Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 374035 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #660 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
I heard a Denon 2805 recently (alabang audio show) powering mid level Paradigm floorstanders. Medyo kapos sya for floorstanders of that caliber. It becomes bright on very demanding scenes.

Most receivers these days rate their power @ 2 channels, then place the misleading " on all channels" on the specs. Its a very common practice. In a way they are correct, i.e. 100 watts nga divided to all 7 channels might be what "on all channels" means. Somehow tama pa rin.

I have a 5x100w power amp at home, from the size and weight of it, I really have no idea how a receiver can have (true) 120w x 7 channels in one chassis along with a processor , tuner, video switcher and space for all those connections at the back.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:10 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #661 on: Oct 17, 2006 at 05:55 PM »
mga sir, i'm planning to replace my wharfe 8.4 setup to a different brand. any suggestions? my budget is about 23-25k lang pero complete setup na with center and surround. posible ba ako mag mission or b&w na floorstander for tha budget? or hindi kaya? match ba sya sa yammy 650? i'm thinking of getting a m73i or m74i. which is better from the two models? considering na meron na ako sub.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #662 on: Oct 17, 2006 at 06:40 PM »
Let me just say that price is seldom an indication of quality.   And ofcourse, it's even possible to have better quality at a lower cost, like what most DIYers achieve with their projects.  But among commercial merchandise and up to a point, there is usually commensurate improvement as you go up the price ladder.

Having said that, pls take note that many speakers locally available that are more expensive than the wharfedale actually belong in the same price points in Europe, US and online. Wharfes of the same model are cheap locally, but not overseas, simply be accident of cheaper importation costs from China.  I personally wouldn't buy into a speaker set that is locally more expensive than what I already own but is actually in the same price performance league on the net and elsewhere.  You could think you're upgrading, but you could just be going sideways.

I hate to say it, but in general, with few exceptions,  if you're looking at any real advantage in upgrading your wharfe, I would say that getting one in the 50T price point or at least three times what your current speakers cost locally should have palpable improvements in real terms, not just a difference in sonic timber qualities  If you remain in the same price point, you could just be going in circles with speakers with different sonic timbre qualities, never really going up to better sonics in real terms (i.e, dispersion trait, diffraction qualities, harmonic distortion, frequency response linearity, break-up points, time and phase alignment, to mention some). 

Your 25T budget might buy you a speaker set with just a different sonic character, not necessarily better in real terms, but it could be better on subjective terms.  I could advice you to let your ears decide.  But based on my experience, speakers in showrooms always sounded better than what I have, especially those with higher price tags.   ;D  If you want, your 25T can buy some really good stereo pair, then save up some more for the center and the surrounds later.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline obey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #663 on: Oct 17, 2006 at 08:10 PM »
mga sir, i'm planning to replace my wharfe 8.4 setup to a different brand. any suggestions? my budget is about 23-25k lang pero complete setup na with center and surround. posible ba ako mag mission or b&w na floorstander for tha budget? or hindi kaya? match ba sya sa yammy 650? i'm thinking of getting a m73i or m74i. which is better from the two models? considering na meron na ako sub.

Sir,

With that budget you may also want to consider the F-series of Aurum Cantus.  Based on the pictures posted,  maganda ang build quality for the price.  Dami lang napu-putoff dun sa 4-ohm rating niya.  Pero sabi naman ng seller (Audio Amplified) stable naman daw ang impedance niya and mataas ang sensitivity niya kaya hindi problema sa mga 8-ohm receivers.  Kung balak mo i-audition ang speakers maganda siguro na dalhin mo yung receiver mo dun sa kanila and nood kayo ng movie at moderately loud listening levels and observe the heat being generated by the receiver ;D You may also want to send a PM to DVD_Freak if you have questions since he has a yamaha+Aurum Cantus setup.  HTH.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2006 at 09:43 AM by obey »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #664 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 10:27 AM »
Having said that, pls take note that many speakers locally available that are more expensive than the wharfedale actually belong in the same price points in Europe, US and online. Wharfes of the same model are cheap locally, but not overseas, simply be accident of cheaper importation costs from China.  I personally wouldn't buy into a speaker set that is locally more expensive than what I already own but is actually in the same price performance league on the net and elsewhere.  You could think you're upgrading, but you could just be going sideways.

I hate to say it, but in general, with few exceptions,  if you're looking at any real advantage in upgrading your wharfe, I would say that getting one in the 50T price point or at least three times what your current speakers cost locally should have palpable improvements in real terms, not just a difference in sonic timber qualities  If you remain in the same price point, you could just be going in circles with speakers with different sonic timbre qualities, never really going up to better sonics in real terms (i.e, dispersion trait, diffraction qualities, harmonic distortion, frequency response linearity, break-up points, time and phase alignment, to mention some). 

Your 25T budget might buy you a speaker set with just a different sonic character, not necessarily better in real terms, but it could be better on subjective terms.  I could advice you to let your ears decide.  But based on my experience, speakers in showrooms always sounded better than what I have, especially those with higher price tags.   ;D  If you want, your 25T can buy some really good stereo pair, then save up some more for the center and the surrounds later.  Just my 2 cents.

Well said, I agree to this upwards or sideways "upgrade" concept. IME, upgrading from a 2 woofer entry level (EL)Mission Floorstander to a Mid level (ML) 1 woofer Mission FS was a real upgrade to me, instead of getting another speaker of the same level (like sir AV mentioned its a sideways movement, not an upgrade). Even if it meant loosing 1 woofer. The refinement, clarity, imaging and other sonic characteristics of the ML's are significantly improved from the EL's. I even had to sell my long shelved EL Mission bookshelf that I brought out for audio use. After listening to the ML's, the EL BS was simply no match and I found myself listening & bringing my audio setup to the ML spkr most of the time. So I just sold the bkshelf instead of shelving it again.

For your budget try going for the mid level Wharfe Evo series. I heard these before and my, my, they are pretty impressive. And just like the other wharfes, they are not that expensive too.

Also consider that for the budget you readied for an entry level FS, mid level bookshelves are not far in price! And you get well improved sonic characteristics that would beat an entry level FS any day. Audition them and you will know.

Lastly, dont forget  to factor in your AVR as well. I noticed the mid levels get to sound better with higher model receivers as they are harder to drive, but sound heavenly once well driven.

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #665 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 02:05 PM »
mga sir, thanks for the adviced. tama po ba pag kaka intindi ko. mission m74i will not give me a significant upgrade from wharfe 8.4? will this just be a sideway upgrade? what about a mission m33i or m34i, will this give me a signifucant upgrade? and onething more, bibitayin na ako ng wife ko if i buy a speaker worth 50k :o ::). Hehehe. sorry masyado matanong. newbie pa kasi.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2006 at 02:20 PM by Assassin101 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #666 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 02:49 PM »
mga sir, thanks for the adviced. tama po ba pag kaka intindi ko. mission m74i will not give me a significant upgrade from wharfe 8.4? will this just be a sideway upgrade? what about a mission m33i or m34i, will this give me a signifucant upgrade? and onething more, bibitayin na ako ng wife ko if i buy a speaker worth 50k :o ::). Hehehe. sorry masyado matanong. newbie pa kasi.

a friend told me he heard a 8.4 being powered by a Rotel power amp and he was astounded by the sound of the wharfes w/c he underestimated a lot. Maybe a power amp can be a worthy upgrade for you instead of a speaker upgrade. Both speaker and amps contribute to the SQ. the good thing about power amps is that its a one time investment, even after you change so many speakers & receivers you can still use the same power amp for many years.

Read this article about pre outs

If you ask me, I think that a good power amp + wharfe 8.4 will sound better than just missions on a receiver, based on this article. Thats coming from a happy mission user.  ;)

Re Wharfe/Missions I dont think there would be a big significant improvement. Many former Wharfe users who went to entry level missions say that they liked the missions more. But the degree of significance is the question. But if you are looking for a significant change, the mid levels will be more  :o :o :o than another entry level again.

But that still depends on your ears..and pocket of course. The best way is still to audition it yourself. If you are afraid you will have psychological bias on the recommended speakers, ask the store to let you audition these side by side.. AND NOT tell you which speaker is sounding. This way you will know w/c sounds best w/o bias.

Like I have said to people, all speakers (or setups, or cables, etc)are different, not necessarily better. If the different speaker suits your listening taste...it becomes the better speaker...but for you only.

Only YOU will know whats best, so audition...
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2006 at 03:03 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #667 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 02:58 PM »
a friend told me he heard a 8.4 being powered by a Rotel power amp and he was astounded by the sound of the wharfes w/c he underestimated a lot. Maybe a power amp can be a worthy upgrade for you instead of a speaker upgrade. Both speaker and amps contribute to the SQ. the good thing about power amps is that its a one time investment, even after you change so many speakers & receivers you can still use the same power amp for many years.

Read this article about pre outs

If you ask me, I think that a good power amp + wharfe 8.4 will sound better than just missions on a receiver, based on this article.

Re Wharfe/Missions I dont think there would be a big significant improvement. Many former Wharfe users who went to entry level missions say that they liked the missions more. But the degree of significance is the question. But if you are looking for a significant change, the mid levels will be more  :o :o :o than another entry level again.

But that still depends on your ears..and pocket of course. The best way is still to audition. If you are afraid you will have psychological bias on the recommended speakers, ask the store to let you audition these side by side.. AND NOT tell you which speaker is sounding. This way you will know w/c sounds best.

sir matz. if i were to consider using a power amp, i won't be disposing my wharfe. what brand will you recommend and how much will it cost? my budject would just be around 10-15k

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #668 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 03:29 PM »
sir matz. if i were to consider using a power amp, i won't be disposing my wharfe. what brand will you recommend and how much will it cost? my budject would just be around 10-15k

You cant go wrong price/performance wise w/ Rotels and NADs. But they might cost a bit more, even if its pre owned.

But there are still lots of these good power amps in the B/S section.

Offline Assassin101

• Collector
  • chill
  • Liked:
« Reply #669 on: Oct 18, 2006 at 04:01 PM »
You cant go wrong price/performance wise w/ Rotels and NADs. But they might cost a bit more, even if its pre owned.

But there are still lots of these good power amps in the B/S section.

sir, meron ako nakita NAD 216THX. will this power amp give me a significant change on my setup?

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #670 on: Oct 25, 2006 at 10:21 AM »

Someone is selling a rotel power amp in the B/S section.
Baka kaya ng powers mo kunin mo na.
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #671 on: Oct 25, 2006 at 10:31 AM »
Hi to all,

Im planning to have my setup replace(to those interested im selling it as package) which I use for 50% HT and 50% Audio.
It consist of HK235, B&W 602S3 and LCR60 and Klipsch RW-10.

Now I want to build a new setup for 40% HT and 60% Audio.
Or maybe 30/70 basta lamang audio listening.
Napansin ko kasi hindi naman lahat ng pinapanood ko have LFE's kaya Im concentrating more into good audio setup.

I would like to ask what speakers would I upgrade to and what receiver would I match it with.
All suggestions are very much appreciated.

TIA.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #672 on: Oct 25, 2006 at 11:53 AM »
Hi to all,

Im planning to have my setup replace(to those interested im selling it as package) which I use for 50% HT and 50% Audio.

Napansin ko kasi hindi naman lahat ng pinapanood ko have LFE's kaya Im concentrating more into good audio setup.

I would like to ask what speakers would I upgrade to and what receiver would I match it with.

TIA.

What is it you don't you like with your HK and B&W set that you feel doesn't work well with musical materials?  IMO, it's important to know the qualities you want that is lacking in your current gears before upgrading.  Unless you're upgrading for its own sake. 

And what's your budget? 
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2006 at 11:56 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #673 on: Oct 25, 2006 at 12:15 PM »
Thanks sir AV for the reply maaasahan ka talaga.

To answer your question.
None, the combo works fine and is very good(for my ear).
Maybe I'm just upgrading for upgrading's sake or just curious what's an upgraded system would sound.

Budget would be 100K I just don't know if this would be enough.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #674 on: Oct 25, 2006 at 04:22 PM »
If that's the case, I could suggest you start visiting the better AV showrooms out there and audition some upscale systems.  Then perhaps you might be able to identify that which you are missing with your current system.  Just be aware that different systems sound DIFFERENT, not necessarily BETTER.  Even between price points.  It really depends on where a you're coming from and what you find impressive in qualities you don't have with your present system.  It can be easily subjective.

In the area of speakers, if I was coming from where you are, I'd start checking B&W speakers in the 800 series, coz that's where much of the audible improvements can be more dramatic or noticeable.  The higher models in the 600 series are floorstanders with deeper bass but the mids, highs, imaging, diffractive qualities, resolution and time alignment are almost identical.  There's the 700 series, but accdg to some net reviews, they're not much better than the 600 series at twice the cost.  You can check it out yourself.  Unfortunately, I think you would need to quadruple your budget for a mid-priced model in the 800 series. 

In AV receivers, you could benefit from a higher series HK receiver, say the 600 line.  Definitely, in terms of power, DSP/DAC processing and features, you can safely say you are upgrading.  I could suggest going Rotel and NAD, just make sure the specs are better than what you have, at the very least.

Personally, getting a more beefy and finer stereo power amp is a definite upgrade.  If your AVR has pre-outs, this can serve as your pre-amp which many audiophiles do to mate with an external power amp to upgrade in terms of higher power, better noise floor, frequency response, THD and damping factor.  For stereo music, this should give audible improvements.  Check out the Rotel RMB stereo power amp series. Or their 5-channel amps.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #675 on: Oct 25, 2006 at 10:24 PM »

Personally, getting a more beefy and finer stereo power amp is a definite upgrade.  If your AVR has pre-outs, this can serve as your pre-amp which many audiophiles do to mate with an external power amp to upgrade in terms of higher power, better noise floor, frequency response, THD and damping factor.  For stereo music, this should give audible improvements.  Check out the Rotel RMB stereo power amp series. Or their 5-channel amps.

I could not agree more ;),instead of dispossing your current set-up and not having an idea of what to get  ??? ??? ???,better try first getting an ext power amp to supplement your present set-up. With your 100t budget you could start with rotel 1075 and then get also a dedicated cd player :) Upgrading for upgrading's sake is not the right path to achieve what you want. Try auditioning first and let your eaRS  decide.

Offline etneroll

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #676 on: Oct 31, 2006 at 09:32 PM »
newbie...how much are you going to sell your system??? :)

Offline Alcohol Jan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #677 on: Nov 04, 2006 at 08:10 AM »
hi there:)

i am new to this hobby and currently looking for my first pair of audio-only stereo speakers.

i am currently looking at the dynaudio focus 140 priced at less than 60k. heard it at listening in style connected to a meridian G06 and a T&A amp/pre-amp combo.

can anyone tell me what are my other choises for the speakers and also, if what i heard in listening in style is too good of a source that it makes the speakers sound better than what i can hear elsewhere??

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #678 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 11:17 AM »
hi there:)

i am new to this hobby and currently looking for my first pair of audio-only stereo speakers.

i am currently looking at the dynaudio focus 140 priced at less than 60k. heard it at listening in style connected to a meridian G06 and a T&A amp/pre-amp combo.

can anyone tell me what are my other choises for the speakers and also, if what i heard in listening in style is too good of a source that it makes the speakers sound better than what i can hear elsewhere??

This Meridian ad was in one of my HT mags:

A complete Meridian HT below $25k?

I almost choked on what I was drinking at that time. The ad meant that most of their stuff are above $25k.  and a below $25k setup was their cheapest. :o

Maybe the source is too good, if you can afford it, why not?

I am not sure regarding the Focus series, but I have heard the entry level Dynaudio Audience 72 floorstander being powered by an EXPOSURE 2010s integrated amp and it was one of the best audio I ever heard. Try to audition the Dynes with the exposure, maybe it can drive a higher series Dyn.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #679 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 11:36 PM »
Hi to all,

TIA.

Maybe I'm just upgrading for upgrading's sake or just curious what's an upgraded system would sound.

Budget would be 100K I just don't know if this would be enough.

if i have that budget (Php100k) for an upgrade & am in your "predicament" ;D, i would do either of the ff:

a) put up a separate & minimalist pure audio set-up comprising of: a Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player (Php35k), a Rotel RA-1062 Integrated Amp. (Php31k), a pair of B&W 601 s3 Bookshelf Speakers (Php20k); & a pair of B&W 600 s3 Bookshelf Speakers (Php15k) as surround speakers for my incomplete HT set-up.......kulang lang ng Php1k ;D

b) if a separate audio set-up is not possible due to space constraint, OR i just would like to integrate it w/ my HT system for whatever reason.......i would retain all the gears provided that the HK 235 has pre-outs ::), then i will just buy some additional gears: a Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player (Php35k), a Rotel RMB-1075 Multi-Channel Power Amp. (Php58k) & a pair of B&W 600 s3 Bookshelf Speakers (Php15k) as surround speakers for my incomplete HT set-up........magdadagdag lang ng Php8k ;D ;D

b.1) if HK 235 has NO pre-outs.......i would sell it, then buy a new (or even a pre-owned) receiver w/ pre-outs probably a Yamaha RX-V659 A/V Receiver or an HK 245 A/V Receiver or their equivalent (Php30k), a Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player (Php35k), a Rotel RB-1070 Stereo Power Amp. (Php35k) & a pair of B&W 600 s3 Bookshelf Speakers as surround speakers for my incomplete HT set-up (Php15k, to be taken out of the proceeds from the HK 235 sale ;))........saktong-sakto lang sa budget ;D ;D ;D

it is quiet clear that whatever option i would take from the foregoing, i will ALWAYS buy a dedicated CD Player (not necessarily a Rotel) & retain my front & center speakers....... :D

but it's just me 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2006 at 11:38 PM by classicman »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #680 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 01:03 AM »
newbie,

why replace everything at once? it seems to me like you have'nt fully maximized the potential of your speakers. why don't you try adding a power amp first? you're going to need a power amp anyway if you plan on upgrading your speakers. the next step would probably be to replace your receiver w/ a dedicated pre/pro but i would suggest waiting a few months until the next generation pre/pros come out. just my 2 cents :)

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #681 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 09:20 AM »
newbie,

why replace everything at once? it seems to me like you have'nt fully maximized the potential of your speakers. why don't you try adding a power amp first? you're going to need a power amp anyway if you plan on upgrading your speakers. the next step would probably be to replace your receiver w/ a dedicated pre/pro but i would suggest waiting a few months until the next generation pre/pros come out. just my 2 cents :)
Thats what I have in mind right now.
Mr. Query auditioned my system last week and its only then that I realize that I have a good setup.
Especially the imaging coming from my speakers.

Actually almost everybody like my system when they hear it.
My system is not that much but worth every penny I invested in it.
Of course much pricier gears would sing very very good than what I have.

Other reason why I wan't to upgrade is change of speakers.
I wan't to hear a different speaker sing.
I'm very much curious how the RS6 would sing though I haven't auditioned it yet.
I heard the B4 and liked it I guess I would love the RS6.
But after last week I decided to keep my gears for a longer time.
I'm on a hunt for a pre-owned Rotel power amp right now and a dedicated CD player in the near future.

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #682 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 10:02 AM »
I am planning to upgrade my existing diamond 8 series and am keen on acquiring 602S3, RS1 or Ikon 2.  Can anyone please identify the strengths and weaknesses of each speaker?

Which will give the most sonic benefits, bi-wiring or bi-amping?

In a home theater and audio set-up, what component is the most important/crucial in achieving audio nirvana?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #683 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 01:47 PM »
In a home theater and audio set-up, what component is the most important/crucial in achieving audio nirvana?

1.)Acoustics

Your room is 50% of the HT & audio experience. Even a multi million setup wont sound good in an acoustically poor room.

2.)System matching

*Matching bright gears to warm ones, etc.
i.e.: Dont match a bright speaker with a bright AVR.

*Matching a receiver with enough power for your speakers, specially floorstanders and hard to drive (power hungry) speakers.
i.e: Dont match  FS or power hungry speakers with low model receivers.
If you are willing to produce funds to buy that "pretty" floorstander, always keep in mind that you need to set aside funds to make the "pretty" floorstander sound PRETTY.   :)

2 cents, 2 cents!
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 12:51 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #684 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 04:14 PM »
MATZTER,

If room acoustics account for 50% of the sound, therefore, AVRs with built-in room eq is a helpful tool.  What AVR  models currently out in the marketthat has the most effective room eq?  RX-V659 or AVR2106?

What brands are these bright-sounding speakers and amps?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #685 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 11:51 AM »
MATZTER,

If room acoustics account for 50% of the sound, therefore, AVRs with built-in room eq is a helpful tool.  What AVR  models currently out in the marketthat has the most effective room eq?  RX-V659 or AVR2106?

LAKAMBINI,

Room acoustics (a very long topic) is different from room EQ. Even if you room EQ a setup in a bare walled room, it will still not sound good because of echoes and bass reverberations w/c tend to eat up the critical mids & highs.

I had a receiver w/ room EQ in a bare walled condo unit while I was waiting for my house w/ HT room to finish, room EQ didnt stop the irritating reverbs in the corners. But when I moved into my HT w/ absorbers, diffusers & bass traps, that made a whole lot of difference.

If you plan to use the mid level spekers you mentioned above (602S3, RS1 or Ikon 2), I would recommend that you get a higher model receiver than the ones you mentioned, or you might not be getting your speaker's max potential. (my 2 cents)

What brands are these bright-sounding speakers and amps?

Its a simple logical equation actually:

Bright receivers (Yamaha example) PLUS bright speakers (JBL, Infinity, AC, MS) is painful to your ears as its too bright

Warm Receivers (HK, Onkyo, Marantz) PLUS warm speakers (AE, musical speakers) May tend to make your HT sound too gentle , at times, "ngo ngo". Your HT might become too musical & lose the HT "UMPH!" (but some prefer this)

A combination of the 2, one warm, one bright, is usually the best. Thats why HK & JBL's, Marantz & MS work great together. 

2 cents 2 cents!  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 12:58 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #686 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
Which will give the most sonic benefits, bi-wiring or bi-amping?

Just last night, one of my experiments:

B&K 200w power amp bi wired via Kimber braided cable 9awg (biwireable via splitting)

VS my old:

Harman Kardon HK630 75w ACD, 90w stereo to HF via Ecosse 2.3 reference cable
BI-AMPED to
Rotel 100w to LF via IXOS gamma 6006 braided 11awg cable.

Initial observations, I would still prefer my Bi-amp setup. Better dynamics in both HT & music. Maybe since there are 2 separate power supplies for each HF & LF? dunno.  ??? I still havent tried biwiring the B&K using the ecosse & Ixos, maybe that would yield better result than just one bi wirable Kimber cable? duno..  :-\ Maybe the B&K power amp is not suited to my listening taste? duno... :-[

For those interested in bi-amping, best option would be 2 stereo power amps, or a 5 channel amp where you use the 4 channels to bi-amp. But if you do it with a receiver, I would recommend a high model, all channels driven (ACD) receiver & not the "high wattage" 2 channels driven divided by 5-7 channels AVR. The power ratings should not be very far from each other, and these 2 channels driven receivers might dip their power too low on demanding scenes (when they divide the 2 channels rating to 5-7). Just use the power amp na lang w/o bi-amping in this case.

But this is just a personal theory. & this is OT na

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 01:12 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #687 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 09:40 AM »
matzter,

re: higher avr models for my "mentioned speakers"

IF I chose to use the rx-v657/9 or avr 19/2106 does this mean that I have to use an entry-level speakers?
Before, I want to have a separate ht and audio set-up, however I found it to be expensive.  However, I opted to buy a receiver with pre-outs so I can connect a dedicated stereo power amp for stereo listening.

IF eq won't sound the echoes in a room, does this mean that room EQs of the above recievers are useless?  Originally, I am keen on acquiring a Marantz avr, however, since they have no room EQs I opted to choose between Yamaha and Denon.  Do EQs really improve the sound?

Are the Wharfs (9s)  an excellent musical speakers?  PLease recommend. Thanks.

Offline Lucky7

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #688 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 01:27 PM »
Newbie,

Try to listen to Nad/Dynaudio combo or Nad/Paradigm Studio combo.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #689 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 04:38 PM »
lakambini,

EQ's are not useless of course, they EQualize the 5-7 speakers so that no speaker will sound louder than how they were meant to be. If a speaker is louder, sometimes they tend to be "over" specially surrounds.

The result of an EQ'ed setup is a more seamless soundstage and better panning, etc etc. for your 5-7 speakers.  They will fix the relationship between your speakers (accdg to your room acoustics) for a better enveloping HT experience, BUT it wont fix the sound & it's relationship w/ your room if there are too many echoes, reverbs, etc.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006 at 04:58 PM by MAtZTER »