Author Topic: Samsung 32" LCD Question  (Read 991 times)

Offline agwe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • über-techie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Samsung 32" LCD Question
« on: Mar 05, 2007 at 08:21 AM »
Hi. I've wanted to purchase an lcd tv for the longest time, and with the recent price drops and very consumer friendly looooong zero percent interest schemes, I think that it might be time for me to take the plunge and get one.

i've scouted around and narrowed it down to either philips or samsung, but with samsung's really really affordable prices i might just head that way.

just have a question to samsung owners.

which one to purchase and why?  the sonoma (s71) which is 59k, the bordeaux (r71) at 69 and moser (N71) at 79.

i'm leaning towards the bordeaux and sonoma.  actually wanted a tiny 26 incher bordeaux but looking at its specs, it's closer to the sonoma than the bordeaux (3000:1 contrast ratio for the bordeaux 26").

i'm more confused than ever. . . and there's this techie friend of mine whispering in my ear that i should hold off purchases till 3rd or 4th quarter this year when prices would've dropped further when true 1080p displays are more commonplace and i would have a choice to buy a much cheaper 1080i tv or a 1080p display.

argh. . please obiwan kenobi. . you're my only hope. heheh

Offline squatt3r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Samsung 32" LCD Question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2007 at 09:05 AM »
i'm only the same boat as with agwe. guide us oh great gurus!

Offline Jett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2007 at 09:31 AM »

Try going to Abenson's Greenhills (the one beside Chili's) sa corner ng Missouri and Connecticut. They have the 3 Samsung models side by side. I'm not sure though if they're all hooked up to one player. You could bring along some of your DVDs so you could compare them. If you want to compare them with the Philips, Abenson's Galleria has them side by side (along with the Toshiba and Sharp Aquos).

Like you, I was eyeing the Sony, Philips and Samsung before I decided to purchase the Philips 32PF7321 yesterday. I went with the Philips based on recommendations from a couple of PinoyDVD members (they said the Philips displayed cable tv broadcast better than the other two). This was a major factor for me because I want to use it to watch cable TV and not just with my DVD player and Xbox 360.

Regarding holding off the purchase - there will always be something new and prices will always drop. :) I've read somewhere the difference between 720p and 1080p is not that noticeable for LCDs that are less than 40" so you might want to consider that as well in case you are only looking at getting a 32".

Offline Maulller

• Apprentice
  • Outer Haven
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2007 at 02:04 PM »
Try going to Abenson's Greenhills (the one beside Chili's) sa corner ng Missouri and Connecticut. They have the 3 Samsung models side by side. I'm not sure though if they're all hooked up to one player. You could bring along some of your DVDs so you could compare them. If you want to compare them with the Philips, Abenson's Galleria has them side by side (along with the Toshiba and Sharp Aquos).

Like you, I was eyeing the Sony, Philips and Samsung before I decided to purchase the Philips 32PF7321 yesterday. I went with the Philips based on recommendations from a couple of PinoyDVD members (they said the Philips displayed cable tv broadcast better than the other two). This was a major factor for me because I want to use it to watch cable TV and not just with my DVD player and Xbox 360.

Regarding holding off the purchase - there will always be something new and prices will always drop. :) I've read somewhere the difference between 720p and 1080p is not that noticeable for LCDs that are less than 40" so you might want to consider that as well in case you are only looking at getting a 32".

@jett, how much did you get the philips 32PF7321? hows the tv when watching cable? please give feedback. Thanks!

Offline Jett

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2007 at 02:19 PM »
@Maulller : I got it for 62k with a free HTIB (model is HTS-3100) at Abenson's Galleria. Listed price was 69k. I did a straight charge on my card.

The unit was just delivered this morning, did some quick tests. I'll do some more testing tonight. :)