Author Topic: SAMSUNG/SONY March LCD GROUP BUY!!  (Read 22092 times)

Offline allenwfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SAMSUNG/SONY LCD GROUP BUY!!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 05:30 PM »
allenwfc and staind01,

are you guys from hell? you're such good demons!! just kidding.. the more you're pressuring me... :D

right on the spot staind01...just what im feeling and thinking now... though i might have missed a point there.. if it will be coming from SG it will be brought home by my brother not shipped through a courier or something... though still there is the risk that the problem of being damage as a check-in luggage...

allenwfc you have a very objective reasoning there... thanx for the help... im trying my luck here would you know the number of sony philippines service center that i could call?

what would you recommend, stretch out to R71 or S71 is acceptable?

im a deist.. comes with the teritory haha

here is sony's conatact number http://www.sony.com.ph/contact_us.asp
:)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #61 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 05:50 PM »
allenwfc and staind01,

are you guys from hell? you're such good demons!! just kidding.. the more you're pressuring me... :D

right on the spot staind01...just what im feeling and thinking now... though i might have missed a point there.. if it will be coming from SG it will be brought home by my brother not shipped through a courier or something... though still there is the risk that the problem of being damage as a check-in luggage...

i'm a hellspawn!!  ;D ;D

imma save P10K if i buy an N71 in dubai but, to tell u the truth, i didn't think twas worth it. now if i'll save P20K, i'd have taken a gamble! :)

there are no panny 60Us here and my bro-in-law was willing to bring it in as check-in luggage. but when i think of them conveyor belts in the airports, i squirm!! :(

like i said, this is just me. :)  u might be more adventurous. :P

Offline PUSH

• Collector
  • servant-leader!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:04 PM »
thanx guys i appreciate it...

is it true that the s200 is 65K at Sights and Sounds? it doesn't have freebies right?

im currently chatting withmy bro in sg and he wont make it in 2 weeks might come home by end of march.. and i dont think i could still wait for that... another point goes to group buy!

if ever i would go with you.. i could only stretch to R71 or S71... which is which?

if the N71 would get to 70K or 75K with freebies i might consider...
Registered PDVD member since Nov. 02, 2002 \m/

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:10 PM »
thanx guys i appreciate it...

is it true that the s200 is 65K at Sights and Sounds? it doesn't have freebies right?

im currently chatting withmy bro in sg and he wont make it in 2 weeks might come home by end of march.. and i dont think i could still wait for that... another point goes to group buy!

if ever i would go with you.. i could only stretch to R71 or S71... which is which?

if the N71 would get to 70K or 75K with freebies i might consider...

yes, 65k at sights and sounds, and also the ambassador store we are purchasing.

r71 and s71 differ on aesthetics and contrast... if you value these then get r71 if not get s71

i highly doubt the n71, would reach that value with freebies. thats well above a 30% discount...
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline PUSH

• Collector
  • servant-leader!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:15 PM »
just trying my luck on the N71 heheheh  ;D

phew! this is it!

guys, DEMONS! COUNT ME IN!!!
just let me know when, where and what time?!? i'll be there... i'll just make up my mind if i'll get R71, S71 or the S200

i'll be bringing home my baby immediately kasi i doubt if they will deliver.. i live in Sta.Rosa

by the way would you know if they will be giving freebies also with the S200?
Registered PDVD member since Nov. 02, 2002 \m/

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:37 PM »
just trying my luck on the N71 heheheh  ;D

phew! this is it!

guys, DEMONS! COUNT ME IN!!!
just let me know when, where and what time?!? i'll be there... i'll just make up my mind if i'll get R71, S71 or the S200

i'll be bringing home my baby immediately kasi i doubt if they will deliver.. i live in Sta.Rosa

by the way would you know if they will be giving freebies also with the S200?

cool,

time and date are still being discussed.

definetly no freebies if 32s200a at 65k :(

Offline ryuzaki_L

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:46 PM »
A bit off topic to what you guys have been discussing but..
Have you guys checked the specifications of the N71 in Samsung's website. I find it funny that it says the N71 can't do Progressive Scan but the R71 can. Is this a typo or is this for real?

Also, to connect your laptop to your pc you would need a vga cable right. Do you think they have any at ambassador? I figured I'd get one as well. And wouldn't a vga cable just do video, how about audio?
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:48 PM by ryuzaki_L »
Format Neutral
Blu-Ray: 4
HD DVD: 16
PS3 & 360 add-on

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:54 PM »
Have you guys checked the specifications of the N71 in Samsung's website. I find it funny that it says the N71 can't do Progressive Scan but the R71 can. Is this a typo or is this for real?

Also, to connect your laptop to your pc you would need a vga cable right. Do you think they have any at ambassador? I figured I'd get one as well. And would wouldn't a vga cable just do video, how about audio?

thats an interesting point, im guessing its a typo... since its highly doubtful that they would downgrade a higher end model lcd.

the vga cables can be grabbed of any computer shop, plus i dont think they have vga cables.

you might have to use the composite in for audio.. or something else... not sure on this... but id like to suggest you get dedicated speakers instead. if available to the budget.

alternatively you can buy an hdmi video card for your desktop and hook it up directly from there :)

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 07:02 PM »

Also, to connect your laptop to your pc you would need a vga cable right. Do you think they have any at ambassador? I figured I'd get one as well. And wouldn't a vga cable just do video, how about audio?

must be a typo.

yep, VGA for video to PC. then headphone out to your PC spkrs.

also, if i remember correctly, i think it has digital optical output going to your AMP/RECEIVER. lemme check the specs again.

Offline tylerdude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 10:52 PM »
are there any discounts for larger screens like 37/40/ 42 inch? i think samsung s71 is still expensive outside, at least 150k and the sony s200 is around 160k. medyo bitin pa kasi yung 32 inch eh.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 07:11 AM »
how far away from your tv are you going to watch? when you're considering 37" and above this is where it gets confusing between lcd and plasma, isip isip ;)
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline tylerdude

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 09:17 AM »
around 8-9 ft. what is the ideal size with that viewing distance? bka il get a 42 inch toshiba kasi. mahal pa ng 40 inches ng sony and samsung.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 09:43 AM »
at that distance you should get the 40-42" already to enjoy the 16:9 aspect ratio

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 10:07 AM »
are there any discounts for larger screens like 37/40/ 42 inch? i think samsung s71 is still expensive outside, at least 150k and the sony s200 is around 160k. medyo bitin pa kasi yung 32 inch eh.

yes there are,

just subtract 20% off for the the larger sized models for samsung.. the sony im still trying to figure out exactly how the mechanics work.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM »
Im really torn now as to what model to get.  I was eyeing the r71 but it seems that not everyone is thrilled about its PQ.  Is the difference really noticeable between the r71 and the n71 in terms of PQ.  Lets throw the Sony S200 and V200 into the picture.  Its really tiresome to audition them considering that the input they are using is supposedly fully digital hence the appearance of a very clear picture. 

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:17 AM »
Im really torn now as to what model to get.  I was eyeing the r71 but it seems that not everyone is thrilled about its PQ.  Is the difference really noticeable between the r71 and the n71 in terms of PQ.  Lets throw the Sony S200 and V200 into the picture.  Its really tiresome to audition them considering that the input they are using is supposedly fully digital hence the appearance of a very clear picture. 

Thanks.

i personally have great difficulty telling the quality difference from 1 lcd panel from another and my orginal choice for purchase was the sonoma series. it was only because of the n71 price drop with discounts that changed my mind on my planned purchase...

hhmm..
one way to handle the situation is.. if your having a hard time telling the difference in picture quality between 1 lcd tv to another... without the opinions of others influencing your decision.. then that means you yourself cant see the diff. and there is no need to force yourself to find any.. it would be better to focus the aesthetics, features, budget, package, resale value and any other more tangible aspects :)

Offline tylerdude

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:34 AM »
yes there are,

just subtract 20% off for the the larger sized models for samsung.. the sony im still trying to figure out exactly how the mechanics work.

the samsung 40 inch s71 was actually offered to my by ansons at 130k cash (which is 20% off) plus i can still get the freebies. the thing i might have difficulty selling the 29 inch tv that comes with it.
if i sell it at 25k (conservative considering its retail price is 30k) then the tv comes out at around 125k. still quite steep since ambassador is offering the toshiba 42 inch at 95k only. yun nga lang, im not assured of the quality of service of toshiba but the picture quality seems okay to me. i havent compared it with the samsung s71 though.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:40 AM »
the samsung 40 inch s71 was actually offered to my by ansons at 130k cash (which is 20% off) plus i can still get the freebies. the thing i might have difficulty selling the 29 inch tv that comes with it.
if i sell it at 25k (conservative considering its retail price is 30k) then the tv comes out at around 125k. still quite steep since ambassador is offering the toshiba 42 inch at 95k only. yun nga lang, im not assured of the quality of service of toshiba but the picture quality seems okay to me. i havent compared it with the samsung s71 though.

at your budget and needs, get a 42 inch plasma.
i'm a bit biased towards the hitachi 9500ta @110-112k and 9800ta @ 120-132(depends greatly if your getting grey market model or not).
a good other alternative are the phillips, panasonic and pioneer plasma. the pioneer and panasonic are a bit pricey though.

if you got more budget get the 40 inch x series from sony or the 40 f71 from samsung. :)

if you, absolutely want more size and quality over other aspects, get yourself a 105 inch or more white screen and pair it wit the 1080p "optoma" projector (not sure if got brand right)
^^
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:46 AM by allenwfc »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:47 AM »
hhmm..
one way to handle the situation is.. if your having a hard time telling the difference in picture quality between 1 lcd tv to another... without the opinions of others influencing your decision.. then that means you yourself cant see the diff. and there is no need to force yourself to find any.. it would be better to focus the aesthetics, features, budget, package, resale value and any other more tangible aspects :)

You might not be able to tell the difference now, but there's a possibility that you will be able to do so and notice some flaws after a few months of use.  And there's the rub --- how will you know unless you actually use it in your own living room for a few months?

We're lucky to be able to hear the opinions of our expert members before buying.  After all, it is quite a big expense.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM by barrister »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM »
You might not be able to tell the difference now, but there's a possibility that you will be able to do so after a few months of use.  And there's the rub --- how will you know unless you actually use it in your own living room for a few months?

We're lucky to be able to hear the opinions of our expert members before buying.  After all, it is quite a big expense.

true, but its only a possibility of seeing a difference.. since it would require you to use different lcd's in the same living room.. each with there own setting and lighting and enviroemnt.. blah... blah..
it hurts... :P

hearing opinions is always good :)
though in the end its the buyer himself who needs to make the final decision.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
on a OT side note:

since we are growing slowly as a small group when we meet up on the weekend.

we could practically consider this a group buy EB!! haha

anyways, in order to get things moving...

you guys ok with sunday afternoon "buy" schedule, but we meet up first for late lunch "eb".. to discuss haggling tactics.. group speaker.. etc. etc. :)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 12:14 PM »
hearing opinions is always good :)
though in the end its the buyer himself who needs to make the final decision.

Korek!

Eto ang advice ko:   After buying it, don't read any more threads about LCD TVs.   ;D

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 12:46 PM »
on a OT side note:

since we are growing slowly as a small group when we meet up on the weekend.

we could practically consider this a group buy EB!! haha

anyways, in order to get things moving...

you guys ok with sunday afternoon "buy" schedule, but we meet up first for late lunch "eb".. to discuss haggling tactics.. group speaker.. etc. etc. :)

this is a good idea, this can grow into an active consumer rights activism that the country is really in dire need of, this is what made the open market of the US come into what it is today, members sharing information and letting the big businesses know that they cannot continue the way they do business.  if they can give a much lower price of the same tv to other countries why cant they do it here. ah yes of course the factories are there, but does shipping costs that much to price your tv 200-300% more? (just compare the prices here and the states, they dont have factories there too) and what about after sales support and warranty acknowledgement and duration?

anyway ot na, just couldnt resist ;)

Offline tylerdude

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 12:57 PM »
at your budget and needs, get a 42 inch plasma.
i'm a bit biased towards the hitachi 9500ta @110-112k and 9800ta @ 120-132(depends greatly if your getting grey market model or not).
a good other alternative are the phillips, panasonic and pioneer plasma. the pioneer and panasonic are a bit pricey though.

if you got more budget get the 40 inch x series from sony or the 40 f71 from samsung. :)

if you, absolutely want more size and quality over other aspects, get yourself a 105 inch or more white screen and pair it wit the 1080p "optoma" projector (not sure if got brand right)
^^

im leaning towards getting an lcd than a plasma kasi. i know picture quality is better in plasma but lcd is not far behind. besides, it seems lcd is really the technology to go with nowadays. plus energy consumption is better with lcd.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 01:06 PM »
power consumption is something to consider with our rates here in the phils, although plasma claim it doesnt consume a lot more than what lcd does, there is a difference yes, but if you view a lot of dark scenes more than bright ones (cartoons vs. suspense films), they may come out almost the same.

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 01:09 PM »
im leaning towards getting an lcd than a plasma kasi. i know picture quality is better in plasma but lcd is not far behind. besides, it seems lcd is really the technology to go with nowadays. plus energy consumption is better with lcd.

true, but since your buying "now".. at your price point the plasma is really the better buy in my opinion :)

but, hey if you want lcd... that good just get a 1080p model.. tapos pa-nood  sa inyo :D

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 01:23 PM »

Thanks.

was really gonna get the R71. i like its look better.

then i saw them side by side in the showroom playing the same source. the N71's picture was more vibrant. but this may have been due to the settings. the salesperson even controlled the XWCG(?) settings on the N71 and i was impressed with its tweakability. ;) but i wasn't sure if that alone is worth the extra dough.

with this deal though and the freebies included with the N71 (29" Slimfit CRT + MP3 player vs. 29" CRT), the price diff. wouldn't be that big. plus i'll get the supposedly better tv and the extra features (Wiselink, etc.). so i'm going for the N71.

but that's just me. :)

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 02:29 PM »
was really gonna get the R71. i like its look better.

then i saw them side by side in the showroom playing the same source. the N71's picture was more vibrant. but this may have been due to the settings. the salesperson even controlled the XWCG(?) settings on the N71 and i was impressed with its tweakability. ;) but i wasn't sure if that alone is worth the extra dough.

with this deal though and the freebies included with the N71 (29" Slimfit CRT + MP3 player vs. 29" CRT), the price diff. wouldn't be that big. plus i'll get the supposedly better tv and the extra features (Wiselink, etc.). so i'm going for the N71.

but that's just me. :)

True... 88k for n71 the slim fit and the mp3 player plus the discount for the ht does seem like a good bargain compared to 72k for r71, 29 inch flat (not slim fit) and the discount.  Actually it may come out to be the same price.  Ill have to sleep over it.  Hehe.  Tough decisions to be made. 

If we're able to sell the freebies for the n71 at 30k (25k + 5k - reduced price for sure sale) and the r71 at 15k,  the n71 will come out at roughly 58k and the r71 at roughly 57k.  I would agree, for the price difference, you should go for the n71.  Of course, you can sell it for SRP and the n71 will come out at roughly 50k and the r71 at 52k. 
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2007 at 02:33 PM by dips15 »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 02:39 PM »
@dips, ei thanks for the analysis, i just noticed i made some mistakes when i calculated the srp for the non-slim fit freebies :P

@everyone - please read the first post and check what stuff you need to confirm with me :)

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 03:56 PM »
Hmm... whatever I buy, I dont need to take it with home with me.  I dont want to even risk damaging it on my way home.