Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 112170 times)

Offline av_phile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Newbie Questions ( FAQ )
« Reply #120 on: Nov 27, 2003 at 10:23 AM »
hello guys,

im planning to get a subwoofer with a budget of 5K and below.

can someone please give me some tips on what i have to look for and what brands are better off with my budget?

also, i have no idea as to how subwoofers connect to HT, is it thru my receiver or does it interconnect with the speakers?! LOL!... u guys must really think im so innocent but yes i am new to subwoofers and i want to get one because i want some bass in my HT para complete..

please can someone tutor me.. a brief one cause thiis thread has way too much technical terms i can't quite catch up on..

I'll appreciate any help from the friendly pinoydvd members...      

The DTS or US AUDIO brand of subs would fit into your budget.  They're made by Dai-ichi and would be a good addition to your HT.  Audition them at the Dai-ichi showrom at SM mega and if you like what ou hear you may want to buy from a shop in Raon St Quiapo selling these as they are cheaper there.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Nov 27, 2003 at 10:26 AM »
Hello, I own a DynQuest DQ-12 sub to go with my Yamaha RX-V630 receiver and Yamaha NS-7390 and NS-P60 center and surround speakers.  I am not sure what the difference between the volume and dB settings in the sub are.. can anyone enlighten me on this so i can optimize my sub settings?

btw i don't have an SPL meter so i wouldn't know how to "equalize" it objectively. using my receiver's test tone generator isnt much help kasi i cant tell if the sound in the sub is equal to the sound generated in my speakers.

It will really be a hit and miss thing  to set the proper db settings among your speakers and subs without an SPL.  Suggest you borrow one who has.  I think it retails for about 1.5T at radio shack.  

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Nov 27, 2003 at 10:30 AM »
The DTS or US AUDIO brand of subs would fit into your budget.  They're made by Dai-ichi and would be a good addition to your HT.  Audition them at the Dai-ichi showrom at SM mega and if you like what ou hear you may want to buy from a shop in Raon St Quiapo selling these as they are cheaper there.

thanks av_phile.. last question.. how are subwoofers connected to the HT? and is it better to place it in a corner angle in the room?

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #123 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 07:04 PM »
Mga Gurus,

Another newbie who needs help.

My antique integrated amp died a couple of weeks
ago. Now, I wanted to join the HT fever. I am using
BOSE AM5 on my current set-up and wanted to make use of them in my future HT. After reading briefly on the threads, this is what I have planned to start with.

AVR
I am scouting for AVR's and have narrowed my selections on:
1. ONKYO TX-SR500 or 501
2. Marantz SR4300
3. Denon 1603

Which of the above amp is a performer? I am into 50% music and 50% movies. I can only trust and rely on
your expert ears as I cannot audition them because I
am not from Manila. Papabili ko nalang to sa pinsan
ko dyan once I have decided.

SPEAKERS
1. Where can I use the AM5, for the mains or
surround?
2. What brands of speakers will I get to complete a
5.1 setup? I don't want to buy another BOSE because
of the price. WIll the likes of Wharfedale a match? Simple lang po, yet functional ang habol ko...as a start.
My budget for speakers is only around the Wharfe's
range.
3. Is there a big noticeable incompatibility if the
speakers are not of the same brand?
4. Have been eyeing on the US Audio512L sub. Reviews says it is too boomy on music. Will the overall setup be more boomy if it plays together with the AM5?

Please help, newbie talaga ako dito. Salamat nalang at
merong ganitong site na makukunan ng mga valuable
information.

More power to all pdvd'ers.

Regards,

GneW ;)

Offline marvs

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • I am an amateur
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Dec 01, 2003 at 09:50 AM »
Ano ba pwedeng gamiting wires para sa DVD input ng TV?  Pwede na ba yung mga generic na wires na gamit para sa AV?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Dec 02, 2003 at 12:13 AM »
You have several options. You can use ordinary, generic, diy, and branded. What is your budget? Are you referring to the component TV ( 3 sets of RCA )input?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Dec 02, 2003 at 12:25 AM »
Mga Gurus,

Another newbie who needs help.

My antique integrated amp died a couple of weeks
ago. Now, I wanted to join the HT fever. I am using
BOSE AM5 on my current set-up and wanted to make use of them in my future HT. After reading briefly on the threads, this is what I have planned to start with.

AVR
I am scouting for AVR's and have narrowed my selections on:
1. ONKYO TX-SR500 or 501
2. Marantz SR4300
3. Denon 1603

Which of the above amp is a performer? I am into 50% music and 50% movies. I can only trust and rely on
your expert ears as I cannot audition them because I
am not from Manila. Papabili ko nalang to sa pinsan
ko dyan once I have decided.

SPEAKERS
1. Where can I use the AM5, for the mains or
surround?
2. What brands of speakers will I get to complete a
5.1 setup? I don't want to buy another BOSE because
of the price. WIll the likes of Wharfedale a match? Simple lang po, yet functional ang habol ko...as a start.
My budget for speakers is only around the Wharfe's
range.
3. Is there a big noticeable incompatibility if the
speakers are not of the same brand?
4. Have been eyeing on the US Audio512L sub. Reviews says it is too boomy on music. Will the overall setup be more boomy if it plays together with the AM5?

Please help, newbie talaga ako dito. Salamat nalang at
merong ganitong site na makukunan ng mga valuable
information.

More power to all pdvd'ers.

Regards,

GneW ;)

Its hard to say which is better. What could be good for me might not be good for you. For normal users any of the brands will sound good but if you are a critical user then I suggest you have to plan to visit Manila for an audition. Regarding your Bose, I suggest you sell it and get matching front and rear speakers. You dont like a jumbo jet sound at the front and Cessna sound at the back as the sound pan from front to rear. Its not the price but the sound. I would rather get a set of Wharfedales, MA or Mission rather than mizx and match especially with Bose. Just my 1 cent advise.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #127 on: Dec 02, 2003 at 01:01 AM »
thanks levi,

bubuhaying ko nalang siguro ang stereo set up ko para magamit ang bose for the meantime. mag-ipon nalang muna for a real HT set-up sa sususnod.

tenks ;)

Offline rtsyrtsy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Dec 03, 2003 at 03:05 PM »
Mas pronouce yun sound especially the high frequency if you remove the cover when listening.. same with vocals.

Some speakers are designed to be heard without grills.  Sonus Faber is a good example.  Hearing them with grills is an excellent way to kill off the highs and details which can be good if you have bright/harsh electronics.

Offline rtsyrtsy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Dec 03, 2003 at 03:09 PM »
1. pag sinabing ang av receiver ay 100 watts, ibig sabihin nun per channel 100 watts sya di ba? hindi 100watts total of all channels?

Usually, per channel.  But read the fine print.

2. ano ba ang tamang impedance rating ng mga speakers? 8 ba or 6 or 4?

No such thing as correct impedance.  In fact, even if you have speakers of a certain impedance rating, it makes sense to listen to your system at different impedance outputs on the amp.

3. ano ang ibig sabihin ng Kevlar Cone? At bakit maganda ito (or maganda nga ba)?

The goal for manufacturers it to make the cones as stiff and light as possible.  Many materials are used.  Paper is one of the simplest and arguably, great sounding.  Doped paper is another attempt.  Polypropelyne I htink is another.  Monitor Audio and some Acoustic Energy uses metal drivers.

Kevlar doesn't necesarily mean better.  I have yet to hear Kevlar cones I like.  But that's me, your ears can be different.

Offline rtsyrtsy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Dec 03, 2003 at 03:14 PM »
im planning to get a subwoofer with a budget of 5K and below.

Either you'd hate me for what I'm about to say or you'd thank me for saving you PhP5k.

Subwoofers are among the most demanding components to design.  The reproduction of low frequencies require a good driver driven by a strong amplifier and housed in a solid cabinet.  Each of these costs money.

Net, a PhP5k sub has serious compromises.  If it were my money, I'd save the PhP5k and go by the addage "no bass is better than bad bass."  If I must spend PhP5k, I'd spend them on CD's or DVD's.

Be patient.

This said, I ain't letting go of my dough for anything less than the entry level REL's.

Offline fantastic_23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Dec 05, 2003 at 03:11 PM »
Hi I am also new with HT, my questions would be

a) is it possible to have two subs in your system?
b) how will i connect the other sub to my receiver since it has only 1 output for the sub?; do i need an extra amp for this?

tnx

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 12:21 AM »
Yes it is possible. Just use a Y connector to connect two active subwoofers.

Offline fantastic_23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Dec 08, 2003 at 08:01 AM »
thanks levi.... ;)

Offline bruce wayne

• Apprentice
  • may the f0rce be with y0u....
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Dec 09, 2003 at 11:29 PM »
go to jbl acoustical space megamall,.... i just bought my home theater there. 38,000, jbl speakers with denon receiver. it's quite a good deal u know, WITH WARRANTY!

Offline fantastic_23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:16 AM »
hello, tanong po ulit...

I want to have a dedicated audio system, and reading through some forums. I might go for the ws tube preamp... since i dont want to hook it up with my receiver. what equipment do i still need in order for my pre amp to work?

thanks....

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:18 AM »
hello, tanong po ulit...

I want to have a dedicated audio system, and reading through some forums. I might go for the ws tube preamp... since i dont want to hook it up with my receiver. what equipment do i still need in order for my pre amp to work?

thanks....

WS Tube Amp.

Offline fantastic_23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:24 AM »
wow bilis, thanks.....would happen to know the price? what speakers would match this system?

isa pa pong tanong, how do you connect all this equipment? which goes where, like where does the cd player connected?

Thanks

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:37 AM »
wow bilis, thanks.....would happen to know the price? what speakers would match this system?

isa pa pong tanong, how do you connect all this equipment? which goes where, like where does the cd player connected?

Thanks

You'll find more info here:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=17630;start=420
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:40 AM by Philander »

Offline fantastic_23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:38 AM »
thanks philander!  :)

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 01:07 PM »
boss philander (or anybody), question po:

i read through the different speaker threads na kinokompare nila ang iba't ibang models dahil yung iba mas malakas ang bass, or yung iba mas clear ang highs.

kapag may subwoofer ka ba mapapansin mo pa rin yung mga bass na nilalabas ng mga main speakers? 1 example kasi is the wharfdale 8.1 compared to 8.4. Sabi nila mas ok daw ang bass sa 8.4.... ang sa akin naman, e kung may sub naman, bakit kailangan maganda pa ang bass ng fronts?

dummy question lang po ito, hope somebody can share some intellect  :)
Picture quality over plot

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 09:29 PM »

i read through the different speaker threads na kinokompare nila ang iba't ibang models dahil yung iba mas malakas ang bass, or yung iba mas clear ang highs.

kapag may subwoofer ka ba mapapansin mo pa rin yung mga bass na nilalabas ng mga main speakers? 1 example kasi is the wharfdale 8.1 compared to 8.4. Sabi nila mas ok daw ang bass sa 8.4.... ang sa akin naman, e kung may sub naman, bakit kailangan maganda pa ang bass ng fronts?

Depends on your preference.

I can only tell mine. When I'm listening to music, I'm using direct mode (bass management is off, sub is off, all speakers are set to large, tone controls are disabled).

Subwoofers can serve a lot of purpose. Like if you want to help the front speakers to help producing low freq signals, or just to produce LFE, or to match the receiver's crossover for you to not miss any frequency (this is helpful if you have non-full range speakers), etc.

With subwoofer, you can still hear the bass reproduction of front/main speakers. Remember the freq. range of the sub is different from the freq range of front/main (Exaggerated example: consider listening to wide range small drivers only without the midrange and/or woofer).

Full range speakers are the best (rare and expensive); it means you can hear the average human hearing range (20Hz to 20Khz). So even if the speaker contains tweeter, midrange and bass driver, if the frequency response is let say is 60Hz to 20Khz, then where is the 20 to 59Hz frequencies? To compensate, you may want to add subwoofer with below 60Hz freq capability, for you to hear the full range sound (given the source is full range)

So the question is not about if you have sub or not. It’s the frequency range. Receiver-speaker matching pa rin. Either try mo to improve your current system and fill what is being missed or start from scratch.

Given your example, I’ll choose 8.1 with very good subwoofer than 8.4 alone.

I’ll choose 8.4 if I have beefy and POWERFUL amplifier.

Magulo ba? Anyway HTH.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2003 at 09:35 PM by Philander »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 12:28 AM »
hello, tanong po ulit...

thanks....

Amp - Tube or solid state
Source - CD player, Turntable, Tape deck, SACD, DVDA etc
Wires - interconnects and speaker wires
Speaker - bookshelves, floorstander,subwoofers

Source --- Preamp----Amplifier-----Speakers

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 12:36 AM »

Set your subwoofer to produce bass lower than the main speaker can produce. There are also some frequencies that can be handled better by the main speaker. One advantage is a wider frequency range but more expensive because more equipment to buy. In my case, I bought a floorstander so I dont have to use a subwoofer. It has enough bass for my use. If you are a bass freak then get a subwoofer.

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 07:44 AM »
boss philander & boss levi,

muchos gracias for the inputs. ngayon nalinawan na ako  8)
Picture quality over plot

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 02:06 PM »
guys heres what i have, its a little "antique" and i really want to start my HT hobby:

Receiver: Yamaha RXV1070 (it was bought last 1993 pa, with pro logic)

Speakers: BMB speakers (front)
Rear speakers: Jensen

Recently my yamaha receiver produces lower sounds than the usual and is now producing cloudy/static sounds, but you can still hear the sounds from the movie/music. Please note, this is the right and left front channel, the sound from the rears are just fine.

Do you have any idea why this happened?  ???

I'm thinking its because of my latest dvd craze, the receiver  couldn't keep up with the volume!  ???

And can you guys comment on the equipment i have.. give me an analysis please and recommend me whatever you can.

Are the speakers that I have OK?

Also, there this delay time button in the receiver, what is this for?  ???  ::)

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Dec 31, 2003 at 09:52 PM »
Mga bossing,yung receiver ko ay my preout for Main,Center and Rear channel paano ko ba ito gagamitin to increase the power ng setup ko(RXV-800)?

TIA

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Jan 01, 2004 at 08:27 PM »
Mga bossing,yung receiver ko ay my preout for Main,Center and Rear channel paano ko ba ito gagamitin to increase the power ng setup ko(RXV-800)?

TIA

Buy power amplifiers for center and rear channels. Let the receiver power (to concentarte) the main speakers.

If you want, you can also buy another power amplifier for the main channels.

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 08:39 PM »
bossing Philander ngayon ko lang kita sagot mo...paano ba yon sir yung output ng receiver ko halimbawa is 100 watts per channel (5 channels); tapos I add a power amplifier na rated 150 watts per channel (2 channels only) and connect my receiver's main/front  magigi bang  100+150 yung front/main ko or 150 watts lang. ?

TIA

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 09:17 AM »
bossing Philander ngayon ko lang kita sagot mo...paano ba yon sir yung output ng receiver ko halimbawa is 100 watts per channel (5 channels); tapos I add a power amplifier na rated 150 watts per channel (2 channels only) and connect my receiver's main/front  magigi bang  100+150 yung front/main ko or 150 watts lang. ?

TIA

It will be 100 (x2) + 150 (x2). Receiver and power amp will power two sets of speakers simultaneously.