Author Topic: Common Misconceptions About Plasma TVs  (Read 1552 times)

Offline tambutsoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007 at 09:37 PM by tambutsoo »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Re: Common Misconceptions About Plasma TVs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2007 at 01:39 PM »
Has anybody tried this plasma break-in DVD disc?

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/download_main.htm

From the author:

It is basically a set of 20 images that are 720p native resolution. The images are full screen colors so that the entire screen is 1 color at a time. The colors go from a white to a dark grey in 5 gradients, white to blue in 5 gradients, white to green in 5 gradients and white to red in five gradients.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2007 at 01:26 AM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
Mythbusting - Just the Facts on  Plasma TV Performance
White paper from IDC (a researcher for consumer technology), conducted by ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) technicians.  Sponsored by Pioneer Electronics.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/273087528Pioneer%20DTV%20White%20Paper%20-%20FINAL.pdf

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2007 at 12:21 PM by barrister »

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2007 at 04:31 PM »
Mythbusting - Just the Facts on  Plasma TV Performance
White paper from IDC (a researcher for consumer technology), conducted by ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) technicians.  Sponsored by Pioneer Electronics.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/273087528Pioneer%20DTV%20White%20Paper%20-%20FINAL.pdf

This white paper made me more confident in my purchase of a plasma tv. Thanks.

Offline apple_seed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 12:49 AM »
If I read it correctly, the white paper was dated as of 2005. I guess the comparisons made between LCDs & plasmas during that time favored plasmas since LCDs back then were quite new. But LCD technology has improved since 2005, any ideas if plasmas are still better than LCDs as of 2007? I havent decided if Id get a 42" plasma or lcd tv. :)

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 09:54 AM »
a fellow forumer barrister posted this link, http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.eu/research/introduction/

in the end you have to use your own judgement to choose which one fits your needs/eyes, if you feel lost between the two technology, decide based on picture quality na lang, since both tech have issues also (which are not necessarily translated to problems)

unless you just want to feel a winner in your decision when your choice tech becomes more popular, you cannot factor in future technological advancement because you're not benefitting from that but with only what you buy today, and who knows which one will be the leader, which may not necessarily be popular or better   ;)
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 02:01 PM »
If I read it correctly, the white paper was dated as of 2005. I guess the comparisons made between LCDs & plasmas during that time favored plasmas since LCDs back then were quite new. But LCD technology has improved since 2005, any ideas if plasmas are still better than LCDs as of 2007? I havent decided if Id get a 42" plasma or lcd tv. :)

No significant progress on both panels since 2005. 

These days, both are busy developing full HD resolution for smaller panels.  I'm sure that LCD and plasma makers are both aware that 1080p is an insignificant improvement for smaller screens --- they're only doing it because full HD is what the customer wants.  Ask the average flat panel shoppers what they think is the most important aspect in a flat panel's picture quality, and you'll invariably get the same answer:  RESOLUTION. 

According to the ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), the most important aspects of picture quality are:  1. contrast ratio, 2. color saturation, 3. color accuracy, and 4. resolution, in that order.  Resolution is the least important, yet the bandwagon seems to think the opposite. 

For LCDs, the next great thing will be the LED backlight:    http://uk.gizmodo.com/2006/09/08/samsung_40inch_led_lcd_tv.html  I'm a plasma owner, but I have an open mind.  Abangan natin ang LED backlit LCD panel, baka maganda talaga.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007 at 02:08 PM by barrister »