Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 112164 times)

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: newbie set-up
« Reply #570 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 08:56 PM »
Try to audition everything that you are looking for.  Okey lang sa mga stores yan ganyang sistema.  From there, you will be able to choose which are the ones that would satisfy your taste. 

Good luck and happy hunting.  :D

Offline southice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
help for a starter HT
« Reply #571 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
can u guys recommend a good brand that doesn't hurt the budget that much for a simple home theater setup 42" lcd tv/rec/player/ etc. what else do i need to consider. thanks  :)

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
Re: help for a starter HT
« Reply #572 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM »
Id say

1)visit the  audio-video store board first and canvass pricess of what you need which corresponds with your budget.

i would recommend if you're in makati

THE HOME THEATER
Prince Tower - Ground Floor
Tordesillas corner Bautista Streets
Salcedo Village, Makati

PM Butch HT

Sights and Sound

Shangri-la Mall

PM E-Reply

Theater Works if in QC area

PM Nemisis

and

Cyber_mms

kung nasa cavite area ka naman.

they all have good prices and nice deals that will suit your budget...

2) research the net on the recommeded products and choose what you think is suited for your taste and budget. hindi mo narin kailangan lumayo sa PDVD ka na mag research! try to vist the gallery section.

3) audition these gears! you must do this for first hand experience! wag mahiya at accommodating naman ang mga stores na ito! friendly with good customer service.

at bago ka bumili

4) visit http://pinoybazaar.forumotion.com/index.htm for cheap pre-owned gears baka may magustuhan ka na mas mura ;D if you are not sensitive with pre-owned.

for a top 10 check list of gears for a simple HT

1) LCD (toshiba, samsung, panasonic)
2) audio video receiver (yamaha, onkyo, denon etc...)
3) DVD player (pioneer, samsung etc...)
4) speakers fronts (bookshelf or floorstanders), center, surrounds and 4.1) subwoofer (b&w, mission, wharfedale or pwede rin A-Audio contact nerveblocker)
5) wires and connections (HDMI, optical, coaxial etc...)
6) voltage regulator
7) tv rack or wall bracket
8) audio/video rack (sabre ask your suking HT store or PM Matzer)
9) line conditioner
10)speaker stands

yun it gets complicated as time passes by  ::)

11) HD player
12) tube amp
13) audio set-up

etc...etc...
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #573 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
 ;D pag kailangan mo naman ng posters for wall decor baka makatulong si ctlim ;)
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
noob question
« Reply #574 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 04:20 PM »
newbie question lang...kasi im planning to set up my HT palang, but i usually watch downloaded movies ung mga avi file na 700mb lang and currently using an old htib.If i set up a new ht(avr, speakers, sub etc.) meron ba diff sa sound? o same lang?salamat po ;D

Offline bigshot_inter

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: noob question
« Reply #575 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 06:32 PM »
audio quality will depend on the type of audio codex (ac3, vbr mp3, etc...) and quality of audio encoding ( 128kbps, 192kbps,...) on the video file. A good HT system will definitely bring out the flaws of a poorly audio encoded video file.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #576 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 06:39 PM »
newbie question lang...kasi im planning to set up my HT palang, but i usually watch downloaded movies ung mga avi file na 700mb lang and currently using an old htib.If i set up a new ht(avr, speakers, sub etc.) meron ba diff sa sound? o same lang?salamat po ;D

depende sa decoding capability of your AVR. Those latest models w/ Dolby prologic IIx and DTS NEO will improve the AQ of your viewing environment but not Night & Day compared to DD or DTS encoded movies.  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 07:18 PM »
im gonna get the onkyo 604 kasi and ung mga avi file na download ko is 128/kbps mp3 lang...should i expect improvement?i can download files din naman w/c is ac3 encoded. which one is better?

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 02:34 PM »
need more responses.thanks! ;D

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #579 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 04:19 PM »
im gonna get the onkyo 604 kasi and ung mga avi file na download ko is 128/kbps mp3 lang...should i expect improvement?i can download files din naman w/c is ac3 encoded. which one is better?

download only those files w/c is ac3 encoded. it is better...  ;D

Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline defjam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #580 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 05:30 PM »
thanks sir!

Offline dinz23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #581 on: May 16, 2008 at 03:29 PM »
musta na sir? nabuo na ba ang HT mo?

Offline penguin230

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
HT questions and clarifications
« Reply #582 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:28 PM »
hi, im new here and i have some questions about Ht :) im not really new to Ht as my dad is also into the stuff. anyway, we have Sony Bravia klv-32s310a. Based upon the specs, it is 1080p capable but only has a display resolution of 1366 x 768. does this mean that it will downscale any 1080i or 1080p hd movies i play down to 1366 x 768? or to 720p or 720i?

also, my dad just bought a new tv rack wherein our center channel speaker cant fit. so the options would be to put it on the floor directly in front of the rack , but as much as possible i want the setup to be as clean looking as possible. another option would be stand it vertically beside the tv. or to simple remove it.

is standing it on the side greatly affect the sound? we do have another, smaller pioneer center speaker that i might opt to use instead of the one we are using now and put it in front of the tv. il try to provide pictures of the setup soon. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!  :)

- jb

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: HT questions and clarifications
« Reply #583 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 01:38 PM »
hi, im new here and i have some questions about Ht :) im not really new to Ht as my dad is also into the stuff. anyway, we have Sony Bravia klv-32s310a. Based upon the specs, it is 1080p capable but only has a display resolution of 1366 x 768. does this mean that it will downscale any 1080i or 1080p hd movies i play down to 1366 x 768? or to 720p or 720i?

also, my dad just bought a new tv rack wherein our center channel speaker cant fit. so the options would be to put it on the floor directly in front of the rack , but as much as possible i want the setup to be as clean looking as possible. another option would be stand it vertically beside the tv. or to simple remove it.

is standing it on the side greatly affect the sound? we do have another, smaller pioneer center speaker that i might opt to use instead of the one we are using now and put it in front of the tv. il try to provide pictures of the setup soon. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!  :)

- jb

The video output will be downscaled to TV's native resolution if your TV is capable, if not, you may have to set your player or receiver to send the nearest resolution (720p) to your TV.

An option is to put your center speaker on top of the TV via 2 brackets with a thick plywood on it.  Ideally, the center speaker should be on top or below your TV. 
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #584 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 10:11 PM »
thanks for the reply. im afraid putting the center speaker above the tv wont be possible because there are french windows behind it. the smaller pioneer center speaker however can fit in the rack exactly below the tv. will there be issues on mixing and matching the speakers? especially if the others are not pioneer?
thanks again!  :)

- jb

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #585 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 05:21 PM »
thanks for the reply. im afraid putting the center speaker above the tv wont be possible because there are french windows behind it. the smaller pioneer center speaker however can fit in the rack exactly below the tv. will there be issues on mixing and matching the speakers? especially if the others are not pioneer?
thanks again!  :)

- jb

if you cannot place bracket above your tv, maybe you could consider having DIY additional stand for your tv wherein you can insert your center speaker.  as suggested by oreoshake, its better below or above your display. i was advised before that center speaker should match atleast your fronts.

Offline penguin230

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #586 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 08:24 PM »
ohh ok. il try to come up with something :) if all else fails i just might put in on the floor just in front of the amp. thanks!

Offline corsy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie Questions ( FAQ )
« Reply #587 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 08:56 PM »
Hi po! I just want to ask kung malaking difference in terms of quality ng digital coaxial sa monster cable (or pareho lang sila po?) and sa RCA cable. hehe!

Kasi yung DVD to receiver ko connected using 1 monster cable na nakita ko lang sa bahay. I'm wondering kung magiimprove yung sound quality kung bibili ako ng digital coaxial cable (w/c costs 1,200 sa ansons :-|).

And if ever ,as ok nga mismo yung digital coaxial san kaya pwede makabili ng mura mura :-)

Sorry daming tanong! thanks po :-)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: Sep 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM »
Wag ka na magtapon ng pera mo. Pareho lang yan.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline corsy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #589 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 04:04 AM »
thanks po! sorry newbie  talaga :D

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #590 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 10:53 PM »
how do i get the sound of my TV to come out of my HT-set up, instead of the TV speakers? i know, i know, no TV channel provides stereo sound, or anything close to it  ;D i just want to know how it works.

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #591 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 05:09 AM »
how do i get the sound of my TV to come out of my HT-set up, instead of the TV speakers? i know, i know, no TV channel provides stereo sound, or anything close to it  ;D i just want to know how it works.

just connect your TV's audio out or is it audio in to your HT set up
vice versa if you want to use your TV's speaker
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline Butthole

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #592 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM »
Good Day. I've been itching to upgrade my HTiB (samsung) since we got our LCD package. While I'm trying to build up my budget, I would like to ask:

Would a pre/pro+power amp be better than an AVR receiver alone (considering best bang-for-the-buck)?

Offline WOS

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Plasma Setup
« Reply #593 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 04:21 PM »
Hi!

Just bought a plasma tv and need advises/suggestions/recommendations on the easiest and least expensive setup on how to watch downloaded tv shows from my computer. 

I live in a condo unit and plasma TV is in the master bedroom while computer is outside the room.

Also, any recommendations on a reasonable priced wireless headphone that has volume control?  This would use basically for watching TV.

Thanks in advance.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
Re: Plasma Setup
« Reply #594 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 04:28 PM »
Hi!

Just bought a plasma tv and need advises/suggestions/recommendations on the easiest and least expensive setup on how to watch downloaded tv shows from my computer. 

I live in a condo unit and plasma TV is in the master bedroom while computer is outside the room.

Also, any recommendations on a reasonable priced wireless headphone that has volume control?  This would use basically for watching TV.

Thanks in advance.
For a downloaded TV show? use you TV speakers instead of using headphones. But for Movies a headphone or HT in a box will work fine.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #595 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 04:30 PM »
Get an NMT (E-great, Popcorn Hour, HDX etc.) or WDTV.

Offline WOS

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #596 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 08:45 PM »
Sorry for the mixed-up.

What I meant was downloaded tv shows & movies are on my PC, which is outside our room, while the plasma is inside the master bedroom.  I would like to watch the downloaded tv shows & movies on the plasma.

What is the best & economical set-up?

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #597 on: Jan 25, 2009 at 05:48 AM »
Move your PC to the bedroom. ;D j/k

How far is your plasma from the PC? If it's not to far, you can connect it using a VGA cable similar to this..

You can have it routed thru your ceiling so it's hidden....

Or get an NMT as Lancito has suggested. More expensive but a lot easier to do.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2009 at 05:49 AM by jojitv »
SARS!!!

Offline e2icroyc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
newbie needs help
« Reply #598 on: Jun 23, 2009 at 07:37 PM »
First of all my name is Roy Corachea, i am now residing here in Vienna, Austria. I have been bitten by the bug(audio world). i started with my hobby on car audio for 2 years now, i can say that i am satisfied with how my car audio sounds. I am forum member of KAC and you can see my ride there if it interest you. just search KROY2 Trajet.  since i always look at KAC, i ended up reading the topic about Home Theater, there is were i found out about pinoydvd. i´ve been lurking here for quite sometime and been reading and learned alot of info about HT.

i realized i have invested so much on my car audio but i only use my car on week ends,probably 3 hours a week. from that realization comes another hobby. i am now bitten by HT bug.

i need your help on somethings.

our flat is small.  the area/wall where i will be hanging our Samsung 40" LCD TV is 130cmX205. my plan is to hang it on the center.
im am now 95% decided on buying an ONKYO HT system.
here is the link.
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/HT-S5205.html
i have a normal dvd player to hook to the receiver.
since the space were i will hang the LCD is to big, my wife tells me that she thinks a 50"TV would be better. i know it will look better but the tv we are eyeing is just 19cm wider and 14.6cm taller. still the wall is too big and the difference is not that big. a 55" will of course be better. my idea on the other hand is to  get a projector and a pulldown white screen. just like most of the set-up here in Pinoydvd.
the only 50" i can afford is a samsung plasma PS 50B430 or PS50B450. but again it does not make such big difference on the size.
if you were on my shoes given the facts, will you get a 50" plasma  or the 40" lcd plus projector. lcd is half the price of the 50" Plasma and it is a sony lcd projector.

by the way sofa will be just 3 meters away from  tv. i´llpost picture of the house later will wait for your help and suggestions.
LESS AUDITION...LESS UPGRADE
NO AUDITION...NO UPGRADE

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: newbie needs help
« Reply #599 on: Jun 23, 2009 at 07:55 PM »
welcome sir roy to pdvd.

it really depends on how you will be using your set-up, is it exclusively for movies or will there be tv/cable/games viewing & playing also. because if its for both tv/cable/games and movies. then the more practical route is to go lcd/plasma, since using your pj (projector) for tv/cable/games viewing & playing will be too costly in the long term. but if you think 50" is still too small, i suggest you can go small lcd (32" or 37") for your tv/cable and games fix and a pj with a pull down screen (over the small panel) for movies. this way you get best of both worlds and i think with this combination, the cost will just be about getting a 50" or 55" lcd or plasma.

for your 3 meters viewing length, you can go as big as 82"-85" for your projector screen. i think that will be big enough for movie viewing. but one think you should consider, make sure the room has very little or no ambient light at all, projectors work best in dark rooms, even with brand's advertising that their pj's have high lumens, its still the best to view this in the dark, ala theater. and investment in heavy curtains and drapes will come to mind.

this is my humble opinion. i think there will be a lot more suggestion in the coming moments. goodluck on your new found hobby!  ;D