Author Topic: Newbie and Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Setting up  (Read 111392 times)

Offline KEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Newbie Questions ( FAQ )
« Reply #150 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 09:01 PM »
thanks sir philander...bali two sets of main speakers pala isang 150w at 100w kala ko kasi magiging 150+100 watts sa isang set ng speaker... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 09:07 PM »
thanks sir philander...bali two sets of main speakers pala isang 150w at 100w kala ko kasi magiging 150+100 watts sa isang set ng speaker... ;D ;D ;D

Pwede but not advisable, as long na you'll connect it to a speakers that can handle such power and in correct total impedance range.

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Jan 15, 2004 at 02:56 PM »
What's the importance of bi-wiring the speakers? Do all speakers suport this?  

1. What are the benefits of bi-wiring speakers? Would it make any diff if you didn't?

@. How does this happen?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Jan 15, 2004 at 05:05 PM »
What's the importance of bi-wiring the speakers? Do all speakers suport this?  

1. What are the benefits of bi-wiring speakers? Would it make any diff if you didn't?

@. How does this happen?

Some excellent speakers from respected names do not support bi-wiring as they don;t believe it makes any  sonic difference.

There are audiophiles who scoff at the idea of bi-wiring as another snake oil.  And there are those who claim they hear sonic difference.  I guess you can always experiment to hear if there are differences.  Personally, i just bi-wire as it effectively doubles the wire-gauge i am using.  

You ma want to chekc this site

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/biwire/Page1.html

Here;s another site

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/000524_biamping_biwiring.php
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2004 at 05:13 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Jan 20, 2004 at 02:46 AM »
For example your speakers (let's say MA's  B2) is rated at 6 ohm impedance. Is this nominal only?

Can the 8 ohm impedance receivers drive this B2 without any hassles in the short term or long term. Wala bang equipment na bibigay pag ganito?

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #156 on: Jan 22, 2004 at 08:55 AM »
whats the reason of the speaker wire's silver and copper strands? are these designed or intended to go for a particular polarity of the speaker?-- thnx ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Jan 22, 2004 at 09:09 AM »
I believe they are just there to distinguish between the positive and negative.  Either can go to whichever polarity you prefer.  I have a gauge 12 pair like those and I just use the silver-tined copper for the positive and plain copper for negative.  Others use it the other way around.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #158 on: Jan 22, 2004 at 09:50 AM »
av_phile thnx for the response-- ;D

actually i happened to read before, somewhere here, about the discussion on which of the two (silver / copper) is the better conductor, thats y i came to ask that.

i also noticed from my old speaker wire that the other strand of wire is thinner. is there a reason for this? thnx again
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Jan 22, 2004 at 12:04 PM »
Silver is only about 7% better in electrical conductivity.  And those silver-looking wires may actually be silver tinned or plated.

If in doubt, use the thicker gauge for the positive.  Silver wires, dur to their better conductivity, can be one gauge lower.  

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #160 on: Jan 22, 2004 at 03:08 PM »

What sound improvement can a Source CD Player makes to overall sound reproduction if it is only connected to the amplifier digitally?

I am eyeing a particular brand of DVD Player and will use it also as a CD Player (No budget for a dedicated one). From my research, that brand is good when it comes to audio CD playback quality, but, I noticed that it does not have Stereo Analog out. It will just pass the digital signal to the receiver (Coax or Toslink)

Does Digital Signal have distinct characteristics which may differ from player to player?
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
Heeeelp: Audio Set-up
« Reply #161 on: Jan 26, 2004 at 03:54 PM »
Members of PinoyDVD:

I want to set-up an entry level for audio. I have a pair of whf 8.3 speaker currently used for my HT set-up. If i will buy an integrated amp, what brand would u guys suggest specifically for rock music? What cables/interconnect shall i use? Also, give me an idea on what to look for good amps and speaker combination for future upgrade.  ;D

Offline BuLLeT

• Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
Re:Heeeelp: Audio Set-up
« Reply #162 on: Jan 26, 2004 at 03:58 PM »
Please provide your budget range for the amp so that people can suggests amps for that price range.

There is a ROTEL RA02 for sale at the "Buy & Sell" Section.  

Great amp. at an even greater price. ;D

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Jan 26, 2004 at 04:08 PM »
For Integrated amp, check Pier for such.

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Jan 26, 2004 at 05:28 PM »
I intend to buy the nad 304 being sold here in the buy n sell section. is it ok for starters like me?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
I intend to buy the nad 304 being sold here in the buy n sell section. is it ok for starters like me?

I don't see any reason why not.  It's a good brand.

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 03:31 PM »
I don't see any reason why not.  It's a good brand.

tnx 4 ur advice..... ill check first other brands, audition them so that i will know what my ear wants to hear hehe

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Feb 03, 2004 at 03:42 AM »
I read some threads/topics with regard to continous power of certain receivers...

What does this mean?

I also know of one brand here that people are talking about is Harman Kardon (and its line of receivers e.g. AVR 130 and AVR 330) that provide continous power. Is there an advantage?

Can it drive most of the speakers out there ( 6 ohm and 8 ohm impedance) ?

What receivers do you know of aside from HK that provides continous power to all of the channels?

Can you list some of the receivers that don't provide you with that kind of power such as that of HK?

Offline mixx

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Feb 03, 2004 at 07:31 AM »
basically continous power is the same as RMS power rating (it is the amount of power that a reciever could produce w/out clipping)

I read some threads/topics with regard to continous power of certain receivers...

What does this mean?

I also know of one brand here that people are talking about is Harman Kardon (and its line of receivers e.g. AVR 130 and AVR 330) that provide continous power. Is there an advantage?

What receivers do you know of aside from HK that provides continous power to all of the channels?

Can you list some of the receivers that don't provide you with that kind of power such as that of HK?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Feb 03, 2004 at 01:32 PM »

All amps and receivers provide continuous power that as per standards should be stated at a speaker load, say 6 ohms, often at  8 ohms,  and across the entire audible audio frequencies, 20 Hz to 20Khz.on a per channle basis. Hence, whether HK, Yamaha, Denon or some other respectable brand, you shouuld see in the technical spec section of the user manual something like this:

Continuous Power per channel:  100 watts RMS at 8 ohms, 20Hz - 20Khz.

Variant:

100 watts RMS continuous into 8 Ohms per channel, from 20Hz to 20Khz.

Many high currrent recievers and amps specific their continuous power rating into 2ohm, 4 ohms in addtion to 8 ohms.  Recievers and amps that do not specify their power  rating other than 8 ohms mean that you should use only 8 ohm speakers to avoid the risk of damaging either amo or speaker.

There are some respectable brands who deviate from this standard and specify the continuous power rating something like this:

100 watts RMS continuous into 8 ohms at 1Khz.

Not indicative of real power that is continuous. many amp can have a higher power rating in the mid-frequencies.  Hence, real continuous power across all the audible frequencies is lower, maybe about 20% lower.

Other recievers and amps that ride on the conmercial appeal of "high power"  make use of the PMPO or PeakMusic Power which has no definitive technical meaning, but more a makerting hype.  Just don't give any importance to ads and banners that speak of 1000 watts PMPO or 10,000 watss PMPO.  I assure you, an HK amp delivering 100 watts RMS per channel will sound a lot more dynamic and  powerful than those touing their power n the thousands in PMPO.

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2004 at 01:33 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Chico

• Collector
  • Nowhere to go but up
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Feb 05, 2004 at 04:38 PM »
bro patanong naman. i got a ch2.1 speakers bundled with my old vcd player. kaso, de-ipit. can i convert it for me to connect it to the jacks. gusto ko snang gamitin pansamantala sa bblhin kong dvd player.

k lang ba 2 sa dvd player with ch5.1 audio output.

sna naunawaan nyo terminology ko, bgo lang kc ako sa speaker.

salamat ng marami! mabuhay!
Fear Not, For I Am with You

Isaiah 41:1-13

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 06:03 PM »
bro patanong naman. i got a ch2.1 speakers bundled with my old vcd player. kaso, de-ipit. can i convert it for me to connect it to the jacks. gusto ko snang gamitin pansamantala sa bblhin kong dvd player.

k lang ba 2 sa dvd player with ch5.1 audio output.

sna naunawaan nyo terminology ko, bgo lang kc ako sa speaker.

salamat ng marami! mabuhay!

I pressume your older VCD player has built-in amplifiers for a 2.1 speaker set-up.  If your DVD player also has bullt-in amps for a 5.1 speaker connection. you can just use your existing 2.1 speakers for the fronts.  But most of the DVD players out there with built-in 5.1 amps are your typical HTIB (HT In a Box) that also comes bundled with a 5.1 speaker set.  So your esisting speakers may be redundant.  And your concern na de-ipit yung connection, i pressume you are referring to the spring-loaded speaker terminals at the back of the VCD player.  I am almost certain all HTIBs have the same speaker terminals.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #172 on: Feb 06, 2004 at 06:08 PM »
I tried it also -- connecting my VCD speakers to my DVD player using pinjacks -- but wala tunog na lalabas. Yun nga ang dahilan, tama si av_phile1, kailangan may built-in amp yung player mo para tumunog. O kaya naman bibili ka ng amp.

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #173 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:42 AM »
pwde bang nag 5.1 ako the other way around

fronts-matrixed
rear
rear center
sub

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 12:00 PM »
pwde bang nag 5.1 ako the other way around

fronts-matrixed
rear
rear center
sub

So far wala pang receiver na capabale nito

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 06:30 PM »
Mga bosing  saan ba mas maganda ang center speaker sa itass or ibaba ng TV set... kasi yung dati kong center pwede patong lang sa ibabaw ng TV but yung bago medyo mabigat at malaki (LCR60 - 11kG).I did try it na sa TV stand (below the TV) kaso parang mas maganda pa tunog noong(IMHO) dati kong center(Canton AV700) na naka patong lang sa TV. or  need to break in the new speaker kasi 2 days old palang sya.

TIA

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 01:02 PM »
break in lang siguro kailangan dyan pre. although MA yung speakers ko, the center took a loooong time to break-in. when i got it, parang hindi sya match sa fronts ko even though MA center din.but now ok na. even in music when i set my avr to 3 channel or prologic 2, musical na rin pati center ko.

Offline kane

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re:Audio Setup Newbie
« Reply #177 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 12:20 PM »
 ???

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Audio Setup Newbie
« Reply #178 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 12:48 PM »
wih that budget, you're pretty much stuck with Home Theater in a Boxes.

(HTiB). check out the HTiB thread for suggestions.

Offline MiniCooper

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Recommend an audio set-up
« Reply #179 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 01:21 PM »
hi!  im a newbie when it comes to this.  Wanna build sana an entry level audio set-up.  What components do i need?  How much kaya budget?  pwede na ba 30-35K?  What kind of speakers?  I have no idea talaga eh.  Recommend naman kayo oh.   :)  

Im not really an audiophile, I dont have a trained ear nga when it comes to sound, just want to have a system in my room for music.  Btw, maliit lang yung room, mga 12x12 feet.

Thanks guys,  hope you can help me.   ;D

I think you can still come up with a decent Audio Setup with that money.  You may use around 10K for bookshelf speakers (ex. Wharfdale's) and use the 20K for an Amp, CD player and cables.  

Cannot say much about prices and brands available as I am offshore.  Do check out the listings from pinoydvd members who are selling used gears. You see a lot of great gears exchanging hands here in pinoydvd.

btw, you may also opt for a good micro system.  I got myself the Onkyo MC35TECH for our bedroom and it only cost me $350.

just my 2 cents..