Author Topic: Preacher: the TV series  (Read 10781 times)

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Preacher: the TV series
« on: Dec 06, 2006 at 07:51 AM »
When I was watching Carnivale, i saw elements that reminded me of Garth Ennis's masterpiece "Preacher". Now, HBO is apparently turning it into a miniseries. Preacher was full of sex, violence as well as being blasphemous. Let's see if they can retain the stories as promised.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2006/12/01/mark-steven-johnson-talks-preacher/

Mark Steven Johnson talks Preacher
IESB.net talks with Ghost Rider director Mark Steven Johnson about, well, Ghost Rider, mostly. But given Wednesday’s news, talk turns briefly to HBO’s planned Preacher series, for which Johnson will write the pilot and serve as an executive producer:

Johnson: Preacher I have always wanted to do. Preacher is like, you know, it’s the greatest but it’s so difficult. And I love it more than anybody and I remember reading a script a while ago it was gonna go to film and I was like, oh, how do you make a two-hour movie from Preacher? You can’t do it. So, when I went into HBO I said very simply, here’s the comic, there’s seventy-five issues plus the four-issue Saint of Killers, every issue in an hour. It’s a six-year show. And HBO, God bless them, went, cool!

IESB: So are you staying pretty loyal to the whole storyline?

Johnson: No, not loyal, exact. So it’s like, we had our first meeting the other day, I kept waiting for them to go, we’re not doing this! (laughing) It’s like, I want Odin Quincannon having sex with a meat person. (laughing) If I can do that, I’ve made my mark on the world. Everything is just like so out there, this is it. They’re like, f**kin’ HBO’s got balls, they were like, yeah bring it! Do it! ….

Johnson goes on to say that he’d like to have guest directors, such as Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez. “I want it to be a prestige thing, you love Preacher? Come do a show,” he says. “Usually it’s a guest actor, I want it to be guest director.”

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2006 at 07:52 AM by daigoro »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Preacher: the TV series
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2006 at 08:24 AM »
I hope Johnson delivers as promised and make an "exact" interpretation of the comicbook not only with the storyline but also with the whole feel of the series. Preacher is in my top three greatest comicbooks of all time.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2014 at 06:19 AM »
Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s Preacher Officially Heading to AMC!
Feb 6, 2014

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Vertigo comic book series "Preacher" is officially on its way to the small screen! AMC and Sony TV have today officially confirmed the news that broke last fall that sees This is the End co-writers and directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg executive producing the series. They will also provide the screenplay for the pilot.

"This is a great piece of material for AMC, and we're thrilled to begin working with the creative team behind it to make another iconic AMC series," said Joel Stillerman, AMC's EVP of original programming, production and digital content.

"This is amazing!" say Rogen and Goldberg. "We've tried for seven years to work on 'Preacher' and we're so psyched AMC is finally letting us. It is our favorite comic of all time, and we're going to do everything we can to do it right. Humperdoo!"

Garth Ennis said, "Steve Dillon and I are very happy to see 'Preacher' being developed for TV, which seems a much more natural home for the story than a 2-hour movie. Between them, Sony TV and AMC have brought viewers two of my favorite shows with 'Breaking Bad' and 'Mad Men,' and it's exactly that kind of creative commitment and courage that 'Preacher' needs. Obviously it's taken a while, but Ken Levin along with Neal Moritz and his team refused to give up, long after the point when I myself grew skeptical, and their unrelenting enthusiasm for the project has gotten us where we need to be. I'm particularly impressed that Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin understand 'Preacher' fully — meaning they get it for what it is, not some vague approximation. All in all, it looks like 'Preacher' can now be brought to TV in a way that I'd previously not have thought possible, and I very much appreciate that Steve and I have been included in the conversation in the way that we have."

Full article:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/290467-garth-ennis-and-steve-dillons-preacher-officially-heading-to-amc

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2014 at 11:46 AM »
numerous tv series have already tackled similar controversial elements of this series (the Borgias, True Blood, Carnivale, Supernatural, etc) except for the portrayal of a very human God in this series. I'm wondering how they will handle that. Anyway, I can understand how this series can now be considered as can't miss material. it has everything that a modern fantasy series wants to have.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2014 at 11:56 AM by daigoro »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Preacher
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015 at 04:28 AM »
From ComingSoon.Net

Production Begins on AMC’s Preacher Pilot
May 13, 2015

This is The End and The Interview‘s Seth Rogen has taken to Twitter to reveal that production has officially begun on the pilot episode of AMC’s adaptation of “Preacher.” Rogen will co-direct the episode with partner Evan Goldberg, which will also see legendary cinematographer Bill Pope (The Matrix, Spider-Man 2, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) as the DP. Check out the slate for the series below!

“Preacher,” published between 1995 and 2000, tells the story of Custer, a small town Texas preacher who, nearly at his faith’s end, finds himself merged with a supernatural entity, Genesis, birthed from both an angel and a demon. Imbued with the word of God (the ability to make anyone obey his commands), Jesse hits the road, reunited with his ex-girlfriend, Tulip, and joined by a rowdy Irish vampire, Cassidy, to track down God himself and force him to explain why he abandoned his duties in Heaven.

Dominic Cooper leads the cast that also includes Joseph Gilgun as the vampire Cassidy, Ruth Negga as his gun-toting ex-girlfriend Tulip, Ian Colletti as the kindhearted yet startling Arseface, W. Earl Brown as his father Sheriff Hugo Root, Lucy Griffiths as Emily Woodrow, an original character in the series and love interest of Jesse’s, and Elizabeth Perkins as Vyla Quinncannon, the owner of the local slaughterhouse and a semi-original character.

A Sony Pictures Television and AMC Studios co-production, “Preacher” will be produced by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen through their Point Grey banner, along with Neal Moritz’s Original Film. The pilot was written by Sam Catlin who will serve as the showrunner. Though unconfirmed, the series is aiming for a 2016 premiere.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: Preacher
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015 at 11:01 PM »
Interesting that they cast both Cooper and Negga, who are both romantically involved in real life, and also both recurring characters in Marvel TV shows; I guess Howard Stark and Raina won't be appearing as much in Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. next season.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2015 at 08:26 AM »
AMC has confirmed they’ve ordered Preacher to series, with the first season being composed of ten episodes. The series will premiere in 2016 on the network.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2015 at 09:59 AM »
Seth Rogen Talks Adapting Preacher for Television with Potential Changes
October 7, 2015

Speaking with CraveOnline, Rogen talked about the process of adapting the controversial and very graphic series for TV, saying they want to keep fans of the comic guessing about some elements.

“We are changing the specifics of how the narrative is unfolding. A lot of the building blocks we are not changing, a lot of characters we’re keeping, but we want to make a show that if you’re a fan of the comic, you don’t know what to expect. And we have no interest honestly in just doing a literal page-to-page adaptation. It just seems like the most boring creative endeavor one could go on!”

Rogen went on to say they intend to address the various mini-series spin-offs of the main Preacher title, most of which focused on back stories of specific characters.

“I mean there’s some things that even Garth will argue, is quick to admit that we probably should not even attempt to put on television. There’s some characters, we’re talking about maybe we combine these two into one person. But to us the tangential element is one of our favorite things. The fact that it does go off into these other worlds and explore these other characters, I mean that’s something that we wholeheartedly intend on indulging in because it’s one of the best parts about the comic. Just the massive tapestry of f***ing weirdos. [Laughs.]”

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/620541-seth-rogen-talks-adapting-preacher-for-television-with-potential-changes#/slide/1

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2015 at 12:30 PM »

Offline dibidi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2015 at 06:50 AM »
better be reading the comics. that is a nice brutal tease of this series.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 06:57 AM »
AMC's 'Preacher' Enlists Jackie Earle Haley as Key Comics Character
February 9, 2016

AMC's Preacher adaptation has enlisted Oscar nominee Jackie Earle Haley to play an iconic character from the graphic novel.

Haley has been tapped for a six-episode arc on the upcoming AMC drama, where he will portray the iconic character of Odin Quincannon, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Haley's Odin is described as a small, decrepit man with the unscrupulous iron will necessary to be the most powerful man in Annville County, Texas. The chief employer in town, Odin runs Quincannon Meat & Power, a 125-year-old family run cattle slaughterhouse business.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/preacher-jackie-earle-haley-play-863139

Offline deweyfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 01:50 PM »
AMC's 'Preacher' Enlists Jackie Earle Haley as Key Comics Character
February 9, 2016

AMC's Preacher adaptation has enlisted Oscar nominee Jackie Earle Haley to play an iconic character from the graphic novel.

Haley has been tapped for a six-episode arc on the upcoming AMC drama, where he will portray the iconic character of Odin Quincannon, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Haley's Odin is described as a small, decrepit man with the unscrupulous iron will necessary to be the most powerful man in Annville County, Texas. The chief employer in town, Odin runs Quincannon Meat & Power, a 125-year-old family run cattle slaughterhouse business.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/preacher-jackie-earle-haley-play-863139

How iconic?  As they say it in Tagalog, baboy na nga, binababoy pa.

Read between the lines (especially if you have perused the Preacher comic books)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016 at 01:51 PM by deweyfinn »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2016 at 07:17 AM »
AMC announced from the SXSW Festival that Preacher will premiere Sunday, May 22nd at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT following the mid-season finale of Fear the Walking Dead.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016 at 06:17 AM »
Preacher posters paying homage to the Glenn Fabry covers of the cult comic book:

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016 at 08:31 AM »
Episode 1 now out....

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016 at 09:51 PM »
Is this any good?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016 at 09:05 AM »
Haven't viewed this yet pero para saan yung meter?

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM »
Is this any good?

Yes it is ... except that AMC made a weird decision to air the pilot on 2 consecutive weeks, so the 2nd episode will be aired on June 5.

The pilot is a slow burn, mainly introducing each of the lead characters (Jesse, Cassidy, Tulip) and setting up the plot that brings them all together.

Offline Ashburndaride

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2016 at 10:14 PM »
I liked this better than Outcast.

Online jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1202
« Reply #19 on: Jun 05, 2016 at 07:13 PM »
The pilot is intriguing to say the least.  I haven't read the graphic novels, so I really don't know what to expect.  I think I'll catch the next few episodes to find out more.

Offline prototypeone

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hory sheet.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2016 at 07:24 PM »
For the people who read the graphic novel, is this a good watch if I haven't read the novel?
Say hello to my little friend!

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 06, 2016 at 05:16 PM »
That was hilarious!!!

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2016 at 04:47 PM »
For the people who read the graphic novel, is this a good watch if I haven't read the novel?
Yup!

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2016 at 06:15 PM »
It's always better if you don't read the source material. Most people seem to have a hard time viewing a movie/TV show and judging it on its own right and merits.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2016 at 06:35 AM »
AMC has officially announced that their new series Preacher has been renewed for a second season. The next installment of the series will expand its run to 13 episodes and is set to air next year.

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 02, 2016 at 09:02 PM »
How can they make a mouth look like the end of a hotdog?

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2016 at 08:17 AM »
Tawang tawa ako doon sa carnage.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #27 on: Jul 08, 2016 at 10:07 AM »
me sex and nudity ba ito?
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline coastal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 08, 2016 at 10:23 AM »
May car sex pero hindi nude.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #29 on: Jul 08, 2016 at 10:24 AM »
May car sex pero hindi nude.

ok sir. parang quantico pala  >:D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)