Author Topic: HD vs SD  (Read 3710 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HD vs SD
« on: Dec 20, 2006 at 07:36 PM »
Spot the difference:
ICE AGE 2 on Blu Ray High Definition using PS3 vs an upsampling DVD player

Upsampled SD

HD

These shots taken from avsforum.com from a poster using an olympus 3.2 megapixel camera.  Anyone with a good resolution camera and both HD and upsmpling SD players, pls post some frame captures of both on the same screen of the same scene.  Thanks.

More bigger shots here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=770807

Just can't understand why the same pics are smaller here.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2006 at 07:43 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline allenwfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: HD vs SD
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2006 at 09:52 AM »
off the bat, the fur looks so much more real and different.. cool thanks sir av :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2006 at 10:20 AM »
Malayo pala talaga....  upsampled SD looks soft as against HD.  Pati colors iba.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
I should have posted screenshots of some HD DVD/DVD combos that I have....im just having difficulty capturing images since im using a PJ....not enough light...di gaano makita diffrence....cguro if I have a plasma or a LCD monitor, it would be better... :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006 at 11:04 AM »
Am no expert photographer, but I think if you set the camera to a lower speed shutter setting or larger aperture setting, you should  be able to get decent low shots.   Either way you need a tripod to mount the camera because the slightest pulse beat can ruin the shot.   There are digital cameras out there with pre-set settings for low light or night shots too.  But still need a tripod.  Attn photography experts out there, pls give tips on how to shoot PJ screens. 

BTW, make sure you have highest resolution setting for the camera.  But posting it here or on any forum will require some resizing.  And I think resizing to 80k-100k at the least jpeg compression level would give the best compromise for size and detail.   

Screen captures on HTPCs should be best.  But are there HTPC users here with a high def ROM drive already?  If you have the 360 HD DVD add on drive slaved to the PC via USB, I think that will work. 
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2006 at 11:16 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 07:54 AM »
I made some screenshots of King kong HD-DVD  and Ice age 2 Blu-Ray.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=61119.0
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 08:59 AM »
Excellent shots, though a little slow downloading here.  Would be nice if you could also sample shot SD screens of the same scenes for posting here.  It seems the screen shots I posted above have been taken out from the sites where I took them. 

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 12:34 PM »
Its not that I don't want to do the SD to HD comparison but I gave my King Kong disc to my sister ;D. The difference is really huge. The added detail makes the actors float which gives a 3D effect. Small objects are easily discernible compared to the SD transfer which are blurred.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 12:52 PM »
Oh well, maybe when you have the chance to borrow it.  ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2006 at 08:35 PM »
dont have screenshots but i have king kong in hd dvd and dvd, hd dvd wins handily  8)

Offline D75C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Sounds good but it makes my coffee bitter.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 08:20 AM »
I think this a no-brainer. Any content more than 480 lines of resolution is a clear winner.
You wonder why it still not good enough after spending P1M.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 10:07 AM »
Ofcourse it is.  But I had hoped this thread would show the difference, not between 480i and 1080p, but between 480i UPSAMPLED to 1080p and TRUE 1080p on the right HDTV display thru some screenshots.   A lot out there are saying you don't see much difference, not a night and day thing and is not worth going into HD.  To some extent you really won't see much difference on a 32" HDTV with just 720p resolution, especially when usng top notch video processors/scalers. But there is, as not even the finest upscaling video processor doing its job on a 480i source material is even close to high def material with the proper bit rate and transfer, but only on the right dispay.   HD is really meant for 42" screens and above with 1080p native res. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2007 at 10:13 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 08:29 AM »
Yes, only on the right display. Even VGA will look good in a cellphone screen with a good resolution.

In my case, I have both HQV and Gennum processing to upscale and delinterlace 480i signal in its digital form(480i via hdmi). The processing involve DOES NOT INCREASE RESOLUTION. it just fill lines between scanlines to make the picture smooth and then scale the progressive image to the native resolution of your display. This is not easily done as artifacts are generated with even the best processors.

Upscaling will still have a softer feel compared with HD. This is very evident with my 106 inch 16:9 screen.
The advantage of true hd (1080p) is that you pass on the digital signal in a pure form without the need for any processing to your display. Most blu-ray and hd-dvd's are mastered in 1080p/24 and if your display can handle this resolution and frequency(or a multiple of24 like 48 and 72hertz) then a 1:1 pixel mapping is taking place.

The good thing is, you can enjoy HD by sitting closer to the screen and have a better immersive experience than before. The greater the resolution the closer you can sit watching TV :D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 09:45 PM »

The good thing is, you can enjoy HD by sitting closer to the screen and have a better immersive experience than before. The greater the resolution the closer you can sit watching TV :D

Yes, I should have added that watching up close on a good HDTV display, even a 28" one can make the difference more discernible with HD sources.  That's why wall-mounted large HDTV flat panels have become so popular in Japan despite  their crammed apartments in the cities.  You would traditionally need at least a 10 foot viewing distance from a 32" CRT TV.  But with HDTV, even a 42" display will look gorgeous 5 ft away with HD sources.  With the finer HDTV models like the Bravia X series, the closer you are to the screen (up to a point ofcourse), the better and more imposing they look.