Author Topic: Help Please....Paradigm performance series.....any users out there?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Demoed it today and it certainly was  sweet! :)

All the reviews seem to be spectacular.  Are these for real?  What have you heard?

phantom fronts...32,500 pair
center-CC270.....15,400
surround ADP170 ...27,000 pair
Sub pdr-10.......22,000

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/PReviews/Paradigm/AudioRevolution/AudRev_Phtm_ADP170_PS.pdf

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/PReviews/Paradigm/AudioIdeasGuide/AIG_PhantomNew.pdf

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/PReviews/Paradigm/HiFiMusicMagazine/HFM_Phantom.pdf
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline brandon

• Collector
  • Liked:
Speakers to consider if you like the 'Paradigm' sound:

1. B&W
2. Wharfedale

Both brands sound similar to Paradigms - Forward sounding with
vocals being projected out in front of you.  They differ in the degree
of bass reproduction and treble bite as well as how well they resolve
fine detail in music.

You may wish to consider all three brands (Paradigm, B&W, Wharfedale)
in your further auditions.  Bring CD's with you which represent your typical music
collection and use them to test similar speaker offers from all these brands.

All things equal, for the same product segment, price wise, Paradigms
are the most expensive, followed by B&W then Wharfedale.

Do audition all three.  They are similar sounding but not exactly alike.
It will be their unique peculiarities that will help you 'fine tune' and 'decide'
exactly which 'forward' sound you like.

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:

Just to let you know......visited "listtening in style"  at edsa shang yesterday.  After mentioning a budget of 100,000 was advised they had one floor stander which would suite my needs to a tee.  They recommended the "Definitive" series 7.1

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powertower/powertower.html

Overall the system did cranck it out.  Not bad.  A Bit rough around the edges at times. Sub woofer (super cube 2 ) seemed to be too much $$$ at about 40,000. ....and not enough low end.
Total cost of 7.1 was about 142,000 peso.  When  subtituting the sub for a velodyne it becomes a better deal.

Then went to "Sights and sounds" and checked out the wharfs diamond 9.6 for about 18,000 pair.  Surrounds were also Wharfs and it in my opinion was similiar to the definitive sound.  Do not remember the sub.  Good speaker for the money no doubt.  Loud and powerful. Lacking in sutlties in some respect and the surrounds were not as good as I hoped.  But over all....not bad.   Very good value for the money!!

Then tried the paradigm performance series.  The entry level phantom series.This was by far a superior sounding system.  The surrounds (wharfs)however were not changed as they did not have the ADP 170 in stock. ( That was the weakest part of the system). The sub was a killer PS1200.  Excellent sub but for the money 38,500 would settle for the paradigm PDR12 for 29,000 or better yet the Velodyne cht-12.

This was much nicer sounding thean either the wharfs or the definitive,,,,,,,and only a litle more expensive.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/PReviews/Paradigm/HomeTheater%26Sound/HT%26S_Phantom_CC270_ADP170_.pdf

Then swithed towers to the paradigm monitor 7 series ( well over my budget of about 140,000 )using the Sub of the PDR-12.   It really performed well.  A truly lovely setup.  Sub was real good although not as mega as the PS1200 but none the less better than the definitive sub and the warf. centr was the CC 270 and the surround should have been the ADP 170...but was still the wharfs. 

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeries/MonitorSpecs.htm

Next on the list will be the Mordaunt-short and perhaps the B&W 600 series. 

The system I am looking for is for 75%  HT and 25% music.  I was told that B&W is more for music rather than HT...Is that true?

Have a great day.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:

All things equal, for the same product segment, price wise, Paradigms
are the most expensive, followed by B&W then Wharfedale.

Do audition all three.  They are similar sounding but not exactly alike.
It will be their unique peculiarities that will help you 'fine tune' and 'decide'
exactly which 'forward' sound you like.

I tend to agree.  An checking online prices, it was interesting to note that the Paradigm Monitor series belong in the same price range as the Wharfedale Diamond, in the less than $1000 range, specifically $700-$800.  In some cites, the monitor 7 was cheaper than a similarly configured diamond 9.5.  I would think then that the accident of smaller markets, local dealer mark-ups and different importation sourcing could account for the higher local prices of the Paradigm monitor.    Speakers in the same price range can sound close but still different from each other.  Your personal taste will decide which different sounding speaker suits you best.  I just hope people don't get influenced by the power of suggestion of pricier models which can psychologically influence the ears to say they are better.  They're just different-sounding.  Local pricing differences is a poor indicator as such.  ;D  Just my thoughts.

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
>I tend to agree.  An checking online prices, it was interesting to note that the Paradigm Monitor series belong in the same price range as the Wharfedale Diamond, in the less than $1000 range, specifically $700-$800.  In some cites, the monitor 7 was cheaper than a similarly configured diamond 9.5.  I would think then that the accident of smaller markets, local dealer mark-ups and different importation sourcing could account for the higher local prices of the Paradigm monitor.    Speakers in the same price range can sound close but still different from each other.  Your personal taste will decide which different sounding speaker suits you best.  I just hope people don't get influenced by the power of suggestion of pricier models which can psychologically influence the ears to say they are better.  They're just different-sounding.  Local pricing differences is a poor indicator as such.    Just my thoughts.<

No doubt that price can effect judgment when comparing demos but  having said that I did not tell my wife any prices as we listened.  My wife noticed a big difference between the Wharfs and the Paradigms instantly. And again a noticeable difference between paradigms phantom and monitor 7 instantly as well. 
Am looking forward to hearing the B&W 600 series and the Mordaunt-short floor standers.

Any other floorstanders I should audition in the price range of between 20,000 to 40,000 per pair?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
That is not entirely surprising.  The Paradigm monitors use metal domes and metalized drivers that accdg to many pundits provide a more acurate detailing than fabric drivers with all things equal. Ofcourse a lot of debates attend these thngs but I personally prefer metal drivers myself.   And if I look at their specsheets, the Monitors are 3db higher than a comparable Diamond 9. They should sound louder for the same input power.  So I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be an impression they sound better.  This just shows that without the power of suggestion influencing judgement,  the perception of better quality has no relation to price tags.  A cheaper speaker can sound dominantly superior to another costing more.  That may be the case with Paradigm Phantoms which are cheaper than diamonds on the net.  I just find it odd that these models cost more than the wharfe diamond 9 series  locally.   Well, it may also be that the diamonds are priced really low below their $ equivalent on the net. ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006 at 07:24 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Well......In years past Wharfs were all made in athe UK ?  And now the cheaper diamond 9 series and most of wharf products are made in China.  This may be why a discrepancy in price tags can be found based on when and where manufactured? 

Paradigm products are all imports frpm Canada and that may explain why it is more costly to aquire in the local market?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
That could account for the price discrepancies locally. But that won't account for the prices online would it?   Why are those CHINA-made wharfes the same as or higher than Canada-made paradigms online?  In the case of UK online shops, could it be the import cost from CHina is higher than the import cost from Canada or US? 

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Well....am grabbing straws here but....NAFTA trade agreement may have a smaller TAX for imports from Canada as it  does for imports from the China or the UK?

And the Canadian dollar and the pound sterling have crushed dollar in recent times...more so the canadian dollar I think. So old stock of goods are based on exchange ratesd of items purchased "at the time" and newer imports will reflect higher prices based on curent exchange rates. 

My head hurts!
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2006 at 01:39 PM by dannielsimone »
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
He he , so did mine.   ;D   But one thing for sure, local prices are certainly no gauge for the proper price points of many gears out there.   Imporation quirks have a way of distorting the true picture.  I'd still check online prices for them, as many as I can.  Getting their MSRP would be nice.  But with older models, these are often discounted prices.  Still indicative though. 

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
I use Paradigms:  Phantom, ADP-150, CC-150 paired with Velo CHT10R.  You might want to contact fellow member esi, he's better at describing the experience.

I feel out of place posting.  Hindi ko alam kung ako ang OT.  Puro trade/commerce/import regulations na nag pinag-uusapan  ;D