Author Topic: PC LCD to TV?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline mahavishnu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PC LCD to TV?
« on: Jan 02, 2007 at 04:27 AM »
Hi, Im a newbie here and i dont know if i posted this under the correct sub-forum. I was wondering if there's a way to use LCD monitors as a TV without using a PC with tv/video card. I just want to plug my console directly on the monitor. Can you DIY your way around this?

I appreciate any inputs  :)

Great forum btw, lots to learn  :)

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
Re: PC LCD to TV?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2007 at 02:14 PM »
You'll probably need a few more devices.

An RF de-modulator with TV tuner  to take input from BNC-75ohm-coax signal to output composite/RCA video and audio. For the cheapest, find a surplus shop.  Also Try Radio Shack or use an old VCR/VHS player (probably the cheapest option). 

Then you need a device to convert RCA video to VGA or DVI.  (try monoprice.com, google the net for this, it exists). 

For audio, connect to an amp or PC speakers that support the input from the de-modulator (RCA).

note:  an RF modulator is the opposite, takes RCA/composite video+audio as input, outputs to BNC-75ohm-coax (usually channel 3 or 4).  Use this to connect a video player (DVD,VHS) to a [really old] TV that only accepts BNC-75ohm-coax as input.

Hi, Im a newbie here and i dont know if i posted this under the correct sub-forum. I was wondering if there's a way to use LCD monitors as a TV without using a PC with tv/video card. I just want to plug my console directly on the monitor. Can you DIY your way around this?

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2007 at 02:31 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2007 at 04:01 PM »

You mean a game console like the xbox360 or PS3?

I think the xbox 360 has a VGA terminal out you can connect to any LCD PC monitor directly via VGA.  And there are also DVD players with VGA out you can connect directly to the LCD PC monitor.  For audio, just use your stereo inputs of a stereo or HT system, unless the LCD PC monitor comes with built in speakers on the sides.

It's the TV tuner that will be problematic and a hurdle to connect as in the post above
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2007 at 04:04 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline rmpmla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2007 at 11:56 PM »

ganito ba hanap mo?

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=723516

Offline mahavishnu

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 02:01 AM »
ganito ba hanap mo?

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=723516

its not showing anything

You'll probably need a few more devices.

An RF de-modulator with TV tuner  to take input from BNC-75ohm-coax signal to output composite/RCA video and audio. For the cheapest, find a surplus shop.  Also Try Radio Shack or use an old VCR/VHS player (probably the cheapest option). 

Then you need a device to convert RCA video to VGA or DVI.  (try monoprice.com, google the net for this, it exists). 

yep i think thats what im looking for.. to convert RCA video to VGA DVI  :) is there such? i ll try to google it

You mean a game console like the xbox360 or PS3?

I think the xbox 360 has a VGA terminal out you can connect to any LCD PC monitor directly via VGA.  And there are also DVD players with VGA out you can connect directly to the LCD PC monitor. 

yep a gaming console PS3 , PS2 or WII. and any other device that uses the basic RCA vid. isnt there an LCD monitor that has a RCA vid in or S VIDEO?

thanks for all the reply!

Offline rmpmla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 07:45 AM »
na-erase yung post ;D

but basically it is an external TV tuner which you can connect to a monitor with VGA input. it also accepts input where you can connect your game console,

try to google for gadmei LCD TV box 5820e

or  http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=724724

Offline mahavishnu

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2007 at 02:55 PM »
cool! its cheaper than expected  ;D  someone tried this already? how was it?

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2007 at 09:27 AM »
http://x2vga.com

i've got one of this.... and it works great! (from my xbox - or you can use any other devices with component out)....  :D

Offline t0ol_46n2

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 12:21 AM »
http://x2vga.com

i've got one of this.... and it works great! (from my xbox - or you can use any other devices with component out)....  :D

Where can you buy these locally? ANd how much does these cost?

I read the website, pero parang outdated yata, it does not mention support for ps3 and xbox360.

Have you tried it with the current gen consoles? (ps3, xbox360)

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 02:05 AM »
Where can you buy these locally? ANd how much does these cost?

I read the website, pero parang outdated yata, it does not mention support for ps3 and xbox360.

Have you tried it with the current gen consoles? (ps3, xbox360)

They don't need to mention the newer consoles as it would work as long as you've got a device with component out....  ;D for PS3 using HDMI, syempre wala talagang magagawa. Component lang.

I bought it online. No local dealers as far as  I know.   :o