it felt like a horror picture for me!!!

"The Changeling"--one of the best "haunted house" movies I've seen.

I'm also intrigued by Dario Argento's other films: "Bird With the Crystal Plumage", "Cat O'Nine Tails", "Trauma" and "Deep Red".

Offline voodooh

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 03:38 AM »
just got the evil dead series from amazon...groovy!

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 03:51 AM »

just got the evil dead series from amazon...groovy!

Does your Evil Dead 3 Army of Darkness have the 2 endings?  
1- the one that he gulped more than the 3 drops of the potion to go back to the present time but then woke up in a post holocaust era
2- he went back to the present time in S-smart and found out that there was a ghoul in the supermarket and shot it away with his ever reliable Remington shotgun

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 08:53 PM »
I haven't decided yet on what to watch during the "holidays," maybe later I can post a title I have in mind. In the meantime here's a list from Nando Times:

RANDY A. SALAS: Top 10 horrifying DVDs for Halloween

Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune

(October 29, 2001 10:02 a.m. EST) - This list of the 10 best horror DVDs ever includes only films that enlighten as well as frighten. In addition, only films with worthwhile DVD extras - commentaries, deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes documentaries, etc. - were considered.

1. "John Carpenter's The Thing" (Universal, $24.98 ): There isn't a DVD commentary better than that of director John Carpenter and star Kurt Russell. And the film, about a shape-shifting alien loose in the Antarctic, is incredibly gruesome and, well, chilling. Amid scads of inviting extras, including a hidden score, is the aptly titled documentary "Terror Takes Shape."

2. "Lady in White" (Elite, $29.95 ): You might have missed this creepy ghost story from 1988, but it's well worth tracking down. Director Frank LaLoggia is an ideal guide to navigate the many supplements for his labor of love.

3. "Seven" (New Line, $29.95 ): Like commentaries? This well-filled two-disc set offers four of them - plus a dissection of the innovative title sequence, deleted scenes and image galleries.

4. "Night of the Living Dead" (Elite, $29.95 ): Be sure to get the only good version of this 1968 George Romero classic, Elite's - with its high-quality transfer and two commentaries by cast and crew. An honorable mention goes to the DVD for the 1990 remake (Columbia Tristar, $19.95).

5. "Dracula" (Universal, $24.98 ): As if the 1931 original with Bela Lugosi isn't enough, this DVD offers the option of viewing it with Philip Glass' new score - plus you get the equally good Spanish take on "Dracula," filmed on the same sets at the same time.

6. "The Silence of the Lambs" (Criterion, out of print): A carefully edited commentary by major players as well as actual statements by serial killers highlight this superior version (replaced by an MGM release). You can find it on eBay for $25 to $30.

7. "The Exorcist" (Warner Bros., $24.98 ): Skip "The Version You've Never Seen" and look for straggler copies of the 25th-anniversary edition, which has a better commentary by its creators and a head-turning BBC documentary.

8. "The Omen" (Fox, $19.98 ): A 46-minute retrospective and better sound for Jerry Goldsmith's Oscar-winning score make this a low-priced treat.

9. "Alien" (Fox, $29.98 ): In your home theater, no one can hear you scream over great Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and more musical treats: an isolated score and alternate music cues (again, courtesy of Goldsmith). Director Ridley Scott provides engaging commentary.

10. "The Birds" (Universal, $29.98 ): The only one here without a commentary track, but a 90-minute documentary - almost as good as the movie - makes up for it. Be sure to check out the hilarious trailer with droll host Alfred Hitchcock.

Honorable mentions (in order): DVDs for "Frankenstein" (1931), "Psycho" (1960), "Nosferatu" (1922, Image special edition), "Re-Animator" "The Blair Witch Project," "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "Scream" and "Susperia."

Boo!

Offline Geoffrey

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 10:01 AM »
I find SIXTH SENSEscary, I cant stand watching it alone. I'm surprised that it was not mentioned on this thread...hehehe...baka matatakotin lang talaga ako ;D

Offline voodooh

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 11:58 AM »
i haven't watched the army of darkness yet...i'll check if it's the one with two endings...

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 01:38 PM »
I watched this movie Superstition before in the 80's.  It was a story of a warlock/witch who was crucified and was drowned in the 1500's in this lake. Several centuries later (at present time) the demon personified as a young girl "Mary" kills inhabitants of a house built beside the same lake.  The demon succeeded in killing everybody in that house except for one guy who burned that lake thinking that it was over but the last part showed the demon's hand pulling the guy into the lake. Some would label this a B-movie but it sure gave me the willies.
Just wondering why this movie isn't in the video stores anymore.  Tried looking for it in Amazon and it was a lost search. Just wondering..........  
It had some juicy parts in that movie like the teenager's head exploding inside the microwave, the window sill that cut another teenager's body in half, the possessed circular saw ripping the priest's sternum cutting his heart, and my favorite part when one of the daughters was nailed to the ground by the demon through her forehead.   :o

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 01:47 PM »

I watched this movie Superstition before in the 80's.  It was a story of a warlock/witch who was crucified and was drowned in the 1500's in this lake. Several centuries later (at present time) the demon personified as a young girl "Mary" kills inhabitants of a house built beside the same lake.  The demon succeeded in killing everybody in that house except for one guy who burned that lake thinking that it was over but the last part showed the demon's hand pulling the guy into the lake. Some would label this a B-movie but it sure gave me the willies.
Just wondering why this movie isn't in the video stores anymore.  Tried looking for it in Amazon and it was a lost search. Just wondering..........  

got this from yahoo movie:

Suspense/Horror

A reverend and his family move into a house near Black Pond. Soon thereafter, they come face to face with the evils created by a powerful witch.

here's a link to blockbuster if you want to rent it
S
uperstition - Blockbuster.com

found some good reviews too at imdb.com , heres the link

have a safe halloween
bently

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2001 at 03:02 PM »
bently- I saw this video in VHS/VCD for sale in Astrovision and the cover was way different from what you have posted.  The cover reproduced here wasn't very inviting and really portrayed a spaghetti movie.  So people who haven't watched this movie would shy away from this title because of the cheap looking pics.  No wonder it didn't reach a month in circulation here before they discontinued their sales.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2001 at 07:36 AM »
Is superstition where there was this middle aged man who was inhabited by maggots? there was this scene where he took a pair of tweasers and were taking the maggots out of an unhealed sore in his body. eeeeyuh...

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2001 at 08:22 AM »

Is superstition where there was this middle aged man who was inhabited by maggots? there was this scene where he took a pair of tweasers and were taking the maggots out of an unhealed sore in his body. eeeeyuh...

thanks wcvmorasa for the very graphic discription...
it really sits well with my coffee and halloween hangover ::)

haven't seen this one yet, hope it comes out in dvd soon.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2001 at 08:48 PM »

thanks wcvmorasa for the very graphic discription...
it really sits well with my coffee and halloween hangover ::)

haven't seen this one yet, hope it comes out in dvd soon.

bently,

thanks for the compliment, i think. hehe.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2001 at 09:37 PM »

Wasn't that scene in one of the sequels of Hellraiser?  The guy trying to scrape off the maggots from his skin using a blade?  

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2001 at 11:33 PM »

Wasn't that scene in one of the sequels of Hellraiser?  The guy trying to scrape off the maggots from his skin using a blade?  

I think it was the 2nd installment, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe we should rename the thread to Maggots on DVD? no? just kidding.

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:What's your Halloween DVD?
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2003 at 12:39 AM »
sleepy hollow
the nightmare before christmas (se)

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2003 at 10:52 PM »
I think maganda ring pang halloween movie yoong The Others with Nicole Kidman and of course, The Exorcist...

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2003 at 09:03 PM »
please include THE RING... :)

Offline demented_angel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm wishing on a star, to follow where you are...
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2003 at 01:40 AM »
The Eye  :o :o :o

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
What's your Halloween DVD?