Author Topic: What is the difference of AVR/Line conditioner/Surge protector  (Read 6418 times)

Offline 24bit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dear Gurus,
I'm planning to buy a power conditioner. When I check the web the meaning of these devices (Auto voltage regulator, surge suppressor, line conditioner) are almost identical functionality and some products have it all. Can somebody explain this clearly and is it recommended or not necessary to do a daisy chain for these devices? For example: Line Conditioner -> Surge suppressor -> Automatic Voltage regulator or any order?

Thank you in advance, I'm sure many members or non-members will benefit for your answers.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: What is the difference of AVR/Line conditioner/Surge protector
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 12:35 PM »
In my case its outlet-->Bada Line conditioner w/ surge suppressor---> Voltage regulator---> Receiver & power amp.

My sources (CDp, DVDp) Video projector (w/ UPS) and audio pre amps are connected directly to the Line conditioner.

I met hardcore audiophiles who do not use voltage regulators cuz they claim it degrades the sound. But they have a device connected to the wall plug indicating the voltage, if there are bad spikes, they just turn off the system. I saw this device being sold at SGT home theater.

I use my voltage regulator for my receiver & power amp only. But all audio gears go to the line conditioner.

Once, I was almost planning to shelf my surplus CDp (wasnt performing to my expectation) but after a few days w/ my line conditioner, I noticed some extended highs and the music was much better. Even background music tracks during movies would really make meĀ  :o :o notice them (I usually ignore em).

A month later, I read The Complete Guide to High End Audio, and it confirms that the extended highs, etc. are caused by the Line conditioner.

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006 at 12:36 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 11:15 AM »
A line conditioner is not an AVR, but if you live in a condo and your power supply is stable (make sure), you only need a line conditioner, since it has a surge protector already to protect your gear from sudden surges (after brown outs).

Take note that most AVRs DO NOT have surge protectors & your equipment will STILL be damaged from power surges.

Offline wolvenfang

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Don't beat urself up!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
sir matzter what is the diff between surge line conditioner and line filter? cuz i have this panther voltage surge protector with line filter, isline filter the same as line conditioner?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 11:31 AM »
I used to have that Panther too but I didnt really hear any sonic differences in my system.

I was also able to borrow an Audioprism Noise Sniffer that can detect noise from your outlets. The panther still emitted some noise though it was quite lessened. Using a Line Conditioner, the noise was totally gone, zero. My guess is (take note just a guess) that this was meant for computers, not audio systems. As mentioned in the article above regarding Line Conditioners, computer line filters should not be used for audio systems cuz they are constructed differently.

Go to SGT Home theater at Tordesillas, Makati and bring your Panther line filter and using the Noise Sniffer, compare it with the Line Conditioner they have there.

click here to read user's testimonies on sonic improvements to their systems.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2006 at 11:32 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline jackdee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nh931yRQIM&feature
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM »
hey guys ask lang po, pwede po ba yung line bada line conditioner model lb3300 to 110v?