Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 365190 times)

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PS3 as a blu-ray player
« on: Nov 28, 2006 at 09:45 AM »
Last night was one of the best audio experiences of my life. DTS HD5.1 was the reason for this euphoria, The sheer power of the PS3 makes this possible. Stand alone Blu-ray players will not have this capability(yet).They will not decode Dolby trueHD and DTS HD. With hdmi 1.3, the bitstream of these lossless surround sound will be decoded by future receivers and preamps.

The sound was really magnificent, it just sounded right.  Placement ,positioning of the sound were dead on accurate. Even the subtle environmental effect was so good.

Can't write much right now, will follow up later.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2006 at 12:33 PM by alvinthx2 »
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 10:02 AM »
congrats alvin on your new toy..... :o :o :o    hoping to get one next year.... ::) ::)

Offline Kratos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 01:19 PM »
Sir is this connected via Optical out or thru HDMI?

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 07:16 AM »
HDMI :D With HDMI, the output will be LPCM(full bandwidth). With optical or coaxial, the signal is downgraded to ordinary DTS because of the bandwidth limitation of the latter inputs.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2006 at 07:42 AM by alvinthx2 »
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 08:12 AM »
What's your AV amp/receiver Alvinthx2?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 08:49 AM »
ill answer that for you....if you dont mind....his pre-pro is an anthem avm50.....tapos na ka classe power amps sya... :o :o

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 09:18 AM »
ill answer that for you....if you dont mind....his pre-pro is an anthem avm50.....tapos na ka classe power amps sya... :o :o

So I suppose that model is equipped with HDMI input?  Mga ilang daang libo??? he he he

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 09:53 AM »
yup with hdmi....anthem avm50 msrp $4700!!  :o :o 

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 10:17 AM »

Wow, I can buy a 52V top of the line full HD panel Sharp Aquos for that price to pair nicely with my HD-DVD drive.

Pede na muna for some years yung $550 kong Yamaha 757...he he he

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 02:16 PM »

Mukhang matagal tagal ko pa maeexperience yan DTS HD 5.1. hehehehe

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 11:15 PM »
Blu-Ray Player Shoot-out
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/1927/shootout-3-blu-ray-disc-players.html

Getting back to our trio of Blu-ray Disc players, my personal favorite was the PlayStation 3. This machine's picture and sound quality were nothing short of stunning, and its HDMI 1.3 connection and built-in Dolby TrueHD decoding give it a layer of future-proofing that the other players currently lack. I also appreciated its multichannel Super Audio CD playback and 60-GB hard disk for storing compressed music files. And even though I don't have much use for the PS3's gaming capabilities, I definitely got a kick out of Resistance: Fall of Man. The PS3's $600 price — several hundred less than the others — also goes a long way toward making it the Blu-ray Disc player of choice.

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 07:34 AM »
Blu-Ray Player Shoot-out
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/1927/shootout-3-blu-ray-disc-players.html

Getting back to our trio of Blu-ray Disc players, my personal favorite was the PlayStation 3. This machine's picture and sound quality were nothing short of stunning, and its HDMI 1.3 connection and built-in Dolby TrueHD decoding give it a layer of future-proofing that the other players currently lack. I also appreciated its multichannel Super Audio CD playback and 60-GB hard disk for storing compressed music files. And even though I don't have much use for the PS3's gaming capabilities, I definitely got a kick out of Resistance: Fall of Man. The PS3's $600 price — several hundred less than the others — also goes a long way toward making it the Blu-ray Disc player of choice.

Precisely the reasons why I got this player even at a premium. The Pioneer Elite model is at 1500 dollars and is way short of the capabilities of the PS3 in its Blu-ray playback alone. Libre na lang yung pagka game machine nya ;D

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 09:21 AM »
newbie question: whats the difference between the US version ps3 against the japan release? Can the US release games be played in the japanese console? vice versa?

thanks  ;)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 08:37 PM »
Yes, they will play with the Japanese version. They are both included in region A which includes Japan,USA  and the rest of Asia except China. The difference is basically the input voltage.

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 08:49 PM »
thanks alvinthx2, any idea why US versions are cheaper compared to the Japan release?
Pros and cons of buying either US or japan release.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2006 at 09:19 PM by skylynx888 »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2006 at 11:16 PM »
thanks alvinthx2, any idea why US versions are cheaper compared to the Japan release?
Pros and cons of buying either US or japan release.

You must be mistaken. 
The 20GB sells at 49,800 yen (if you can find one).  That's about $433
The 60GB sells at 59,800 yen (if you can find one).  That's about $520

Japan version is locked to Region 2 for DVD and NTSC-J for PS1 and PS2 games, if I'm not mistaken.  Warranty is probably honored only in the respective countries (unlike the Xbox360!)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 08:59 AM »
You must be mistaken. 
The 20GB sells at 49,800 yen (if you can find one).  That's about $433
The 60GB sells at 59,800 yen (if you can find one).  That's about $520

Japan version is locked to Region 2 for DVD and NTSC-J for PS1 and PS2 games, if I'm not mistaken.  Warranty is probably honored only in the respective countries (unlike the Xbox360!)

Ok, there is a price difference but the US version has a free blue-ray disc "Talladega nights". The Hong Kong version is 220 volts and cost around 3780 HK dollar (60g)

In terms of blu-ray playback (games and movies), there is no difference. The USA and Japan shares the same region A code. I did not specify that the Japan version is locked to region 2 DVD mainly because of the topic title.

I have watched 3 movies already on this machine, Kingdom of heaven, Tears of the Sun and House of flying daggers, all of which came from the USA and all of them played flawlessly.

At the start of the PS3 setup, there is a language selection, even games from Japan will be accessible via English language. Sony is said to have a production cost of 900 dollars for each PS3 ::)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 09:17 AM »
With respect to warranty. The Philippines is not even included in the PS3 list of countries for Asia which includes Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, and HK. It is really a risk that I am taking. At least the store in Greenhills gave me a 7 day return/6 month service warranty :D

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2006 at 07:09 AM »
oopps, maybe i was comparing our local price [p45000-p60000] with the US release  ;D ;D ;D. Thanks for the great info bro alvinthx2, ive been a playstation fan eversince, so this will definitely be on my buying list  :D :D

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2006 at 08:42 AM »
sir alvinthx2 , congrats.

what do you use as a remote to watch blu ray movies ?

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2006 at 08:56 AM »
Just the game controller, I think it uses Bluetooth technology therefore you dont have to point it at the console. When the dedicated remote for this unit will be available then I will surely get one

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2006 at 08:17 AM »
I was strolling around Shinjuku (somewhere south of the Keio Plaza Hotel) and I happened to pass by a typical electronic shop with lots of demo screens outside and even more people line up inside.  The demo was apparently the Sony PS3.  I went inside to be like my usual, curious self.  I asked how much one was, pointing to about a dozen of the PS3 units stacked in two heaps, one atop another.  After some brief Q & A's, I then proceeded to another shop to look/purchase a business suit, not having any idea that I was in the middle of history in the making.

After I was through with The Suit Company, I decided to inquire again about the PS3.  Lo and behold, they were gone!  I mean every single one of them!  According to the salesman, the 30 units arrived around 8 pm.  In less than an hour, it was sold out.  :(  I knew that that item was hot but I didn't know it was THAAAT hot.  ???

After sir alvinthx2's rave review (as well as that of S&V's, thanks for the link by the way), I then realized it was really crazy of me to let the opportunity pass.  :(  How could I have prioritized a business suit over a BD player?  I need to re-evaluate my values...tsk...tsk...tsk...  ;D  Now they don't know when the new units will arrive and I'm going home on Dec. 6.  Haaaay.... :(

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2006 at 07:51 AM »

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2006 at 09:27 PM »
sirs,
anong region ba dapat ang bibilhin kong blu-ray discs for the ps3 ?
how much is the average price of a Blu-Ray movie disc in Manila?
are the units for sale in Manila 220VAC or 110VAC ?

thanks in advance

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2006 at 08:12 AM »
Buy Region A (USA, Japan,Asia except China)
220 volts from Hong Kong, 100v Japan and 120v USA , all might be available from different sources but Japan model ang marami.

STD price of games are 3600 but sabi nila may bawas pa :D

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2006 at 08:21 AM »
thanks for the reply sir ...

any idea how much the Blu-Ray movies costs ? or if they are even already available in manila

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2006 at 08:36 AM »
Online blue ray movies costs between P1300 - P2000.00, depending on the titles
Ive seen in one of the computer shops here selling at p2200.00  ;)

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2006 at 03:46 PM »
ask ko lang po about ps3, can i use a lcd monitor for it. kasi medyo mahal ang 1080p na tv. wat kind of monitor should i look for? any pros and cons of doing this? tnx. baka me nakakaalam dito.

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2006 at 06:13 AM »
Yes, most LCD display are 1366x768 native anyway. The PS3 will determine which resolution is high enough for you to maximize your displays potential. Almost all LCD displays have HDMI inputs, use this instead of the other inputs to get your sets maximum PQ potential.

Offline AlvinladeN

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2006 at 11:15 AM »
what if i connect the ps3 to a lcd monitor w/ 1920x1200 native resolution using hdmi-dvi converter? can i get a full 1080p with it?