Author Topic: 2007 Brands Comparison Thread: Sony Bravia S Series 40" or Toshiba 37WL66E 37?  (Read 46208 times)

Offline allenwfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philips 37PF7321 vs. Toshiba 37WL66
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 10:06 AM »
forgive my ignorance but this is the part that i don't get. the salesperson pointed this out to allen and me as well yesterday when trying to sell the philips. why is this important if i may ask? the way i see it, we won't be scratching/touching the screen while watching and as mentioned above, would stay 5~6 feet away from the tv.

same sentiments, unless you have plans of throwing your wii at your lcd tv or use your hand poking at it the whole day... in the end it wouldnt affect my buying decisions..
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007 at 11:15 AM by allenwfc »
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 10:22 AM »
same sentiments, unless you have plans of throwing your wii at your lcd tv or use your hand poking at it the whole day... in the end it would affect my buying decisions..

but if you accidentally throw your wii controller at the screen, wouldn't the glass surface of the philips and other tvs break? i would think that the other non-glass protected LCD TVs might leave a mark on the LCD (ouch!! if that happens) but at least you won't be staring at broken glass (ouch, ouch!!!).

i might be making a fool of myself here but that's how i see it.

anyway, my 2 sentimos, it shldn't make any difference what screen surface they use...

well, unless glaring would be an issue.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 11:16 AM »
but if you accidentally throw your wii controller at the screen, wouldn't the glass surface of the philips and other tvs break? i would think that the other non-glass protected LCD TVs might leave a mark on the LCD (ouch!! if that happens) but at least you won't be staring at broken glass (ouch, ouch!!!).

anyway, my 2 sentimos, it shldn't make any difference what screen surface they use...

sori, typo... was suppose to say "wouldn't" :p
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 11:35 AM »
forgive my ignorance but this is the part that i don't get. the salesperson pointed this out to allen and me as well yesterday when trying to sell the philips. why is this important if i may ask? the way i see it, we won't be scratching/touching the screen while watching and as mentioned above, would stay 5~6 feet away from the tv.

i don't think it matters when it comes to picture quality... but it does say much about the construction  of the unit.

let's face it... accidents happen... especially during transport of the unit. (hey! we all move our TVs around... especially during spring cleaning and room redecoration/renovation.) just because you sit 5 feet away most of the time doesn't mean you'll never get close to a TV. maybe not you would break it, but an overzealous houseguest during a rowdy party or a household help that isn't as careful when cleaning stuff around the house could. you can never tell.

same sentiments, unless you have plans of throwing your wii at your lcd tv or use your hand poking at it the whole day... in the end it wouldnt affect my buying decisions..

it would mine. for that amount of money, i would want to buy a sturdier TV than one that's fragile. small touches like this, for me, speaks volumes about how the manufacturer wants the unit to last. why spend thousands of pesos on a TV that delivers great pictures but has inadequate construction? and anyway, who said only you can do the poking?? anyone who has had kids around the house know that little children love to bang on things that fascinate them...

if the impact of a console controller would be strong enough to break the plexi ... then i doubt the LCD of the other "thinner plexied" models would even survive from a similar situation. with the thicker plexi, you at least have a chance it would.

it makes a difference to me ... and that's my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007 at 11:48 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 12:00 PM »
i don't think it matters when it comes to picture quality... but it does say much about the construction  of the unit.

let's face it... accidents happen... especially during transport of the unit. (hey! we all move our TVs around... especially during spring cleaning and room redecoration/renovation.) just because you sit 5 feet away most of the time doesn't mean you'll never get close to a TV. maybe not you would break it, but an overzealous houseguest during a rowdy party or a household help that isn't as careful when cleaning stuff around the house could. you can never tell.

it would mine. for that amount of money, i would want to buy a sturdier TV than one that's fragile. small touches like this, for me, speaks volumes about how the manufacturer wants the unit to last. why spend thousands of pesos on a TV that delivers great pictures but has inadequate construction? and anyway, who said only you can do the poking?? anyone who has had kids around the house know that little children love to bang on things that fascinate them...

if the impact of a console controller would be strong enough to break the plexi ... then i doubt the LCD of the other "thinner plexied" models would even survive from a similar situation. with the thicker plexi, you at least have a chance it would.

it makes a difference to me ... and that's my 2 cents.

i'd just like to point also, the main reason why it isnt a big issue for me, is because most "better image"  lcd's are also constructed more sturdier, thus are more resistant to the typical light hearted "poking" .... plus, on a side note.. a live a bachelor life.. so i dont have any else except guests to poke the tv around.

any lcd hurled by a wii controller would most probably suffer damage... i was just humoring the wii strap issue when i said that line :)

anyways, when your choosing between any of the newer model lcd's fromt he big brands.. some brands/models are naturally more "sturdier" than others, but the less sturdier ones.. dont mean they are fragile and will break when a kid accidentally pokes it.

bottomline, if a force is strong enough to damage a modern day lcd, any of those glossy finish, double layer lcd's would also suffer damage.. probably a bit less... but still be damage

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 12:24 PM »
i'd just like to point also, the main reason why it isnt a big issue for me, is because most "better image"  lcd's are also constructed more sturdier, thus are more resistant to the typical light hearted "poking" .... plus, on a side note.. a live a bachelor life.. so i dont have any else except guests to poke the tv around.

any lcd hurled by a wii controller would most probably suffer damage... i was just humoring the wii strap issue when i said that line :)

anyways, when your choosing between any of the newer model lcd's fromt he big brands.. some brands/models are naturally more "sturdier" than others, but the less sturdier ones.. dont mean they are fragile and will break when a kid accidentally pokes it.

bottomline, if a force is strong enough to damage a modern day lcd, any of those glossy finish, double layer lcd's would also suffer damage.. probably a bit less... but still be damage

like i already said, if i'm spending a fair amount of money on something ... every bit of advantage i can get, i'll take.

to generalize that most "better image" LCDs are sturdier, is a bit premature don't you think? even i am still apprehensive and doubtful if an LCD would last as long as a CRT one. (which would explain why i took a 2-year extended warranty. lol.) i dunno about you, but the fact that a simple light run of the finger leaves a mark, it set my alarm bells ringing.

you live a bachelor life and never had guests that felt a little too "at home"? awww... come on. i think we've all had moments like those whether we're a bachelor or not. ;)

ohhhh... it was "humorous poke" at the wii strap issue... so that's what it was. ha ha... got it.  :)

BTW, the philips doesn' have a glossy finish... there's no glare it's just really thicker, that's all.

yes. i agree...no matter what TV you choose, some care must be made so that it lasts longer.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007 at 01:48 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 12:42 PM »
like i already said, if i'm spending a fair amount of money on something ... every bit of advantage i can get, i'll take.

to generalize that all "better image" LCDs are sturdier, is a bit premature don't you think? i dunno about you, but the fact that simple light run of the finger leaves a mark, it set my alarm bells ringing.

you live a bachelor life and never had guests that felt a little too "at home"? awww... come on. i think we've all had moments like those whether we're a bachelor or not. ;)

ohhhh... it was "humorous poke" at the wii strap issue... so that's what it was. ha ha... got it.  :)

BTW, the philips doesn' have a glossy finish... there's no glare it's just really thicker, that's all.

yes. i agree...no matter what TV you choose, some care must be made so that it lasts longer.

on the better image lcd are sturdier... its a generalization, but yes i find it to be true... i think what differs between us is our threshold for what counts as sturdy ;) 

on the trail mark.. im used to the effect already ever since i got my first laptop year ago.. i have a natural habit of touching and poking it  all day.. and i dont seem to notice my lcd getting damaged or more prone to damage.. hel, that particular laptop motherboard died out twice and the lcd still works fine...

hmm.. im just so used to the trail marks so much, that i dont really use it as a definitive basis for "sturdiness" of a lcd. this probably where we differ most in opinion :)

well.. i make it appoint... to have guests stay in a diff. room is possible :P but of course all that "socializing" can take you diff. rooms.. one just has to be careful. ^^

you should watch the videos and pic of those flying wii's good laugh haha

phillips, does have thicker panels and the qualities good.. no complaint from me on that front :)

amen on last line!! ;D

Offline switi

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 01:21 PM »
to put it simply, the glass coating in the philips is not really the selling point here.

the selling points of the philips are:
  1. good quality panels like samsung (samsung is the world's biggest manufacturer, lg philips 2nd)
  2. analog tuner is superb than more expensive ones
  3. 70k with out freebies
  4. 12-24 months 0% interest
  5. pq is the same or better than more expensive ones (with a little tweaking almost all lcdtv's can be very good to view with hd sources)
  6. single tuner pip
  7. 65 watts power consumption!
  8. with 2 hdmi ports

cons:
  silver color
  setting up tv channels is laborious ( but i enjoyed naming channnels)
  onboard sound is just ok (but hey it is connected to my 7.1 ht)

i am not here to convince you to buy a philips, its your money so you decide. wink wink
yamaha rxv640 PS3 B&W 602 egreat34a wdtv panapv8 and now XTREAMER

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 01:28 PM »
good points and good healthy discussion!

anyway, i guess that the extra protection that the plexi glass gives on the philips is a plus but that wouldn't sway me on choosing it over the competition.

i think that what we perceive as better construction is a matter of taste. to each his own. personally, i find the build quality/construction of the N71 better than the philips lcd that i saw. but that's just me. ;)

also, lucky for me that there have been no accidents involving my good ol' CRT tv during parties at my place. knock on wood!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 01:56 PM »
i am not here to convince you to buy a philips, its your money so you decide. wink wink

exactly!... all points raised are based on personal preferences and experiences. to question them is just plain ridiculous.

and anyway, i never implied it was of major importance ... but rather an observation that i chose to factor into my decision making process. i stated it as "matter-of-fact"... you are free to take it as it is.

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 02:12 PM »
exactly!... all points raised are based on personal preferences and experiences. to question them is just plain ridiculous.

and anyway, i never implied it was of major importance ... but rather an observation that i chose to factor into my decision making process. i stated it as "matter-of-fact"... you are free to take it as it is.

yep, apologies for putting you on the spot. i was only wondering why the salesperson made the plexiglass of the philips as a big selling point to the extent of putting down other lcds due to it. wasn't able to ask him since we were on our way to the N71 at that time. was busy ogling the other samsung gadgets.  ;D ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
no problem... but i know what you mean. sometimes kasi we need to take the opinions of salespeople at "face value"... ultimately naman, it's you, the consumer, who decides which features are important to you and which ones you can live without. ;)

by the way, i am a fan of samsung products as well... but having owned and used several samsung PC LCDs in the past, i was a little disappointed at how their LCD TVs were not at par (construction-wise) with their PC counterparts. especially considering that they charge a premium price for it.

color-wise, i have no beef with samsung. maganda talaga ... it's just their lack of attention to small details like these particular ones i pointed out that disappoint me.

in fact ... our original choice to get was the 32" widescreen HD-ready samsung CRT TV... but the philips offer was just too good to pass up.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007 at 09:41 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 05:43 PM »
no problem... but i know what you mean. sometimes kasi we need to take the opinions of salespeople at "face value"... ultimalty naman, it's you, the consumer, who decides which features are important to you and which ones you can live without. ;)

One thing we have to remember is with all these big appliance stores, most of the sales staff are promodizers of the individual brands.  Hence, the Samsung, Sharp, LG, Philips etc. promodizers will obviously promote their products and put down the others. 

Like Spaceman said, we have to take their comments at face value and see for ourselves what we like.

Offline switi

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 06:15 PM »
he he he happy place.

i might buy a samsung sa march, pag nakakupit kay mrs. bigay ko sa bunso yung philips. the reason i didn't get the samsung was the price, 70(philips) vs 109(n71). between the philips and s71, r71 samsung, sa philips ako, but the n71 is a different case. for the same price, the n71 is better.
yamaha rxv640 PS3 B&W 602 egreat34a wdtv panapv8 and now XTREAMER

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 06:23 PM »
he he he happy place.

i might buy a samsung sa march, pag nakakupit kay mrs. bigay ko sa bunso yung philips. the reason i didn't get the samsung was the price, 70(philips) vs 109(n71). between the philips and s71, r71 samsung, sa philips ako, but the n71 is a different case. for the same price, the n71 is better.

why not accelerate your purchase by 1 week and buy with us? :)

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=63423.0

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 10:50 AM »
he he he happy place.

Hmm... since Im considering the r71, does that mean I should consider buying the Philips?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 02:15 PM »
my advice... read the comments and go to the shops... let your eyes and budget make the decision.  ;D

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 10:11 AM »
According to my friend at Abenson, Festival Mall, Philips LCD TV's are their best seller.

Offline Jett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 12:22 AM »

Abenson's Galleria has the Philips 32PF7321, Sony 32V200A, the Samsung S model and a Sharp 32" (didn't note the model) one side by side just in case you want to see them.

Offline Maulller

• Apprentice
  • Outer Haven
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 12:52 AM »
@spaceman/switi

were you able to use the philips tv as computer monitors? hows the picture quality, especially with pc games? the philips seems like a good buy :)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 05:54 AM »
yes... i have. quality was okay considering it uses the regular 15-pin d-sub. but the maximum resolution is 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz (a 4:3 screen ratio) ... so for someone like me that uses bigger resolutions on my PC ... i don't really use it as a monitor.

i haven't tried it on an dvi to HDMI connection though (but i was able to find a converter na... at park square. didn't buy it though.) .... so the picture might be better than on the d-sub.  ;D

might try it using the component cable my video card came with soon... hopefully the picture will be better as well.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007 at 05:59 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 05:57 AM »
Abenson's Galleria has the Philips 32PF7321, Sony 32V200A, the Samsung S model and a Sharp 32" (didn't note the model) one side by side just in case you want to see them.

hello jett. did you pick up one na? which one did you decide on?

Offline Maulller

• Apprentice
  • Outer Haven
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 01:13 PM »
yes... i have. quality was okay considering it uses the regular 15-pin d-sub. but the maximum resolution is 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz (a 4:3 screen ratio) ... so for someone like me that uses bigger resolutions on my PC ... i don't really use it as a monitor.

i haven't tried it on an dvi to HDMI connection though (but i was able to find a converter na... at park square. didn't buy it though.) .... so the picture might be better than on the d-sub.  ;D

might try it using the component cable my video card came with soon... hopefully the picture will be better as well.

thanks bro. so its only a 4.3 screen ratio. i thought it could display wide screen :) let me know if it can display wide screen with the component cable connection for your video card. thanks!

Offline Jett

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 04:42 PM »
hello jett. did you pick up one na? which one did you decide on?

Howdy Spiff, I have not bought one yet. I'm leaning towards the Philips already  :) but I'm checking out the dimensions if it can fit in the cabinet that holds my current CRT TV. Mukhang di kasya so it looks like I have to consider reorganizing my room (or maybe setting it up in a separate room). I'm planning to visit Abenson's again this weekend though bringing along my burned DivX files and DVDs to test them :)

Slightly off-topic. I saw the newer Philips LCDs at Avant earlier today, the ones with Ambilight. I always wondered who would need such thing - medyo maganda talaga ang effect and somewhat adds to the "experience".

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 05:08 PM »
Slightly off-topic. I saw the newer Philips LCDs at Avant earlier today, the ones with Ambilight. I always wondered who would need such thing - medyo maganda talaga ang effect and somewhat adds to the "experience".

Useful naman ang Ambilight.  It's called a bias light, the most important function of which is to improve the viewer's perception of black and color temperature.  I use a cheap night light behind my TV, but my purpose is simply to reduce eye strain or "viewing fatigue". 

After a while, I noticed another pleasant effect:  even when the TV is off, the bias light gives the room a pleasant atmosphere.  Try it while listening to music.  Helps you get in a cozy mood.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007 at 05:28 PM by barrister »

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 04, 2007 at 08:12 AM »
I should have read this thread earlier on, but during my last auditions last night, I noticed that the philips 32pf7321 did fare well against the Samsungs especially with DVDs.  The only thing I dont like about it is its styling (which could be a deal breaker for my wife). 

Switi, just one thing regarding the Philips and Samsung for Cable viewing, considering Philips' good cable tuner, do you think the N71's tuner is comparable or is it really worlds apart? 

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 04, 2007 at 10:05 AM »
heh heh... the philips does look a little "old skool" next to the samsung models.

BTW, did samsung have a price drop? the n71b is PhP 79.990.00 na?

Offline Jett

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Mar 04, 2007 at 10:23 AM »
heh heh... the philips does look a little "old skool" next to the samsung models.

the Samsung did have a price drop. This makes my decision a bit tougher. I was planning to buy the Philips today but the price drop made me want to research more. Am about to go to Makati again. Hayyyy ... decisions decisions

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Mar 04, 2007 at 11:13 AM »

yes

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Mar 04, 2007 at 09:09 PM »
that's a huge price drop... did i compute that right, 30k nabawas from the old retail price?

bilis naman ata ng depreciation of their selling price ... i guess they just wanna move their stocks ASAP. (new models in the horizon?)
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2007 at 09:13 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »