Author Topic: Why no R3 FOX titles?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline krazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why no R3 FOX titles?
« on: Nov 14, 2006 at 06:49 PM »
Has anyone noticed that there are very few R3 Fox titles?  This is very disappointing especially with Fox produced hit TV shows like Prison Break and 24 box sets which are nowhere to be found locally especially since these are hit shows which should sell very well.  Isn't Viva the official distributor of 20th Century Fox in the Philippines?  If so, what's keeping them from releasing more Fox titles?

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Why no R3 FOX titles?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:19 PM »
It's not just Fox (X-Men 3, Ice Age 2, etc.), but Viva titles in general including Disney's (Cars) which have been showing significant delays.

We really don't know why but I can only speculate:

Probably their "yoyo" pricing has backfired on them. Alam na yata ng lahat na nagiging P299 ang titles nila, so maybe just a few really buy their titles at P750/P900. So this doesn't give them a reason to rush in their releases in time with the international release. Maybe they are still trying to figure out the best way to solve this and one possiblity is to price new titles at P550, just like their most recent ones (Little Mermaid Special Edition, High School Musical)...

Or they could be having problems with re-packaging lately. (Maybe the one in-charge with packaging has already been fired because of numerous misspelled words on their recent DVDs?  ;D)
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:20 PM by lord_vader »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:41 PM »
It really works to their disadvantage to delay release dates of R3 DVDs. They have to remember that it's the internet age, and people can order things from other countries to get a supply of what they're withholding. The local market for original DVDs are mostly people who can afford to make online purchases.

Like, I still buy VIVA Fox/Disney releases at full retail price if it's a title I really want to get. However, when X-Men United was delayed, I opted to buy the R1 version instead, since the wait was too long. More lost income for them. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who did this.

VIVA... take note: You snooze... you lose.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:44 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2006 at 09:08 AM »
poor marketing strategy to ng viva, aside from the fact that the designated importers of the movies that they have to buy does not have the knowhow on what movies to import........there are many great movies from fox, even during the forties......................grapes of wrath, song of bernadette, the day the earth stood still (1951),how green was my valley..........but have not seen the light of day here

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2006 at 09:35 AM »
They should take their cues from Warner Phils. :

• Their releases are either day and date with (or some times earlier than) the US release dates.
  • They have very good price points (brand new release at P425, P499, etc)
  • They and excellent collector's editions (Batman Begins, Corpse Bride, V for Vendetta, Superman collection, etc).
  • They have been diligent (although not comprehensive enough for me) in their catalogue of TV shows released on DVD (Friends, West Wing, Sopranos, Smallville, etc.)

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2006 at 04:01 PM »
mas magagaling ang mga employees ng warner philippines kaysa sa viva!