Author Topic: Effect Of Sub If HT Room is all wood...  (Read 1081 times)

Offline aesha

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Effect Of Sub If HT Room is all wood...
« on: Dec 15, 2006 at 02:30 PM »
Guys,

Need your help on this one...i've just moved to a new place and setup my HT, the difference is my HT room before is all concrete that's why I feel all the rumble coming from my sub but now my HT room is all wood though I have carpeted the floor and drapes/curtains all around but still can't seem to get the desired rumble from thereon...

what can i do to bring back my desired taste for the rumble when my room was still concrete? any additions i need to make?

please help..

thanks

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Effect Of Sub If HT Room is all wood...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2006 at 04:11 PM »
So long as the wooden boundaries are firm, there should be no problem.  Carpeting and drapes minimize early reflections for mids and highs, but have no effect on low frequencies below 300hz or so. Solid firm boundaries help.  Because when the boundaries start to vibrate sympathetically with the LF source, that's almost the same as absorbing the LF energies so there'd be a perception of diminished bass.   Though some actually prefer wooden floors because the floors would vibrate with the sub and you can better feel the lows.  ;D

In your case, you could be experiencing a bass dip at your listning position.  You can experiment rellocating the sub to another position as your room mode may be producing a NULL where you are seated.  One technique is to place the sub at your listening position and go around the room to check where you get the strongest and most even bass.  That would then be the right location for your sub.  ANother option is to get another identical sub  in another location to minimize room mode creating the null in your listening position.  Costly, but effective.  Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2006 at 11:21 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline aesha

• Collector
  • Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2006 at 08:30 AM »
sir av,

actually the problem is the walls are not that solid, it's an old style house similar to those old houses in the vicinity of sampaloc area wherein the walls are double plywood setup. I forgot to mention that the drapes are not that lengthy, in other words it didn't even reach the floor, would you suggest that I need to adjust the drapes lower so that the left bass port will face the drapes? how about my windows, it's actually the jalousy type but of course covered by those drapes, I have a wooden closet as well and do you think it will help if I put acoustic boards on those closet doors?  ???

please advise...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 12:39 AM »
Hi aesha,

Like I said,  carpeting and drapes have NO effect on low frequencies.  Not even accoustic boards.  There are what are called Bass Traps that are specially constructed from fiberglass materials meant to minimize standing waves caused by room size/geometry.  These accoustic devices lessen room mode interaction so you get a flatter LF frequency response where you listen. I am no expert in bass traps so I suggest you google search and learn about room modes and bass traps.   Your room boundaries may be vibrating with the bass source but if the sub is powerful enough should leave enough SPLs for you to get the proper bass. I really suspect you have a null condition in your listening position where standing waves cancel out some bass frequencies so you hear less of what you should be hearing or feeling.  Try to do what I suggested on getting the best sub placement in your room. 

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 04:19 PM »
I suspect that the bass is correct in the wooden room, and that it's the concrete room that has excessive bass.

Baka naman yung bass sa wooden room ang tama, nasanay ka lang sa sound sa concrete room, pero yun pala ang may inaccurate and excessive bass.

Carpeting and drapes?  Maniwala ka na kay av_phile1.  Walang epekto sa low frequencies yan.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2006 at 04:24 PM by barrister »

Offline aesha

• Collector
  • Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2006 at 08:05 AM »
mga sirs,

I totally believe your inputs naman, siguro sir barrister nasanay lang ako nung naka-setup sa concrete room yung ht, well when i've setup my ht in my wooden room maganda pa rin naman ang palo especially when i'm watching explosion scenes from saving private ryan dts, the last stand and the likes...my sofa still shakes kahit walang bass shakers pero kasi there are times na parang ang flat ng tunog or mahina yung highs and lows but the dialog is still superb, when i watch plain 5.1 audio medyo mahina pero of course pag dts swabe lahat. Take the case of watching Transformers 20th Anniv. Ed., although the PQ is excellent because of the superb remastering medyo pagdating sa audio especially the bass, mahina sya.

I don't know kung nasanay lang din ako manood with a dts audio kasi pag plain 5.1 digital lang ang audio feeling ko mahina na ang dating...

I'm still confused mga sirs....

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2006 at 09:58 AM »

I don't know kung nasanay lang din ako manood with a dts audio kasi pag plain 5.1 digital lang ang audio feeling ko mahina na ang dating...

Mas mahina talaga ang volume ng Dolby Digital  --- or more accurately speaking, mas malakas talaga ang volume level ng DTS. 

Link - DTS or DOLBY DIGITAL thread: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=47488.msg637179#msg637179

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
Guys,

Need your help on this one...i've just moved to a new place and setup my HT, the difference is my HT room before is all concrete that's why I feel all the rumble coming from my sub but now my HT room is all wood though I have carpeted the floor and drapes/curtains all around but still can't seem to get the desired rumble from thereon...

what can i do to bring back my desired taste for the rumble when my room was still concrete? any additions i need to make?

please help..

thanks

Have you tried bass shaker?

Offline aesha

• Collector
  • Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2006 at 12:44 PM »
sir juneaki,

I want to try it before but I guess the impact of the bass in my sitting position is quite enough, may dagundong pa rin naman so to speak, ang problem ko lang yata talaga is yung highs and lows eh, I will try to position my sub as per sir av's advise to my listening position to see if that's really causing the problem (if i placed the sub in the right position).