Author Topic: Tested Today...The new Sony X series LCD and the SXRD Vs. competition and  (Read 5493 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Visited the local sony shop and they had the new X series LCD.  I tested the 40 inch LCD  as well as the 50 and 60 inch  SXRD  rear projection...both are 1080P.  Will start of with rear projections reviews.  For picture quality..using a real DVD....(matrix movie and a pirated red hot chilli pepper concert)I rated the SXRD a very good 8.25 and for color we also rate it a 8.5.  Very good stuff.

Then went to Ansons...We then tested a toshiba 64 inch DLP rear projection (1080p)and it was pretty good......but rated a 7.25 for picture quality and color..    Also noticed too much pixelization.

Then we tested the newest JVC 56 inch rear projection (1080P) and this rated a 7.5 for picture quaity anda 7.5 for color.  The clear winner of this test for rear projection was the Sony SXRD.

We then tested the New X series LCD 1080P against the current standard (780P) sets of JVC...Aquos...toshiba.   

Toshiba..rated a 7.25
jvc rated a 7.5
aquos rated a 7.75

NOW>>>>>Checked out the new X series and it was lined up side by side  to all there current LCD....the V series.....the S series.  all were hooked up the same DVD player.  AND WE SET ALL THE TVS TO THE MIDDLE RANGE ON ALL SETTINGS TO 50.  When comparing the three........

S series rated a 8.0 for picture quality and a 8.25 for color  (189,000 peso)
V series rated a 8.25 for picture and a 8.25 for color  ( 219,000 peso)

and the x series  rated a 9.25 for picture quality (minimal pixelization) and a 9.0 for color.....(and this is on setting that we did not tweak ) (279.000 peso)

The X series was really a beautiful picture.....truly impressive.

Must say the LCD was looking smooth as silk. 

To me and  it was all to obvious that  the v sereis and s series displayed a pixelization in bright areas where the X series did not.

These opinions are based on using a standard DVD player and a standard DVD.  No doubt that when using a High Def dvd player  and then a high def DVD the results  the scoring gap for the testing of units would probably be wider??

Any you guys test the Sony series against each other?

Have you compared picture of new Sony SXRD to that of other brands like toshiba or others......

lets  hear your verdicts!!!!

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Toink

• Collector
  • Liked:
Im actually torn between the 50" sxrd and the 40" X Series. I guess i will test both on a xbox 360 before i purchase. What sony store were you able to test at?

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
I did the side by side comparison at Ansons in  Alabang Town center.  It is great...The 40 inch X series side by side with the 40 inch V series >the 40 inch S series and the 60 inch SXRD. It  is a real eye opener. 

Am on the brink of having a  X series tested on my sky platinum connection.  If it works will be buying one. Will keep you updated.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Toink

• Collector
  • Liked:
great keep us up to date. i might buy the 40" X series and the dvp-ns76h upscaling hdmi dvd player hopefully before the promo ends :)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Toink....wait for my go ahead. 

Where do you live?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Toink

• Collector
  • Liked:
bf pque

Offline swimstroke

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Pahingi naman ng details nung promo Toink. Thanks. :)

Offline Toink

• Collector
  • Liked:
www.sony.com.ph and click on the christmas treasures banner

Offline swimstroke

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Many thanks. :)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Today I have a scheduled  home demo (on my sky platinum) for the 40 inch V series and the 60 inch  SXRD.  My interest is not to buy the V series but as they have no X series in stock the V serves as a test substitute.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Shakobe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Can't wait for the feedback dannielsimone ;)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
 Re: Clarity of picture with Sky Platinum (Help)
« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:51:05 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK.....in a nutshell.  Had the 60 inch  SXRD on the floor and the 40 inch V series on the the table.  Had a great view of both sitting on my couch approximately 10 feet away. I was with my wife and the two installers (who had installed many a TV) and my electrician.   I fed the sky platinum signal in to both units using the standard RCA plugs.  The 40 inch LCD had a very clear picture with absolutely no snow or interference. Some channels looked better than others. The SXRD had a similar picture but was a shade or two  darker.  That is exactly what I hoped for!.   However the picture Quality was really strange.  Color contrast looked pretty good on close ups but became  Hazy when switching scenes or as the camera moved side to side.   Skin/flesh tones looked one dimensional with Very Little facial detail visible.  The news casters on CNN looked like manicans. Very Very weird.   Too me it was a bit disturbing.  Watched a basketball game and it looked good when the camera was taking a close up shot but when panning across the crowd or just viewing the game(half court view) as so you could see the whole squad interplay the picture got a little  fuzzy and most of the detail was lost.  In fact you could not even read the names on there jerseys. I Then watched Italian football on Star sports.  It was  worse than the basketball game.  Close up shots looked  good but when the camera panned across the field to, get "the big picture" a brutal ghosting or shadowing effect came in to play on every players bright jersey.   The ghosting was worse on the SXRD than on the LCD but was evident none the less.  Installer tried tweaking for about an hour but could do very little.  I found it hard to enjoy the game.  Now having said all that this review is just my opinion of a first watch on a HD using a SD signal...perhaps I need to get used to the colors and lack of detail.  It may have been just the shell shock of seeing my 29 inch wega sitting idle in the corner(LOL).

Pulled out the platinum box and viewed regular sky cable.  Snowy picture appeared but after fine tuning did not look terrible. Some channels looked real good. Shutting off the room lighting  helped a lot.  Saw full detail.  Color was back to normal.  Seemed to be a major relief for me.  Told my wife to put away the Valium.

Plugged in the 29 inch Wega and watchwed it next to the others.  On my scale of 1-10..(when viewing sky cable/platinum...the 29 inch being a 10 for clarity .. I rated the LCD a 8 and the SXRD a 7.5. 

FOLKS I WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO AGREE TO WATCH CABLE TV ON A REGULAR BASIS USING THESE DISPLAYS.  PICTURES WERE NOT AWFUL OR HORRIBLE...JUST NOT WHAT I AM USED TOO.

OK FOLKS....THIS IS WHERE IT STARTS TO GET INTERESTING.

INSTALLER PLUGS IN THE NEWEST TOSHIBA 1080P PLAYER.  BOURNE IDENTITY.  LOOKED REAL GOOD ON THE LCD.  BUT ON THE 60 INCH SXRD PICTURE WAS BRILLIANT.  I WAS BLOWN . AUDIO WAS PRETTY GOOD BUT NOT GREAT.  DEFINITELY GONNA NEED THE HT . 

TOLD THE INSTALLER TO PUT THE LCD BACK IN ITS BOX AND LETS REALLY SEE WHAT THE 60 INCH COULD DO (WITH MY LIMITED TECHNOLOGY).  I ALSO TOLD HIM TO PUT THE TOSHIBA IN ITS BOX AND WATCH ON A STANDARD DVD PLAYER.   MUST SAY I WAS BLOWN AWAY.  MY DVDS LOOKED INCREDIBLE.  MY VCDS LOOKED BETTER THAN EVER. THATS RIGHT FOLKS I REPEAT MY VCDS!!! THE COLOR ON THIS TV WAS INCREDIBLE.  THE BLACKS WERE REALLY BLACK.  SKIN TONE WAS PERFECT.  ABSOLUTELY NO GHOSTING  OR SHADOWS ON MATRIX, CONSTANTINE, LORD OF THE RINGS AND THE REST. and ANOTHER THING.....NO PIXELIZATION SIGHTINGS....AT ALL!. I REALLY WAS SO IMPRESSED WITH THIS SET AND IT WAS ALL USING STANDARD MATERIAL.  MY WIFE AND THREE KIDS DID NOT WANT TO END THE NIGHT.  I WILL RECOMMEND TO ALL TO TRY THIS ONE AND COMPARE IT TO ANY OTHER REAR PROJECTION ON THE MARKET.  YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED . 

NEEDLESS TO SAY.........THE TEST ENDED AND I NOW AM THE PROUD OWNER OF "THE ULTIMATE TV"!

OH YES...ALMOST FORGOT.....I GOT A GREAT DEAL FOR CASH.  AM LOVING LIFE!  AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE THE WHERE AND HOW MUCH WITH YOU. DROP ME AN EMAIL..IT IS ON MY PROFILE. 

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

http://www.sony.com.ph/wega/detail.asp?product_id=1463&cat_id=3&subcat_id=76&subcat2_id=0

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Shakobe

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Bro, sent you an email ;) ;D

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Sir,

Congats on the SXRD.

The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline boglers

• Collector
  • Liked:
Kaka-inggit!  :) I guess the 2.5ms response time helped you in selecting the SXRD...it minimizes the pixellations :) but this SXRD is slightly thicker than the LCD's and Plasmas right? comaprable to a samsung slimfit tv i guess...
Panasonic 42PV70H
ONKYO-505
Pio-DV600
Wharfs 9.1/DFS/CS
US A

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Boglers......the SXRD 60 INCH  REAR PROJECTION is about about 20 inches thick and the X series LCD  is about 4 1/2  inches thick.  NOT SURE ABOUT SAMSUNG SLIM FIT.

THE X SERIES HAS THE BEST PICTURE OF ANY LCD I HAVE SEEN AND THE SXRD HAS THE BEST PICTURE OF ANY REAR PROJECTION.  THE CHOICE AT FIRST WAS VERY DIFFICULT.  I CHOSE THE SXRD BECAUSE IT IS PROVIDING MUCH MORE SCREEN IN MY  BIG HT ROOM WHERE FAMILY  AND FRIENDS COULD MOST APPRECIATE IT.  THE 40 INCH UNIT JUST A WEEEEE BIT TO SMALL FOR MY HT. 

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline TSXdriver

• Apprentice
  • Noobie here on this forum but long time A/V freak
  • Liked:
Re: Clarity of picture with Sky Platinum (Help)
« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:51:05 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEEDLESS TO SAY.........THE TEST ENDED AND I NOW AM THE PROUD OWNER OF "THE ULTIMATE TV"!

OH YES...ALMOST FORGOT.....I GOT A GREAT DEAL FOR CASH.  AM LOVING LIFE!  AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE THE WHERE AND HOW MUCH WITH YOU. DROP ME AN EMAIL..IT IS ON MY PROFILE. 

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

http://www.sony.com.ph/wega/detail.asp?product_id=1463&cat_id=3&subcat_id=76&subcat2_id=0

Congrats on the purchase....the SXRD microdisplays are really nice I was torn between the SXRD and the Bravia and could have gone either way but in the end went with the Bravia LCD TV (KDL46XBR2) due to size and wall mountable.  I was surprise about the weight of the SXRD they are pretty light.  Well enjoy ur new Sony!!
Pinoy TSXdriver

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
tanong lang sir,

what store did you purchase it from ?
am surprised they allow you to demo the units at home.
baka pwede na ring humingi ng 30 days money back guarantee next time :)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
TSXdriver....You got the KDL46BXR2..that is the American model numbr for the SXRD rear projection?????

You got an LCD right?

You got me confused?  Where did you buy your unit and what is the accurate madel number.  Just wondering what the deal is. 

Enjoy the Sony.  They are great!
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline TSXdriver

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
TSXdriver....You got the KDL46BXR2..that is the American model numbr for the SXRD rear projection?????

You got an LCD right?

You got me confused?  Where did you buy your unit and what is the accurate madel number.  Just wondering what the deal is. 

Enjoy the Sony.  They are great!

Yes I have the Bravia LCD TV (KDL-46XBR2) bought it from an online Etailer (http://www.vanns.com/shop/index.jsp) 2 weeks ago.  The bravia line up are also offered in 52" in XBR2 and 3.  It is also offered as the lower end S and V series model.

The SXRD (microdisplay) model # line up are KDS-50A2000, 55A2000, 60A2000  and the higher end KDS-60XBR2 & 70XBR2.  All of these are assembled in Mexico.
Pinoy TSXdriver

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
So TSXdriver..you bought it in the states.   

How is the picture quality?

Are you happy with purchase?

Any negatives about it?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline TSXdriver

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
So TSXdriver..you bought it in the states.   

How is the picture quality?

Are you happy with purchase?

Any negatives about it?

PQ is outstanding.....HD sources was just awesome its like looking on a window.  SD sources not too bad either. I'm happy with the purchase, did a lot of research first before making the plunge.....visited a friend in Seattle 2 months ago and he had a 60" SXRD which I was blown away on the PQ of the TV.  I didn't buy the SXRD due to the size (width) of the chasis which wouldn't fit in my A/V entertainment center and changing the lamp after so many hours didn't favor me as well....plus Sony charge a fortune for the replaceable lamps.  The LCD has a lifespan of 80,000hrs according to Sony.  The only negative for the LCD is the high price associated with it...check this out the 52" (KDL-52XBR2) runs about $6,500.  I could have bought a plasma in the first place (Pioneer or Panasonic) but I was leery of the burn in issue.  Wish you have HD sources and get the full potential of ur TV, hopefully HDTV broadcast will come soon there in 'Pinas.
Pinoy TSXdriver

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
not bad, if the claim of 80,000 hours is true, that's about 9 years if used everyday for 24 hours, or in my case 27 years if used everyday for 8 hours..... i would be in my 60's by then hehehe.  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2006 at 12:54 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
OK....got my 60 inch SXRD at "sights and sounds" in Edsa Shangrila fourth floor.  It retails for 269,000 peso but using the voucher "program" they gave me an incredible deal ( a deal no one else could even come close to matching).  I am still smiling 10 days later.  Am thrilled at the PQ.

Today I demoed the JVC 70 inch Full HD (1080) as well as the new Samsung 66 inch(?) and it was pale in comparrison to the SXRD. 

Must say the 70 inch Hitatchi was better than than the JVC or Samsung but had to stand back about 15 feet.  It to simply was no match to the SXRD. 

I know I must sound like a cheer leader for Sony but I speak from the heart.  No games...No Bull.

If you are considering a Sony product get to "sights and sounds" and negotiate by making use of those X-mass voucher programs.  I dealt with Paul.  He is a pretty good fellow.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
I also received this 50k+ worth of discount voucher when I bought my
Sony LCD last October.

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
nels.....How did you use the vouchers?   Did you have to buy other products to make use of them.....or were they deducted from the price of your LCD?

And where did you buy it?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
I used the voucher to buy other Sony Items.
It was not deducted from the price of the LCD.

Offline iamlet

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
bro sent you an email too =)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!