Author Topic: Recommend a good 2-way x-over network and 6.5" woofer  (Read 603 times)

Offline sansui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recommend a good 2-way x-over network and 6.5" woofer
« on: Dec 13, 2006 at 09:28 PM »
Hi! I'm a newbie here. Please help me assemble a simple 2-way stereo speaker set-up using a ported box.  I need your expertise and actual experience to help me choose in buying a good, locally available 2-way x-over network and a 6.5" woofer.  These  components will be paired with a metal dome tweeter (8 ohms). Thanks in advance.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Recommend a good 2-way x-over network and 6.5" woofer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2006 at 12:23 PM »
Hi Sansui, welcome to this forum.  Are you building your speakers using a proven kit design downloadable form many DIY site or your own design? 

Offline sansui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Recommend a good 2-way x-over network and 6.5" woofer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2006 at 12:06 AM »
I am actually trying to improve on a china made stereo speakers I bought a year ago.  The baffles are good (rigid and well-made), however, the x-over and woofer are really bad.  I replaced the paper cone tweeter with a metal dome the same time I bought it a year ago.  By the way, I replaced the x-over network just this afternoon.  I used a 2 way x-over from Crown (China) and I am happy to say that it sounded a lot smoother and sweeter after that.  What concerns me now is the 6.5" woofer which are hardly making that "bass" sound.  I owned speakers with tinier woofers that made better bass sounds.  The present woofer makes very little cone excursions (as if they are too stiff and rigid).  Any suggestion for a replacement woofer (locally available please).  I once assembled a tapered pipe speaker system using Magus brand woofers (6.5") whose cone material resembles that of kevlar and it sounded really good (loud, soft, extended bass). They are no longer available.  Any suggestions for a good woofer?