Author Topic: Help...Need a small bookshelf speaker to wall mount. Your favorite....  (Read 1484 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Am looking at auditioning some bookshelf type speakers for my 5.1 set up.  Room is pretty big 4 x 8 meters.

Am now setting up for the family room a small  set up as I need to wall mount a 5.1.  My budget is about 30,000 for speakers alone (full 5.1) as I have an  old onkyo reciever( to be replaced in the future) and a new Sony DVD player..  I could  consider buying HTIB type of set up or seperates..bookshelves as long as they are real small and have wall mounts.

Wattage  should be between 70 - 100. 

The 5.1 will be predominantly for music and only  little HT so am really leaning towards bookshelf type speakers.  Did a demo of the JBL SCS 188 (25,000 peso ) simply cinema series and the infinity Beta HCS sattelite ( 43,000 peso ) .  Both these were matched to the HK AVR 140 or 240.  The sound was not impressive.  That was probably because of the weak AVR?  I have been encouraged to demo those again with a different receiver.

Demoed the mission m30i at about 9,000 peso per pair and they did sound pretty good.

PSB Alpha intro sounded pretty good.  Solid little bookshelf type.  5.1 at 47,000 is good but just over the budget?

Also looked at all the other commercial HTIB by  by pioneer, sony,JVC, hitatchi, samsung, and all the rest but IMHO they really sound fair at best. .  Confidence levels in these  are not pretty high.

The denon series of wall mount sats and the onkyos (HTIB) are nice looking but again... and are of quetionable quality for music.

The JBL SCS 200 (htib) looks pretty interesting but have not yey demoed it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/JBL_SCS200_7_home_theater_speaker_system/4505-7868_7-31048527.html

Any opinions on the above mentioned units?

Have you a recommendation on a bookshelf type  that is wall mountable?

WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FAVORITE OF CHOICE AND WHERE COULD I DEMO IT?

Have a good day.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline baboinsky

• Apprentice
  • I don't want no teenage queen, I just want my M14
  • Liked:
Where did you audition the Mission and PSB speakers?  I went to Upscale Park Square yesterday and they didn't have mission speakers in stock.

Thanks!

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Where did you audition the Mission and PSB speakers?  I went to Upscale Park Square yesterday and they didn't have mission speakers in stock.

Thanks!

Newly opened shop ..."Audiovox" on  fourth floor edsa shang just next to sights and sounds.  If you go bring a CD to audition the speakers as they only have mellow classical CD's and that did not allow me to test base responce.

I believe that sights and sounds also has mission speakers as well.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Am looking at auditioning some bookshelf type speakers for my 5.1 set up.  Room is pretty big 4 x 8 meters.

Demoed the mission m30i at about 9,000 peso per pair and they did sound pretty good.

I used to have an Onkyo - Mission setup in my bedroom. Its a perfect match IMO.

I also remembered eating out w/ a friend in a restaurant in Magallanes and was so impressed w/ the quality of music. I looked for the speaker and guess what I found....

Mission M30 hanging on the ceiling.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
If you can stretch your budget and want audiophile quality sound, look no further than Castle satellite speakers. Very good specially in music, perfect for vocals, even with tubes!  :o

Its sealed type so you can place near walls and its freq cut off is 80hz, perfect w/ subs.

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
I used to have an Onkyo - Mission setup in my bedroom. Its a perfect match IMO.

I also remembered eating out w/ a friend in a restaurant in Magallanes and was so impressed w/ the quality of music. I looked for the speaker and guess what I found....

Mission M30 hanging on the ceiling.

Just got back from demoing the wharfdale diamond 9 compact cinema 5.1 and must say it was a very good sounding (18,000 peso)  system. Speakers were matched up with an Onkyo receiver. These speakers   Beat up most of the HTIB offered by the major commercial brands that specialize in Audio&video packages.  They are solid speakers and pretty heavy as well.  Nice looking.  The sub is only 100 watt but sounds like it is only 50 watts????????   Perhaps it was the positioning of the speakers themselves. For the money I thought there was great value there.  The surrounds are the same drivers as the fronts but the speaker is thinner and shaped oblong like. That is a nice feature for asthetics but the wall mounting is flat screw type..not the swivel type that I personally need for my room.  Will consider outsourcing a wall bracket from perfect view.  (only the fronts had a swivel bracket and that itself was only fair).

If you are considering a HTIB speaker package for a budget of under 20,000 this must be on your list to demo.  It really did impress.  IMHO You will not look at pioneer samsung panasonic etc. etc. after hearing these.

Now just after the demo of the wharfs I went next door and demoed the Mission m30i ( for the second time) how ever this time I brought with me  CD in hand.  I jammed the Allman brothers Statesboro Blues > In memory of Elizabeth reed.  I demoed just the two speakers with out a sub or center.  The quality of the speaker was excellent.  No sub was required  for music as the base responce was just enough.  I mean these speakers were just 2 SWEEEEET.  Makes me wanna push up the budget a bit.  Full 5.1 system with sub and center was 44,000 more than double the wharfdale.  I am hard pressed for cash right now. 

Researched the Castle minature....... and as you stated in another thread the castles are about 22,000 a pair.   OUCH!    Do not think I will demo those as the pain will be more than I can bare. ;).....financially.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best compact speaker package award by "What Hifi "  in the 500-900 (BRITISH POUND STERLING ) OR PESO EQUIVALENT..40,000 TO 80,000 PESO2004/2005/06?

I believe THIS SYSTEM IS AVAILABLE NOW FOR UNDER 20,000 PESO!!!!!

Any of you folks own or ever demo this system. 

ANY of you own it?

what do you know about it?

Need your opinion!

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3604&aid=35011&oid=4211

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/224/v/1/sp/

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/WhatHiFi.asp

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007 at 06:35 PM by dannielsimone »
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I believe you can still ask for a better cash price for the Mission M30's. Look around other shops that carry Missions.