Author Topic: Usher Speakers  (Read 46787 times)

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Usher Speakers
« Reply #360 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 09:06 AM »
same with levi.

how about Citibank or AIG?

my application (online) for BPI is still in-process.

sana nga pede ibang cards. ang baba kc ng credit limit ng bpi ko >:(

Offline odyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #361 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 09:17 AM »
or baka pwede naman 12 months...

calling epoy   

==============================================================
hahaha pag nagkataon ubos item ng AA,..

oo nga.  mas ok yun para sa AA   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2005 at 09:20 AM by odyo »

Offline mcbry

• DVD Addict
  • TRuSt YoUr eArS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 09:25 AM »
sana nga pwede other cards  :)

pwede ba?  ???  ;D

Offline Compaq

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 09:41 AM »
or baka pwede naman 12 months...

calling epoy   

==============================================================
hahaha pag nagkataon ubos item ng AA,..

sama ko dyan' pag 12 months  ;D

Cheers!!!
Compaq

Offline ArchitecturalAudio

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 07:44 PM »
Pag-aaralan po namin   8) 8) 8)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Apr 03, 2005 at 12:16 PM »
sana nga pede ibang cards. ang baba kc ng credit limit ng bpi ko >:(

OT.  Yan ang hirap sa mga local banks gaya ng BPI, Equitable,  RCBC at Bankard.  Unike Standard and HSBC  First time  nila mag-issyu ng card to me 100T agad ang credit limit  Yung mga local banks, kuripot.   ;D

Offline zap|JDM

• Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Apr 17, 2005 at 09:50 AM »
I agree.  :)

wats the srp of the x-719 now?
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Apr 17, 2005 at 11:18 AM »
still the same, 39,000 for the pair.  we also have a used pair, in walnut finish.  hardly used.  selling is 32k only.

cheers  ;D ;D ;D

I agree.  :)

wats the srp of the x-719 now?

Offline zap|JDM

• Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Apr 17, 2005 at 11:21 AM »
tnx for the quick reply AA. :)
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Apr 17, 2005 at 08:57 PM »
no problem sir :-)

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: May 24, 2005 at 12:07 AM »
USHER CP-6381

".....they sounded absolutely superb, among the best to ever grace that room."

".....for the high level of fit and finish as well as their unflappable musicality and unusually high degree of panache, they are both a stone-cold bargain and my first recommendation for a Blue Moon Award of 2005."

Jon Potis, 6moons.com

Click here for the complete review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usher/6381.html

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #371 on: Dec 11, 2005 at 09:35 AM »
im impressed from the sound of the S520 (?)  when paired with my Cayin TA30 at yesterday's shootout/Christmas/tube Session party... it brought out the animal in these small speakers...never thought it would sound that way - smooth, clear his and mids, and tight/focus bass - after hearing several negative feedback of the speakers in the past.  proper matching lang talaga.
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Dec 20, 2005 at 09:27 PM »
New age,

Was able to home audition Chief Akyat S-520 and talaga ibang iba na sya from the first time we heard it sa condo.. ;D ;D ;D

a little review of stereophile.
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1205usher/
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2005 at 09:30 PM by hans adriane »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Dec 21, 2005 at 03:58 PM »
i almost gave up on these little ones coz they didn't match well with my 10watt amp..... of course i didn't know that up until the 8th month when we borrowed rene's wonderful Labrador amp, and later confirmed it with jetok's supertweaked AMX amp..... it turns out that these speakers don't like to be starved with little juice, and they don't like to be played quietly, which was how i've been using them up to that time...... once you reach the right volume level on a well-made 6L6 or EL34 push-pull amp, this speaker is full of surprises.

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #374 on: Dec 21, 2005 at 07:39 PM »
i agree akyatbundok!

That's why i bumped this thread to ressurrect as i believe on its potential when we paired it with the Cayin TA30...never thought it would sound that way...and to think  we were only at 9:00 volume level then!  Sounded decent to me.
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Dec 21, 2005 at 08:06 PM »
This confirms it from Stereophile.com.

Usher Audio Technology S-520 loudspeaker

Robert J. Reina, December, 2005

The last few years at our annual Home Entertainment Show, many readers have come up to me and asked: "How do you select which speakers to review?" In my case, most candidates are either new products that have impressed me when demonstrated at our HE Shows, or new products from manufacturers whose designs have impressed me in the past. Occasionally, editor John Atkinson gets wind of a speaker and asks if I'd like to review it. But once in a while, a manufacturer reads a rave review of a competing product that makes his or her blood boil.

That's what happened with Usher Audio Technology's S-520 bookshelf speaker. Earlier this year I received an e-mail from Stan Tracht, of Thee High End, Usher's US distributor: "I read your review of the Epos M5 in [the April 2005 issue] Stereophile. I concur, the Epos is a good little speaker. However, Usher makes a little monitor, the S-520, that is beyond belief in terms of performance, construction, quality, and price. The Usher S-520s are selling as fast as we can import them. Retail price is $375–$400, depending upon finish." As I had enjoyed reviewing the S-520's bigger brother, the Compass X-719, for the May 2004 Stereophile, I thought I'd give this little new guy a whirl.

A marriage of Chinese and American design
The S-520 is the entry-level two-channel bookshelf speaker from Usher Audio Technology, a Taiwanese company that manufactures more than two dozen two-channel speakers (not counting their home-theater models), all designed by Dr. Joseph D'Appolito in the US and, in Taiwan, Usher's Tsai Lien-Shui. The two-way, front-ported S-520 has a 1" silk-dome tweeter and a 5" polypropylene mid-bass cone. It also employs a proprietary technology that Usher calls Symme-Motion, which consists of several magnetic and moving systems designed to ensure that the diaphragm's forward and backward motions are symmetrical. The suspension system of driver surround and spider, as well as such construction details as how the glue is applied, are all part of the Symme-Motion approach. The crossover uses low-loss, audiophile-grade polypropylene capacitors and air-core inductors, as well as internal wiring of high-purity OFC. The crossover itself is a low-loss, low-phase-shift circuit said to be highly efficient.

The smallish S-520 is available in a standard birch finish; matte black or glossy black or white finishes cost $25/pair extra. I was a bit partial to the glossy white samples I received, though they made me hungry. They reminded me of Eskimo Pies with the chocolate coatings removed—a compliment.

Set-up
As usual, I auditioned the Ushers on my Celestion Si stands, loaded with sand and lead shot. I always listen to speakers with their grilles (if any) both on and off, and ask the manufacturer or distributor what they recommend. Stan Tracht was adamant: The S-520s must be listened to with their grilles off, otherwise there would be measurable and audible diffraction problems.

Usually, removing a speaker's grille results in slightly more detail; sometimes there's also a slight shift in tonal balance, with more emphasis on the high frequencies. Still, I wasn't prepared for what happened when I removed the S-520s' grilles. The highs became sweeter, more laid-back and natural, and the aural images were much more coherent. I don't understand how removing the grilles could make such a difference; perhaps JA's measurements will reveal something. In any event, I agreed with Tracht; the S-520s' grilles remained off for the balance of my listening sessions.

Listening
I was immediately taken by the Usher S-520's midrange and high-frequency resolution. The sound was detailed and natural throughout the midrange, with a degree of low-level dynamic articulation unusually realistic for such a low-priced speaker. The highs were also detailed and uncolored, though I noticed a slight highlighting of the lower highs (2—4kHz)with certain recordings. This could by no means be called "brightness" or "hardness," but when listening to recordings with significant energy in this region, I found it easy to follow instrumental details in this range. Although the highs were extended, I also noticed that the Usher didn't retrieve as much top-octave "air" or room ambience as I've heard other speakers do. At no time, however, did the S-520 sound dark or "hooded."

Every recording of the female voice sounded extraordinary through the Usher. Cassandra Wilson's New Moon Daughter (2 LPs, Blue Note 8 37183 1) was supple and seductive. On "Hey, Sweet Man," from Madeline Peyroux's Dreamland (CD, Atlantic 82946-2), her voice was rich, silky, and holographic. Mark Ribot's dobro exhibited perfectly natural transients and excellent low-level dynamic articulation, though the sliding of his fingers on the strings (round-wound, I presume) was a touch highlighted.

The S-520 was a particularly natural reproducer of percussion. Steve Nelson's vibes solo on "The Mooche," from the Jerome Harris Quintet's contribution to John Atkinson's Editor's Choice (CD, Stereophile STPH016-2), was natural, detailed and uncolored. I was mesmerized by Jack DeJohnette's delicate hi-hat and ride-cymbal work on "Melting," from Bill Connors' Of Mist and Melting (LP, ECM 1-1120)—the only recorded pairing, I think, of my favorite guitarist and favorite drummer. Moreover, on this track, Jan Garbarek's alto sax was "floating, rich, and detailed," according to my listening notes. For some free-jazz improvisation I turned to the Tertiary Trio's Title Goes Here (CD, Rent Controlled RCRCD 009) and found myself fixated on the delicate, rolling groove drummer Paul Corio sets up on "Brushes with Death."

The little S-520's bass response was quite interesting. The midbass was very neutral, but seemed a tad warm with certain recordings. Ray Brown's double-bass solo on "I'm an Old Cowhand," from Sonny Rollins' Way Out West (CD, JVC VICJ 60083), sounded as natural as any bass solo on any jazz recording I've heard. And I'm curious to hear what JA concludes about the Usher's low-bass extension. With most recordings, the S-520 didn't call attention to its low-bass capabilities (or lack of them). However, whenever an instrument with considerable low-bass energy appeared, the Usher surprised me with its realism, especially with classical music. My notes are filled with such comments as "Wow, nice timpani!" and "Bass drum very realistic but not quite room-shaking."

The Usher's impressive bass was not limited to classical recordings, however. I cranked up the volume on "Dazed and Confused," from Classic Records' vinyl edition of Led Zeppelin's eponymous first album (Atlantic/Classic SD 19126). John Paul Jones' bass blasts were "perfect," according to my notes. Continuing to test the S-520's ability to realistically render rock music, I cranked the volume higher for Ultra High Frequency's Sun Never Sets in Dramaville (CD, Mugshot MUG 0001) and noted that the Usher could party loud—no matter how loud the guitars thrashed, the vocals were detailed and natural.

My most memorable experience with the Usher S-520 was with Kraftwerk's new live album, Minimum Maximum (CD, EMI ASW 60611 26). I inserted the CD, turned up the Creek 5350SE integrated amp to "11" (I'd guess about 98dB), and stood unable to move, transfixed by the opening strains of "Mensch Machine," which has very deep electronic bass and intricate dynamics. Chills ran through my body as I was transported back to the Kraftwerk concert I'd seen earlier in the summer, which the band had opened with this very tune (footnote 1).

The only aspect of the Usher that approached a coloration was that, whenever I loudly played any passage with highly modulated upper-midrange and lower-high-frequency energy, the sound had a slightly forward tenseness. This occurred during the fortissimo tuttis of Stravinsky's The Firebird, as performed by Antal Dorati and the London Symphony (CD, Mercury Living Presence/Classic 90226), as well as during the bombastic bridge of Aimee Mann's "How Am I Different?," from Bachelor No. 2 or The Last Remains of the Dodo (CD, Super Ego SE 002). However, at no time was there any sense of strain, coagulation, or compression during these passages—rather, it was just a temporary shift in tonal balance.

Comparisons
I compared the Usher S-520 ($375/pair) with the Infinity Primus 150 ($198/pair), the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 ($350/pair), and the Epos ELS 3 ($350/pair). (Although my Epos M5 review inspired this one, I felt it fairer to compare the Usher S-520 with the Epos ELS 3, which is much closer in price.)

The Infinity Primus 150 was warmer and more romantic than the Usher, with equally excellent low-level dynamic articulation. However, the Infinity's bass did not go as deep, and its high-level dynamics were inferior, compressing a bit during very loud passages. The Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 was more detailed in the midrange, with more delicate and sophisticated high frequencies. Overall, the Wharfedale's dynamic performance was equal to the Usher's, but its mid and upper bass were warmer and thicker.

The Epos ELS 3 was more detailed and delicate in the midrange and highs than the Usher S-520, and far better at revealing ambience and hall sound. The Epos's midbass was clean and articulate and slightly less warm than the Usher's, though about as extended. The Epos compressed a bit on high-level dynamic passages; the Usher did not.

Payoff
I'm glad I had a chance to experience Usher Audio Technology's S-520. Over a wide range of music, the Usher S-520 satisfied me during the many weeks it visited my system, and I found its modern white cabinet attractive. The Usher S-520 is an excellent value with many strengths and negligible shortcomings, and should find a home in many an affordable system. Thanks for giving me the heads up on this one, Stan.

Offline vvt-i

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Dec 21, 2005 at 08:08 PM »
i almost gave up on these little ones coz they didn't match well with my 10watt amp..... of course i didn't know that up until the 8th month when we borrowed rene's wonderful Labrador amp, and later confirmed it with jetok's supertweaked AMX amp..... it turns out that these speakers don't like to be starved with little juice, and they don't like to be played quietly, which was how i've been using them up to that time...... once you reach the right volume level on a well-made 6L6 or EL34 push-pull amp, this speaker is full of surprises.

akyat,

instead na FOR sale naging FOR keeps.  ;D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: Dec 21, 2005 at 08:18 PM »
akyat,

instead na FOR sale naging FOR keeps.  ;D

Muntik ng maging akin yan.. ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2005 at 06:51 AM by hans adriane »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 06:53 AM »
i agree akyatbundok!

That's why i bumped this thread to ressurrect as i believe on its potential when we paired it with the Cayin TA30...never thought it would sound that way...and to think  we were only at 9:00 volume level then!  Sounded decent to me.

OO nga good match sila ng TA30 mo..

Chief Akyat,

Dapat talaga around 25 to 30watts para mas open yan. ;D ;D ;D

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 01:09 PM »
USHER V9803
Sale: Cash Price of only 11,500!!!![/b]

Offline ndy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • [OIIIIIIIO]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #380 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 01:32 PM »

Comparisons
I compared the Usher S-520 ($375/pair) with the Infinity Primus 150 ($198/pair), the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 ($350/pair), and the Epos ELS 3 ($350/pair). (Although my Epos M5 review inspired this one, I felt it fairer to compare the Usher S-520 with the Epos ELS 3, which is much closer in price.)

ot tama ba price ng wharfe na to? it's to high buti na lang pala nasa pinas ako. ;D
jeep[____]
l--l---0lllllll0-
0_)-0_)--o-)_)

Marantz SR7011
Cambridge Audio CXA61
Wharfedale's
SVS

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 01:42 PM »
Comparisons

ot tama ba price ng wharfe na to? it's to high buti na lang pala nasa pinas ako. ;D

What was the verdict?
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 10:24 PM »
USHER V9803
Sale: Cash Price of only 11,500!!!![/b]

Offline kupstah

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Jul 18, 2006 at 02:20 AM »
I'm thinking of getting either the NAD C320BEE or a C352 for my Usher V9803's.  Do you guys think the C320 will be up to the task?

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Jul 18, 2006 at 11:24 PM »
The Usher V-series are not hard to drive speakers, so we think a 50watter NAD should suffice nicely :)

I'm thinking of getting either the NAD C320BEE or a C352 for my Usher V9803's.  Do you guys think the C320 will be up to the task?

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Cranking up the Ushers subwoofers
« Reply #385 on: Dec 12, 2006 at 06:33 AM »
A couple of days ago, I was listening last night to Eagles Live version of Hotel California, the overblown percussion had a good beat, I decided to crank the volume, I had a good chest massage, courtesy of a 12 inch subwoofer, a little bit more the volume ... even better.. I added more bass and adjusted the tone controls… NOW WERE TALKING CHEST POUNDING!!!, I was curious how the 12 inch woofer were moving, I went over and touched them, the were barely moving AAHHHHRRRGGGGGGG !!!,… naka off pala ang sub !!!... WOW !!!! all that bass from a pair  of  7 inch woofer from the Usher X-719

Offline bassman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #386 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 08:03 PM »
Anyone tried the BE-718 or little dancer of Usher?

Share naman dyan!
Rotel RCD1072 RC1070, RB1070 Sonus Faber Concerto, Velodyne DD12

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #388 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
Can somebody please post the prices of the entry- and mid-level range of Usher speakers?

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #389 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 11:19 AM »
Can somebody please post the prices of the entry- and mid-level range of Usher speakers?

chief, try sending a PM to Architectural Audio.  they bring these babies in.  cheers!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp