Author Topic: Initial Thoughts on the Tannoy Fusion 3 Floorstanders  (Read 11627 times)

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Initial Thoughts on the Tannoy Fusion 3 Floorstanders
« on: Dec 16, 2006 at 09:40 PM »
Hi guys.  Just sold my Wharfedale 9.1s and bought a pair of Tannoy Fusion 3s.

Bought them since they were at an unbelievable sale price at Yamaha.

My questions:

1) Based on my ears so far, Wharfedales sound slightly better, but from time to time I get some sense that the Tannoys have more potential.  Any idea on the ideal break-in period for these speakers?

2) Any feedback from Tannoy guys here, if ever.

Plan to break these in every night (low volume, continuous play while I study).

Will post my thoughts after break in. . .

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006 at 08:13 PM by muypogi »

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question on Tannoy Fusion 3 Floorstander
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 07:25 PM »
sir, how much were the tannoys?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 07:31 PM »

but from time to time I get some sense that the Tannoys have more potential.  Any idea on the ideal break-in period for these speakers?

Just curious, what's  the potential of the Tannoys you sensed that is more?   
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006 at 07:35 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 07:58 PM »
sir, how much were the tannoys?

The entire Tannoy line carried by Yamaha is being sold at a 50% discount.  Apparently, they will no longer carry Tannoy anymore, so ubusan na lang ng stock.  Orig  price of the Fusion 3 was 22,000.  Got it for P11,000.  Plus the MX-3 floorstanders were being sold at about P7k, since demo unit na lang natitira sa Megamall.

The promo was too hard to resist. . .

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Mini-Review na of Tannoy Fusion 3
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 08:11 PM »
Just curious, what's  the potential of the Tannoys you sensed that is more?   

Actually, after some hours of listening, the Tannoys are apparently more detailed and the bass is tighter.  I was watching my The Corrs: Unplugged DVD (in stereo), and what I immediately noticed was that I was hearing individual instruments, whereas the Wharfedales gave the impression of a blended orchestra.  While hearing a blended accoustic set was great with the Wharfedales, the Tannoys were able to bring out the individual instruments. 

Also, bass seems surprisingly bigger with the Wharfedale 9.1s, pero parang mas swabe yung bass ng Tannoys.  The  Wharfedales actually have smaller woofers, but these are Kevlar, vs the paper cones of the Tannoys.  Baka kailangan lang ng mas matagal na break-in for the Tannoys.

Actually, if you were auditioning speakers, and you auditioned them in Yamaha's megall showroom, you would not be able to hear what the Tannoys are capable of.  The showroom, especially during Sundays, is quite noisy.  Plus, the speakers are connected to a HT receiver and are not bi-wired.   Thus, medyo manipis yung tunog.  Contrast that with Sight and Sounds Shangrila, where I got my NAD amp and Wharfedales.  They were set up exactly as I wanted, bi-wired and paired with each other.

In fact, even with the Tannoys on sale, I was reluctant to get them, since in the showroom, they seemed inferior to the Diamond 9.1s.  But something inside of me said to try them out anyway, since mababa lang naman yung outlay (after I sold my speakers).  The worst thing was I would sell them and get a new pair of Diamond 9.1s.

Those are my comments so far.  The Tannoys are beginning to sing. . .

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Mini-Review na of Tannoy Fusion 3
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 11:09 PM »
Also, bass seems surprisingly bigger with the Wharfedale 9.1s, pero parang mas swabe yung bass ng Tannoys.  The  Wharfedales actually have smaller woofers, but these are Kevlar, vs the paper cones of the Tannoys.  Baka kailangan lang ng mas matagal na break-in for the Tannoys

Kevlar drivers are said to require a longer break-in time. 

You were comparing a floorstander against a bookshelf??

they seemed inferior to the Diamond 9.1s.

They apparently belong in the same price range as the Diamond 9.4 as discounted in a couple of UK online stores, about $300 to $400 a pair. 

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Tannoy-Fusion-3
http://www.hifisuppliers.co.uk/website/loudspeakers/wharfedale-diamond-9-4.htm
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006 at 11:11 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Mini-Review na of Tannoy Fusion 3
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2006 at 11:33 PM »

Kevlar drivers are said to require a longer break-in time. 

You were comparing a floorstander against a bookshelf??

They apparently belong in the same price range as the Diamond 9.4 as discounted in a couple of UK online stores, about $300 to $400 a pair. 

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Tannoy-Fusion-3
http://www.hifisuppliers.co.uk/website/loudspeakers/wharfedale-diamond-9-4.htm

Yes, I am comparing a bookshelf to a floorstander.  When I auditioned the 9.1, the cost of adding stands more or less equalled the cost of a 9.4 floorstander.  So I asked the sales guy to demo me both speakers. However, when I listened to a 9.1 and a 9.4 back to back (fresh stock, no break in, same amp, same cable, same source, same music CD selection), the 9.4 seemed inferior to the 9.1.  The 9.1 had much tighter bass and was generally much better to listen to.  Parang ngngo yung 9.4 vs the 9.1s.  So I went with the 9.1 bookshelves.

Apparently, when I browsed through my copy of What HIFI, they had the same opinion that the 9.1 was far better than the 9.4s.

Hearing the 9.1 and the Tannoys now, the Tannoys are much much better.  Although if the Tannoys were at the regular price, I would have still have opted to keep my Wharfedale 9.1 with stands, as these are really good value for money.  At the discounted price, the Tannoys are a hands-down choice over the 9.1s right now.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: Initial Thoughts on the Tannoy Fusion 3 Floorstanders
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 11:00 AM »
baka mas maganda kung itapat mo yun TF3 sa wharfedale diamond 9.5 flooorstanders priced @12.5k ?

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 11:37 AM »
baka mas maganda kung itapat mo yun TF3 sa wharfedale diamond 9.5 flooorstanders priced @12.5k ?

Dapat yung Fusion 4 vs Diamond 9.5, para patas - double woofer to double woofer. 

Kung maganda lang sana yung tunog ng 9.4 yun yung kinuha ko.  Hindi ko na pinakinggan ulit since narinig ko na when I auditioned the 9.1s.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 06:17 PM »
Dapat yung Fusion 4 vs Diamond 9.5, para patas - double woofer to double woofer. 

Kung maganda lang sana yung tunog ng 9.4 yun yung kinuha ko.  Hindi ko na pinakinggan ulit since narinig ko na when I auditioned the 9.1s.

yes tf4 vs. wd9.5 parehas dobolwoofer tf3 vs. wd9.4 but sa price point medyo malapit na yung 9.5 sa tf3. anyways thats the futility of 'auditioning' dito. since i'm a believer of "burn-in"/breaking-in speakers, esp kevlar woofered speakers, its useless to audition one right out the box. yung 9.1 ko pinatunog lang 5mins to be sure ok no more "critical listening" kuno. sana mga audio shops display units properly broken-in.

sayang ang tannoy hindi nag-click dito maski good reviews naman yung revolution R and MX series nila tho made in china na. anyway, your good review of the tf3 might just convince people to hurry up and avail of the closing out sale. a few years after baka marami maghanap nyan. ganyan nangyari sa celestion noon 80s90s bago binitawan ng distributor dito nagbagsak presyo sale so up to now may mga celestions na nakikita ka sa 2nd hand audio market. :)

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 09:18 PM »
Tannoy makes excellent-sounding speakers. Hindi lang maganda ang marketing strategy nung distributor dito sa RP (unlike Bose-"Better sales through marketing"  ;D). I have 2 pairs: Mercury 2 and the 6.5 FS. Will check with Yupangco tomorrow, baka merong Sensys  :)

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2006 at 10:49 PM »
Tannoy makes excellent-sounding speakers. Hindi lang maganda ang marketing strategy nung distributor dito sa RP (unlike Bose-"Better sales through marketing"  ;D). I have 2 pairs: Mercury 2 and the 6.5 FS. Will check with Yupangco tomorrow, baka merong Sensys  :)

In terms of stocks, what Yupangco has now are 21 units of Fusion 3s (nung nagtanong ako sa head office) and some demo units of the Sensys series and the MX3 floorstanders.  Okey sana yung sensys, but the price was way out of my league (translation: magagalit si misis pag nalaman niyang binili ko yung Sensys).

Sayang nga, the shop in megamall still had a demo unit of the revolution r3 being sold at less than half the price.  Sounded pretty good, pero demo unit na and medyo may scuff marks here and there.  The Fusion 3s use the same drivers as the discontinued Revolution series, so I decided to get the newer series (na new stock, hindi demo).  An initial listen to both revealed (at least to me) that the Revolution R3 was slightly better, but not good enough to justify a P7k premium for a possibly much-used demo model vs new stock of a newer series.

Offline napshell571

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2007 at 03:27 PM »
Hi everyone! Kinda late ko na nabasa post na to pero let me share something...
I was about to bought Wharf 9.2's for my AV set-up because, besides some nice reviews, they fit my budget. Then, something came up on my way to the audio shop. I've read that the Tannoys were on sale at Yamaha. I've bought the Fusion 2 after auditioning. To me, they sounded better than the Revolution R1.
At first, they sounded very flat on my Yamaha 530 but days passed, surprisingly they're getting better. Treble was clear and crisp without being overbright kaya hindi fatiguing. The bass was present but not extended. My guess is that they would sound better on higher powered amps. I'm pretty satisfied with the F2 until...
I've learned that Yamaha has still stocks of the mercury mx-m series. Kundi mo tatanungin ay di io-offer ng mga taga-Yamaha kaya parang mahina nga sa salestalk yung mga tao nila doon. And guess what? Yung mercury mx-m floorstanders ay halos ka-price ng fusion bookshelfs. Dahil wala pa ko gano budget, i've bought the mercury mxc-m center speakers. When i've set them up at home with the F2's as mains, the mercury mxc-m center sounded more revealing than the polite F2's.
Since then, I have now an all mercury mx-m set-up with the mx4-m floostanders as mains at only 12k. I'm happy with the Tannoys. And, tama ka bro, the wharfs sounded as if the instruments were bundled while with the tannoys, you can hear distinct instruments. Yun yata yung tinatawag nila na wider soundstage o kaya e good spectral balance. Ewan ko pero they sound pretty good.

Offline chocovim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
Hello Napshell571,

Alam mo ba number ng yupangco?  Medyo interested ako sa mercury nila. :)

Ty.

Offline allenwfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2007 at 02:06 PM »
same here ano po number ng yupangco?
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline napshell571

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2007 at 05:15 PM »
bros. chocovim & allenwfc,

G.A. Yupangco's no. on my receipt is 633-50-70. Pero kung gusto nyo text nyo si rick castro at megamall sa number 09062166581. Sya ung salesman na nag-assist sa kin. Alam ko all Fusion series are still available.

napshell

Offline chocovim

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2007 at 05:15 PM »
got the number allenwfc,

its 8999595.. :)

Offline chocovim

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2007 at 05:17 PM »
oops 8999595 is the number of yupangco/yamaha in buendia.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM »
oops 8999595 is the number of yupangco/yamaha in buendia.

thanks, found their website at www.yupangco.com

there office is near where i work so i'll grab some time to dropby there later. :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 11:50 AM »
I would recommend you audition it in Megamall branch. The last time I went to Yupangco, naka-storage na yung speakers nila.  Took them quite a bit to get one, since nawawala yung one and only person that was in charge.  The best part was that they were trying to hook up the speaker to a PA amp.  Siyempre, ang sama ng tunog.  Of course, nag-walk out ako, since I waited for more than 30 minutes hoping to demo the Fusion 3s.

I also auditioned the MX4s, but I found the sound of the Fusion 3s better.  Magandang value yung MX4.  Double woofer and at only P12k, if I remembered correctly.  Okey yung salesperson sa Megamall.  Iniwanan ko pa nga ng kopya nung test cd ko to show my appreciation.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 05:36 PM »
just passed by yupangco head office in makati

they only had the tannoy sensys dc 1 hooked up for demo, so i tried them out. im no audiophile expert, but i'd have to say it sounded good. what i cant say is if it is worth the more than 2x price tag compared to the fusion series..

anyone care to comment on the sensys dc series?

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 06:20 PM »
allenwfc

the ones that they have are their ex-demo models from the different showrooms. they are not brand new (sensys). last I was there the tweeters are even poked in so inspect thouroughly before making any purchase.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 06:32 PM »
allenwfc

the ones that they have are their ex-demo models from the different showrooms. they are not brand new (sensys). last I was there the tweeters are even poked in so inspect thouroughly before making any purchase.

ok thanks for the heads up, ill make sure to ask.

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • D is for DVD, that's good enough for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 10:59 AM »
FYI, I went to Yamaha Megamall a couple days ago to audition the Tannoy speakers. Unfortunately, all Tannoy units have been transferred back to their head office. Thus, no use to go to Megamall.

However, I spoke to a very knowledgeable salesperson while I was in the store. He recommended the Sensys series for 2 channel audio. But as far he knows, all Sensys speakers left are demo units.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007 at 11:00 AM by Stoned Wall »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 11:17 AM »
FYI, I went to Yamaha Megamall a couple days ago to audition the Tannoy speakers. Unfortunately, all Tannoy units have been transferred back to their head office. Thus, no use to go to Megamall.

However, I spoke to a very knowledgeable salesperson while I was in the store. He recommended the Sensys series for 2 channel audio. But as far he knows, all Sensys speakers left are demo units.

yah, what a bummer... they really sounded great.. but i wont spend 50+k (complete set) for demo units

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 11:24 AM »
yah, what a bummer... they really sounded great.. but i wont spend 50+k (complete set) for demo units

How much are the Sensys DC 1? I remember that the Yamaha salesperson in Megamall said that all Tannoy speakers are on 50% off and an additional 10% off for demo units? Not too sure about the 10% off though.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 01:14 PM »
How much are the Sensys DC 1? I remember that the Yamaha salesperson in Megamall said that all Tannoy speakers are on 50% off and an additional 10% off for demo units? Not too sure about the 10% off though.

sensys dc1 is 18990 per pair, this is with the 50% off, sales guy at the head office made no mention of the 10% off for demo units.. plus is it 50+10 = 60% off original price? or 10% off the the resulting 50%? which translates to something like 55% off the original price?

sensys dcc is center is 12,245
sesnsys DC2 is 26490 for the pair
inclusive of the 50% off.

stonewall, can you confirm with the yamaha guy in megamall, how the additional 10% works? if its additional 10% off original price.. a complete set would cost 46+k.. semi tempting.

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 01:35 PM »
sensys dc1 is 18990 per pair, this is with the 50% off, sales guy at the head office made no mention of the 10% off for demo units.. plus is it 50+10 = 60% off original price? or 10% off the the resulting 50%? which translates to something like 55% off the original price?

sensys dcc is center is 12,245
sesnsys DC2 is 26490 for the pair
inclusive of the 50% off.

stonewall, can you confirm with the yamaha guy in megamall, how the additional 10% works? if its additional 10% off original price.. a complete set would cost 46+k.. semi tempting.

If understood the Yamaha Megamall salesperson right, the additional 10% discount is cumulative thus, a total of 60% off. But again, don't quote me on this as he mentioned this only in passing during our conversation.

Best way to verify is to call the head office and check. You could also try to haggle for a package discount. Sorry if I'm not much of help.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2007 at 01:44 PM by Stoned Wall »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 02:55 PM »
was ther yesterday and today. They only have 1 pair of the Sensys DC2. Unfortunately both super tweeters are poked. demo na nga defective pa. 60% off daw because of the "slight" defects....never mind.  What they have there in pristine condition is the Tannoy Revolution R1 minimonitors. Php8T for the pair yata ang price. comes in Rosewood finish.  This is one of their award winning models and was highly rated in Europe back in its heydey.  The only brand new units that they have are the Fusion 3's.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 03:56 PM »
darn.. for the fusion 3, id rather spend a little more and get a wharfedale 9.5 or 9.6 or that aurum cantus 5xxxf