Author Topic: speakers for surrounds  (Read 6857 times)

Offline Jonassen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
speakers for surrounds
« on: Dec 14, 2001 at 11:59 PM »
I'm thinking of getting the new Wharfedale (kevlars) bookshelf type for the surrounds.  It just costs a little less than 6t.  Parang sayang kasi if I get another pair of B&W303s just for surrounds...  Am I right ? Any recommendations/comments, please.  I setup my HT in our living room. Medyo maliit lang ang space. Siguro, mga 4 x 4 meters lang.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: speakers for surrounds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2001 at 12:06 AM »
OT: Protege, tinuloy mo ba yung sub? or did you switch to buying the surrounds first instead?  :)

Back to topic; Yan ba yung entry-level ng Pacific range ng Wharfedale? If it is, they have very good reviews as stereo speakers from What Hifi? Sound & Vision. I just don't know how well they will match with your 303s.

GAOL

Offline Pep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2001 at 12:09 AM »
A really quick (and cheap) way to find out is if you have mini-component speakers lying around, try using them as surrounds as an experiment.  Kung pwede na, you've just saved yourself 6K's.  Kung parang kulang ng onti lang, then get yourself the Wharfdales.  

Having your surrounds exactly the same as your fronts would be ideal, but surrounds are somewhere you can save money.  It's more imporant that you have a center that "matches" your fronts.

-Pep

Offline Jonassen

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2001 at 12:50 AM »
thanks for the replies.

Gaol, I'm getting the sub today. I've been a good boy kaya Santa (or is it Satan  ;D) would give me dough for the surrounds, too.  Yun din ang apprehensions ko - if it would match the 303s.

Pep, thanks for the advise.  I still have a pair of Aiwa lying around somewhere. I'll test it first.  Btw, I use the 303s for the mains and the LCR3 for the center.

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2001 at 01:21 AM »
i suggest you use an extra pair of 303s for your rear para mas maganda (if budget permits). in the days of pro-logic ok lang na magtipid ka sa surround speakers kasi bandwidth limited siya and goes only down to 100 hz. pero ngayon na discreet 5.1/6.1/7.1 na dapat parepareho speakers mo on your main speakers (L/C/R/LS/RS) kasi kung anong info. meron sa front pwede rin nilang ilagay sa rears yung info na yun. IMO.

Offline DTS

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2001 at 05:41 AM »

thanks for the replies.

Gaol, I'm getting the sub today...

Hi Protege! Did you push through with the US Audio sub? PM mo naman sa kin how much you got it. Thanks!   :)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2001 at 07:06 AM »
I suggest save enough money then get 303 for the surround. The difference is around 4T and if you have to wait for sometime its all worth it. You might regret your decision if it does not match your fronts. At least if you decide to get 303 your sure to have a perfect match. Remember when you buy speakers you usually use it for years so get the better one. Another thing is the surround for DTS and DD5.1 is very important unlike the Pro Logic.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2001 at 07:37 AM »

Hi Protege! Did you push through with the US Audio sub? PM mo naman sa kin how much you got it. Thanks!   :)

DTS,

The US Audio 512L is being sold at Sights and Sounds (Park Square and Shangri-La) for P7,500, cheaper than the P10K price at the Dai-ichi Showroom in Megamall. According to the guys at the showroom, the reason for this is to avoid being in direct competition with their retailers. It's also available at Listening Room for P8K.

GAOL

Offline DTS

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2001 at 01:30 AM »

DTS,

The US Audio 512L is being sold at Sights and Sounds (Park Square and Shangri-La) for P7,500, cheaper than the P10K price at the Dai-ichi Showroom in Megamall. According to the guys at the showroom, the reason for this is to avoid being in direct competition with their retailers. It's also available at Listening Room for P8K.

GAOL

Thanks Gaol! Am planning to buy one before the year ends. Just trying to borrow a car to be able to bring the darn thing home safely   :)

Do you own a 512?  If so, I'd appreciate it if you could PM me your comments on it...    ::)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2001 at 09:10 AM »

Thanks Gaol! Am planning to buy one before the year ends. Just trying to borrow a car to be able to bring the darn thing home safely   :)

Do you own a 512?  If so, I'd appreciate it if you could PM me your comments on it...    ::)

DTS

Better ata kung sagutin na lang kita sa subwoofer thread (surround speakers kasi dito, nasingit lang ang sub  :D).

GAOL

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2001 at 10:11 PM »
Hey guys,
I use Polk Audio M5 for my surround speakers to complemand my Polk Audio RT7 fronds,CS250 center and PSW 300 sub, the M5 has a Junior version, the M3 its angular sharp fits corners, check it out at Cardial Audio.

Offline backmarker

• Collector
  • I'm lovin' it
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2001 at 10:58 PM »
I used my existing Wharfedale Diamond Vs as surrounds to complement the Diamond 8.2s and Diamond Center. IMHO, I think you should use the same manufacturer for all of your speakers.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
Re: DIPOLE speakers for surrounds
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2001 at 09:58 AM »
Actually my Polk M5 is a monopole direct radiating type, my Denon AVR 3300 can accomodate 2 types of surround like an A/B swiching. In the future I might try a dipole surround. does any body have a dipole surround here? What are your experiences?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
Re:speakers for surrounds
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2002 at 02:39 AM »
Reposting

Surround-Speaker-Configuration for HT set up ??? which is better? Monopole, Bipolar or Dipole? ???

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
what is the best match for surround speakers?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 08:28 AM »
Hey mga genius!!

Sabi ko nga, enjoy na ako sa local speakers ko, of course my dream to have better speakers for my setup is still there naman. last week i checked the kenwood sorround speakers in SM ist costs 4.5T for the 2 sorrounds and one center. I got no problem with the center because it is 100 w daw. However the sorrunds are just 40 W each.

Well my HT receivers is 120 w x 6 at 8 ohms,,,Well may i ask, would there be a problem if i use a 40 w speakers only to the 120 w speaker output of my receiver?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:what is the best match for surround speakers?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 08:50 AM »
jerix

there should be no problem if you hook up a surround speaker rated at 40 watts to your A/V receiver that is rated at 120 watts per channel.  For optimum performance use a tone tester to balance your system  and use the  bass management control (set the center and rear to small) so you wont overpower the small speakers with low frequencies.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 09:55 AM »
Sabi ko nga, enjoy na ako sa local speakers ko, of course my dream to have better speakers for my setup is still there naman. last week i checked the kenwood sorround speakers in SM ...

Hi Jerix, no offense meant Pare, but may I just forewarn you that Kenwood is not really a good brand. I would not like you spending your money on some unworthy brands/models. Magtanong ka muna sa mga tao dito sa PinoyDVD. Marami pang mas okay sa Kenwood Pare, lalo na British brands/designs (Whardedale, Mission, Acoustic Energy, etc.). Pagtiyagaan mo muna yong local speakers mo rather than go Kenwood, kasi itong Kenwood - hindi ka rin tatagal dito ng isang taon - upgrade ka na naman.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 10:08 AM »
Hey good guys!!

thnx for your comments...that y m asking you kasi nga i want sana to maximize the utility of my pioneer vsx d811s-s. m a movie lover and i really want the booming sounds of its 120 x 6. medyo good enough naman ang pagitan ng mga houses dito sa amin kaya i can afford to place in the maximun level ang volume ng receiver ko, lalo when i watch war movies. hehehe! sa totoo lang para nga akong bingi eh, napakalakas talaga kasi naman i want to simulate the sound of the movie theater eh... ;D

with my style, what surround speakers should i get then?

secondly, follow up Q lang, ilang speakers ba ang pwede kong ikabit sa speaker output ng receiver ko?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Rnold

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 11:43 AM »
hey jerix,

i'm selling a wharfedale set of speakers (5.1) fronts, center and surround in case you might be interested.

with regards to your question of how many speakers can you connect in the speaker output of your receiver- you can only connect a pair or 1 speaker per left and right terminal. but you have the option to connect 1 or 2 more of you have the spiltter box speaker connection which still provides same number of ohms per speaker connected.

Check this out (Complete Home Theater Speaker Set)

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 01:15 PM »
Get Rnold's Wharfedale if you can negotiate for a good price. Brand new pair of Wharfedale 5.1 is about P5.5K. The center is about P5K. So for a complete set, that's only about 15-16K. Just get a good subwoofer to complete everything! I recommend here Dynaquest DQ-12 (and not the DQ120). If you've received huge Christmas bonus, get two Dynaquest subs so that you can really want to copy the excitement you get in theaters. Getting two subs is definitely better than hooking up more speakers (which might even damage your Pioneer receiver due to overload).

You can either experiment by putting the two subwoofers in front (one in each corners), or try putting one in a front corner, and the other one in a rear corner (connected in parallel with your rear channels). Bahala ka na alin dito sa dalawang configurations ang mas type mo. But do it in actual first then decide which one you like.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 02:18 PM »
hi arnoldc, audio_tyro!

Well thnx again...kabibili ko kc ung VSXD811s-s ngaung December for 21,999 kaya magsi-save na naman ako for the surround speaks. It seems na interested ako sa wharfedale ni arnold. Sana di pa mabenta before i earn the money for that. nakaindicate don sa price is 9,500, and that is for 5 surround speakers and the passive sub?

Where can i buy the speaker splitter connection?

what happens sa OVERLOADING? if i hook three 40 w sUrround speakers which is equivalent to the 120 w output of my surround speaks, overload pa rin ba tol?

Thnx! hehehe! baka kelangan na akong mag-tuition sa inyo mga tols.. ;D

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2002 at 03:25 PM »
No need to buy splitters if you just complete the speaker outputs (I'm assuming 6.1 ang Pioneer mo):
Left front speaker
Center speaker
Right front speaker
Rear left speaker
Rear center speaker
Rear right speaker
so all in all, anim itong ikakabit mo dun sa receiver mo, tig-iisa sila bawat saksakan dun sa likod. Yong .1 is referring to the subwoofer kaya 6.1. Splitter is needed when you hook two more front speakers from the same speaker outs of your receiver. But I would discourage you doing this. It's not sensible. Get subwoofers instead of adding more speakers.

Kung passive sub ang kasama, bili ka pa rin ng isang active sub. Better ang active sub. Go get a Dynaquest DQ12. Meron din ang Daichi if you really want that brand. Ang bagong subs nila eh they call it "US Audio" subwoofer. Meron silang 8-in,  10- and 12- inch drivers. Mamili ka na lang alin ang mas type mo. I think 12-in. driver ang magugutuhan mo kasi malakas yon.

Offline D75C

• Collector
  • Sounds good but it makes my coffee bitter.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2002 at 06:06 PM »
Imortant note on surround speakers:

Timbre (pronounced TAMBER) Matching - tonal qualities of all your speakers should be the same on all speakers. So when the sound pans from front to back or left to right, there wont be any change in tone. This is why it's suggested that you maintain the same brand and model for your home theater speakers.

I assume you already own a pair of B&W DM603s. If your budget permits, buy another pair of 603s or you can get B&W's Dipolar Surrounds, model is DS6. They would sound more spacious in your small room.

Going full range on all spakers is really worth it. However spending for extra subs can really kill your wallet. Should you buy another sub, try hooking it up to your center speaker instead of the surrounds. Since 80% of all  sound information is found in the cener, it would be a lot better if you put it there.
You wonder why it still not good enough after spending P1M.

Offline alita

• Collector
  • resistance is futile
  • Liked:
surrounds: 6.1 or 5.1 with bipoles/dipoles
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2003 at 11:06 AM »
assuming you would be spending roughly the same amount of money, do you prefer 3 direct radiating speakers or 2 bipolar/diploar speakers for your surrounds?

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re:surrounds: 6.1 or 5.1 with bipoles/dipoles
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 02:27 AM »
assuming you would be spending roughly the same amount of money, do you prefer 3 direct radiating speakers or 2 bipolar/diploar speakers for your surrounds?

It will all depend on how you will use your HT system.  You can use Dipolar surrounds if you will use your HT primarily for viewing movies but if you are into 5.1 or 6.1 channel music reproduction then go for direct radiating speakers. I for one use my HT system for viewing movies only. For music I still prefer using 2 channel stereo.

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 11:27 AM »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 11:28 AM »
Ano ginagamit sa rear center? center speakers din ba or pwede rin yung ginagamit for fronts or surround?
Walang Setup

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 12:07 PM »
Ano ginagamit sa rear center? center speakers din ba or pwede rin yung ginagamit for fronts or surround?

I suggest you use the same speaker that you use for your center channel.

I am using this as my rear center channel.

It has the same specs as my center channel but in a different enclosure custom made so as the drivers be directed to the listener. ;D

I don't have as much space behind me to place a rear center speaker so this was mounted a little above my head thus explaining the enclosure design.  ;)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 01:08 PM »

I suggest you use the same speaker that you use for your center channel.

I am using this as my rear center channel.

It has the same specs as my center channel but in a different enclosure custom made so as the drivers be directed to the listener. ;D

I don't have as much space behind me to place a rear center speaker so this was mounted a little above my head thus explaining the enclosure design.  ;)

Ic, tenks mel ehehehe..problema ko kasi malaki yung center channel speakers ko eh..tapos kung ganun din bibilhin ko..san ko naman ilalagay yun sa likod ehehehehe tenks again doc.
Walang Setup

Offline wlc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
good surround budget speakeks
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2005 at 03:12 AM »
hi guys!

i'm new here, can you guys recomend a good speakers but not so expensive. i've read through this forum and i think da-ichi or boston accoustics are on my budget. please recomend more so i can choose. it doesn't have to be too loud cause all i'm after is clarity with a little bass.

by the way i'll be putting those in my living room which is not so big cause it's a condo unit. and if possible can be installed from the ceiling. ang gusto ko kasi talage ay yung hindi nakikita yung mga speakers pero pag nanood ako ng movie ay maganda yung tunog. is this possible?

thank you guys!