Author Topic: How can you tell if an R3 title is DVD5 or DVD9?  (Read 21924 times)

Offline Gambit1976

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • pusoy dos...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How can you tell if an R3 title is DVD5 or DVD9?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 29, 2010 at 09:42 PM »
to paraphrase Fat Makoy's remarks in this thread way back 2008, I'm sure learning a lot! relatively newbie din ako dito (started Dec. 2009) and before that didn't know squat about this (expensive!) hobby (R1, R3, DVD5, DVD9 etc.)  Ngayon medyo di na ako maloloko hehehe... (sorry intro lang, first post na non-marketplace hehe.)  ;D

Sir Techdude (or the other gurus here), am I correct in assuming that those 99 peso DVDs from Paragon of old 80's movies na nakikita ko sa Astro are those you mentioned before which are to be avoided like the plague?  May mga 80's movies that I would like to revisit or watch (nostalgia reasons or haven't watched them yet hehe) like "Black Moon Rising" or "Philadephia Experiment" na Paragon na 99 pesos lang.  Kunin ko na sana pero naalala ko itong thread na ito kaya nagdalawang isip ako hehehe.  Kinikilatis ko yung case pero walang indication na DVD5 or DVD9 eh (or di ko lang nakita.)  Sealed din kasi kaya di makita yung disc mismo.  99 pesos din naman kasi yun para i-risk subukan hehehe.  Kung bibilhin mo rin kasi sa Amazon eh mga 10 dollars din yun...  :P

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM »
Sir Techdude (or the other gurus here), am I correct in assuming that those 99 peso DVDs from Paragon of old 80's movies na nakikita ko sa Astro are those you mentioned before which are to be avoided like the plague?  May mga 80's movies that I would like to revisit or watch (nostalgia reasons or haven't watched them yet hehe) like "Black Moon Rising" or "Philadephia Experiment" na Paragon na 99 pesos lang.  Kunin ko na sana pero naalala ko itong thread na ito kaya nagdalawang isip ako hehehe.  Kinikilatis ko yung case pero walang indication na DVD5 or DVD9 eh (or di ko lang nakita.)  Sealed din kasi kaya di makita yung disc mismo.  99 pesos din naman kasi yun para i-risk subukan hehehe.  Kung bibilhin mo rin kasi sa Amazon eh mga 10 dollars din yun...  :P

It boils down to how much you like the movie and how much of a collector you are.  Those Paragon discs are DVD5s, and picture quality is less than perfect, I encountered a couple where it's VCD quality or worse (Look at the separate Paragon thread).  I had avoided their releases since then, although I really doubt their quality had improved.

Back to your Q, as you said its 99 only, and if you had the cash to spare, and just want to relive the 80s moment, then you may be satisfied with the tradeoff (especially if you are viewing it on a small screen).  Just be sure that it is the same movie, kasi with another distributor (Ivory), they are releasing B-movies with same titles as Hollywood productions, so you might be gypped.   Just set your expectation low, and consider the 99 an expense, then you might not be disappointed...

There are Paragon releases (especially their local movies/TV series) which might be worth owning, since it's the only way to get them, low Picture quality not withstanding...

If you take the plunge, get it one at a time, then report back so that others may be warned (or not)...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Gambit1976

• Collector
  • pusoy dos...
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 30, 2010 at 11:29 AM »
hmm oo nga sir.  thanks for the nice perspective.  I'll try to buy one if I pass by Astro again when I have the chance.  At the very least, para ma-warn yung mga ibang members, though as you said, I'll try not set my expectations too high (packaging pa nga lang, medyo mag-iisip ka na, kahit 99 pesos sya hehe.)

Offline Gambit1976

• Collector
  • pusoy dos...
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 09, 2010 at 11:59 AM »
Update: recently bought the Black Moon Rising and Philadelphia Experiment Paragon DVDs at buy 1 take 1 for 125 (hehehe presyong Jack sparrow) kasi napadaan sa festi astro.  As expected, the titles were non-widescreen and stereo sound only.  :P  Pero ok na rin for the price.  Just wanted to watch the movies anyway.   ;D