Author Topic: R3 Discs: The Law of Supply and Demand  (Read 5456 times)

Offline chinoh151

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: R3 Discs: The Law of Supply and Demand
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2006 at 10:03 PM »
Den MAGNIVISIONS, any info?? Still waiting for a reply. :)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 01:14 PM »
The problem in my opinion is there is really just a small market for original dvds. Im not promoting piracy but in reality with the way corruption is in this country, hardships and low pay, the market for original dvds is not gonna happen, hopefully it will thou. How can we fully eradicate piracy?  1. It is better for people to sell pirated cds, dvds than doing nothing at all. I rather have them sell this than go out stealing. Thou piracy is indeed stealing a lot out of the movie business and video business.  2. An average Juan De la Cruz should make more than at least 30 thou or more a month to afford this. Imagine going to the movies with his whole family of four paying 480 pesos (tickets only). They can just buy 60 peso disc and enjoy it at home.  Consider daily expenses in life food, rent, medicine, how can one afford a 895 disc, Box sets at 2,000 or more. 3. The govt is so corrupt how can they stop piracy, the people who sells know when the raid is gonna happen. Showing Raids in the news are just for show. 4. Astrovision, Astroplus and others are just too small. Selections are not there, Pirated have french, hong kong movies and many other english movies old and new. Will HMV survive here.. I dont think so. Recently Ive been buying a lot of original, I fully support it. But how can this take off if really there is not much demand because of affordability. Its great now they have 2 disc sets at 550 pesos. Just my 2 cents.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 02:44 PM »
If they price it low enough, there will be a market.  What will all video players sold nowadays capable of playing DVDs.  If they could sell them at 190, 295 or 333 (as during sales) and make a profit, why sell them at an astronomical (at least to a poor country as us) 750 or 895.  That kind of pricing turns people off.  Warner's pricing is better structured, that's why I no longer wait for sales to get their titles. 

But if you bought say Walk the line for 750 and Feels like Heaven for 895 then see them on sale at 350 and 895 a month later during mall sales.  You feel cheated, next time around a good title comes out at 895, you wouldn't buy it anymore.  It happened to me many times.

And there's the problem of packaging.  R3's packaging leaves a lot to be desired.  If you want to corner the higher end market, then make the package as good as R1, after all, you are charging near R1 pricing.

Good packaging, right pricing = increased demand.

As to selection, hopefully Pinoydvd.biz would change that.  Right now, you already have the entire Warner R3 catalog at your fingertips.  Maybe Astrovision will follow once they see competition...

My feeling is that in time, DVD will be priced like VCD (P100-200) but barebones, no extras.  By that time, Blueray and HD-DVD will be the high-end of the market.  But not anytime soon... maybe 2010. :) Personally, I don't see myself upgrading from DVD to HD-DVD, especially on titles I already owned, since I already invest a small fortune in them...then again, that's what I say when my collection was in beta tapes, then in video CD...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 05:13 PM »
Bigla atang nawala yung rep ng Magnavision, si Den.  Natakot siguro.  His first post was also his last.   ;D

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2006 at 04:00 PM »
mahal kamo ang mga dvd nila at ang daming magagandang movies sa region 1 na di nila na ire-release pa rin dito dahil hindi nila alam kung ano ang mga dapat i-release!...............it takes a lot to be an avid movie fan than a mere distributor of movies who import only what is shown and from alleged blockbusters

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2006 at 08:16 PM »
Magnavision releases are far higher than that of Warner or Disney/Fox/Viva.  Warner's releases is now down to less than 5 a month with the exception of TV series.  I have no issue with regard to releases....

Packaging at pricing lang...

Law of Supply and Demand says that if price is low then demand will increase.  But Magnavision sells all their imported DVD9 at 895, the highest among local distribution.   So demand for these are low when the DVD first comes out...  by the time they discount it to 375 or 333, the title is not hot anymore, so even at that price it may not sell... 

Not all titles are like that, but many are. 
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 08:44 AM »
ya I agree the packaging here is crap.. Parang pir...ted lang siya. Especially the buy 3 for 600 right now. Ya and brand new at 895 is too much for me...