Author Topic: Recommend a Speaker  (Read 368406 times)

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommend a Speaker
« Reply #900 on: Jul 19, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
Hi, I'm in the market for mid-end speakers for HT, budget P60-80T for 5 speakers only. Got Velo 12R sub.
Which speakers are the best match for mid-end Denon (waiting for 09 series-first choice) or Onkyo (waiting for 06 series) receivers?  Will be using old Pioneer AV Receiver in the meantime.

I'm considering Paradigm monitor 7+atom and B&W 684 or 685, HTM61 and 686.  Already auditioned Paradigm at Shang.  Will schedule audition for B&W at SGT.  Which one would you recommend? Are there any other better matched speakers out there which I should consider auditioning? Thanks guys...
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2008 at 10:45 AM by milken »

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #901 on: Jul 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM »
Hi, I'm in the market for mid-end speakers for HT, budget P60-80T for 5 speakers only. Got Velo 12R sub.
Which speakers are the best match for mid-end Denon (waiting for 09 series-first choice) or Onkyo (waiting for 06 series) receivers?  Will be using old Pioneer AV Receiver in the meantime.

I'm considering Paradigm monitor 7+atom and B&W 684 or 685, HTM61 and 686.  Already auditioned Paradigm at Shang.  Will schedule audition for B&W at SGT.  Which one would you recommend? Are there any other better matched speakers out there which I should consider auditioning? Thanks guys...

Hello Sir, I wonder why you haven't tried B&W 684, HTM62 and 686 speakers at my other side store Sights and Sounds. We have B&W speakers that are hooked up ready for audition with the Onkyo and Denon receivers.

Try visit Sights and Sounds again for another audition. Look for my staff Jun, Arnold, or Paul for assistance.

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #902 on: Jul 19, 2008 at 11:32 PM »
Hello Sir, I wonder why you haven't tried B&W 684, HTM62 and 686 speakers at my other side store Sights and Sounds. We have B&W speakers that are hooked up ready for audition with the Onkyo and Denon receivers.

Try visit Sights and Sounds again for another audition. Look for my staff Jun, Arnold, or Paul for assistance.

Didn't know you carry B&W. Will visit Sights and Sounds one of these days.  Do you also carry Monitor Audio?  Which brand and model of speakers is best for Denon/Onkyo.  Hope anyone who has experience can help me limit my choices.

Offline Blade

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #903 on: Jul 20, 2008 at 08:47 AM »
We find Polk Audio RM-705 5.1 sub/sat HT speakers to be a good match with HK. This system generates powerful yet clean and deep bass. Its timbre matching speakers create coherent surround soundfield that will fill up the room with action.

We invite you to audition PolK Audio RM-705 at our showroom Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza.
was @ shang yesterday for some auditions...
was not able to hear the polk speakers kasi naka-box pa daw...sayang...hehehe...
 :(

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #904 on: Jul 20, 2008 at 04:43 PM »
was @ shang yesterday for some auditions...
was not able to hear the polk speakers kasi naka-box pa daw...sayang...hehehe...
 :(

We can open RM705 for audition. Please come back to ask Jun or Paul for assistance. I am sure they will be very much willing to help. Afterall, they get sales incentives for every electronics sold.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #905 on: Jul 20, 2008 at 04:51 PM »
Didn't know you carry B&W. Will visit Sights and Sounds one of these days.  Do you also carry Monitor Audio?  Which brand and model of speakers is best for Denon/Onkyo.  Hope anyone who has experience can help me limit my choices.

We sell Monitor Audio, but on order basis.

We carry the following receivers and speakers: Onkyo, Denon, B&W, Paradigm, Wharfedale, Mission, Polk Audio, Jamo, PSB, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, Tannoy, Epos, and soon Mirage and Klipch.

To be fair in answering your inquiry of which brand and model of speakers is best for Denon/Onkyo, we shall leave this to those users to answer.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2008 at 04:56 PM by E-reply »

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Choosing between Jamo, Mordaunt Short and Wharfedale Speakers
« Reply #906 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 05:02 PM »
Hello to all.

I am currently using:
Yamaha RXV450
MS 409 Sub
Yamaha NSP106 Satellites
Altec Lansing 619-8A for audio

I would like to hear your feedbacks on the following:

Jamo s606 hcs3
Mordaunt Short Avant Series (902 surrounds, 905 center, 906 fronts)
Wharfedale (9.5, 9DFS, 9CM)

Going to use it at 50/50 audio and HT. i am into classical music. Let us limit the choices of the speakers to the 3 brands and treat them as "shortlisted candidates" :) thanks in advance!

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Choosing between Jamo, Mordaunt Short and Wharfedale Speakers
« Reply #907 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 05:23 PM »
this is a no-brainer. go for the MS avants.

jamo - manipis tumunog. wharf - hard to drive, namimili ng bright sounding amp.

remember the avant 902i is 5 star rated.

Offline madrigal

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #908 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 06:04 PM »
YES.   Mordaunt Short.  Great sounding speakers for the price.

Don't mind if it is sold beside mainstream generic brands such as kenwood, sansui, sony, panasonic etc...   

Just imagine you are at an Upscale Audio branch.   

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #909 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 07:52 PM »
Hello to all.

I am currently using:
Yamaha RXV450
MS 409 Sub
Yamaha NSP106 Satellites

Jamo s606 hcs3

Going to use it at 50/50 audio and HT. i am into classical music. Let us limit the choices of the speakers to the 3 brands and treat them as "shortlisted candidates" :) thanks in advance!

If you dont mind... I advise you explore other possibilities  :) Audition, audition, audition   ;D ;D ;D

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #910 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 10:00 PM »
i see... sa ngayon 5th avenue ang nakikita ko na may avant series sa makati area. yung sa iba kasi eh yung carnival series. yung mga jamo at wharfe madali hanapin sa mga stores. pero yung MS saan pa ba mayroon sa makati area?

thanks sa mga posts niyo! please keep it coming as this is a good reference din :) thanks again!

@Adam Warlock

yup yup its good to audition din talaga. pero im not that experienced pa kasi sa hobby kaya im asking din for feedbacks and information talaga.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #911 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM »
If you're exploring those 3 brands because of budget - you might also like to audition those new lines of Mission speakers. I think they're budget friendly as well ;)

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 693
« Reply #912 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM »
Mordaunt Short.

Auditioned them at 5th ave electronics with cambridge audio amps and they sounded great for the price.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM by kromestar »

Offline defjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #913 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 11:59 PM »
yep the mission mv series are in the price range of the wharfes ;) havent heard them though pero maganda feedback ng missions.

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #914 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 08:51 AM »
right now im limiting my choices to the 3 brands however a case in point if ever that i get to see a chance to audition and its on the same price level, i might include it on the list of choices.in the makati area i havent seen mission speakers around (parksquare 1, architectural audio, listen up).

any other store in makati area that sells mordaunt short avant series speakers?

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #915 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 09:14 AM »
right now im limiting my choices to the 3 brands however a case in point if ever that i get to see a chance to audition and its on the same price level, i might include it on the list of choices.in the makati area i havent seen mission speakers around (parksquare 1, architectural audio, listen up).

any other store in makati area that sells mordaunt short avant series speakers?

Try to audition Mission speakers available at our shop Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza. Yamaha receiver that is a quite bright and front sounding is just right for a bit warm sounding Mission speakers.

Suggested package will be: Mission MV-6 front, MV-C center, and MVDS surround.

While at the shop, look for Paul or Jun for assistance.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 at 09:18 AM by E-reply »

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #916 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 09:25 AM »
@E-Reply

is the MV6 a floorstander?
do you also have wharfe and jamo in your store and audition them using a yamaha receiver and i will bring my cds and dvds?

sent you a message also for other fine details.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #917 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 12:19 PM »
@E-Reply

is the MV6 a floorstander?
do you also have wharfe and jamo in your store and audition them using a yamaha receiver and i will bring my cds and dvds?

sent you a message also for other fine details.

Yes, MV-6 is a floorstanding.

You can bring your equipment for testing the Jamo, Wharfedale, and Mission speakers that are available at our showroom.

Offline cia25nne

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #918 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM »
Good day to everyone. My nephew is looking for an entry level type of bookshelf speaker.What can you recommend to him taking into consideration his budget of P10T and his music range (Foo Fighters to Josh Groban)? TIA.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #919 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 01:32 PM »
Good day to everyone. My nephew is looking for an entry level type of bookshelf speaker.What can you recommend to him taking into consideration his budget of P10T and his music range (Foo Fighters to Josh Groban)? TIA.

Perhaps, you may post the brand of amplifier and model, so that we may properly suggest you the speaker-amplifier matching.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #920 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 01:52 PM »
Perhaps, you may post the brand of amplifier and model, so that we may properly suggest you the speaker-amplifier matching.

hi sir vic,

thanks sa quote sa mission mv series. but when i went to their website, apparently they have the mv-ds which i think is for surrounds, which i think will be more suitably than the mv-2 and mv-4 i had you quoted me. do you have this? can i get a quote for cash and 12 months deferred? tia!

Offline cia25nne

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #921 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 03:39 PM »

Oh I forgot about that. His amplifier is an old model Onkyo TX-DS575 bought from a friend.

He was contemplating about buying a 2nd hand pair of speakers but I told him that with the help of audio gurus here, he can get value for money brand-new bookshelf type speakers for his budget of P10T. Thanks again.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #922 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 03:41 PM »
hi sir vic,

thanks sa quote sa mission mv series. but when i went to their website, apparently they have the mv-ds which i think is for surrounds, which i think will be more suitably than the mv-2 and mv-4 i had you quoted me. do you have this? can i get a quote for cash and 12 months deferred? tia!

MV-DS is P9K at 12 months. Cash at P8100.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #923 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 03:44 PM »
MV-DS is P9K at 12 months. Cash at P8100.

thanks sir vic.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #924 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 04:04 PM »
Oh I forgot about that. His amplifier is an old model Onkyo TX-DS575 bought from a friend.

He was contemplating about buying a 2nd hand pair of speakers but I told him that with the help of audio gurus here, he can get value for money brand-new bookshelf type speakers for his budget of P10T. Thanks again.

You have the following choices of bookshelf speakers that will match well with Onkyo TXSR575:
Wharfedale 9.1 at P5500. cash
Mission M31 at P8910. cash
Polk Audio at P8100. cash

From the above, we find Mission to be a good match for Onkyo. It deliver rich, warm, and full music with adequate bass that is clean, tight and punchy. It also presents wide impression soundstage. Overall, it delivers breathtaking insightful music.

We invite you visit our shop and do your own evaluation and audition of the above speakers. Sights and Sounds is located at 4th level Shangri-La Plaza.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 at 04:09 PM by E-reply »

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #925 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
Hello to all.

I am currently using:
Yamaha RXV450
MS 409 Sub
Yamaha NSP106 Satellites

Jamo s606 hcs3

i suggest you go with the MS Avant Series (if talagang limited ka lang sa 3 brands stated above). Have auditioned it before and sounds ok naman in both HT and Audio. I suggest you bring your Yamaha 450 when you audition the speakers, sa 5th Ave kasi normally they have only Marantz and Kenwood receiver and it might sound different pagdating mo sa house when you connect it na sa Yamaha.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 at 04:11 PM by vtec3 »

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #926 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 05:12 PM »
Try to drop by Audio Amplified in libis. Audition the Aurum Cantus Fseries- entry level speaker. Drivers are from Denmark. Danes do make very good drivers. Scan speak, hiquphon, Vifa, Dyns, peerless, to name a few  :) :) :)

Cheers

Offline cia25nne

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #927 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 08:14 PM »
You have the following choices of bookshelf speakers that will match well with Onkyo TXSR575:
Wharfedale 9.1 at P5500. cash
Mission M31 at P8910. cash
Polk Audio at P8100. cash

From the above, we find Mission to be a good match for Onkyo. It deliver rich, warm, and full music with adequate bass that is clean, tight and punchy. It also presents wide impression soundstage. Overall, it delivers breathtaking insightful music.

We invite you visit our shop and do your own evaluation and audition of the above speakers. Sights and Sounds is located at 4th level Shangri-La Plaza.

Thanks for the prompt reply. My nephew will be delighted to audition the aforementioned brand of speakers in your shop. Might as well accompany him so I can personally thank you in person.

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #928 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 11:24 PM »
to all:

thank you sa mga inputs niyo so far. kanina i dropped by spectra sa park square to check out stuff lang din. tapos sa abensons ata yun na nakakita me ng jamo s606 hcs3 na 5 speakers and it is priced at 17990.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #929 on: Jul 29, 2008 at 11:45 PM »
to all:

thank you sa mga inputs niyo so far. kanina i dropped by spectra sa park square to check out stuff lang din. tapos sa abensons ata yun na nakakita me ng jamo s606 hcs3 na 5 speakers and it is priced at 17990.

If you want to audition the speakers on your list, your best bet would be Shang. Fr the above invitation of sir Vic, you can audition wharfes, Jamo & Mission in S&S. After, you may proceed to 5th Ave on the top floor of Shang to audi MS speakers naman ;D