Author Topic: Best rear surround speakers? Dipole or direct...discuss please.  (Read 605 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
For a nice set up of 7.1 .....floor standers are 100-150 watts.  Dipole or direct?  and which brand/model number.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best rear surround speakers? Dipole or direct...discuss please.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2006 at 03:59 PM »
If you are into multichannel music, like playing DTS-CD, SACD and DVD-A, direct firing surrounds that are IDENTICAL to your fronts are ideal.  That's because many multichannel mixes have full range dynamics on each of the 5 channels.  OTH, if you're more into movies, either dipoles or bipoles are recommended because they provided a non-localizable dispersion trait that can be best serve ambiant surround signals. 

Having said that, some HT and music enthusiasts have both.  They can select which depending on the source material they are playing via a dedicated rear amplifier with speaker A/B switching.  There are also multichannel music mixes with ambient concert hall information in the rears that can better be served with dipoles of bipoles.  These are mostly jazz and classical mixes.  So having the flexibility to select between the twp types would afford the most benefit depending on the source materials.  But one doesn't have to have dedicated rear amps for this.  A speaker selector box will do. 

In my case, since I am more into music and multichannel music, I have identical rear and front floorstander setup.  So far they seem to do as well in movies.  I would like to go the selectible route too,  but I just don't have wall space for dipole sets.   ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2006 at 04:10 PM by av_phile1 »