Author Topic: HDMI Connection  (Read 2027 times)

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HDMI Connection
« on: Feb 27, 2007 at 09:19 PM »
Guys, is there really a great difference in the video reception using HDMI connection vs the Component (progressive) connection? Thanks for any info or help. 

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
Re: HDMI Connection
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 09:46 PM »
some say its not noticable, or at least not worth the expense, but if you're on your way to replacing your player anyway and planning on to HDTV, or if you're set up already and just need the cable, then do so, you will notice details are much clearer. it may not be like vcd pq to dvd pq difference but it will maximize the potential of your flat panel specially on large size ones ;) , small but appreciable difference, colors are better too.
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 09:49 AM »
what're acceptable brands/models of HDMI cables and how much are they?

what are you using, how much is it and where dya buy it?

thanks!

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 07:52 PM »
monster cable price is exaggerated here, almost 2x US price, so i bought  DAIYO HDMI cable, its 24k gold plated ends and hi-elastic pvc braided jacket, cost me P2700 last 0ct'06 from acoustic space in mega 5th floor, a lot less than monster but it does the job ;)
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 08:04 PM »
brand doesn't matter. as long as you get a signal you're good to go. check this out:
Maybe this will help people understand HDMI cables...

jambam is selling hdmi cables at the ht marketplace. i bought mine from him. very affordable and works terrific w/ my ps3

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 11:27 AM »
I maintain both hdmi and component connections on a 40" LCD and 120" projected ...reason:
sometimes video is too grainy when using hdmi, and sometimes aspect ratio cannot be displayed correctly...when this
is the case I watch on component.

if watching poor quality f*kes...then it won't even matter   ;D

hard to notice a difference from 10ft away (what's your viewing distance?) on a 40" lcd most of the time.

Guys, is there really a great difference in the video reception using HDMI connection vs the Component (progressive) connection? Thanks for any info or help. 

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 12:01 PM »
I maintain both hdmi and component connections on a 40" LCD and 120" projected ...reason:
sometimes video is too grainy when using hdmi, and sometimes aspect ratio cannot be displayed correctly...when this
is the case I watch on component.

aha!!! thx for the tip!!  8) 8)  i believe the above statement in bold. seen it last sunday while auditioning.

allen,
yun pala yun! baka component connection will solve the graininess! :)

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 01:17 PM »
aha!!! thx for the tip!!  8) 8)  i believe the above statement in bold. seen it last sunday while auditioning.

allen,
yun pala yun! baka component connection will solve the graininess! :)

maybe :P

i still have my old component based dvd player.. so i can test once we the unit and it gets delivered to my house haha
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 01:51 PM »
maybe :P

i still have my old component based dvd player.. so i can test once we the unit and it gets delivered to my house haha

next week pa yun at the earliest!! hehehe. j/k! :P ;D ;D

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2007 at 04:25 PM »
Old article (2005) but still applicable today:

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

The problem is that we just don't know exactly how the 480i DVD signal will be handled by a given player and TV; thus, the only way to say which is better is to do an actual comparison.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2007 at 04:35 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2007 at 10:39 PM »
Updated April 3, '06: http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdmi-cable.html

Is a digital connection better than an analog connection?  The answer is not that simple.

========================================================

The primary reason for the HDMI standard's existence is copy protection (HDCP), and everything else is secondary thereto.

According to the linked article, component cables offer a tighter control over cable impedance than HDMI cables.  Instead of coaxial cables, the HDMI cable standard uses twisted copper pairs.  "The problem with twisted pair is that it is not possible to maintain the same tight control over impedance as instead is possible with coaxial cables. ... (P)oor impedance control leads to signal reflections along a DVI or HDMI cable between source and sink, interfering with the bitstream originating from the source."

Despite this, manufacturers insist on passing upconverted and high definition signals only on HDMI.  Why?  Because it's what the studios want. Why?  Because the studios want the copy protection that HDMI can provide.

As early as last year, digitaltrends.com's Dennis Barker wrote:

"Why won’t these new players (or future recorders) pass along a 1080i signal? Because component video is an analog connector, not a digital one. The content providers (Hollywood Studios) are so concerned about piracy that they want the hardware manufacturers to turn off component video altogether.   ...  This is a major dilemma, and no one is talking about it. The content providers want all audio and video signals sent via HDMI, as it features robust copy protection and it’s an all digital connector (versus the old analog component video connector)."  (The Impeding Dilemma of Component Video; Dennis Barker; February 19th, 2006; http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback102.html)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 10:03 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2007 at 08:13 AM »
The other thing to note is that although component analog can physically carry 1080p, most of the HD-DVD/BD players will max out the component connectors at 720p/1080i, and only turn on 1080p on the HDMI connectors due to reasons mentioned by barrister.

Now that it's reported the copy protection on the Blu-ray and HD DVD formats has been broken....manufacturers will always find themselves patching their backdoors while their front doors are broken.. Also the earlier proposed ICT (Image Constraint Token) feature is now seems pointless.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2007 at 08:13 AM by pchin »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007 at 09:53 PM »
What's the Matter with HDMI?
by Kurt Demke
-- last modified May 18, 2007 19:04

How the designers of the HDMI standard
screwed up, and what's to be done about it.

HDMI, as we've pointed out elsewhere, is a format which was designed primarily to serve the interests of the content-provider industries, not to serve the interests of the consumer. The result is a mess, and in particular, the signal is quite hard to route and switch, cable assemblies are unnecessarily complicated, and distance runs are chancy. Why is this, and what did the designers of the standard do wrong? And what can we do about it?

xxx

Full text: http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/whats-the-matter-with-hdmi
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 09:56 PM by barrister »

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007 at 09:40 AM »
baka may interested sa HDMI cable, i have a spare DAIY na HDMI cable, bought it 2.7k dito sa sm north (the store selling hk in cyberzone) 2 months ago, selling it for 2k na lang.  You may contact me at 0917-8320602.