Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 110818 times)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up
« Reply #690 on: Oct 11, 2012 at 02:01 PM »
question lang mga sir re bi wiring..is there really a difference between these two setups?

and

based on the above pics will there really be a difference or let's say an improvement if you bi-wire or just plainly using the supplied bridge/link of the speakers? di ko kasi maintindihan ang logic eh kasi on both setups iisa lang naman ang source sa ampli eh..thanks!
Yes, on the other set-up you need a new set of Speaker Cable. Just kidding, some speakers claimed when they use the stock shorting bar (this is the connection on the Mid and high binding post) they find the highs too bright and when they use separate speaker cable then there is an improvement.
For me, I't might be the effect of the cable that makes the highs tame. On Theory using two identical cables gives benefit on the current handling of the cable (again for the cable).
Other will use the same wire as the speaker cables in replacement of the shorting bar.
For me, I would rather do this during Bi-Amping (Separate Amp between Midbass and Tweeter) to give me the full benefit of the bi-wiring.
Again, this is just me. If you can hear the benefit of the bi-wiring in your system, then that's it!
I also made experiment on the bi-wiring when your amp has this A+B speaker selector. You can use the A for the Midbass and the B for the Highs then set the speakers to A+B settings.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline baroki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #691 on: Oct 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM »
ano suggestion nyo na cheap 2.1 setup maxed out na sa P25k (no idea ako)? i am looking at Pioneer VSX521 + front + sub. as tempting as used items are, gusto ko kasi isang bilihan na lang so sa bnew bagsak ko kasi galing pa ako laguna. gagamitin ko sa PS3 at movies via laptop with HDMI in a 12 sqm room. next time na ako kukuha ng center at rear. thanks!

or i go for onkyo htib @ 25k?

Offline lmstaana

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up
« Reply #692 on: Oct 27, 2012 at 05:06 PM »
Hello Gurus!

Newbie po.

My AVR has 2 sets of speaker output. A (5ch) & B (2ch). I am using a pair bigger floorstander speakers connected to B for music. Connected to A right now are my old satellite speakers from an HTIB. Maliliit lang po sila. My HTIB btw, is the type na nakabundle pag bili ng TV.

Ang gusto ko po sana ay magamit din ang tower speakers ko for the fronts of the  5.1 output. Pede ko po ba ikabit parin yung LR ng 5.1 sa floor stander? Magiging 2 sets of wire na po ang kakabit sa bigger speaker.

I am using Onkyo SR313 and MS Carnival 6 for this setup. Yung AVR po ay my speaker switching para maging A->AB->B ang speakers. Nag aalala po ako baka may masira pag AB speakers na po ang active.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Offline ThinkGranny

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #693 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 02:37 AM »
Sirs,

My first time to invest an av receiver and speaker.

Plan to purchase: Onkyo 818 av rvr adn Polk Audio RTi A5

I would like to know if it is compatible.

Please advise what to add like subwoofer, cables, avr.

My plans is to connect my xbox360 to Onkyo 818.

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #694 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 05:31 AM »
Sirs,

My first time to invest an av receiver and speaker.

Plan to purchase: Onkyo 818 av rvr adn Polk Audio RTi A5

I would like to know if it is compatible.

Please advise what to add like subwoofer, cables, avr.

My plans is to connect my xbox360 to Onkyo 818.

Onkyo's and Rti's pair really well.  If just for gaming only a sub will be necessary.  SVS has nice introductory prices for the sb1000 and the pb1000.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 11:10 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline justincaps

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #695 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:28 AM »
Hello gurus! Newbie here. My dad and I plan to set up a home theater system in our A/V Room. It's our first time to do such set up. Our budget for the set up is 200k including the TV. We are changing our old Samsung Bordeaux 40" LCD TV with a Samsung 46" Full HD LED TV. A/V receiver would be Onkyo. Our HT set up would be for TV viewing, DVD/Blu-Ray viewing, and PS3 gaming.

I'm currently looking at Pioneer, B&W, and Bose for our speakers and subwoofer. What are your suggestions for good alternatives?
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:30 AM by justincaps »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #696 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 11:11 AM »
Hello gurus! Newbie here. My dad and I plan to set up a home theater system in our A/V Room. It's our first time to do such set up. Our budget for the set up is 200k including the TV. We are changing our old Samsung Bordeaux 40" LCD TV with a Samsung 46" Full HD LED TV. A/V receiver would be Onkyo. Our HT set up would be for TV viewing, DVD/Blu-Ray viewing, and PS3 gaming.

I'm currently looking at Pioneer, B&W, and Bose for our speakers and subwoofer. What are your suggestions for good alternatives?

Welcome to pinoy dvd.  200k is a good budget for a full 5.1.  You mentioned 3 brands, have you auditioned them?
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #697 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 06:06 PM »

Since you have your own AV room, i'd keep the 40" for TV viewing and just add a projector system. Nothing beats big screen for me especially inside a dedicated room. However, if you are very particular with the PQ, then a more expensive PJ should also be considered.

Then sunod na ang mga audio 5.1 to 9.2 system.

Offline justincaps

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #698 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:05 PM »
Since you have your own AV room, i'd keep the 40" for TV viewing and just add a projector system. Nothing beats big screen for me especially inside a dedicated room. However, if you are very particular with the PQ, then a more expensive PJ should also be considered.

Then sunod na ang mga audio 5.1 to 9.2 system.
We are changing the TV na because we want to get the more energy efficient LED TV. Tried watching a blu-ray movie with Samsung's UA46EH5000R a few weeks before, PQ was above average. Pwede na sa amin. Siguro if we have the budget for a good PJ, then we'll buy one.

Added another brand to our list. Polk Audio. I think this is the set up we will be getting:

TV: Samsung UA46EH5000R Full HD LED
A/V Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR609
Front Loudspeakers: Polk Audio RTiA7
Rear Loudspeakers: Bowers & Wilkins CM9
Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS20
Subwoofer: Bowers & Wilkins ASW610 or Pioneer TODOROKI S-RS3SW

Any suggestions for good surround speakers?

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #699 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:13 PM »
We are changing the TV na because we want to get the more energy efficient LED TV. Tried watching a blu-ray movie with Samsung's UA46EH5000R a few weeks before, PQ was above average. Pwede na sa amin. Siguro if we have the budget for a good PJ, then we'll buy one.

Added another brand to our list. Polk Audio. I think this is the set up we will be getting:

Try polk OMW speakers... Para match sa fronts and center mo
Walang Setup

Offline justincaps

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #700 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:52 PM »
Which of the 2 subwoofers I mentioned is better?

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #701 on: Dec 02, 2012 at 06:29 AM »

I would suggest the fronts and center to be timber matched, if you really like the A7, match it with an CSi A6 center.  As for the rear loudspeakers, the CM9 is actually a bigger loudspeaker and (IMHO) better than the Rti A7 so their performance would not be maximized as rear speakers, as a suggestion I would either select an Rti A1 bookshelf as your rear should you select the A7 as front or select the CM1 as a rear surround if you decide to go for the CM9 as your fronts.  if you choose the B&W route, consider listening to the CM centre 2 as your center channel for a full B&W set up.  A CM series set up though would likely go over your 200k budget.

CM9 = 128,000 SRP ==>Main Left and Right Channel
CM1 = 43,000 SRP ==> Rear Left and Right Surround
CM Centre 2 = 53,000 ==> Center Channel

these 5 speakers alone would go over 200k, and you still don't have a sub...not unless you can source the loudspeakers from another place to land cheaper prices.

As for the Rti setup, my suggestion based on your choices would be this:

Rti A7 = 49,990 ==> Main Left and Right Channel
Fxi A6 = 24,990 ==> Rear Left and Right Surround
CSi A6 = 19,990 ==> Center channel
(Rti A1 = 14,990 ==> as a surround back left and right or front wide left and right channel) ===> this is for a 7.1 set up.
Total = 109960 for a full 7.1 = Almost all audio video shops carry Rti's and since these are SRP's you will probably acquire them for 10-15% less.

then you go dual sub set up for a 7.2 ( SVS PB1000 at 26,000 @) = seek out Mike C

that will take you to a total of  161960 SRP.

You can spend the rest on a very good Audio Video Receiver, since you are looking at an Onkyo, purchase one that has enough power in it to drive the Rti set up to a maximum, look for an Onkyo 1009 or 3008 (both are priced at 50,000). = seek out Ernest (handle is elim)

Your new total will take you to 211,960.  with the discounts you will get you will more or less spend 190,764.  you can spend the rest of the money for speaker cables, bannana plugs, stands or mounts  And just stretch your budget to grab a new TV or drop the 7.2 and go 5.1 so that you are still within the 200k.  Going a projector route is a totally different discussion altogether and doing so will mean some changes to this approach.

Obviously since the pure B&W set up will force you to go over budget, I would not suggest it.  The Rti route though is very affordable and already presents a full 7.2 or 7.1.

I hope you have listened to the brands your mentioned because the two brands discussed have a different sound behavior (Rti = bright, CM = Neutral to Warm).

Enjoy your journey and I hope I was able help.

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012 at 07:41 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #702 on: Dec 02, 2012 at 07:36 AM »

Bro I suggest getting a slightly bigger display. A 46" TV upgrade from 40" doesn't really have a significant difference. Try considering 50-55" display...

As for the speakers try looking into these brands aside from B&W and Polk:

1. Infinity Primus
2. Goldenear 3D Array + Supersat 3
3. Aaudio Genesis Line - gawang Pinoy at dekalidad ;)
4. Paradigm Monitor series
5. PSB Alpha series

As for the subwoofer audition mo SVS PB1000 and SB1000...

I think your 200K would be ok for a 5.1 set up. Or you could settle first with a 3.1 set up and get a better AV-Receiver, front left, right and center speaker then save a little for the matched surrounds.

Offline justincaps

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #703 on: Dec 02, 2012 at 10:48 AM »
Bro I suggest getting a slightly bigger display. A 46" TV upgrade from 40" doesn't really have a significant difference. Try considering 50-55" display...

As for the speakers try looking into these brands aside from B&W and Polk:

1. Infinity Primus
2. Goldenear 3D Array + Supersat 3
3. Aaudio Genesis Line - gawang Pinoy at dekalidad ;)
4. Paradigm Monitor series
5. PSB Alpha series

As for the subwoofer audition mo SVS PB1000 and SB1000...

I think your 200K would be ok for a 5.1 set up. Or you could settle first with a 3.1 set up and get a better AV-Receiver, front left, right and center speaker then save a little for the matched surrounds.
Can't go the 55" route because of the TV cabinet that my mom bought and installed at the A/V Room. It can't fit TVs that are larger than 46"s

Offline bportanez

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #704 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 08:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the very noob question. I'm not familiar on how an AV reciever is integrated in an HTPC setup that uses HDMI.

I have a 32" Samsung (LA32D550) that is connected to an HTPC via HDMI. Will this be the setup if an AV reciever that supports 5.1 setup is included?

1. HTPC -> A/V Reciever -> TV  (all connections via HDMI)
2. HTPC -(HDMI)-> TV -(dts 2.0+Digital Out)-> A/V Reciever

Thanks for the response!

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #705 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 08:42 PM »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline bportanez

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #706 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 08:55 PM »
@Timithekid

Thanks sa response. Wil the video signal just pass through the receiver then go to the TV, or is there a technology in the receiver that limits the type of video quality that can pass through it (1080, 720, etc)?

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #707 on: Dec 08, 2012 at 07:35 AM »
@Timithekid

Thanks sa response. Wil the video signal just pass through the receiver then go to the TV, or is there a technology in the receiver that limits the type of video quality that can pass through it (1080, 720, etc)?

Most if not all receivers are 1080p.  Some entry level receivers are even 3d capable so its not really limiting.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline hls

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • impossible is nothing. just do it.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #708 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 02:57 PM »
Hi Guys,
Newbie question:
which is better connection? thru optical/coaxial or thru rca (ic's) ic's rin ba ang optical/coaxial? ;D
from nmt/cdp to amplifier...for audio (music) only
Thank you guys...

Offline drew6376

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: Feb 04, 2013 at 02:13 PM »
Hi Guys, im very new here obviously.

Pls, need help on setting up a basic HT. i was planning to buy an htib for my new LED as an upgrade to my basic dvd w/no HD capablities, but decided to purchase a BR player instead and later a pair of bookshelves spkrs and a center speaker. i dont have a sub and surround yet but my next step would be to purchase an av reciever. now i didnt have the slightest idea it would be this hard and expensive to set up an HT via a reciever, if i knew i would have simply settle w/ any HTIB. so now my question is do i really need an AV reciever to have a 5.1 setup for my blue ray that only has an hdmi and a set of RCA  out or is there an alternate way to have a cheaper ampli for a 5.1 set up to connect to my BR player that again is connected to my LED via hdmi??? Thanks in advance!!

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #710 on: Feb 04, 2013 at 02:32 PM »
Hi Guys, im very new here obviously.

Pls, need help on setting up a basic HT. i was planning to buy an htib for my new LED as an upgrade to my basic dvd w/no HD capablities, but decided to purchase a BR player instead and later a pair of bookshelves spkrs and a center speaker. i dont have a sub and surround yet but my next step would be to purchase an av reciever. now i didnt have the slightest idea it would be this hard and expensive to set up an HT via a reciever, if i knew i would have simply settle w/ any HTIB. so now my question is do i really need an AV reciever to have a 5.1 setup for my blue ray that only has an hdmi and a set of RCA  out or is there an alternate way to have a cheaper ampli for a 5.1 set up to connect to my BR player that again is connected to my LED via hdmi??? Thanks in advance!!

what is your budget for a receiver?  your set up does not need to be 5.1 in an instant, start with a 2.1 (Left,Right and a sub) then slowly build.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline drew6376

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #711 on: Feb 05, 2013 at 05:09 AM »
what is your budget for a receiver?  your set up does not need to be 5.1 in an instant, start with a 2.1 (Left,Right and a sub) then slowly build.

Thanks for the reply! Besides a simple htib, i also considered buying an an active studio monitors at first since i really dont have any knowledge about amps. But i decided to buy a blue ray first then i bought a pair of 100w speakers a couple of weeks ago thinking it was cheaper. i was only planning to hook it up later to an active sub  w/c i thought was possible. then i found out after reading tons of info online that i might still end up needing an amplifier or an av reciever for my set up w/c really wasnt part of my budget in the first place. Now, I guess i really dont have much of a choice but to stretch my budget, although i dont think i can afford to spend more than 10k right now just for an avr alone. Any suggestions pls??? thanks!   

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #712 on: Feb 05, 2013 at 08:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Besides a simple htib, i also considered buying an an active studio monitors at first since i really dont have any knowledge about amps. But i decided to buy a blue ray first then i bought a pair of 100w speakers a couple of weeks ago thinking it was cheaper. i was only planning to hook it up later to an active sub  w/c i thought was possible. then i found out after reading tons of info online that i might still end up needing an amplifier or an av reciever for my set up w/c really wasnt part of my budget in the first place. Now, I guess i really dont have much of a choice but to stretch my budget, although i dont think i can afford to spend more than 10k right now just for an avr alone. Any suggestions pls??? thanks!   

With that budget what you can afford(to my knowledge) is a pioneer 521(8k) or a 2nd hand receiver.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline grohl

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #713 on: Mar 13, 2013 at 02:50 PM »
hi mga sir, good match po ba ang marantz PM5004 amplifier sa polk Rti A1 speakers?  i was thinking of getting the yamaha A-S500 pero wala na stock , the marantz is the only other option na available na kaya ng budget ko. dito po ako sa riyadh, saudi naka base and wala masyado audio stores dito.
polk audio rti a1, MA rx6

Offline R0N

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #714 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 04:08 PM »
Post ko na lang pala dito,

Guys just wanna ask, pwede naman siguro ako mag pa assist sa Sight and Sound sa pag pili ng Sound System ko (kung anong magandang Speaker, Amplifier, Sub woofer etc.) right?

Balak ko kasi mag set up ng sarili ko na home theater, pero gagawin ko bibilin ko unti unti.

Good for small room lang sana ang gusto ko, hindi ko po kailangan malakas ang sounds, basta "PANALO" yung sounds okay sakin. hehe  ^-^

Thanks guys in advance, your reply is highly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2013 at 04:10 PM by R0N »

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #715 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 05:11 PM »
Post ko na lang pala dito,

Guys just wanna ask, pwede naman siguro ako mag pa assist sa Sight and Sound sa pag pili ng Sound System ko (kung anong magandang Speaker, Amplifier, Sub woofer etc.) right?

Balak ko kasi mag set up ng sarili ko na home theater, pero gagawin ko bibilin ko unti unti.

Good for small room lang sana ang gusto ko, hindi ko po kailangan malakas ang sounds, basta "PANALO" yung sounds okay sakin. hehe  ^-^

Thanks guys in advance, your reply is highly appreciated.

For me, my own personal preference will dictate the system i am going to build. From this, i will first do a lot of research and then i will list all the gears i think will fit my requirements. Then, i will do the most important part of my system build-up, i will personally audition each of the gears i am interested in. This will validate the results of my research and i will not stop auditioning gears until i am satisfied with them. I know this will take a lot of my time but i will learn a lot during the process. I can listen to the advice of those sales people in the dealership but i will not take their advice as the gospel truth, i will still be the one will make the decision which gears to buy. Of course, i have to accept certain constraints like how much money am i willing to spend (or my budget), will these gears match my room, etc. When i am now ready to take the plunge in this hobby, then i am pretty sure i have done my best and i am buying what i want and what i need. :)

Offline R0N

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #716 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM »
^
Well noted and thanks for the sharing.
I might as well try that, ask for their suggestion and will audition it one by one :)

But for the brand, for you what is the recommended for each parts? (i.e. Jamo Speakers, Pioneer for the amplifier etc.)

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #717 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 05:52 PM »
^
Well noted and thanks for the sharing.
I might as well try that, ask for their suggestion and will audition it one by one :)

But for the brand, for you what is the recommended for each parts? (i.e. Jamo Speakers, Pioneer for the amplifier etc.)

Audition parin ng sagot dyan sir kasi may receiver speaker matching.  Some speakers behave differently when used with particular brands.  To get you started, yamaha+wharf maganda ang pairing, pioneer+wharf maganda din.  Onkyo + polk ok din ang pairing.  Marantz + b&w is also very good.  Kailangan talaga sir mapakinggan mo kasi its your taste that needs to be satisfied.  I've tried a pioneer + klipsch and found it medyo matinis(bright) but to my brother it was just right so that should serve as an example na personal preference counts a lot.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline R0N

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #718 on: Mar 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM »
^
Well noted, So ang tamang pag set up ganto ba?

1.) Speaker
2.) Receiver
3.) Subwoofer
4.) Amplifier

I'm only familiar with Speaker (Meron kasi sa bahay Jamo ang tatak nung speaker, tapos nakakabit sya sa Pioneer, hindi ko alam kung ano yun basta yung Pioneer meron volume, pwede eh adjust yung volume kung surround, etc.) pero sa mga receiver, subwoofer, amplifier hindi ko sure kung ano itsura at para saan.

I'll try, tama ba?
Yamaha (Receiver) + Wharf (Speaker)
Onkyo (Receiver) + polk (Speaker)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #719 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 03:31 PM »
You're lucky your receiver's not yet fried. Don't parallel the subs with the speakers!!! Aside from potential damage to your receiver, you'll get very boomy bass around the 100-200hz area. Get a separate amp for your subs, a mono amp that can handle half the impedance of your sub or a high power stereo amp. Definitely safer and better.

I'm almost sure hindi pareho ang sensitivity ng centers mo so connecting them together (in series, not parallel) will not produce equal sound from each speaker. Pwede mo rin subukan but I suggest putting one sideways on each side of the tv. Much better of course if you use just one center speaker, baka ubra naman ipatong sa tv kung walang space sa baba, just use blutack para kumapit.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard